Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who was your Man of the Match today?

Pepe Reina
      (58.8%)
      Steven Gerrard
      (1.1%)
      Lucas
      (6.2%)
      Glen Johnson
      (16.9%)
      Emiliano Insua
      (1.7%)
      Yossi Benayoun
      (15.3%)

Tottenham 2 - 1 Liverpool: Post Match Anger

Read 37076 times
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Re: Tottenham 2 - 1 Liverpool: Post Match Anger
      Reply #345: Aug 17, 2009 03:20:44 pm
      Masch needs a lil bit of discipline which would see him a long way in improving as a player.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #346: Aug 17, 2009 03:22:00 pm
      Well, Xabi was the peacemaker between Masch and Bennett and Arby and Carra!!!
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,849 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #347: Aug 17, 2009 03:48:53 pm
      The only way is up ! i do think we are short of a couple of players but this doesn't seem like it's gonna happen so Rafa needs to give the boys some proper hard words and get their acts together,we are better than this performance ,this needs to be the last  game we lose this season c'mon lads do the biz !
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #348: Aug 17, 2009 03:53:49 pm
      What the hell is going on with the team. The defeat is down to the fact that we have been f*****g INCONSISTENT, INCONSISTENT, INCONSISTENT, INCONSISTENT, INCONSISTENT, INCONSISTENT. We're back to our old ways. When the hell are we going to be consistent? One moment world beater next moment schoolboy football. I thought we've overcome the inconsistency problem way back towards the end of last season and we are back at it again. What the hell is going on? Have the players lost the appetite or they just woke up from a deep slumber? The team needs to be consistent to be champion. Rafa, you will have to be the "slave driver" and uses the sledgehammer from this very moment, no more mr. Nice Guy, kick the players' arse to get their act together, right now. They don't get paid thousands of GBP weekly for those shitty football and get us fans upset all over. They have spoilt my day at work today and I believe millions around the globe as well. And Rafa, please take note, the scums, arse n chelski made those accurate passes with 1 or 2 touch of the ball with other players in advance position, we 3,4 or 5 touches, even so the balls were always a few yards off the target and players all over the pitch except where they are supposed to be, that'll never unsettle the opposition. Next, passsing from fullbacks to midfielders and midfielders back to the backs in full circle, achieving nothing, cut this stupid act out. Rafa we're in the EPL not Serie A.

What irks me most is the players stroked the ball around as if we have another 10-hours more to go in the match when we were only 10 minutes away from a defeat. F**k just ram at their defence and show some fierce fighting spirit and never say die attitude, someone somewhere will make the mistakes for us to score. Many may disagree, but at least Voronin had the balls to get into the opposition box to create havoc, and nearly got us a penalty if not for that faggot ref, others took it as if it's a DMZ, most welcome by spurs. Stroking the ball around took hell of a time and we had to wait till kingdom come before a clear cut scoring opportunity is created. The rule of probability tells us that the more scoring opportunities created the better chance of winning a game. That's exactly what we did way back last season, why back to the old lackadaisical way of doing things??? I just don't understand.

Next is, Rafa has to work on those 50/50 balls and get the players to be more competitive, it's irritating to see what we're made of, except Masch, he's just about the only Ironman around. Maybe for a start some wrestling sessions for the weaker players would help to toughten them up. As for babel I'd suggest that he stops his dribbling immediately, he's no Maradona and he needs to use his speed to go pass defenders. Defenders already knows everything about his dribbling. He dribbles to the left, to the right, back to the left and right, next he lost possession. Someone go tell him, to look up where the hell are his teamates and don't just focus on his foot, the ball and the opposition player's legs.

Rafa, passing the ball around well is already a must for the players, no need to over demonstrate it on the field and get us fans bored all over and yet won't win us games. Work on the lightning speed movement of the players and their positioning and the one 2-passes that splits the opposition defence that'll do us a world of a good. Sad to say look at the scums, when on the offensive their passes, positioning are so fluid that they must have rehearsed it many times over during training. I've said it time and again, something is very wrong with our training which requires a revamp, the impression I get is the players may just stroked the ball around during training, nothing more. Scoring opportunities are few and scarce we might as well have an intensive training on shooting for everyone from outside the box which includes the defenders. Perhaps Agger can lend a helping hand here. Lastly, we have to be close to the opposition players to mark them out of a game where the scums did it quite well, sadly we need to learn from them.

« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2009 05:48:27 pm by redkop63, Reason: spelling error »
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #349: Aug 17, 2009 04:50:06 pm
      I'm finding it a bit on the amusing side of things that everyone is still bitching about yesterday.

Fact of the matter is we lost to a very good team who're well disciplined and well organised all over the pitch, there's no shame in losing to a Spurs team that quite frankly i think will be knocking on the door of the top 5 this season. If we'd lost in that fashion to Hull, Stoke or, God forbid, Everton then there'd be cause for almighty uproar but no. We lost to a good team, it happens and everyone should now just get over it.

Yes we probably should've had at least one more penalty but then again Crystal Palace should've had a goal shouldn't they and they didn't. Bad decisions happen in football and you've just got to accept that no matter how galling it is.

One defeat doesn't make us a steaming pile of sh*t, there's 37 games left and i still think we'll be top of the pile after those games.

Let's start as we mean to go on by hammering 4 or more past Stoke eh?

We are Liverpool and we'll never walk alone!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #350: Aug 17, 2009 04:57:33 pm

LIVERPOOL

Jose Reina - 7.0 - Produced a wonder save to deny Keane from close range, then again moments later, but was helpless to stop Assou-Ekotto’s piledriver flying into his top corner. Made another flying save from Palacios in the second period, but was left exposed by his defenders at Bassong's clincher.

Glen Johnson - 7.0 - The £18m purchase was bought for his attacking ability as much as his defensive qualities, and his marauding run through Spurs' defence prompted Gomes to bring him down and win his side a valuable penalty.

Jamie Carragher - 5.5 - Played with a huge bandage protecting staples in a gash on his head, and seemed affected by the blow as Keane was given time and space in the area on three separate occasions. Let Bassong escape him for the winning goal.

Martin Skrtel - 5.5 - Struggled following clash of heads with partner Carragher, and struggled to keep tabs on the movement of Defoe and Keane afterwards. Eventually had to be replaced due to the knock he received, and it was an afternoon to forget for the Slovakian.

Emiliano Insua - 6.0 - Given the nod at left-back and dealt reasonably well with the threat of Lennon, but his delivery in the final third on his rare forays forward were not of sufficient quality.

Javier Mascherano - 6.5 - An extremely difficult afternoon for the Argentine, who found it tough get the better of Palacios in the centre of the pitch. He could not exert his influence on the match as he would have liked.

Lucas - 5.0 - Given the unenviable role of replacing Xabi Alonso in Liverpool's engine room, and was completely anonymous as the Reds were dominated in central midfield. Offered little as an offensive threat, and could not get the better of the impressive Palacios.

Dirk Kuyt - 5.5 - The Dutchman has warmed to his switch from striker to right winger, but for all his enterprise he struggled to provide any kind of service to Torres, and rarely managed to infiltrate the Spurs back-line.

Steven Gerrard - 6.5 - Not at his vibrant best, although may not be fully fit, but remained the only Liverpool player who appeared dangerous in the final third. Coolly slotted home the penalty that brought his side level, but will be hugely disappointed at an opening day defeat.

Ryan Babel - 5.5 - Surely this must be the season for Babel to come to prominence, but it was another inadequate performance from the Dutchman. Rarely drove at Corluka, who is not a natural full-back, and was unsurprisingly hooked by Benitez just after the hour mark.

Fernando Torres - 6.0 - The Spaniard was starved of service all afternoon, and got little change out of the impressive King and Bassong partnership. Cut a lonely figure as Gerrard dropped deeper to gain possession, and was isolatd by his teammates inability to provide him with any kind of decent chances on goal.

Substitutes

Yossi Benayoun - 5.0 - Looked infinitely more dangerous during his short period on the pitch that Babel, and slipped a superb pass through to Voronin that should have resulted in a penalty being awarded.

Andriy Voronin - 5.0 - May be his last match for Liverpool is reports are to be believed, but was denied a certain penalty kick in the closing stages after he was clearly fouled as he looked to shoot.

Daniel Ayala - N/A

Saw these rating on Liverpool newsnow - yahoo what do people think, I think they are a fair assessment.

Load of sh*te, to say Lucas was worse Ryan Babel is taking the piss. Babel is a lazy b***ard who just doesn't look arsed. At least Lucas was having a go!
      Scott Barton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,552 posts |
      Reply #351: Aug 17, 2009 05:01:18 pm
      So we have Stoke on Wednesday, looking ahead eases things

Sure yesterday was sh*te, however in the grand scheme of the season doesnt mean much. If we play the same and lose to Stoke i will worry, i do think all areas of the pitch before and we played way too negatively and unintelligent but 37 more to go, and we should still keep the faith
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #352: Aug 17, 2009 08:06:10 pm
      It was a very tough opening fixture for us playing against a more balanced side and one with much more attacking and creative options than ourselves.
      Best thing is to just move on and improve our intensity in the upocoming games by playing much more adventurous instead of being so cagey.

We will bounce back well, the guys will be gutted by this result.
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #353: Aug 17, 2009 08:16:58 pm
      I think all Reds supporters out there need to calm down and see this as a blip. Yes we were sluggish. We were devoid of creativity at most times. We did lack urgency, which let Spurs dictate a lot of the play.

We are rusty. We have injury concerns, but hell, it's just the beginning. Obviously we want to win every game, but it's not to be. We must look forward and not go into panic stations.

We can rectify our standing and confidence with a solid performance in midweek, and get the ball rolling.

I don't need to remind anyone that this season is critical. We absolutely must land the title and not let our fiercest rival take our throne outright.

We are LIVERPOOL. We are a Majestic club. It's time we sit on top of the pile again and return to our glorious days of Lording over all comers. We have the pedigree, and we will return to past glory.

We must believe. We have 37 matches left. We have other cups to still play for. We showed last season what we are capable of. We humiliated a very Un-Royal Madrid and opened up a deep wound and gave them a very Red reality check.
      We gave ManUre a hiding that reverberated around the globe, in such a way that would scar them for a long time. We gave our best in the title run and almost got there.

We must believe. Our players have started slowly, yes, but they will fire. We also still have Aquilani to look forward to seeing, and God willing, another attacking option that hopefully will be signed soon.

In the meantime, we must regroup, and hopefully give some youngsters small tastes of action here and there. I very much want to see Nemeth, and Pacheco, and try different options once in a while, even if it's 10 or 15 minutes. We mustn't become predictable and one-dimensional ( which we definitely were in seasons gone by).

We can do it, and will do it.

We must believe.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #354: Aug 17, 2009 08:18:17 pm
      Well we should give up now I reckon if we perform like that again, and I don't just mean at the back but the team as a whole did not click and ultimately lost us the game, where was the attack? Gerrard probably scores them chances in his sleep (which sounds harsh I know) but at least he had a crack I guess. 

I hate to say it but I think Torres may be nursing something (lets just hope its pre season form) which he can stride out of against Stoke, and for gods sake don't risk Carra again I nearly shat me pants when he went crashing into Skrtel and he needs recovery time (even if it's just 45 mins against Stoke)

Overall I think we underperformed and have a mountain to climb if we wanna be in with a shout this year, having said that Spurs did look fresh and up for a game but that's the point they are Spurs and we are Liverpool!

PS I can't knock either goal, F**k my fingers killed writing that!
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #355: Aug 17, 2009 08:39:24 pm
      What is worrying is that on the one hand our defending was poor and on the other we didnt create too much especially in the first half. Sounds very much the same as last year in the games we drew. We havent learnt much and we still have last seasons problems unresolved.
      If we dont start strongly against Stoke we will be in for another frustrating night.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #356: Aug 17, 2009 08:49:17 pm
      Its taken until now for me to even look at the forum - disappointment, dissolution and disgust... I also didn't want to come on here and just F n Jeff about the performance...

Lets be honest, we played badly. We were too scared to lose, not playing to win. Do the players believe that we have already won the Prem?

I can only think of one player who was at a suitable standard and that was Reina - if he plays like that all season we have a very safe pair of hands! Spurs looked fresh - we looked desperately short of match practice. Going forward we had nothing! I remember saying at half time we looked light weight up fount. With Gerrard and Torres this should not be the case!

We missed Xabi - big time. That forward pass slicing defences, the maturity of putting his foot on the ball and keeping position. The amount of times I was yelling at the screen - play the simple ball... We gave away so much so easily. Lucas didn't step up to the mark, Babbel may as well not have played. Did he even have a shot? Did Lucas play one through ball? Do we have anyone who can do what Xabi did week in week out? Can we wait for our new signing to be fit or do we need someone now?

You have to take positives from every game - even these ones. Glen looked like a good buy - Reina is world class - Skirtle is possibly the hardest person on the planet - Yossi as always offers us something different.

There are some serious questions that need to be asked - the only saving grace is we have Rafa to ask them and the class on the pitch to turn this around - that and I cant remember any team winning the league on the first weak of the season.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #357: Aug 18, 2009 06:55:31 am
      Xabi Alonso played against Stoke, Boro, West Ham, Hull, Tottenham amongst so many other games where we were just plain sh*t, he is not God!

He will be missed but move the F**k on everyone. He's gone, he didnt want to be here, Alberto and Lucas do.

Quick Reply