Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 3rd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W3 D0 L0

Steven Taylor (Newcastle)

Read 2543 times
      Brooklyn Red
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Steven Taylor (Newcastle)
      Aug 18, 2009 03:10:37 pm
      Liverpool FC join battle to sign Steven Taylor

STEVEN TAYLOR’S future at Newcastle United was still unclear today – despite the homegrown defender’s inclusion in the squad to face Sheffield Wednesday tomorrow night.

And it has emerged that while Everton remain interested in signing the former England Under-21 captain, they could be trumped by their Merseyside city rivals Liverpool, who are also in the market for a centre-back ahead of their marathon Premier League and Champions League campaign.

The Chronicle was today alerted to the Kop club’s interest in Taylor, while Martin O’Neill at Aston Villa has also been made aware of the Whitley Bay lad’s disillusionment on Tyneside by former team-mates Habib Beye and James Milner.

Many United supporters believed Taylor had played his last game in a black-and-white shirt after he stayed on the pitch longer than usual to acknowledge the Toon fans following the 3-0 win over Reading.

Everton are still interested in Taylor, but nothing will be clear regarding a switch to Goodison Park until the soap opera surrounding Manchester City’s £20m target Joleon Lescott is concluded – and Arsenal defender Philippe Senderos is also being tracked by "The Chosen One".

Should Taylor quit United when the window shuts in 13 days’ time, it would leave the Mags woefully short in the centre-back department especially as Fabricio Coloccini has been linked with a move to Barcelona-based La Liga outfit Espanyol.

The blow of losing Taylor would be softened somewhat if United can pull off the acquisition of former England defender Sol Campbell, although many United fans would love to see the two tough-tackling defenders paired together in what would arguably be the most glamorous centre-back duo in the Championship.

Meanwhile, Newcastle were still confident of attracting another big crowd for the clash with the Owls tomorrow night.

Fans can gain admission to certain sections of the ground for as little as £20 for adults and £10 for children.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/08/18/liverpool-fc-join-battle-to-sign-steven-taylor-72703-24467570/
      Darkone
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 770 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Re: Steven Taylor (Newcastle)
      Reply #1: Aug 18, 2009 03:21:24 pm
      He is a RB, right? I hope he is a very good CB too, if we are going to sign him. Newcastle sold that guy scored against us on Sunday for like 8m. I don't know how much they will want for Taylor?
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #2: Aug 18, 2009 03:23:20 pm
      He is a RB, right? I hope he is a very good CB too, if we are going to sign him. Newcastle sold that guy scored against us on Sunday for like 8m. I don't know how much they will want for Taylor?

No he's naturally a CB. I would welcome him to Anfield. He seems loyal, staying at Newcastle so many years, and he's certainly not a bad option for 4th choice CB.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,334 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #3: Aug 18, 2009 03:25:11 pm
      Steven Taylor is a center back, Im not sure if he's played at right back sometimes, bu you might be thinking of the other Taylor at Newcastle, Ryan Taylor, who is a fullback/winger.
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #4: Aug 18, 2009 03:30:00 pm
      He was very good against Arsenal last season ...think he' be good and hopefully he'd come on the cheap or maybe even a loan would be good too .
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #5: Aug 18, 2009 03:34:10 pm
      Would be happy with this. Very committed and good in the air, would need to sort out his positional play a bit better and his sometimes rash challenges but rafa would sort this out.

A good option but I would also be happy with Sol Campbell on the cheap as well.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #6: Aug 18, 2009 03:40:03 pm

They'll probably ask around £12m.  You know how it works.  Damn you small clubs.  ;)
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Reply #7: Aug 18, 2009 03:41:59 pm
      12 Mill for a fourth choice?

I'm not sure Taylor would be happy joining us if he's going to be behind 3 centre backs for the majority of the season. Not that I'd complain if he did join he's a promising player but where would he fit in the team after Agger and Skrtel get back to full fitness.
      JayP
      • Forum David Johnson

• 244 posts |
      • It's Rush!
      Reply #8: Aug 18, 2009 04:15:27 pm
      Steven Taylor is a center back, Im not sure if he's played at right back sometimes, bu you might be thinking of the other Taylor at Newcastle, Ryan Taylor, who is a fullback/winger.
      That too Ryan is a left-sided player.

A good option but I would also be happy with Sol Campbell on the cheap as well.
      Sol Campbell too disloyal for me. I know we would not be looking for loyalty if we signed him, but what he did to Spurs stinks of Mcmanaman/Owen. And it makes me sick.
      12 Mill for a fourth choice?

I'm not sure Taylor would be happy joining us if he's going to be behind 3 centre backs for the majority of the season. Not that I'd complain if he did join he's a promising player but where would he fit in the team after Agger and Skrtel get back to full fitness.

Agreed on pretty much everything.
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #9: Aug 18, 2009 04:33:50 pm
      If we get him cheap or on loan that would be good , otherwise we really can't afford to spend much on someone who is fourth choice .... but with Agger's recurring problem and Skrtel and Carra banging into eachother I think it would get ample playing time .
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #10: Aug 18, 2009 04:40:20 pm
      Won't happen, he wont want to be 4th choice.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #11: Aug 18, 2009 04:45:05 pm
      Funny as it sounds, i think he's happy where he is.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,150 posts | 3385 
      Reply #12: Aug 18, 2009 07:54:57 pm
      He's overrated, very prone to mistakes and shouldn't be anywhere near our radar. If we're dipping into the Championship, the choice is Mark Beevers from Sheff Wed. Simple as that.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #13: Aug 18, 2009 08:13:11 pm
      I agree Beevers has great potential and surely Wednesday wouldn't be looking fot twelve million for him, actually bought him on Football manager for Liverpool and he went onto to be an England regular
      philH
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 628 posts |
      Reply #14: Aug 18, 2009 09:08:44 pm
      Would be quite happy with Taylor as seems to give 100% - although prone to the odd- mistake if he came although £12million is ott. Campbell is absolutly dreadful my 89 year old gran is quicker than him not even a shadow of the player who played for England.We would be having major problems with him in our back line
      bri1970
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      Reply #15: Aug 18, 2009 09:14:09 pm
      I like Taylor but i think he would be too expensive for a fourth choice CB.

I seem to agree with some of the other quotes, that he is happy where he is.
      adie
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      • Olde big ears home to stay.
      Reply #16: Aug 18, 2009 09:35:38 pm
      Better the devil you know!!! He is versatile and could be good cover at r/back, but 4.5 mill tops >:D >:D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #17: Aug 18, 2009 10:28:35 pm
      Funny as it sounds, I think he's happy where he is.

I agree actually. Like Stevie he is playing for the club he truly loves.
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #18: Aug 19, 2009 07:33:23 am
      I don't want him here. If memory serves me correctly, he tried to start sh*t with our Pepe when we beat the Magpies 5-1. For that reason i wouldn't feel right bringing him here.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #19: Aug 19, 2009 08:20:20 am
      Out of all the defenders we have been linked with off late, he is the only one I would like to see us bring in. Still very young and a lot of potential I thought he did really well at Newcastle but its hard to earn your bread as a defender when your side is in a relegation battle from day one.
      Liverpool_babe
      • Forum John Toshack

• 275 posts |
      • So maybe not our year... I still love LFC!
      Reply #20: Aug 19, 2009 10:06:03 am
      Three-way battle for Newcastle's Steven Taylor as Premier League trio Aston Villa, Fulham and Everton plan defender bid
      Posted : 50 mins ago

ston Villa, Fulham and Everton are locked in a three-way fight for Newcastle United's Steven Taylor.

The former England Under-21 international is the subject of enquiries from all  three clubs but at the moment, none have matched the £6m asking price.

The centre-half signalled that he was going to leave St James' Park by  undertaking a personal lap of honour after the 3-0 defeat of Reading last  weekend.

But with both Villa and Everton in desperate need of defensive reinforcements,  it is likely that they will return with a hard bid that is close to the fee.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1207554/Aston-Villa-Fulham-Everton-locked-way-battle-Newcastle-United-defender-Steven-Taylor.html#ixzz0OcNekxPv

No mention of us :(

Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #21: Aug 19, 2009 10:07:47 am
      Well if we've snapped up Kyrgiakos then I highly doubt he'll be heading our way.
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #22: Aug 19, 2009 03:29:18 pm
      Just heard from a fairly reliable source that Joleon Lescott has signed for Manchester City for £20M and Steven Taylor has joined from Newcastle as a replacement for £7M.

Do not have a link however, could be a complete lie, but I'm fairly confident it's true!

Quick Reply