Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Which system do you prefer?

PlayStation 3
      (57.4%)
      XBox 360
      (35.1%)
      Don't like either of 'em
      (7.4%)

PS3 v Xbox 360

Read 49931 times
      iiBonKeRsS
      • Banned

• 162 posts |
      • Reppin' Liverpool FC Since 1892.
      Re: PS3 Or Xbox 360?!
      Reply #322: Dec 21, 2011 05:33:59 pm
      This sh*t still goes on? xD

They both suck and are using 6 year old hardware, a real man should use a PC to game :P

But between those two it is level, 360 has the better online community and Multiplatform games (FIFA, CoD etc) all perform better on it.
      PS3 has the better exclusive titles and free, but inferior online service.

Add me: AlwaysTheKop (XBL, PSN, Origin, Steam)

I'll add you on PS3 later.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Re: PS3 v Xbox 360
      Reply #323: Dec 22, 2011 01:11:03 am
      Its Impossible to debate. They both have good and bad. Personally I would choose 360, I just think they managed to get better games overall, wider selection and can be used to anchor and work in a moderate home network and media system. Especially with the new Wifi enabled 360's. Xbox Live is far superior for Online play. It is a pay service and although PS3 Network is free, you get "Free" problems.

I like the look and design of the PS3 and I think the 'Technology" and the ability for up-scaling seems a bit more rooted on the PS3's . Bluray is a real big plus for some and that alone can sway opinion.

I wouldnt go near Wii.  Nintendo hasn't been relevant in 10 years. They lack vision and any sort of innovation anymore.  Their library of games are the same tired, mishmash of "Nintendo" characters like Donkey Kong, Mario, Zelda in different games.  Mario or Mario Kart or Mario vs Donkey Kong or Mario Land or Mario Land Racing or Mario Galaxy or Paper Mario, Donkey Kart or blah,blah,blah
      Bier
      Reply #324: Dec 22, 2011 02:59:04 am
      I wouldn't say Nintendo isn't relevant, could even say they're more relevant than PS3 or 360. The Wii easily surpasses the 360 and PS3 in total sales. It just has a different target audience, mostly a children's and family console.

And graphically they might not be innovative, but surely their controllers and some of their games have been. So much so that the PS3 and 360 followed and introduced Move and Kinect, because they realise how big that market is.

I personally think Nintendo had more vision than Microsoft and Sony. Microsoft and Sony just continued to do what they've always done, aimed at the same gamer's market. Nintendo made a clear choice for a different target audience, with great succes. Games like Wii Fit and Wii Sport are just genius, and have opened up the gaming market for a completely different audience. And it's the same with the Nintendo DS, by far the most sold handheld.

Sony really lost a huge chunk of their marketshare to Nintendo, and even to Microsoft who doubled their sales compared to the previous Xbox. And Nintendo are going to be the first to release a new console also next June.
      « Last Edit: Dec 22, 2011 03:52:26 am by Bier »
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #325: Dec 22, 2011 05:36:47 am
      I wouldn't say Nintendo isn't relevant, could even say they're more relevant than PS3 or 360. The Wii easily surpasses the 360 and PS3 in total sales. It just has a different target audience, mostly a children's and family console.

And graphically they might not be innovative, but surely their controllers and some of their games have been. So much so that the PS3 and 360 followed and introduced Move and Kinect, because they realise how big that market is.

I personally think Nintendo had more vision than Microsoft and Sony. Microsoft and Sony just continued to do what they've always done, aimed at the same gamer's market. Nintendo made a clear choice for a different target audience, with great succes. Games like Wii Fit and Wii Sport are just genius, and have opened up the gaming market for a completely different audience. And it's the same with the Nintendo DS, by far the most sold handheld.

Sony really lost a huge chunk of their marketshare to Nintendo, and even to Microsoft who doubled their sales compared to the previous Xbox. And Nintendo are going to be the first to release a new console also next June.
      Maybe irrelevant was a bit strong. Their system was innovative when it was introduced, but even then it was never really geared to the hard, wide market of "Gamers". With that being said, Nintendo's focus seems to be on Family and the C, E, E10 and T rated games. So that puts them in a different class of Gaming compared to Sony and Xbox who are primarily driven to expand the marketplace in wider areas. 

Granted when Wii came out with the Motion controller Sony and Xbox played catchup to the whole "Motion" technology. The Wii sales are about 60% more than the 360 or PS3, but in the gaming world the Wii is not a "Hardcore" gamers machine. Its still considered a "Toy" where the Xbox ans PS3 are considered Media System and/or computers.

My main Issue with Nintendo is their lack of foresight, their laziness and apparent lack of creativity when it comes to their games.  It just seems like they constantly tread on the same tired characters, instead of trying to start from scratch and make an attempt to bring new characters and breathe new life into the brand.  Regardless if Nintendo bring out a new system next summer, it would need to be a real game changer to bring any pressure onto Xbox or Sony.  Its there too, we saw it when Microsoft broke in. They had a solid piece of hardware, a solid library of games and developers and the foresight to take the crown from Sony. Nintendo need to shift back to making a hard core system and come out with a Nintendo specific game that everyone wants.  When the first Playstation came out it was revolutionary and they had games like Tomb Raider then Metal Gear Solid which took a major chunk of Nintendo's and Sega's business, so much Sega never recovered.  When the First Xbox came out they had HALO which was HUGE and Xbox has been a top seller since. Then 360 had Gears of War and everyone wanted it.
      Games sell systems. It doesnt matter how good or bad the machine is, if you have a game everyone wants to play and you sell the only system to play that game, guess what? Your rich.
      Bier
      Reply #326: Dec 22, 2011 06:50:59 am
      Maybe irrelevant was a bit strong. Their system was innovative when it was introduced, but even then it was never really geared to the hard, wide market of "Gamers". With that being said, Nintendo's focus seems to be on Family and the C, E, E10 and T rated games. So that puts them in a different class of Gaming compared to Sony and Xbox who are primarily driven to expand the marketplace in wider areas. 

Granted when Wii came out with the Motion controller Sony and Xbox played catchup to the whole "Motion" technology. The Wii sales are about 60% more than the 360 or PS3, but in the gaming world the Wii is not a "Hardcore" gamers machine. Its still considered a "Toy" where the Xbox ans PS3 are considered Media System and/or computers.

My main Issue with Nintendo is their lack of foresight, their laziness and apparent lack of creativity when it comes to their games.  It just seems like they constantly tread on the same tired characters, instead of trying to start from scratch and make an attempt to bring new characters and breathe new life into the brand.  Regardless if Nintendo bring out a new system next summer, it would need to be a real game changer to bring any pressure onto Xbox or Sony.  Its there too, we saw it when Microsoft broke in. They had a solid piece of hardware, a solid library of games and developers and the foresight to take the crown from Sony. Nintendo need to shift back to making a hard core system and come out with a Nintendo specific game that everyone wants.  When the first Playstation came out it was revolutionary and they had games like Tomb Raider then Metal Gear Solid which took a major chunk of Nintendo's and Sega's business, so much Sega never recovered.  When the First Xbox came out they had HALO which was HUGE and Xbox has been a top seller since. Then 360 had Gears of War and everyone wanted it.
      Games sell systems. It doesnt matter how good or bad the machine is, if you have a game everyone wants to play and you sell the only system to play that game, guess what? Your rich.

Just to make clear. I'm not saying that I prefer the Wii, I just have alot of respect for what they've done.

I don't think Nintendo should or needs to shift back at all. They're more succesful now than any other console, why would they. Why would they alienate their current market. They already have their specific games that everyone wants. Those Mario games sell better than any game on the PS3 or 360. And they're not just exclusive to the Wii, they're actually developed by Nintendo aswell. Most of their most succesful games are, which means they're making alot more money on them. They have quite a bit of franchise games too on the Wii, but they're just not as popular as the Nintendo games. So alot of people aren't getting tired of them. I really don't get why you think they should emulate Xbox or the PS with their Halo or GoW. They should build on what they already have, and try to expand. And it looks like that's exactly what they're doing.

I think the new Wii U will leave a big dent in the sales of the PS3 and 360. Because graphically it's able to compete with them. It's fully compatible with all the older Wii games, and older Wii products. And besides continueing focussing on the market they already were, they will also focus on the more serious gamers. They're setting up an online service, similar to PSN and Live. Games like Tekken, Battlefield, Assassin's Creed, Ninja Gaiden and Ghost Recon have already been announced, and there will likely be exclusives too. And ofcourse also their original games like Mario, Zelda, Super Smash Bros etc. And they'll immediately be priced competitively too. I think Sony and Microsoft will have a hard time competing at least untill their next consoles will be released. And especially in the case of Sony that's probably going to be a while.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #327: Dec 22, 2011 08:50:08 am
      With regards to the Wii, the one telling factor to me is that although they've sold ridiculous amounts of consoles, we have all either bought a Wii, played it for a couple of months and then let it gather dust or know somebody who has. It's a novelty, a gimmick for me.
      iiBonKeRsS
      • Banned

• 162 posts |
      • Reppin' Liverpool FC Since 1892.
      Reply #328: Dec 28, 2011 08:15:25 pm
      PS Vita is not selling well...
      LFCexiled
      Re: XBOX 360 help please
      Reply #329: Apr 19, 2012 07:23:31 pm
      Bump!

I didn't want to start a thread for this as it's not a massive issue so I thought a bump of this will attract you 360 heads.

I've bought myself a 360 0ff ebay but when it arrived one of the capacitors has fallen off the motherboard and after playing for a while it freezes. The more graphic heavy the game the faster the freeze (Skyrim takes seconds). Anyhoo, I was wondering if anyone knows the purpose of each capacitor so I know if it's the capacitor in question or I have an RROD brick on its way?

I've had a look on the net but I can't find any reference to each capacitor and its use.

Ta.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #330: Apr 19, 2012 07:33:29 pm
      Was the capacitor inside the motherboard in series or parallel? I have absolutely no idea how the capacitor could have fallen off; seems like such a weird fault.

You'll need to find out what sort of capictor is was, find out where abouts it goes on the mother board and see if is it possible to replace the capacitor?
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #331: Apr 19, 2012 07:38:56 pm
      If it's the flux capacitor, don't mess with it, you could find yourself back in the days of Hicks and Gillett.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #332: Apr 19, 2012 07:49:23 pm
      Was the capacitor inside the motherboard in series or parallel? I have absolutely no idea how the capacitor could have fallen off; seems like such a weird fault.

You'll need to find out what sort of capictor is was, find out where abouts it goes on the mother board and see if is it possible to replace the capacitor?

If you look at the image below in the series of 8 silver topped capacitors on the right running downwards (with a break after the third down) it's the very bottom one. There's a chance I can solder it back on but if it's not needed I won't bother. It's RROD'd a couple of times when it freezes but I've modded it with a fan directly above the chip and it's not an overheating issue. The 360 was battered in general when it come, the hard drive was all battered and the front plate smashed. For one reason and another it can't go back so a fix would be nice.

If it's the flux capacitor, don't mess with it, you could find yourself back in the days of Hicks and Gillett.

;D

I may just hook it up to a train to double check. ;D
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #333: Apr 19, 2012 08:03:26 pm
      If you look at the image below in the series of 8 silver topped capacitors on the right running downwards (with a break after the third down) it's the very bottom one. There's a chance I can solder it back on but if it's not needed I won't bother. It's RROD'd a couple of times when it freezes but I've modded it with a fan directly above the chip and it's not an overheating issue. The 360 was battered in general when it come, the hard drive was all battered and the front plate smashed. For one reason and another it can't go back so a fix would be nice.

Ahhh, I see.

Can you check the capictor that has fallen out to check what voltage and farad it is? That's if you want to replace it though. You could try putting it back in, which probably would work.

It might not be needed now but it wouldn't be healthy for your console in the long run.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #334: Apr 19, 2012 08:06:38 pm
      Ahhh, I see.

Can you check the capictor that has fallen out to check what voltage and farad it is?

It might not be needed now but it wouldn't be healthy for your console in the long run.

You're getting technical now! Is farad a unit in reference to Faraday?

Anyway, it says on it Rubycon 6.3v 2700uF MFZ if that's any help.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #335: Apr 19, 2012 08:27:50 pm
      You're getting technical now! Is farad a unit in reference to Faraday?

Anyway, it says on it Rubycon 6.3v 2700uF MFZ if that's any help.

Yeah, Michael Faraday.

It is hard to tell if it will offer any risk to your Xbox, but I have read a couple of instances that has done some damage to their RROD.

If the orginial capictor is still in decent condition, I think it might be a responable idea to attempt putting the capacitor back into the motherboard.

But if your Xbox is working well then I wouldn't worry about it for now, but if you're experiencing problems with your RROD then I would recommend installing it again. 

Just be aware that if the capacitor is faulty, then it will stop it working all together, until you removed it.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #336: Apr 19, 2012 08:32:03 pm
      Yeah, Michael Faraday.

It is hard to tell if it will offer any risk to your Xbox, but I have read a couple of instances that has done some damage to their RROD.

If the orginial capictor is still in decent condition, I think it might be a responable idea to attempt putting the capacitor back into the motherboard.

But if your Xbox is working well then I wouldn't worry about it for now, but if you're experiencing problems with your RROD then I would recommend installing it again. 

Just be aware that if the capacitor is faulty, then it will stop it working all together, until you removed it.

Good man, thanks for the help. It looks fine, I'll have a go at soldering it back on when I get a spare hour and the inclination to spend an hour doing it.

Thanks again. ;)

Quick Reply