Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Sotiris Kyrgiakos (AEK Athens)

Read 10952 times
      stevie92
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer
      • Started Topic

• 187 posts |
      Sotiris Kyrgiakos (AEK Athens)
      Aug 18, 2009 08:15:31 pm
      The Reds have made a surprise move in the Greek market as Rafa Benitez spreads his net wide in the search for reinforcement...

Teams

* AEK Athens
          * Greece
          * Liverpool

Players

* Sotiris Kyrgiakos

Liverpool have today pulled off a surprise transfer coup, and swooped for Greek international Sotiris Kyrgiakos from AEK Athens, as manager Rafa Benitez looks to reinforce his rearguard, weakened by injury in recent days.

Kyrgiakos has spent only a year back in Greece, after a career which has seen him play in Germany for Eintracht Frankfurt and in Scotland with Rangers.

talkaloadofbull.com Greece reports that the player has cost the Reds €3million, after they Merseysiders made an initial bid of  â‚¬1.5million. AEK themselves began the negotiations holding out for €5million.

The move has seemingly emerged from out of the blue, surprising Greek observers who had little or no inkling that the swoop was on the cards.

Liverpool travel to Stoke City on Wednesday night with doubts surrounding the fitness of Martin Skrtel, who has a jaw injury, though he could possibly play, and Daniel Agger, still sidelined with a back injury.

While the transfer has yet to become official, it is expected to be confirmed shortly.

Zack Wilson, talkaloadofbull.com

Im Greek hes the best Greek Cb ATM but at liverpool??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
      « Last Edit: Aug 18, 2009 08:20:49 pm by crouchinho, Reason: Title amended - include the club. »
      beardofzeus
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 47 posts |
      Re: Sotiris Kyrgiakos
      Reply #1: Aug 18, 2009 08:18:11 pm
      Just shows how much Rafa's hands are tied financially
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Sotiris Kyrgiakos
      Reply #2: Aug 18, 2009 08:19:41 pm
      Skysports.com understands Liverpool are closing in on a shock move for former Rangers defender Sotiris Kyrgiakos.

Liverpool are in the market for defensive reinforcements and it is believed they have lined up a move for AEK stopper Kyrgiakos.

The Reds have been linked with the likes of Stoke's Ryan Shawcross and Hull's Michael Turner, but Kyrgiakos appears to be a cheaper option for Rafa Benitez.

With reports of Benitez having his transfer budget restricted Liverpool have switched their attentions to Kyrgiakos and they are believed to have agreed a €3million (£2.5million) fee with AEK for the 30-year-old.

Kyrgiakos is understood to have said his goodbyes to his AEK team-mates and is now thought to be travelling to England to hold talks with Liverpool officials and undergo a medical

F'ck this is happening he hardly set the world alight at Rangers shows how low the Americans have taken us
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Re: Sotiris Kyrgiakos (AEK Athens)
      Reply #3: Aug 18, 2009 08:22:11 pm
      £2.5 million is still too much. ::)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #4: Aug 18, 2009 08:23:31 pm
      Wowzer's trousers.
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #5: Aug 18, 2009 08:45:32 pm
      Shows how much we have to play with
      StevieIsStillGod
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 288 posts | 10 
      Reply #6: Aug 18, 2009 08:50:19 pm
      Or we're getting someone on the cheap because he's going to be fourth choice once Dagger and Skrtel are healthy...

Seriously people, what big name will sign knowing in a months time they'll hardly get a look?
      LFC_Stuart_1988
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,089 posts | 45 
      Reply #7: Aug 18, 2009 08:51:35 pm
      Big lad at 6ft 5. Will do well from corners i think  ;D

Norway - Greece Euro 2008 0-1 Kyrgiakos

Sotiris Kyrgiakos moves to Liverpool
      N1ce
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 52 posts |
      Reply #8: Aug 18, 2009 08:53:58 pm
       I just wish he will "magically" become another Vidic  :-\
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #9: Aug 18, 2009 08:54:07 pm
      Or we're getting someone on the cheap because he's going to be fourth choice once Dagger and Skrtel are healthy...

Seriously people, what big name will sign knowing in a months time they'll hardly get a look?

Personally, i dont see the point in getting a top class CB but i think the swiftness of the move and the player himself, its a tad surprising.
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Reply #10: Aug 18, 2009 09:08:52 pm
      Don't know what to make of this. Guessing He'll be going straight in at Stoke though, having a giant at the back isn't a bad thing I suppose.
      adie
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      • Olde big ears home to stay.
      Reply #11: Aug 18, 2009 09:14:21 pm
      Sotiris Kyrgiakos.

Please tell me im not reading this, why let Sami go and then bring in unrated players who couldn’t make it for Rangers because he only costs 3million euro, to play for a club like we are?

This guy must think all his christmas’s have came at once, cant blame him, or Rafa if he’s not allowed to spend, YANKS MUST GO NOW NOT LATER. And before you both leave, shove your dollars where the sun dont shine and let Rafa and the fans look after the clubs assets properly.

YNWA LFC
      YANKS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE

Cheesed off and have done well not to use abusive lingo!
      « Last Edit: Aug 18, 2009 09:19:38 pm by crouchinho »
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,703 posts | 3716 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #12: Aug 18, 2009 09:16:42 pm
      If it is true, give him a chance. He must be the 4th choice. so if he is happy to stay on the bench while everyone is fit I don't give a sh*t.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #13: Aug 18, 2009 09:17:10 pm
      Sotiris Kyrgiakos.
      Please tell me im not reading this, why let Sami go and then bring in unrated players who couldn’t make it for Rangers because he only costs 3million euro, to play for a club like we are. This guy must think all his christmas’s have came at once, cant blame him, or Rafa if he’s not allowed to spend,,,, YANKS MUST GO NOW NOT LATER,, And before you both leave,,, Shove your dollars where the sun dont shine,,, and let Rafa and the fans look after the clubs assets properly…. YNWA LFC ,,,,,, YANKS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE.. Cheesed of and have done well not to use abusive lingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will fix the obvious grammar problems but he's 30, playing 4th choice and will provide experienced back up. I think thats what we need right now.

EDIT: Plus he's tall, which the others arent particularly. I think its a good move on paper.
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      Reply #14: Aug 18, 2009 09:21:44 pm
      Calm down Adie It's not that bad, we had to let Sami go he wouldn't be happy being fourth choice, atleast this guy is expierienced and cheap. Got my full support to do a job for us when he's needed.
      willkopite
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts |
      Reply #15: Aug 18, 2009 09:27:49 pm
      Is he a cheap version of Sami ? Lets give him a go.
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      Reply #16: Aug 18, 2009 09:40:42 pm
      Is he a cheap version of Sami ? Lets give him a go.

Well I doubt he possesses the same anticipation and positioning Sami did, but he is the same height :laugh: who know's maybe he'll be a massive threat from corners and get us 10 goals this season! Or atleast one.

Brooklyn Red
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #17: Aug 18, 2009 10:21:06 pm
      Reds in shock Greek link
      Kyrgiakos could be heading for Anfield

Skysports.com understands Liverpool are closing in on a shock move for former Rangers defender Sotiris Kyrgiakos.

Liverpool are in the market for defensive reinforcements and it is believed they have lined up a move for AEK stopper Kyrgiakos.

The Reds have been linked with the likes of Stoke's Ryan Shawcross and Hull's Michael Turner, but Kyrgiakos appears to be a cheaper option for Rafa Benitez.

With reports of Benitez having his transfer budget restricted Liverpool have switched their attentions to Kyrgiakos and they are believed to have agreed a €3million (£2.5million) fee with AEK for the 30-year-old.

Kyrgiakos is understood to have said his goodbyes to his AEK team-mates and is now thought to be travelling to England to hold talks with Liverpool officials and undergo a medical.
      http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5498803,00.html

Sounds like it may have happened then.
      muck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,168 posts |
      Reply #18: Aug 18, 2009 10:28:53 pm
      just saw this. not big money involved which I am glad of. sadly that may be all the money we have.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #19: Aug 18, 2009 11:06:09 pm
      Obviously people are missing the fact he was a flop at Rangers in a sh'te league, I hate the argument ah we are only paying three million and he is going to be fourth choice, come lads we need to vent our anger at the Americans.

I'd love to see where he is on Rafas wanted list. I'd be suprised if he is in his top thirty centre half. I feel sorry for Rafa and am frustrated we are such a poor club now. No new stadium, no transfer budget and no long term prospects with these clowns in charge.
      xen105
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 78 posts | -4 
      Reply #20: Aug 18, 2009 11:19:25 pm
      im greek, don't underestimate the sheer power and height this guy can bring. he will be good cover and great at set pieces. give him a go, he cant be worse then what i saw on sunday! trust me
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #21: Aug 18, 2009 11:25:07 pm
      I'm hearing he's announced that he's joined via his personal website.

Can't see anything on there though, just says "Coming soon".
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #22: Aug 18, 2009 11:26:17 pm
      Careful Rafa, you're breaking into next years budget.  These yanks must go they are turning this club into a laughing stock....

Quick Reply