Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Sotiris Kyrgiakos (AEK Athens)

Read 10954 times
      stevie92
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer
      • Started Topic

• 187 posts |
      Sotiris Kyrgiakos (AEK Athens)
      Aug 18, 2009 08:15:31 pm
      The Reds have made a surprise move in the Greek market as Rafa Benitez spreads his net wide in the search for reinforcement...

Teams

* AEK Athens
          * Greece
          * Liverpool

Players

* Sotiris Kyrgiakos

Liverpool have today pulled off a surprise transfer coup, and swooped for Greek international Sotiris Kyrgiakos from AEK Athens, as manager Rafa Benitez looks to reinforce his rearguard, weakened by injury in recent days.

Kyrgiakos has spent only a year back in Greece, after a career which has seen him play in Germany for Eintracht Frankfurt and in Scotland with Rangers.

talkaloadofbull.com Greece reports that the player has cost the Reds €3million, after they Merseysiders made an initial bid of  â‚¬1.5million. AEK themselves began the negotiations holding out for €5million.

The move has seemingly emerged from out of the blue, surprising Greek observers who had little or no inkling that the swoop was on the cards.

Liverpool travel to Stoke City on Wednesday night with doubts surrounding the fitness of Martin Skrtel, who has a jaw injury, though he could possibly play, and Daniel Agger, still sidelined with a back injury.

While the transfer has yet to become official, it is expected to be confirmed shortly.

Zack Wilson, talkaloadofbull.com

Im Greek hes the best Greek Cb ATM but at liverpool??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
      « Last Edit: Aug 18, 2009 08:20:49 pm by crouchinho, Reason: Title amended - include the club. »
      beardofzeus
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 47 posts |
      Re: Sotiris Kyrgiakos
      Reply #1: Aug 18, 2009 08:18:11 pm
      Just shows how much Rafa's hands are tied financially
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Sotiris Kyrgiakos
      Reply #2: Aug 18, 2009 08:19:41 pm
      Skysports.com understands Liverpool are closing in on a shock move for former Rangers defender Sotiris Kyrgiakos.

Liverpool are in the market for defensive reinforcements and it is believed they have lined up a move for AEK stopper Kyrgiakos.

The Reds have been linked with the likes of Stoke's Ryan Shawcross and Hull's Michael Turner, but Kyrgiakos appears to be a cheaper option for Rafa Benitez.

With reports of Benitez having his transfer budget restricted Liverpool have switched their attentions to Kyrgiakos and they are believed to have agreed a €3million (£2.5million) fee with AEK for the 30-year-old.

Kyrgiakos is understood to have said his goodbyes to his AEK team-mates and is now thought to be travelling to England to hold talks with Liverpool officials and undergo a medical

F'ck this is happening he hardly set the world alight at Rangers shows how low the Americans have taken us
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Re: Sotiris Kyrgiakos (AEK Athens)
      Reply #3: Aug 18, 2009 08:22:11 pm
      £2.5 million is still too much. ::)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #4: Aug 18, 2009 08:23:31 pm
      Wowzer's trousers.
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #5: Aug 18, 2009 08:45:32 pm
      Shows how much we have to play with
      StevieIsStillGod
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 288 posts | 10 
      Reply #6: Aug 18, 2009 08:50:19 pm
      Or we're getting someone on the cheap because he's going to be fourth choice once Dagger and Skrtel are healthy...

Seriously people, what big name will sign knowing in a months time they'll hardly get a look?
      LFC_Stuart_1988
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,089 posts | 45 
      Reply #7: Aug 18, 2009 08:51:35 pm
      Big lad at 6ft 5. Will do well from corners i think  ;D

Norway - Greece Euro 2008 0-1 Kyrgiakos

Sotiris Kyrgiakos moves to Liverpool
      N1ce
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 52 posts |
      Reply #8: Aug 18, 2009 08:53:58 pm
       I just wish he will "magically" become another Vidic  :-\
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #9: Aug 18, 2009 08:54:07 pm
      Or we're getting someone on the cheap because he's going to be fourth choice once Dagger and Skrtel are healthy...

Seriously people, what big name will sign knowing in a months time they'll hardly get a look?

Personally, i dont see the point in getting a top class CB but i think the swiftness of the move and the player himself, its a tad surprising.
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Reply #10: Aug 18, 2009 09:08:52 pm
      Don't know what to make of this. Guessing He'll be going straight in at Stoke though, having a giant at the back isn't a bad thing I suppose.
      adie
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      • Olde big ears home to stay.
      Reply #11: Aug 18, 2009 09:14:21 pm
      Sotiris Kyrgiakos.

Please tell me im not reading this, why let Sami go and then bring in unrated players who couldn’t make it for Rangers because he only costs 3million euro, to play for a club like we are?

This guy must think all his christmas’s have came at once, cant blame him, or Rafa if he’s not allowed to spend, YANKS MUST GO NOW NOT LATER. And before you both leave, shove your dollars where the sun dont shine and let Rafa and the fans look after the clubs assets properly.

YNWA LFC
      YANKS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE

Cheesed off and have done well not to use abusive lingo!
      « Last Edit: Aug 18, 2009 09:19:38 pm by crouchinho »
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,708 posts | 3716 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #12: Aug 18, 2009 09:16:42 pm
      If it is true, give him a chance. He must be the 4th choice. so if he is happy to stay on the bench while everyone is fit I don't give a sh*t.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #13: Aug 18, 2009 09:17:10 pm
      Sotiris Kyrgiakos.
      Please tell me im not reading this, why let Sami go and then bring in unrated players who couldn’t make it for Rangers because he only costs 3million euro, to play for a club like we are. This guy must think all his christmas’s have came at once, cant blame him, or Rafa if he’s not allowed to spend,,,, YANKS MUST GO NOW NOT LATER,, And before you both leave,,, Shove your dollars where the sun dont shine,,, and let Rafa and the fans look after the clubs assets properly…. YNWA LFC ,,,,,, YANKS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE.. Cheesed of and have done well not to use abusive lingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will fix the obvious grammar problems but he's 30, playing 4th choice and will provide experienced back up. I think thats what we need right now.

EDIT: Plus he's tall, which the others arent particularly. I think its a good move on paper.
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      Reply #14: Aug 18, 2009 09:21:44 pm
      Calm down Adie It's not that bad, we had to let Sami go he wouldn't be happy being fourth choice, atleast this guy is expierienced and cheap. Got my full support to do a job for us when he's needed.
      willkopite
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts |
      Reply #15: Aug 18, 2009 09:27:49 pm
      Is he a cheap version of Sami ? Lets give him a go.
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      Reply #16: Aug 18, 2009 09:40:42 pm
      Is he a cheap version of Sami ? Lets give him a go.

Well I doubt he possesses the same anticipation and positioning Sami did, but he is the same height :laugh: who know's maybe he'll be a massive threat from corners and get us 10 goals this season! Or atleast one.

Brooklyn Red

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #17: Aug 18, 2009 10:21:06 pm
      Reds in shock Greek link
      Kyrgiakos could be heading for Anfield

Skysports.com understands Liverpool are closing in on a shock move for former Rangers defender Sotiris Kyrgiakos.

Liverpool are in the market for defensive reinforcements and it is believed they have lined up a move for AEK stopper Kyrgiakos.

The Reds have been linked with the likes of Stoke's Ryan Shawcross and Hull's Michael Turner, but Kyrgiakos appears to be a cheaper option for Rafa Benitez.

With reports of Benitez having his transfer budget restricted Liverpool have switched their attentions to Kyrgiakos and they are believed to have agreed a €3million (£2.5million) fee with AEK for the 30-year-old.

Kyrgiakos is understood to have said his goodbyes to his AEK team-mates and is now thought to be travelling to England to hold talks with Liverpool officials and undergo a medical.
      http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5498803,00.html

Sounds like it may have happened then.
      muck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,168 posts |
      Reply #18: Aug 18, 2009 10:28:53 pm
      just saw this. not big money involved which I am glad of. sadly that may be all the money we have.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #19: Aug 18, 2009 11:06:09 pm
      Obviously people are missing the fact he was a flop at Rangers in a sh'te league, I hate the argument ah we are only paying three million and he is going to be fourth choice, come lads we need to vent our anger at the Americans.

I'd love to see where he is on Rafas wanted list. I'd be suprised if he is in his top thirty centre half. I feel sorry for Rafa and am frustrated we are such a poor club now. No new stadium, no transfer budget and no long term prospects with these clowns in charge.
      xen105
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 78 posts | -4 
      Reply #20: Aug 18, 2009 11:19:25 pm
      im greek, don't underestimate the sheer power and height this guy can bring. he will be good cover and great at set pieces. give him a go, he cant be worse then what i saw on sunday! trust me
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #21: Aug 18, 2009 11:25:07 pm
      I'm hearing he's announced that he's joined via his personal website.

Can't see anything on there though, just says "Coming soon".
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #22: Aug 18, 2009 11:26:17 pm
      Careful Rafa, you're breaking into next years budget.  These yanks must go they are turning this club into a laughing stock....
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #23: Aug 18, 2009 11:33:34 pm
      I'm joining Liverpool, claims defender Kyrgiakos
      Greece defender Sotiris Kyrgiakos has claimed he is set for a surprise move to Liverpool from AEK Athens - however his club said there was no agreement in place.

Sotiris Kyrgiakos

GettyImages

Sotiris Kyrgiakos: Greek heading to Anfield

The 30-year-old centre-back said farewell to his team-mates ahead of AEK's departure to Romania for the first leg of their Europa League play-off tie against SC Vaslui.

Kyrgiakos said on his personal website that he is on his way to Anfield.

"I would like to inform the fans of AEK that on Monday night I received an offer from Liverpool, an offer which I have accepted," he said.

"I understand this has come at the worst possible time ahead of the crucial games for qualification to the Europa League, but the fact that I will play for Liverpool is like a qualification in itself for me. I have taken my final decision which was accepted by the president and the coach."

However it appears the clubs have not agreed on a fee at this stage.

An AEK club statement announced: "At this moment there is no final agreement between AEK and Liverpool FC."

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has been keen to buy a centre-back to ease the club's injury problems before the transfer window shuts.

However Liverpool's American owners are believed to be refusing to release funds for such a deal.

Benitez was today asked several times at his media conference ahead of tomorrow's match against Stoke to explain his cash-flow problems, but on each occasion he said: "I do not want to discuss money."

Kyrgiakos, who has 49 caps for Greece, will be joining his sixth club if the transfer is completed.

The tough-tackling defender, admired for his combative style and aerial ability, has had successful spells at Rangers and Eintracht Frankfurt but has not played in England to date.
      ESPN Soccer
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #24: Aug 18, 2009 11:41:28 pm
      "Combative style and aerial ability"

I like it.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #25: Aug 18, 2009 11:58:50 pm
      It says the owners are refusing to release funds, what the F**k does that mean, do they want us to play without a centre back, he'll cost no more than 3mill. the time may come soon to hit these people in the place they won't like, their pockets, this cannot go on....
      panos
      • fan from GREECE
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 68 posts |
      • panos from Greece
      Reply #26: Aug 19, 2009 01:13:00 am
      hey,guys,stay cool!!! i know kyrgiakos very well. i am Greek. he has great aerial abillity,he can score with his head. he is very dynamic CB. he is very very strong and he can be the bad guy of the match. he is like a street fighter. he can drives you crazy with nerves and he can stay calm. although you believe that he will be the fourth choice of Rafa,i have different opinion. wait and you will see.he has played in Panathinaikos many years in CL and he is very experienced.
      i am sure that you will remember me very soon. just give him a chance and help him to feel like his home.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #27: Aug 19, 2009 01:44:57 am
      Holy crap. Not another pony tailed star :lmao:...I wish him the best!

How will we ever pronounce his name? :mad:
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #28: Aug 19, 2009 01:52:20 am
      I also remember him from his Rangers days but he was really unimpressive at the time so it doesn't really fill me with much confidence about this potential signing even though the reality is he will play around 15 games unless major injury crisis. I thought the same about Riera though who did prove me wrong and turn out to be a decent player so lets see I guess.
      berrypool
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 328 posts |
      • L.A. for LFC
      Reply #29: Aug 19, 2009 02:48:56 am
      He may not be a dream signing but if we have to bring someone in (which we do) better to get a giant with experience than anything else.  We''ll turn and sell him for profit guaranteed.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #30: Aug 19, 2009 02:51:52 am
      He would be a good buy a lad with some experience is what our squad is in need off at the moment.
      JoeyLFC
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 520 posts |
      Sotirios Kyrgiakos
      Reply #31: Aug 19, 2009 03:49:47 am
      I'm joining Liverpool, claims defender Kyrgiakos
      Greece defender Sotiris Kyrgiakos has claimed he is set for a surprise move to Liverpool from AEK Athens - however his club said there was no agreement in place.

The 30-year-old centre-back said farewell to his team-mates ahead of AEK's departure to Romania for the first leg of their Europa League play-off tie against SC Vaslui.

Kyrgiakos said on his personal website that he is on his way to Anfield.

"I would like to inform the fans of AEK that on Monday night I received an offer from Liverpool, an offer which I have accepted," he said.

"I understand this has come at the worst possible time ahead of the crucial games for qualification to the Europa League, but the fact that I will play for Liverpool is like a qualification in itself for me. I have taken my final decision which was accepted by the president and the coach."

However it appears the clubs have not agreed on a fee at this stage.

An AEK club statement announced: "At this moment there is no final agreement between AEK and Liverpool FC."

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has been keen to buy a centre-back to ease the club's injury problems before the transfer window shuts.

However Liverpool's American owners are believed to be refusing to release funds for such a deal.

Benitez was today asked several times at his media conference ahead of tomorrow's match against Stoke to explain his cash-flow problems, but on each occasion he said: "I do not want to discuss money."

Kyrgiakos, who has 49 caps for Greece, will be joining his sixth club if the transfer is completed.

The tough-tackling defender, admired for his combative style and aerial ability, has had successful spells at Rangers and Eintracht Frankfurt but has not played in England to date.

Source: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=668740&cc=3436
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: Sotirios Kyrgiakos
      Reply #32: Aug 19, 2009 04:56:45 am
      There allready is a thread about him.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,332 posts | 183 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #33: Aug 19, 2009 05:25:50 am
      Well I doubt he possesses the same anticipation and positioning Sami did, but he is the same height :laugh: who know's maybe he'll be a massive threat from corners and get us 10 goals this season! Or atleast one.

he wont get a single one if we keep going with stevie at corners ^^

and to every hater: give him a break, let him play at least one game, then talk. plus, as far as I remember, greece won an euro basing its game on a defense-relying system so why all the noise...
      ManCityOlympiakos
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Reply #34: Aug 19, 2009 05:41:37 am
      This is a joke, Benitez is NUTS. Don't listen to what other Greeks are saying, this guy is over the hill and NOT Liverpool material. For f*ck's sake, he wasn't Liverpool material even when he was at his best! These days he's just a hot-head who sells himself as the 'tough guy' on the pitch (gotta sell something, especially to the fans).

By the way, the 3 mil euro was his buy-out clause.

Since most Olympiakos fans also support Liverpool, you should see the anger this has caused in our forums (I'm enjoying it actually :P).

PS I am a bit biased obviously, but this transfer just doesn't make any sense...
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #35: Aug 19, 2009 08:21:59 am
      I just wish he will "magically" become another Vidic  :-\

Or, better still, another Sami, eh?  ::) F**k Vidic and the horse he rode in on. Sotiris, as a Red, will be given my full support.

Yankees go home!
      Hiberpool
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 143 posts | -2 
      Reply #36: Aug 19, 2009 09:18:29 am
      Having watched him whilst he played at the Huns against my team Hibs I can confirm that he is indeed a bombscare, :o but as stated before the yank clowns have Rafa's hands tied when it comes to transfer money, unless they are preparing one last big money move before the window shuts, David Villa anybody.   ;)
      Johncolf
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #37: Aug 19, 2009 09:22:52 am
      Looks like were shopping at netto like the blue sh*te ,YANKS OUT  !
      Fireman
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #38: Aug 19, 2009 09:33:31 am
      hello lads, this is dimitris from athens greece, a panathinaikos fan and of course a lfc fan
      kyrgiakos is a great player.tall, tough, aggressive, strong as a horse, a real tower!!!!!!it fits to english football, great choice!!!YNWA
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #39: Aug 19, 2009 09:34:20 am
      Dont know anything about him, cant remember him at Rangers either so have to hope he makes the grade as some other better informed posters on here have said he could do a job so most of us will have to take their word I suppose.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #40: Aug 19, 2009 09:35:31 am
      hello lads, this is dimitris from athens greece, a panathinaikos fan and of course a lfc fan
      kyrgiakos is a great player.tall, tough, aggressive, strong as a horse, a real tower!!!!!!it fits to english football, great choice!!!YNWA

Hello Fireman, welcome to the forum, Im also newish here, what about his pace and reading of the game - can you comment?
      Fireman
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #41: Aug 19, 2009 09:40:05 am
      he used to play for my team, panathinaikos from 1998 to 2004. he is the best greek stopper, he is 1.95m or so, he is a very passionate and hot tempered player.sometimes that created problems in the past, if he controls his temper he will be a super hero of defence.i dunno what rafa wants from him, is he going to be a bencher?
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #42: Aug 19, 2009 09:42:49 am
      Well looking at that source I guess it's a done deal?
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #43: Aug 19, 2009 09:44:14 am
      Yes he will be brought in as cover but we have so many games he may well start the Carling Cup matches and maybe some of the early FA Cup games depending on the draw of course.

Is he a quick defender...???
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #44: Aug 19, 2009 09:45:58 am
      Would anyone like to clear up the pronunciation of his name please? :D
      Fireman
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #45: Aug 19, 2009 09:46:48 am
      well,you cant call him really quick, he is very physical in his game though.he is a very passionate player.i think he will win the Kop
      Fireman
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #46: Aug 19, 2009 09:49:07 am
      you have to pronounce it as kyrwhiakos   (as the word "why")   
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #47: Aug 19, 2009 09:51:46 am
      you have to pronounce it as kyrwhiakos   (as the word "why")   

Huh?
      Fireman
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #48: Aug 19, 2009 09:53:04 am
      kirgiakos...... the g letter is pronounced as wh
      SaintLiverpudlian
      • Forum John Toshack

• 278 posts |
      • Liverpool is my religion Anfield is my church
      Reply #49: Aug 19, 2009 09:53:41 am
      he isn't jaap stam for sure ;D . but i don't think rafa is dumb, I'm sure he needs him for something, maybe for corners in late games or so. Wishing him all the best.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #50: Aug 19, 2009 09:56:09 am
      kirgiakos...... the g letter is pronounced as wh

Oh right. I've looked around on the internet and most people seem to be saying:

Kir-ee-akos?
      DouPantou
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #51: Aug 19, 2009 09:56:56 am
      Good Morning from Greece lads.

I'm an AEK and Lpool fan. I woke up this morning furstrated for losing "Sotis" (you could call him like that - I'm sure he'll confirm it), but also glad for the guy since he got a transfer to the best team in the world...

I'm pretty positive he will make a good carrier at LFC and he will be one of your favorites. He has a great passion when he plays and he can read the game well. He is not the fastest defender on the field, but he uses his mind and positions himself very well in order to be the first reaching the ball. He is very strong on the air and can help in the offensive too by scoring some goals...  ;)

Summing things up, I think Rafa made an excellent choice with Sotis. He won't be a 4th choice - mark my words!

PS1. The 3m euro is an excellent deal for this player and I'm sad AEK lost him for such a small fee!
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #52: Aug 19, 2009 09:59:20 am

I'm an AEK and Lpool fan. I woke up this morning furstrated for losing "Sotis" (you could call him like that - I'm sure he'll confirm it), but also glad for the guy since he got a transfer to the best team in the world...

I'm pretty positive he will make a good carrier at LFC and he will be one of your favorites. He has a great passion when he plays and he can read the game well. He is not the fastest defender on the field, but he uses his mind and positions himself very well in order to be the first reaching the ball. He is very strong on the air and can help in the offensive too by scoring some goals...  ;)

Summing things up, I think Rafa made an excellent choice with Sotis. He won't be a 4th choice - mark my words!

PS1. The 3m euro is an excellent deal for this player and I'm sad AEK lost him for such a small fee!

Cheers DouPantou!

Well that's very encouraging. Great to hear that from an AEK fan.

New Hyypia then?
      Liverpool_babe
      • Forum John Toshack

• 275 posts |
      • So maybe not our year... I still love LFC!
      Reply #53: Aug 19, 2009 10:00:20 am

Liverpool snap up Sotiris Kyrgiakos from AEK Athens
      Greek defender Sotiris Kyrgiakos has reportedly joined Liverpool as Rafael Benitez attempts to patch up his back four.

The 30 year-old centre-back said farewell to his team-mates ahead of AEK's departure to Romania for the first leg of their Europa League play-off tie against SC Vaslui.

Liverpool have yet to formally agree a fee but it is understood that a figure of 3 million euros has been mooted.

Kyrgiakos's career has seen him play Eintracht Frankfurt and Glasgow Rangers.

"Never in my life have I hidden from the consequences of my choices," a statement from the 30-year-old said.

"I said last week that I would be an AEK Athens player for the next four years and I meant what I said at the time.

"Today, however, I had to make the most important decision in my career. Going back on my word was difficult, but this is life, and life can bring about strange things."

The deal would plug a hole in Benitez's injury-ridden defence. Stoke City's Ryan Shawcross had previously been a target for Benitez.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/liverpool/6053394/Liverpool-snap-up-Sotiris-Kyrgiakos-from-AEK-Athens.html
      Fireman
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #54: Aug 19, 2009 10:00:48 am
      kalimera (goodmorning) doupantou, from a panathinaikos and lfc fan :)
      Liverpool_babe
      • Forum John Toshack

• 275 posts |
      • So maybe not our year... I still love LFC!
      Reply #55: Aug 19, 2009 10:01:03 am
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #56: Aug 19, 2009 10:01:21 am

I'm pretty positive he will make a good carrier at LFC and he will be one of your favorites. He has a great passion when he plays and he can read the game well. He is not the fastest defender on the field, but he uses his mind and positions himself very well in order to be the first reaching the ball. He is very strong on the air and can help in the offensive too by scoring some goals...  ;)

Thanks for the info.
      DouPantou
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #57: Aug 19, 2009 10:08:08 am
      Cheers DouPantou!

Well that's very encouraging. Great to hear that from an AEK fan.

New Hyypia then?

Very similar, but faster ;)

He playes with his heart. He gets excited and connects with the team immediately.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #58: Aug 19, 2009 10:09:57 am
      Are you that sure about him then?

Sounds brilliant!
      DouPantou
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #59: Aug 19, 2009 10:15:51 am
      Well, I've watched him play...
      Plus, he is Rafa's choice. He should know better.

Give him the chance to show what he is all about. His character will fit in the team nicely!

EDIT: Goodmorning to you too Fireman. Best of luck in todays game for PAO <-- off topic but I'm a polite guy ;)
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #60: Aug 19, 2009 10:33:18 am
      Little bit nervous about this signing (if it comes off), as he does seem to be Rafa's 7th or 8th choice CB that we've gone after. ::)

Anyway, don't know much about the lad, but hope he settles in quickly if a fee is agreed.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6726 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #61: Aug 19, 2009 11:02:20 am
      Yasu Sotiris, welcome to the Greatest Football Club on the planet.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #62: Aug 19, 2009 12:49:16 pm
      Welcome lad!

I dont know what to make of it never heard of him before seems to have a lot of experience under his belt.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #63: Aug 19, 2009 12:52:20 pm
      Still yet to be confirmed on LFC.TV!
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #64: Aug 19, 2009 01:42:14 pm
      Little bit nervous about this signing (if it comes off), as he does seem to be Rafa's 7th or 8th choice CB that we've gone after. ::)

Anyway, don't know much about the lad, but hope he settles in quickly if a fee is agreed.

I am sure Aquilani wasn't Rafa's first choice but a great lad he is though!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #65: Aug 19, 2009 01:48:10 pm
      I am sure Aquilani wasn't Rafa's first choice but a great lad he is though!

Might be a great lad, but I want to see what he is like playing first.
      ManCityOlympiakos
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Reply #66: Aug 19, 2009 03:33:26 pm
      Oh, my god, these guys are filling your heads with false hope (wanted to say 'crap' initially). THIS IS ANFIELD, it's not one of his loser teams! Anyway, enough from me, I'll let you guys be the judges when he pulls on a red shirt. Hope it works out, in any case.

His name is pronounced (you're gonna need it when you're swearing at him): Keer-yA-kos (intonation on the A).
      Red Barrovian
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,356 posts | 77 
      Reply #67: Aug 19, 2009 03:37:34 pm
      He's always been a legend in my eyes. LMA Manager 2005, Champions League final 2010, Rangers (me) vs Juventus, 120th minute and this man pops up to bring Big Ears home!
      ManCityOlympiakos
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Reply #68: Aug 19, 2009 03:40:31 pm
      He's always been a legend in my eyes. LMA Manager 2005, Champions League final 2010, Rangers (me) vs Juventus, 120th minute and this man pops up to bring Big Ears home!

;D.

By the way, he was NOT part of the Euro 2004 Greece squad that won it. He was injured and missed the tournament (just correcting something said earlier).
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #69: Aug 19, 2009 04:00:00 pm
      Haven't got a clue who he is and I doubt we'll see much of him anyway once our three first choice centre halves are fit.

At 30 he brings experience if nothing else, hopefully he can pass that down to the younger lads. He's cheap, which will already have some people pushing the panic button but a lot of our defenders have been cheap an proven to be great buys. I don't think this lad will fall into that category as I don't see him playing often enough. Just hoping if, and when, he plays he's a good enough stop gap.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #70: Aug 19, 2009 04:25:34 pm
      I'll believe this when the official site confirms it, there's a french site saying that we're close to signing that guy from Kiev so this could all be media crap.
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #71: Aug 19, 2009 04:38:20 pm
      What options do Rafa has? He doesn't have much to spend as the clowns took it for their own sake. If Kyrgiakos was Rafa's only choice given with the amount of money he has, then I think we have to support Rafa. Remember lads, we signed Hyypia when he was a nobody and he turned out to be a legend for us.

I feel sorry for Rafa as he has high ambitions for Liverpool. He went from Valencia to Liverpool believing that he can turn Liverpool from a sleeping giant to a force to reckon with. But since H&G took over, he always has to settle for 2nd or 3rd best options. They were not willing to give Rafa more money so Kyrgiakos was the only player buyable.

Maybe he sees him similar to Hyypia in presence or in ability to read games well. He may not be top class but if he can do the work, so why not give him some space to breathe and let him do the job.
      cezar_sl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 612 posts |
      Reply #72: Aug 19, 2009 08:52:56 pm
      AEK agree to Kyrgiakos exit
      Defender poised to make Anfield switch
      AEK Athens have revealed they have agreed to let Sotiris Kyrgiakos join Liverpool.

As exclusively revealed by skysports.comon Tuesday, Liverpool have lined up a move for the former Rangers man to bolster their defensive options.

Kyrgiakos later claimed on his own personal website that he was set to join Liverpool after receiving an offer from the Merseyside outfit.

AEK have now announced that they will not stand in the way of the Greek international to make the switch to Anfield after he informed them of his desire to join the Reds.

A club statement read: "It was not in our intentions to sell any player at this moment, but the desire of Kyrgiakos to accept the offer of Liverpool was really great.

"Kyrgiakos accepted Liverpool's offer and although we did everything to keep him in the team we respect his choice.

"We fully understand that it is a great challenge and honour for any Greek player to play for a historical club as Liverpool and AEK could never be an obstacle in the evolution of a player such as Sotiris Kyrgiakos."
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #73: Aug 19, 2009 10:03:46 pm
      We need cover and he hasent cost the earth - if he is decent for the games that he playes then thats super. I cant see him playing a lot, but a giant at the back against some of the less creative teams can always be handy. Good luck to the lad.! Could be a great role model for some of the youngsters coming through, good backup and another option in defence.

However could Sami not have done this? With regards to the cost, I dont think this is a true reflection on Rafa's spending power - or lack there of...
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #74: Aug 19, 2009 10:04:23 pm
      No thanks.

I have confidence in Ayala.
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      Reply #75: Aug 19, 2009 10:08:11 pm
      I'm thinking that too, maybe we don't need him, surely Ayala deserves a pop at fourth choice? Maybe keep the money for a striker.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #76: Aug 19, 2009 10:09:00 pm
      Why pay 5mil + for a 4th choice defender?

Good move by Benitez
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #77: Aug 19, 2009 11:08:08 pm
      REDS AGREE DEAL FOR KYRGIAKOS
      The 30-year-old Greek international will arrive at Melwood for a medical examination before the weekend.

Rafa Benitez told Liverpoolfc.tv: "We have nearly done the deal subject to a medical. He is a player with experience who can hopefully help us in defence.

"He has experience in British football and Rangers. After that with Frankfurt and the national team. He's a good player in the air, strong and aggressive. We were looking for a player with experience.

"He will have the medical this week, it has to be before the weekend."

On how the signing would impact on young centre-backs such as Martin Kelly and Daniel Ayala, Benitez added: "The young players know they need experience and so to learn alongside people with this experience is better."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N165487090819-2245.htm
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #78: Aug 19, 2009 11:20:59 pm
      Thanks Diego.

Pending a medical, he's all but a Liverpool player.

There's now a topic in the Kop board. http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php?topic=21726.0

Quick Reply