Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Sotiris Kyrgiakos (AEK Athens)

Read 10953 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Re: Sotiris Kyrgiakos (AEK Athens)
      Reply #69: Aug 19, 2009 04:00:00 pm
      Haven't got a clue who he is and I doubt we'll see much of him anyway once our three first choice centre halves are fit.

At 30 he brings experience if nothing else, hopefully he can pass that down to the younger lads. He's cheap, which will already have some people pushing the panic button but a lot of our defenders have been cheap an proven to be great buys. I don't think this lad will fall into that category as I don't see him playing often enough. Just hoping if, and when, he plays he's a good enough stop gap.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #70: Aug 19, 2009 04:25:34 pm
      I'll believe this when the official site confirms it, there's a french site saying that we're close to signing that guy from Kiev so this could all be media crap.
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #71: Aug 19, 2009 04:38:20 pm
      What options do Rafa has? He doesn't have much to spend as the clowns took it for their own sake. If Kyrgiakos was Rafa's only choice given with the amount of money he has, then I think we have to support Rafa. Remember lads, we signed Hyypia when he was a nobody and he turned out to be a legend for us.

I feel sorry for Rafa as he has high ambitions for Liverpool. He went from Valencia to Liverpool believing that he can turn Liverpool from a sleeping giant to a force to reckon with. But since H&G took over, he always has to settle for 2nd or 3rd best options. They were not willing to give Rafa more money so Kyrgiakos was the only player buyable.

Maybe he sees him similar to Hyypia in presence or in ability to read games well. He may not be top class but if he can do the work, so why not give him some space to breathe and let him do the job.
      cezar_sl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 612 posts |
      Reply #72: Aug 19, 2009 08:52:56 pm
      AEK agree to Kyrgiakos exit
      Defender poised to make Anfield switch
      AEK Athens have revealed they have agreed to let Sotiris Kyrgiakos join Liverpool.

As exclusively revealed by skysports.comon Tuesday, Liverpool have lined up a move for the former Rangers man to bolster their defensive options.

Kyrgiakos later claimed on his own personal website that he was set to join Liverpool after receiving an offer from the Merseyside outfit.

AEK have now announced that they will not stand in the way of the Greek international to make the switch to Anfield after he informed them of his desire to join the Reds.

A club statement read: "It was not in our intentions to sell any player at this moment, but the desire of Kyrgiakos to accept the offer of Liverpool was really great.

"Kyrgiakos accepted Liverpool's offer and although we did everything to keep him in the team we respect his choice.

"We fully understand that it is a great challenge and honour for any Greek player to play for a historical club as Liverpool and AEK could never be an obstacle in the evolution of a player such as Sotiris Kyrgiakos."
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #73: Aug 19, 2009 10:03:46 pm
      We need cover and he hasent cost the earth - if he is decent for the games that he playes then thats super. I cant see him playing a lot, but a giant at the back against some of the less creative teams can always be handy. Good luck to the lad.! Could be a great role model for some of the youngsters coming through, good backup and another option in defence.

However could Sami not have done this? With regards to the cost, I dont think this is a true reflection on Rafa's spending power - or lack there of...
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #74: Aug 19, 2009 10:04:23 pm
      No thanks.

I have confidence in Ayala.
      StevieG-force
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,526 posts | 12 
      • Name:Richard-Age:21-Nationality:Welsh
      Reply #75: Aug 19, 2009 10:08:11 pm
      I'm thinking that too, maybe we don't need him, surely Ayala deserves a pop at fourth choice? Maybe keep the money for a striker.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #76: Aug 19, 2009 10:09:00 pm
      Why pay 5mil + for a 4th choice defender?

Good move by Benitez
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #77: Aug 19, 2009 11:08:08 pm
      REDS AGREE DEAL FOR KYRGIAKOS
      The 30-year-old Greek international will arrive at Melwood for a medical examination before the weekend.

Rafa Benitez told Liverpoolfc.tv: "We have nearly done the deal subject to a medical. He is a player with experience who can hopefully help us in defence.

"He has experience in British football and Rangers. After that with Frankfurt and the national team. He's a good player in the air, strong and aggressive. We were looking for a player with experience.

"He will have the medical this week, it has to be before the weekend."

On how the signing would impact on young centre-backs such as Martin Kelly and Daniel Ayala, Benitez added: "The young players know they need experience and so to learn alongside people with this experience is better."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N165487090819-2245.htm
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #78: Aug 19, 2009 11:20:59 pm
      Thanks Diego.

Pending a medical, he's all but a Liverpool player.

There's now a topic in the Kop board. http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php?topic=21726.0

Quick Reply