Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Sports Direct apologise for selling scum shirt with a Hillsborough slur

Read 21885 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Sports Direct apologise for selling scum shirt with a Hillsborough slur
      Aug 19, 2009 02:58:54 pm
      Sports Direct apologise for selling Manchester United shirt with a Hillsborough slur

The Echo
      RETAIL giant Sports Direct today apologised after selling a Manchester United shirt containing a vile Hillsborough slur.
      The chain, which has five shops on Merseyside, also immediately changed its shirt policy following outrage from Reds fans.
      The move came after Manchester United supporter Colm Jackson bragged on social networking site Facebook about buying the shirt at Sports Direct’s Arndale Centre store in Manchester.
      Sports Direct today said the "spiteful and abusive" wording, which referred to the 96 Liverpool fans who died at the disaster, was "unknowingly" applied by an assistant who did not appreciate its significance.
      The company added only footballer’s names and numbers would be applied to shirts at their 470 stores in future.
      Furious Reds fans inundated the ECHO with calls about the top.
      Stephen Lea, 30, from Litherland, said: "Different clubs have different ways of getting at people, but what he’s done is going much too far. To get Sports Direct to print this is disgusting."
      Dennis Adams added: "It’s absolutely outrageous. I’m a passionate fan but I would never sink to their level.
      "He’s probably going round with a smug grin on his face, but Sports Direct should never allow them to put that on their shirts."
      Many fans said they would boycott the company’s Liverpool One store.
      A spokesman for Sports Direct, which is owned by Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley, said: "Sports Direct has been notified that an extremely offensive and wholly inappropriate football shirt was printed at one of its stores. The store assistant printed this unknowingly and has been deeply shocked upon being notified of the significance of this and the upset caused.
      "As a result, Sports Direct has taken immediate action and changed the administration policy for printing football shirts across its store network. With immediate effect, it will only allow printing of current football players names and numbers on football shirts.
      "Sports Direct has contacted Facebook to request the urgent withdrawal of this deeply offensive image from the individual's Facebook page, and is very apologetic for this spiteful and abusive shirt."
      Facebook has now removed the offensive page which included a picture of the shirt.
      When approached by the ECHO, Jackson apologised and said he would burn the shirt.

Absolulty disgusting, I have heard on the Manchester based radio station, REAL Radio that the message was in fact, Not Enough with the number 96. :mad:

Jackson you are a calus evil crass excuss for a human being, and as for the idiot who printed the shirt, you too need to look at your self and decide who much of an arse you are. Fair play to Sports Direct for their acions, but this should never of happened, NEVER!
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Re: Sports Direct apologise for selling scum shirt with a Hillsborough slur
      Reply #1: Aug 19, 2009 03:10:05 pm
      That is just revolting. How anyone can think about printing sh*t like this is just beyond me, and how this idiot Colm Jackson can brag about it as well!

Just pathetic.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #2: Aug 19, 2009 04:19:38 pm
      What a pathetic excuse for a human being.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #3: Aug 19, 2009 04:25:19 pm
      Its the assistant that printed the shirt that angers me most! We know what to expect from alot of Mancs but who is the tw*t that took down on paper what the manc wanted printed and did nothing.

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,008 posts | 3352 
      Reply #4: Aug 19, 2009 04:35:03 pm
      If he's bragging about it on facebook, I'm sure one or two Liverpool fans will have seen his face and no doubt he'll get a good hiding in the future. That's the way those pathetic F***ing United fans are though.

I don't know what was printed but it being a United fan I'd assume it was something along the line of "murderers" and anybody with a brain cell would not print that, so Sports Direct are as much to blame as anybody.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #5: Aug 19, 2009 04:39:39 pm
      If he's bragging about it on facebook, I'm sure one or two Liverpool fans will have seen his face and no doubt he'll get a good hiding in the future. That's the way those pathetic f**king United fans are though.

I don't know what was printed but it being a United fan I'd assume it was something along the line of "murderers" and anybody with a brain cell would not print that, so Sports Direct are as much to blame as anybody.

The first post says what was printed DLS,

Its the assistant that printed the shirt that angers me most! We know what to expect from alot of Mancs but who is the tw*t that took down on paper what the manc wanted printed and did nothing.
      It was in the Arndale shop, so it's a good bet it was a manc too, thus illiterate.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #6: Aug 19, 2009 04:49:29 pm
      Fair play to Sports Direct for being so quick to act.

All I can say about the two Mancs involved in the incident is that they are a pair of cu*ts.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #7: Aug 19, 2009 04:57:44 pm
      Put him in a room with me for 5 minutes right now and you wouldn't recognise him as a human being.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #8: Aug 19, 2009 06:14:16 pm
      What gets me about this is the hurt it must cause for the families of the victims.

Whether Sports Direct have reacted quickly or not wont matter to them losing some business permanently in Liverpool now, thanks to some manc printing that shirt off.

As a business, they have a duty to ensure their staff know what should be getting printed on shirts they sell.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8542 
      Reply #9: Aug 19, 2009 06:46:49 pm
      Read about this before in the Echo.

At the end of the piece the little w**ker is claiming he will burn the shirt, I'd preferably like to see HIM burn in the shirt.

Not that I've actually ever bought anything from Sports Direct, but I won't be going into the store in Liverpool One.

I Personally think Sports Direct is for scruffs and owned by a scruff.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,721 posts | 6707 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #10: Aug 20, 2009 06:37:11 am
      F***ing disgraceful that....Shame on you Sports Direct and more shame on the assistant for not knowing about this tragic event that has caused so much pain and effected so many lives.  :f_steam:
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #11: Aug 20, 2009 07:55:10 am
      Stupid, thickheaded c**t.
      Liverpool_babe
      • Forum John Toshack

• 275 posts |
      • So maybe not our year... I still love LFC!
      Reply #12: Aug 20, 2009 11:02:09 am
      WOW. there's really some vile people out there.
      lfc_gerrard
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 175 posts | 21 
      Reply #13: Aug 20, 2009 05:51:06 pm
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,904 posts | 818 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #14: Aug 20, 2009 06:00:15 pm
      That is the most fu**ed up thing someone could do ! It is disgusting well if there is any injuries to united fans when they come to anfield i think we will know why !
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #15: Aug 20, 2009 06:01:16 pm
      I bet there'd be a good few man united fans that would have him off if they saw him wearing that shirt. That's how much of a clueless c**t he is.
      lfc_gerrard
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 175 posts | 21 
      Reply #16: Aug 20, 2009 06:08:09 pm
      I bet there'd be a good few man united fans that would have him off if they saw him wearing that shirt. That's how much of a clueless c**t he is.

http://www.redcafe.net/f7/sports-direct-apologise-selling-manchester-united-shirt-hillsborough-slur-264047/
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,904 posts | 818 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #17: Aug 20, 2009 06:11:41 pm
      Good to see they do not agree with that pr**k, but some of the dirty scum are saying we are over reacting !
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #18: Aug 20, 2009 07:28:02 pm
      Ok, when I read this in The Mirror today I was so f**king enervated that I just wanted to unload on the nearest person but being somewhat of a polite lad I regained control of myself and had a think about it and to tell the truth it's all I've been thinking about all day at work and it's all I'm thinking about now as I pace about my flat trying to think of a more eloquent way to get my feelings across about this other than screaming at the top of my lungs WHAT A F***ing c**t!!!!!!!

It's absolutely disgusting to think that in this day and age people, or in this case person, can somehow arrive at the conclusion that it's more than ok to go into your nearest sports store, buy a shirt of your favourite team and get the slogan YSB(You Scouse Bas**rds) the number 96 and the words 'Not Enough' printed in huge letters and numbers on the back and then parade it around in a series of photographs on the worlds largest social networking site mocking the fact that 96 people died. And these weren't just football fans they were people, they were human beings, fathers, mothers, sons, daughters etc etc and to have some ignorant little degenerate defile the memory of these innocent victims makes me feel revulsion and sickness on an un-precedented level.

Now as a Liverpool fan the Hillsborough disaster affected me as much as it's possible to affect an 11 year old which is what I was at the time of the disaster and I grew up to appreciate the human tragedy and the grave injustice that was committed that day as I got older but it wasn't until I started posting on here and surrounded myself with true supporters, albeit virtual but still, that I've been able to truly see how this tragedy affected people and just what it means to people. So to have this article in front of me in today's paper just made it hit home even more the level of sheer crassness on display by todays youth and by a certain number of football 'fans'.

Now I'm not going to paint followers of Liverpool F.C as the whitest of the white and pure as the driven snow, we have f**king idiots that follow our great club who very probably mock the Munich disaster which is just as out of order as what this idiot did, and it's heartening to go on their forum and see so many Manchester United fans tearing this guy a new arsehole and to me they're true fans who believe in a fierce rivalry for sure but will never stoop to this guys level because they fully appreciate how badly it affects a football club when a disaster happens just like when it wiped out over half of a truly great footballing team back in 1958. I would suggest to this guy that he reads up and does a little research on his clubs history and then he might have an idea about just how it feels to experience loss and grief, if he's capable of feeling anything at all.

As far as over-reacting goes, yes I would say a boycott of this store is an over-reaction as the girl who printed this sh*t to me just sounds like a very knaive and ignorant young girl who very probably had no idea what the abbreviated letters meant and in my eyes she's probably guilty of nothing more than ignorance. Again I would say to her to just get on the internet and type 'Hillsborough' into any search engine and educate herself. The chain released a statement apologising and given the fact that's all they can do I think it's case closed.

It's just another glaring example of the ignorance and ill educated nature of today's youth and in this case it's an example of just how far and how low a human being will go to incite a reaction from a certain group of people and to me that's the saddest thing of all.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #19: Aug 20, 2009 07:31:49 pm
      Well said Wise Beard. And remember, nothing anyone can do can tarnish the memory of those we lost. Don't let the c**t grind you down.
      PJMAN
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 852 posts |
      • we ride
      Reply #20: Aug 20, 2009 07:37:39 pm
      The kid on the minimun wage would not have had a clue. I would not be boycotting the shop because they employ scousers in our city. They have apologised and the retard will get what he is owed. Not really surprising if you go to Old Scumfarm regularly there are many waiting for us and many waiting to give it back. It will go on for a long time. One dickhead is not important.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #21: Aug 21, 2009 01:16:22 am
      I was in the HJC shop before the game with Stoke and they were up in arms about this, and quite rightly so as well.

There are some very sick minded people out there.

Appalled  :(
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #22: Aug 21, 2009 01:28:35 am
      I got my 07/08 Liverpool shirt with Torres on the back from the Arndale shop. I won't be shopping with Sports Direct again but let me tell you that although I'm not a Mancunian myself, not all of them think like this. Every single mate of mine that is a Manure fan (most of them are) are disgusted by this and know all about Hillsborough. A few of them are coming to the memorial with me next year. Some of wanted to go this year but I couldn't because I was working and couldn't swap my shift.
      redman147
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 156 posts | -1 
      Reply #23: Aug 21, 2009 10:06:58 am
      The f*****g loser thought he was clever telling everyone who he was and what he's done via facebook. I expect (and hope) to hear of him taking a well deserved beating in the near future
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,844 posts | 67 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #24: Aug 21, 2009 10:39:03 pm
      I cannot imagine someone being so callous and stupid ! i rewally am surprised that this action hasn't resulted in some criminal charges of some sort! christ 's sake i know people who have been pulled over for flying the st george england flag for possible offence to some religions ! this i feel is much much worse and is a vile act of inhumanity , i cannot imagine the hurt this has caused the people who were /are affected by the hillsboro tragedy .
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #25: Aug 21, 2009 10:43:43 pm
      What an idiot...sure you can have the odd banter

But when it involveds deaths it's just not on

RIP 96 You'll never be forgotton
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #26: Sep 05, 2009 01:44:44 am
      What an asshole. You need to draw the line somewhere and not pass it.  I hate Man. U. Always have, always will. But I would never make light of the deaths of Innocent people, just because its related to Man. U in some way. 

The people who died are not LFC. The people died in a horrible way and they were sons, daughters, mothers,fathers who were crushed to death at a f***in' football match. A football match!!!!!

I dont know whats going to happen to this kid. If It was up to me I would make him go and personally visit every single grave of those 96 and go to the families of every single victim, wearing his shirt and explain why he thought they deserved to die. Explain to the family why he thought the shirt was so funny and why he wants more to die. I would publically embarass,shame and humiliate him in the public eye. Make it so this f***in cock cant get a coffee without someone calling him a dickhead.

I think boycotting Sports Direct is wrong. I wouldn't fault the store or the poor girl who made the shirt. The store did the right thing. They admitted their mistake,realized the problem, changed their guidelines and corrected the situation and they did it before being boycotted or threatened. I wouldn't boycott the store. I almost feel sorry for the girl who made the shirt.  The girl really just did her job, she did what she probably does 30 times a day. Unless I was specifically told about the shirt being used as a slur against the victims. I might not of noticed it, straight up either.  Dont fault the store or the employee. She makes sh*t wages, printing shirts in some factory. Dont hurt some poor girl out of spite or anger at that Asshole Man. U fan.
      PJMAN
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 852 posts |
      • we ride
      Reply #27: Sep 05, 2009 06:35:05 pm
      What an asshole. You need to draw the line somewhere and not pass it.  I hate Man. U. Always have, always will. But I would never make light of the deaths of Innocent people, just because its related to Man. U in some way. 

The people who died are not LFC. The people died in a horrible way and they were sons, daughters, mothers,fathers who were crushed to death at a f***in' football match. A football match!!!!!

I dont know whats going to happen to this kid. If It was up to me I would make him go and personally visit every single grave of those 96 and go to the families of every single victim, wearing his shirt and explain why he thought they deserved to die. Explain to the family why he thought the shirt was so funny and why he wants more to die. I would publically embarass,shame and humiliate him in the public eye. Make it so this f***in cock cant get a coffee without someone calling him a dickhead.

I think boycotting Sports Direct is wrong. I wouldn't fault the store or the poor girl who made the shirt. The store did the right thing. They admitted their mistake,realized the problem, changed their guidelines and corrected the situation and they did it before being boycotted or threatened. I wouldn't boycott the store. I almost feel sorry for the girl who made the shirt.  The girl really just did her job, she did what she probably does 30 times a day. Unless I was specifically told about the shirt being used as a slur against the victims. I might not of noticed it, straight up either.  Dont fault the store or the employee. She makes sh*t wages, printing shirts in some factory. Dont hurt some poor girl out of spite or anger at that Asshole Man. U fan.

Correct Yank. Good shout..
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #28: Sep 06, 2009 01:53:22 am
      Makes me sick!

Abysmal stuff like this, how would they feel if it was done to them about Munich!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #29: Sep 07, 2009 11:30:56 am
      Makes me sick!

Abysmal stuff like this, how would they feel if it was done to them about Munich!
      The truth is that the brain dead fuckwit who got the shirt printed has probably got as much knowledge of the Munich disaster as the Hillsborough tragedy -  there are a tiny minority of similar mentally challenged individuals at most clubs. The obvious solution is root the dickheads out while they chant or display their vile slurs and brand the fuckers so they never polute a football stadium again.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #30: Sep 07, 2009 03:16:32 pm
      I'm actually disgusted
      Teenage Mutant Ninja SKRTEL
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 47 posts |
      Reply #31: Sep 10, 2009 09:55:50 pm
      is the apology enough? surely the guy who printed the shirt knew exactly what he was doing-he's as bad as this jackson tw*t
      injuredturtle
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts |
      Reply #32: Sep 20, 2009 05:42:04 pm
      W**ker!  :f_steam:
      Coutinho_10
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 461 posts |
      • Don't take yourself too seriously...
      Reply #33: Sep 25, 2009 12:40:19 pm
      F***ing pr**k.
      I'd love to see him in the street with it on.
      Brooklyn Red

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #34: Oct 02, 2009 01:18:07 am
      Disgusting. Truly disgusting. The idea of making light of the loss of life for attending a football match...a F***ing football match!! ...words escape me. Doesn't matter who it was...it would never occur to me to act like this in any capacity. Out of order. Low class. These are some of the nicer words that come to mind.

I'd be a shambles if my son/wife/father/best friend didn't come home from what was supposed to be a day out. And, what's more, I'd have some serious sympathy for anyone who went through an ordeal like that. ANYONE. Useless animals.

Good Eric shakes his head in dismay.
      Bad Eric says send them my way.
      Scott Barton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,552 posts |
      Reply #35: Oct 02, 2009 01:31:22 pm
      mate scum like that id love to see him walk down anfield road and see how far he gets
      Brooklyn Red

• 6,539 posts | 223 
      Reply #36: Oct 02, 2009 01:40:57 pm
      mate scum like that id love to see him walk down anfield road and see how far he gets

Not far I imagine.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #37: Oct 02, 2009 04:26:44 pm
      What a jerk. So is the person who printed the words.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,157 posts | 8542 
      Reply #38: Oct 02, 2009 06:45:16 pm
      What a jerk. So is the person who printed the words.

It was done in the city that is totally obsessed with Liverpool!
      PJMAN
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 852 posts |
      • we ride
      Reply #39: Oct 02, 2009 07:38:09 pm
      It is not important. It was one knob head and he may pay the price. You should not blame the shop as the young girl would not know wht the shirt was about. It goes on. Football is a tribal thing and in the tribe you have the odd dickhead. We are all different. Not even the scum would want someone to die at a match. Things are said on the day of the game. Tomorrow it is back to work and get on with your life. The Huyton Bads will sort the mancs out. No problem.
      Kop-Cnut
      • Forum David Johnson

• 228 posts |
      Reply #40: Oct 04, 2009 01:11:26 am
      Just saw this thread disgusting
      LazyFingers
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 892 posts | 22 
      Reply #41: Apr 18, 2011 09:58:54 am
      I don't know how people can be raised to be this idiotic. Where in someones life do they decide something like this is funny?

Absolute thick, mentality of a caveman.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #42: Apr 18, 2011 10:46:08 am
      It is old news but the fact that it has been resurrected indicates the mental issues this individual has, to put an horrific tragedy that ended men, women and childrens lives in the context of a sporting wind up is good reason for psychiatric help if not sectioning under the mental health act.
      Or the easier option is kick the F***ing life out of him.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #43: Apr 18, 2011 12:59:51 pm
      Sickening.

Rivalry is one thing but to mock loss of human lives is not on.
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #44: Apr 19, 2011 05:14:30 pm
      i fukking hate sports direct, makes me feel ill! crappy brand
      Neston_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 900 posts |
      Reply #45: Oct 12, 2011 09:20:46 pm
      Bet he couldnt wait to get a laugh from all his manc mates. SCUMBAG

Quick Reply