Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who was your Man of the Match today?

Pepe Reina
      (2.1%)
      Steven Gerrard
      (7%)
      Glen Johnson
      (79.6%)
      Dirk Kuyt
      (1.4%)
      Fernando Torres
      (0%)
      Lucas Leiva
      (9.9%)

Liverpool 4 - 0 Stoke: Post Match Hurrah!

Read 26247 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Liverpool 4 - 0 Stoke: Post Match Hurrah!
      Reply #115: Aug 20, 2009 04:04:43 am
      Reading over, no one has highlighted Pepe's save at 2-0 from Rory Delap. That was a world class save that possibly shut Stoke down for the rest of the match. If that went in, 2-1 up is a very different feeling especially after the Spurs game.

Besides that, its been covered pretty much.

Johnson, perfection.

Kuyt was back to his absolute best, working hard, taking on players when need be to give his team some time, holding it up and got a goal to boot.

I wont single out anyone in midfield because the trio of Lucas, Gerrard and Mascherano were superb. They worked so hard for each other and together they grabbed the game by the crotch and gave it an almighty pull.

Defence was top notch, was so happy to see Ayala do so well. Every single one of the lads helped him out and as MsG said, Carra took him under his wing. It was brilliant to see.

Magnificent rebound from the Spurs game and with probably 3 or 4 players playing at 80%, i think we can really shake the league up again this season.

An immensely proud Red as well always but especially tonight.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #116: Aug 20, 2009 04:06:48 am
      Just saw Match of the Day and it was awesome. Only one Stoke chance was shown.

Pepe made a fantastic save to deny Rory Delap. Steven Gerrard(yes, that wonderful backheel) and Glen Johnson were on fire. Even Fernando Torres was hungry and looked back to his best with that run. Even Lucas and Mascherano played pretty well.

Only can get better for the 'Pool. Bring on Villa!
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #117: Aug 20, 2009 06:59:23 am
      A job well done by the redmen ! A fabulous win and it's good revenge on stoke who cost us 4 points last season ! I couldn't watch the game because it was very late where and they didn't show it live and there are not showing any replay . IS there any place where I can watch the full match online ? YNWA ! Bring on Aston Villa !
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #118: Aug 20, 2009 07:40:15 am
      Very pleased with all that, four good goals and a clean sheet will do everyone a world of good.

I think Rafa said is his interview that we weren't firing on all cylinders yet, and I think he's right, but we're getting there. A solid team display and some outstanding individual performances were easily enough to finish off a one-dimensional Stoke.

Certainly no one had a bad game, and all of our boys had a decent one, with Lucas and Johnson obviously standing out. I gave Lucas my MOTM, I thought he was equally good pushing forward and tracking back, doing a good destructive job on their midfield and helping out the attack when he could. A couple of good shots on goal, as well as neatly slotting passes through a busy midfield. A very en couraging display.

Johnson showed exactly why Rafa invested all that money in him. What a difference he made with his charging runs down the wing, and his ability to beathis man, something Arbeloa didn't have. Frequently with the Arbeloa-Kuyt partnership we were predictable and easy to break down on the right, hopefully Johnson and Kuyt can form a good understanding, they're moving in the right direction. And what a goal! :D

Other stand out players were Gerrard, who looked full of ideas and well up for it, Insua who had another solid afternoon on the left, and Benayoun who was as tricky as ever and helped unsettle the Stoke defence.

Defensively, we did what we had to, holding out against the monotonous onslaught of throw in after throw in into the box. They did what was asked of them without too much fuss.
      dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #119: Aug 20, 2009 07:51:44 am
      What a way to come back after the season opener, now that was the Liverpool football we all love, I thought the young lads really stood up and were counted, they played with heart and determination. Johnson I thought made a huge difference good in defense and attack tracking back quickly when he needed to and offering a good option going forward. Torres and Gerrard as always world class, Lucas I'm still undecided he had a much better game still bullied a little but much better if he continues like that we cant have too many complaints. I'm over the moon that we bounced back the way we did. To top it off the manc in the office is tripping over his lip
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #120: Aug 20, 2009 07:53:35 am
      What a game last night was. Stoke are one of the hardest teams in the league to break down yet we managed to do it over and over again Yossi Stevie and Dirks movement was amazing last night but still Motm had to be Johnson he was everywhere

BTW did anyone else spill beer with stevies bit of skill or was that just me ;D
      dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #121: Aug 20, 2009 07:58:52 am
      Well said Ayrton77 I agree with the Johnson-Kuyt combo looks to have clicked straight away, the defense had no idea how to stop them they were not sure if they should stick two on Johnson or mark Kuyt then Johnson passes a neat pass to Kuyt then they mark Kuyt and Johnson beats his man they struggled to deal with that combo. Loved it
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #122: Aug 20, 2009 08:22:22 am
      It took a loss to Boro last season, and then we absolutely destroyed (almost) everyone in our path. Now we lose to spurs, maybe we'll have anotger fantastic run of form?

Bring on Villa.
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #123: Aug 20, 2009 08:32:18 am
      Fantastic game.

After the disappointment at Spurs could this game come any sooner? Always the opening day is tough and it was made harder by that 2-1 loss to Spurs. Although I only catched MotD, I thought that we were far superior as compared to Stoke, took our chances well and it was glad to bounce off that disappointment with a fantastic showing for the fans.

The early goal more or less settled the game and undid Stoke's game plan, I'm pretty certain they were there to park the bus but once the first one went in, there was only going to be one outcome! :D

Johnson was fantastic down that flank, well at least it showed the good plays he had in MotD, I'll have to watch the full game in order to get a clearer picture. But if he continues this vein of form then obviously this is an astute signing, its going cut down that load of draws when the importance of roaming fullbacks come into place due to Lucas and Masch sitting in DM.

Gerrard was fantastic, his turn for the 3rd was superb, it was incisive passing which just showed why is he one of the best players in the world (or rather the best! :D)

Didn't see much of the defence so cannot pass any comments on Carra and Ayala. Yossi was all over them today was well, the ball sticked like glue to his feet, if he continues this vein of form then I fear for the future of Riera.

All in all a fantastic response from the team, it was certainly a great night out with your bird!

king-nando
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 148 posts |
      Reply #124: Aug 20, 2009 08:38:47 am
      top performance and result, think benayoun needs a mention on the poll as behind johnson he was my star man. after all the speculation over what will be our best formation i think the 2-1-5-1-1 was excellent.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #125: Aug 20, 2009 08:45:36 am
       That was more like it,a REDS team that wanted to win and showed commitment from the start.I was impressed with young Ayala who dare I suggest reminded me of Alan Hansen,he played the ball rather than boot it out of defence.I hope he does not get thrown back into the reserves and be forgotten.Insua  played and he could make it difficult for Aurelio to get back in the team when he is fit.I was a happy man today well done the REDS.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #126: Aug 20, 2009 08:45:56 am
      I wish I hadnt fallen asleep half an hour before kick off. :'(

Apart from that excellent news that we got a good result and that Lucas had a great game and to top it all off the mancs got beaten by Burnley. ;D
      Coutinho_10
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 461 posts |
      • Don't take yourself too seriously...
      Reply #127: Aug 20, 2009 08:48:07 am
      Great performance from the boys last night, so much better than last year. The whole team played well and the passing and movement was good too. For me, Glen Johnson obviously stuck out, he really did put a fantastic performance in.
      niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #128: Aug 20, 2009 08:50:20 am
      I wish I hadn't fallen asleep half an hour before kick off. :'(

Apart from that excellent news that we got a good result and that Lucas had a great game and to top it all off the mancs got beaten by Burnley. ;D

I know .....I didn't get to watch the game either but I woke up with the good news that we won 4-0 , the mancs got beaten and there were good displays by our youngsters ( Lucas and Ayala) ! This is a real confidence booster and the players are more mentally prepared for the Aston Villa game .  
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #129: Aug 20, 2009 08:55:14 am
      All in all, a good performance from the lads. I feel Johnson could well be the difference this season for us, a solid performance and an excellent goal. Nice to banish the abysmal performance against Spurs and get out of the blocks. Benayoun was awesome again, suddenly, missing out on Silva doesn't hurt so much. Think he's going to be a massive player for us this season, especially with Babel's lack of effort and commitment. Give me Yossi everytime.

The midfield are starting to click too, and Lucas is growing in stature, game by game. I'm not going to get carried away, we're a long way off League winning form yet, but the signs are looking good. Reina is just Reina, as reliable as ever and a colossus in between the sticks. Carragher marshalled the defence as only he knows how, and it was a big step forward in the learning curve for Ayala. The more good games he has, the more his confidence will grow.

It's a long season ahead of us, and Rafa has his hands tied again by the Yank wankers, but if anyone can pull it off, then it's Rafael Benitez. I honestly thought that the only hinderance to our assault for the title this season would be from other teams in the league. Not once did I envisage that Rafa's greatest battle could be with the scum that own our beloved club.

IRWT. YNWA.
      « Last Edit: Aug 20, 2009 10:03:33 am by hardcoresoldier »
      redprint
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 636 posts | 23 
      Reply #130: Aug 20, 2009 09:33:34 am
      Isn't football great.

Slit your wrists on Sunday.  Knock one out on Wednesday.
      only slit the one you don't need!!
      Liverpool_babe
      • Forum John Toshack

• 275 posts |
      • So maybe not our year... I still love LFC!
      Reply #131: Aug 20, 2009 09:36:53 am
      only slit the one you don't need!!

;D ;D ;D
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #132: Aug 20, 2009 09:43:00 am
      Very pleased just to be talking about football and a good performance rather than a great one. Nobody had a stinker Johnson was outstanding and Lucas seemed far more assertive. Fernando scored,  clean sheet it used to be a standard home performance against lowly opposition so lets hope normal service has resumed. Also given Tottenham's performance tonight maybe a 2-1 defeat wasnt that bad with hindsight. Looking forward now to Monday and another good performance by the lads.
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #133: Aug 20, 2009 10:27:49 am
      Gary Lineker to Alan Hansen on MOTD:

Are you sticking with Liverpool to win the title?

Alan Hansen: Through thick and thin, son.

And LAWRO ? Yep sticking with the SCUM Grrrrr

Phew just read all the postings (took an hour). Cos after a performance like last nights its such a pleasure.Liverpool fans in their element.Anyway a few observations.Agree with most re Lucas, growing in strength and stature.Shorecross or Ayala? I know who'd get my vote.Stevie read all the descriptions of THAT turn!! Exquisite was my favourite.Nando (obviously took notice of the Boss's advice)don't think he complained once.Benny just reiterated his intentions of being one of the first names on the team sheet imo.Could go on HOWEVER have to give Glen Johnson before I go.Great signing and for me even after a couple of games money well spent.Well done RAFFA your THE man.                                                                         

:kop5cf8koxp6: :gt-happyup:
      « Last Edit: Aug 20, 2009 10:30:17 am by Reslivo »
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #134: Aug 20, 2009 10:44:46 am
      Great result - and about time we started putting several goals past teams at Anfield.

Now to keep that momentum going.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #135: Aug 20, 2009 10:51:20 am
      Johnson was a breath of fresh air his input was nothing short of dynamic and teaming with Kuyt they tore through Stoke's back four sometimes with embarrassing ease.
      Has anyone heard anything about Nando's injury? that looked like a nasty rip to his eyebrow, was amazed he came back on it looked like a casualty job at first.
      100%lfc4ever
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 89 posts |
      Reply #136: Aug 20, 2009 11:08:33 am
      Saw the game and Lucas played really well(continued from his pre-season)his tackling back suprised me and he is now looking for his next pass before he see's the ball at his feet and his movement off the ball has improved whereas last season he did neither(maybe wasn't 100% sure of his role but now Alonso has gone has given him more belief and freedom)just needs to improve his corner kicks which nearly all didn't beat the first stoke player and sometimes his choice of passes(needs to mix up more rather than going for the short  pass)but hopefully he can continue this form against the bigger teams.I like the look of insua(should be first choice) and as everyone has said Johnson was outstanding and was my man of the match and just goes to show that chelski are clueless to sell him for 4m to pompey because he was young and they don't give young players a chance.
      Scott Barton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,552 posts |
      Reply #137: Aug 20, 2009 11:24:38 am
      Was at last nights game and didn’t really feel we needed to step out of 3rd gear but my god Glen Johnson was fantastic, he did what Arbeloa always looked hesitant to do and rip defenders, hoping he can continue his past couple of games form to the season. Im not sure im really that happy with midfield, Lucas wasn’t horrible but I don’t really think he is a player we need, I just thought we dicked around too much in midfield at times and took too long to do anything creative. We didn’t need to be that hot but I worry a little against a better opponent but all in all quite easy really, excellent goal by Johnson and a nice goal by Torres

Have to credit the stoke fans though, fantastic support and made our home crowd look like librarians, was so quiet last night was very suprised

Quick Reply