Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who was your Man of the Match today?

Pepe Reina
      (2.1%)
      Steven Gerrard
      (7%)
      Glen Johnson
      (79.6%)
      Dirk Kuyt
      (1.4%)
      Fernando Torres
      (0%)
      Lucas Leiva
      (9.9%)

Liverpool 4 - 0 Stoke: Post Match Hurrah!

Read 26245 times
      Kieran578
      • Banned

• 229 posts | -16 
      Re: Liverpool 4 - 0 Stoke: Post Match Hurrah!
      Reply #138: Aug 20, 2009 11:30:49 am
      echo what a lot of folks are saying - Lucas was brilliant - good on him; lets hope he proves afew people wrong (including me!)
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #139: Aug 20, 2009 11:58:49 am
      Watched the match and must say all 4 goals were quality goals.

Felt though that after we scored the first we went back in our shell a bit, was frustrating seeing so many passes go astray but I know it's only the 2nd match and can't wait to see the finished product. Geez we scored 4 and didn't play that well, imagine the scoreline when it all clicks into gear for us.

Wrapped when the 2nd went in just before half time thanks to a wonderful scissor from my MOTM Glen Johnson.

We came out in the 2nd half and thanks to a world class save from Pepe, kept the score at 2-0. Started to play much better and was jumping up and down when Stevie did THAT turn for Dirk to score.

Thought N'Gog missed the 4th for a second then realized it went in to finish off a pretty good performance form the lads.

Apart from Johnson, special mentions for me, go to Insua, thought he had a fantastic game getting up and down that left wing and to Danny Ayala  as well. The camera really pulled in tight on his face when the game was just about to kick off. He looked as nervous as all F**k. He didn't let us down though and hopefully get's more chances in the future to build on his Liverpool 1st team experiences.

Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #140: Aug 20, 2009 12:00:24 pm
      Stevie did THAT turn for Dirk to score.

Didn't quite realise what he'd done whilst at the ground but I literally shouted 'F**k me' when seeing it on MOTD!
      redman147
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 156 posts | -1 
      Reply #141: Aug 20, 2009 12:05:57 pm
      what a win for the redmen! absolutely brilliant. i think we could even have played better so imagine the score then.

great response following sunday, and i for one enjoyed coming to work in Manchester today :-)
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #142: Aug 20, 2009 12:25:01 pm
      Have to credit the stoke fans though, fantastic support and made our home crowd look like librarians, was so quiet last night was very suprised

We were signing for 90 mins at the back of the Kop. MOTD never does justice when it comes to LFC fans making noise.
      Sweeney The Red
      • Forum Phil Babb
      • Started Topic

• 170 posts |
      Reply #143: Aug 20, 2009 12:34:03 pm
      We were signing for 90 mins at the back of the Kop. MOTD never does justice when it comes to LFC fans making noise.

yeh my dad was in 306, said it was buzzing up there, still gutterd i let him go, my ancle should be okay by next monday though!! ;)
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #144: Aug 20, 2009 12:43:11 pm
      Watched the match and must say all 4 goals were quality goals.

Good point, Aussie.

Despite the heavy numbers they had in defence, all four goals came from within the 18 yard box, and three of them were from open play. A huge credit to our movement and passing.

Good to see we didn't need to resort to long range pot-shots to make a break through.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,158 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #145: Aug 20, 2009 12:58:12 pm
      Saw the game and Lucas played really well(continued from his pre-season)his tackling back suprised me and he is now looking for his next pass before he see's the ball at his feet and his movement off the ball has improved whereas last season he did neither(maybe wasn't 100% sure of his role but now Alonso has gone has given him more belief and freedom)just needs to improve his corner kicks which nearly all didn't beat the first stoke player and sometimes his choice of passes(needs to mix up more rather than going for the short  pass)but hopefully he can continue this form against the bigger teams.I like the look of insua(should be first choice) and as everyone has said Johnson was outstanding and was my man of the match and just goes to show that chelski are clueless to sell him for 4m to pompey because he was young and they don't give young players a chance.

Welcome to the forum mate, and an excellent post to start. Think your comments about Lucas are spot on. When Alonso was here, Lucas was in his shadow and in awe of him ( and quite rightly so). I think Alonso's departure will be the making of Lucas IMO. It's as if a huge weight has been lifted off his shoulders and he is no longer the spare midfielder, he now feels an important part of the team. Also his pre-season weight training has paid dividends and he no longer gets barged off the ball, he can now hold his own and barge the cu*ts back!

All of these actions have improved his self confidence no end, and i think he is now starting to revel in the fruits of his labour. I also feel that with the addition of Johnson, we are using the right flank to great effect, so there is not so much need to play everything down the middle, therefore taking some of the burden of the central midfield. If we can get the left flank sorted, it'll be interesting to see who gets the nod, Riera or Benayoun, both great players in their own right, and with Aurelio and Insua fighting for the left back berth, then we are finally getting what we've been lacking for years................... .

And that is BALANCE  ;)
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,848 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #146: Aug 20, 2009 01:32:02 pm
      Glen Johnson has added another dimension to our team and gives Rafa more attacking opportunities,Lucas stepped up last night and i though had good vision and commitment ,good all round team performance well done reds !!
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #147: Aug 20, 2009 01:34:24 pm
      Enjoyed the first game of the new season at Anfield.

Thought everyone did well and I agree with the special mention given to Glen and Lucas.

But lets not get too carried away.  Stoke were a one trick pony trying to get something from Delap's missiles and free kicks.  I think a much sterner test will come when we meet Villa next Monday and this will give a better indication how the squad will measure up for the rest of the season.

Will Ayala and Lucas be able to cut the mustard when the going gets really tough?  We shall see.  One thing for sure Glen is world class and will perform against anyone.

I'm a lot more optimistic than I was after the Spurs game but isn't that the way of all LFC fans.  We suffer when we don't win.  We only want the best and it's hard to live with when we fall short.

How did the Mancs get on? :f_tongueincheek: ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #148: Aug 20, 2009 01:39:44 pm
      Thought we played very well last night and once we got the first we didn't take a step back we kept on attacking which was good to see.

Glen Johnson was superb last night, just have to judge what he's like when he has to defend! Gerrard, Torres, Mascherano, Carragher and Pepe all spot-on as usual. Benny had a good run-out, although sometimes he comes inside a bit too much for my liking, but I'm not complaining.

Ayala's performance for a young lad was spot-on as well, you could see he was nervous in the first five minutes, yet the more and more he won headers from Delap's throw-ins, the more he grew in confidence. Also grew in confidence when bringing the ball out of defence and the biggest compliment I give him is what my dad said to me in the second-half: "Looks like Gary Gillespie, that lad."

Did anyone get onto that bastardised version of YNWA by Chris De Burgh being played at half-time, when the back of the Kop kicked off their anti-yank song?
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #149: Aug 20, 2009 01:43:39 pm
      That's more like the Liverpool I know and love, although that 4th goal cost me £20! ah well
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #150: Aug 20, 2009 01:55:01 pm
      I hate it when my dad has a bet on liverpool ! He is like oh 1-0 today i am like ha were gonna win 3-0 and then it happens its 1-0 he all happy last 10 minutes we get a penalty Gerrard scores it and then in last minute or so the 3rd goal goes in. My dad was not too pleased.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #151: Aug 20, 2009 02:11:07 pm
      Waited until today to post in here because my stream was garbage so watched it on LFC TV last night till 2 am ;D, the team as a whole performed a whole lot better than they did against Tottenham, some of the passing and movement off the ball was excellent, I don't want to pick faults with any one to be honest my only concern in the match was Lucas needs to move the ball forwards quicker, I'm not getting on at the lad as his tracking back and tackling was great last night, I just think in some situations he should have played the ball forward not sidewards or backwards, other than that i'm a happy bunny.... Just hope Lucas grows in confidence over the next few games and makes me think Xabi Who ?
      Sweeney The Red
      • Forum Phil Babb
      • Started Topic

• 170 posts |
      Reply #152: Aug 20, 2009 03:09:40 pm
      Here are the goals in case any of you guys missed them.

Metacafe - Top Videos & Best Movies
      skinupred
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #153: Aug 20, 2009 03:24:57 pm
      well done red men, glen johnson's transfer fee is starting to look like a bargain, in Rafa we trust
      StevieGfan
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #154: Aug 20, 2009 03:50:54 pm
      Seen the match on match of the day last night and was really impressed, was good to see some goals and 3 points after a bad start (also good to see man u lose :D)! Thought johnson's goal was absolutely superb and he is really making an impact in the squad!
      willkopite
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts |
      Reply #155: Aug 20, 2009 04:12:21 pm
      Did anyone spot the excellent work Mascherano did last night ? outstanding.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #156: Aug 20, 2009 04:23:38 pm
      The whole team played well especially Stevie and Glen. Lucas and Masch were sound too. Glad to see Nando and Dirk on the scoresheet again. Let's hope we start banging the goals in ;)

Don't think the defence had much to do.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #157: Aug 20, 2009 04:29:27 pm
      Something I found quite interesting yesterday was Carra shouting 'Watch the spin!' as Delap was about to take his throw ins. I didn't even realise he put spin on the ball!
      bri1970
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      Reply #158: Aug 20, 2009 05:44:49 pm
      Very good professional performance and the best way to respond after a poor display against Spurs.

Played at a lot better pace and good width provided mostly by the 2 fullbacks.

Deserved the 3 points and hopefully we can now carry on and beat Villa Monday.

Well done Reds
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #159: Aug 20, 2009 06:01:11 pm
      Great win...well done the mighty reds  ;D

I think Johnson and Leiva deserve a special mention, both had excellent games. Glad Ngog got a goal at the end, hopefully boost to his confidence and well done Ayala...did all the simple things well, hopefully I will mature into a great player for us.

Great to hear the Utd score as we walked out the stadium too   :lmao:

Bring on the Villa !!!!!!!!!
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #160: Aug 20, 2009 08:53:05 pm
      Who ever put the names up for man of match missed one in Javiar Mascherano, he was my M.O.T.M.

Quick Reply