Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who was your Man of the Match today?

Pepe Reina
      (2.1%)
      Steven Gerrard
      (7%)
      Glen Johnson
      (79.6%)
      Dirk Kuyt
      (1.4%)
      Fernando Torres
      (0%)
      Lucas Leiva
      (9.9%)

Liverpool 4 - 0 Stoke: Post Match Hurrah!

Read 26442 times
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Re: Liverpool 4 - 0 Stoke: Post Match Hurrah!
      Reply #92: Aug 20, 2009 12:05:10 am
      That goal by Johnson! WOW
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,929 posts | 824 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #93: Aug 20, 2009 12:10:24 am
      That turn by Gerrard wow, finally we have started to play free flowing football passing and movement, although Gerrard and Torres still could increase their sharpness both don't look a 100% fit to me.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,480 posts | 2863 
      Reply #94: Aug 20, 2009 12:10:37 am
      Wasn't the greatest performance, but it was still good and it was nice to get off the mark in style with four goals. If we continue to play like that against the lesser teams we'll win a lot more of them than we did last season.

Johnson was the star of the show tonight. Some brilliant attacking play tonight. He'll be tested more in defence and he needs to prove himself there but going forward he's one of the best around and he showed that with some brilliant play and also a lovely goal.

Gerrard and Torres really improved from Sunday, which is what we expected. That goal will do the world of good to Torres and hopefully he'll recover from that nasty head injury quickly. Gerrard was magical tonight, back to his old self. Good cross for the first goal and that piece of skill to turn the defender for the third, was truly outstanding. Only special players can do that.

Lucas. I said he was disappointing on Sunday but today he upped it. Made some good tackles and played with a much higher tempo and made some good passes. Deserved a goal. Hopefully he will build on this performance. Well played Lucas, you deserve credit for your display tonight.

Ayala was impressive after a shaky start, Masch had a solid second half after a mixed first half, Yossi showed why he's streets clear of Babel and Kuyt showed why he's rated so highly with a goal and an all round good display.

All in all, huge improvements from Sunday and eleven good performances. Bring on Villa!
      red_micheal
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 126 posts |
      Reply #95: Aug 20, 2009 12:16:02 am
      well said chats!
      red_micheal
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 126 posts |
      Reply #96: Aug 20, 2009 12:23:44 am
      ps a fantastic finish by johnson tonight!!!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #97: Aug 20, 2009 12:24:12 am
      Wasn't the greatest performance, but it was still good and it was nice to get off the mark in style with four goals. If we continue to play like that against the lesser teams we'll win a lot more of them than we did last season.

We certainly hope so.  Certainly a huge difference from watching us struggle against them last year.

Website match report
      http://www.anfield-online.co.uk/match-reports/premiership/2009/liverpool-4-0-stoke-city/
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #98: Aug 20, 2009 12:27:31 am
      I woke up twice this morning and couldn't go back to bed at 6. Great to see a 4-0 win when I checked, haha. Now, I want to watch the replay.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #99: Aug 20, 2009 12:30:34 am
      Just watching the game now. I noticed Lucas is playing quite a bit further up than Xabi. I think we're going to see our second centre midfielder (Lucas/Aquilani) score around 7+ goals this season.
      Beansie
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 370 posts |
      Reply #100: Aug 20, 2009 12:31:40 am
      Thought Masch played aswell as anyone. Played some decent passes.

Good all round team peformance.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #101: Aug 20, 2009 12:52:18 am
      Little did I know tonight either that I would be sat in Row 4 of the Centenary stand. Bloody awesome it was, never been that close before.
      Babel-Torres-Gerrard
      • Forum David Johnson

• 230 posts |
      Reply #102: Aug 20, 2009 12:56:02 am
      For me, Lucas and Johnson were outstanding.  Pepe also proved his class and Stevie and Nando were both sharp along with Benny. 
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #103: Aug 20, 2009 12:57:51 am
      Am I the only one really looking forward to the Villa Match?  I think Villa can really get themselves into a CL spot this season. I think this is going to be a great, early season match. LFC come out with 3 points and a good showing that can set the tempo for the season.  I cant wait!!!!!!!!
      Sweeney The Red
      • Forum Phil Babb
      • Started Topic

• 170 posts |
      Reply #104: Aug 20, 2009 01:05:56 am
      Am I the only one really looking forward to the Villa Match?  I think Villa can really get themselves into a CL spot this season. I think this is going to be a great, early season match. LFC come out with 3 points and a good showing that can set the tempo for the season.  I cant wait!!!!!!!!

Yeh can't wait, never went the match today aswell gutterd, looking forward to going next monday. :D
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #105: Aug 20, 2009 01:10:27 am
      Little did I know tonight either that I would be sat in Row 4 of the Centenary stand. Bloody awesome it was, never been that close before.

I was sat at the very back row of the kop and MY GOD how f**king hot it was up there! Everyone was stood up there for the 90mins so that made up for it :D

Dont know how loud we were today cos it only seemed to be the very back of the kop which was making any noise...

Great win though. Really wasnt expecting that. I was preparing myself for a game of a few "ooo"s and mainly "arrrgh!"s but was pretty good. But F**k me it was hot.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #106: Aug 20, 2009 01:38:02 am
      Just arrived back from Anfield.....the journey is always good when we've won, and it never seems as long.  :laugh:

I have to say that it was a privilege to be at Anfield tonight, the atmosphere was extremely good on a very warm and humid night, everyone obviously looking forward to a new season and when Torres thundered in his shot after only four minutes, we kinda knew we were in for a special night.

Liverpool could easily have been two or three up but after a lull in proceedings midway through the first half, they picked their game up and got a second just before the interval......and what a goal it was as well, superbly taken volley by Johnson, right in the Anny Road End that silenced the Stoke fans somewhat.

I was very worried to see Torres go off and straight down the tunnel for treatment, what a relief to see him back on the pitch though, like Rafa said we are top of the 'stitches' list  :lmao:

The second half saw Liverpool start where they'd finished off the first half, you could see how much the lads were enjoying playing, they all wanted the ball tonight, there truly were some outstanding performances particularly from Lucas, Johnson, Mascherano, Gerrard, Benayoun, Insua and Ayala,  I gave Lucas my man of the match because he made a real nuisance of himself tonight, getting stuck in where it was needed, to be honest, Alonso leaving is the best thing to happen to Lucas.....it's there for the taking Lucas and you carry on playing the way you did tonight and it's all yours.

Ayala was nurtured by Carragher all night, the lad never put a foot wrong, and you could see Carra encouraging him and talking to him all the time...well done Jamie, you played your part tonight.

And I also have to sing the praises of Glen Johnson, this lad is going to make such a difference down that right wing, he was awesome tonight and I honestly think he can get even better......a star in the making, well in Glen, I'm sure you went off that pitch tonight feeling 10 feet tall.

It was only a matter of time before Liverpool would score again, it was on the cards and it was only a case of how many? So we got another two in the second half and the third goal was a sublime move by Gerrard to set up Kuyt, the Kop was on it's feet as Dirk stuck the ball over the line.

Stoke had a couple of chances in the second half, but never really threatened Pepe's goal, and it was left to N'Gog to finish off proceedings.

A truly wonderful night's entertainment came to an end and you should have heard the roar from the crowd when it was announced that Burnley had beaten the scummy mancs, why, it was almost as loud as when Torres got that first goal.

The RED machine in full effect.........you bet it is.

Bring on the Villa.....another 5-0? well why not?  ;)  :kop5cf8koxp6:
      « Last Edit: Aug 20, 2009 10:55:50 am by MsGerrard »
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #107: Aug 20, 2009 01:53:49 am

I was sat at the very back row of the kop and MY GOD how f**king hot it was up there! Everyone was stood up there for the 90mins so that made up for it :D

Dont know how loud we were today cos it only seemed to be the very back of the kop which was making any noise...

Great win though. Really wasnt expecting that. I was preparing myself for a game of a few "ooo"s and mainly "arrrgh!"s but was pretty good. But F**k me it was hot.

Sat at the back of the Kop for the manc game last year now my dad normally come with me but he was on ols so i took a mate dont think my dad would have survived that heat fcking unbeleievable,went down 3 rows and the heat just dropprd. remember that if you have an elder with you
      « Last Edit: Aug 20, 2009 11:19:09 am by JD »
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #108: Aug 20, 2009 02:01:03 am
      Sat at the back of the Kop for the manc game last year now my dad normally come with me but he was on ols so I took a mate dont think my dad would have survived that heat fcking unbeleievable,went down 3 rows and the heat just dropprd remember that if you have an elder with you

Funnily enough I went to the game with me old man whos 69 years old and he didnt seem to enjoy being back there as much as I did :D Luckily hes a fit lad for his age so he was reet.
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #109: Aug 20, 2009 02:49:27 am
      wELL DONE TO THE REDMEN, lets be honest ,not a fantastic performance but a huge improvement on Sundays debacle, and we can still go up a few notches. We are up and running now and Spurs is a distant bad memory. This result will do wonders for the team as a whole, and the scum result tops the night off beautifully!! Lets get a run going now redmen
      I think a special note should be made for Glen Johnsons' performance tonight, looks very promising and seemsto be loving life at Anfield, nice finish too fo a RB!
      FabulousAurelio
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 537 posts | 11 
      Reply #110: Aug 20, 2009 02:58:27 am
      Thought Johnson and Lucas played very good tonight. The play in the lead up to Kuyts goal was Barcelona esque.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #111: Aug 20, 2009 03:13:20 am
      Johnson...Good Lord!!!! Total Baller. Great showing from that guy.

You guys really need to stop telling me you were in the KOP for the match. The amount of envy I have for anyone who gets to go sit there for a match is HUGE.  One day I'll get there. I dont care If I have to stowaway on a tramp steamer to Liverpool, I'll be there one day.

I was really shooting for this season but with the economy and my sh*t job, its not looking good :f_wah:

Anyone have a couch or floor to rent to a broke Yank looking to catch a match? ::) ::) ;D
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #112: Aug 20, 2009 03:20:46 am
      You guys really need to stop telling me you were in the KOP for the match. The amount of envy I have for anyone who gets to go sit there for a match is HUGE.

Would it make you feel any better if I said I didnt sit in Kop but rather stood? :)
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #113: Aug 20, 2009 03:33:00 am
      4 days in football is a long time. I agree with others, this wasnt a classic Liverpool performance, but nonetheless scoring 4 goals when you are not at your very best is an excellent outcome, and there were many positives from the game. Definately the right choice is for Benayoun to start, and I am tipping him for a great season this year. Johnson is known for the spectacular, and tonight he reminded everyone why. I was relieved to see Torres and Gerrard play without too much inconvenience and apart from the gash to Torres head they looked to be moving better than on Sunday, a great sign.

The Man Utd result is a real bonus, because although they did dominate the match, the lack of firepower now without Ronaldo and Tevez has been affirmed. People talk about Man U always starting slow, and they will come good, but those people are forgetting that when they started seasons slowly it was because Ronaldo was missing from the side thru injury, and this time they dont have him coming back. If they dont add to their strikers, they will struggle to score, simple as that. Chelsea, to my mind are the only side standing in our way of title 19.
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #114: Aug 20, 2009 03:36:07 am
      Thought Johnson and Lucas played very good tonight. The play in the lead up to Kuyts goal was Barcelona esque.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Correction.............. the play in the lead up to Kuyts goal was Liverpoolesque

Quick Reply