Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Sotirios Kyrgiakos - the Wolfsburg days

Read 80824 times
      petstran
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      Re: Sotirios Kyrgiakos Player Thread
      Reply #46: Aug 21, 2009 12:52:02 am
      Aye, never helps when it takes 10 minutes to pronounce his first name let alone his sodding last name!

aye...I reckon ian rush was hard enough ;)
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #47: Aug 21, 2009 12:53:52 am
      Well i think it would be unfair if he came in and took Ayala's starting position while Agger and Skrtel are out as yesterday Ayala had a faultless performance in my eyes well maybe not faultless but solid nevertheless.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #48: Aug 21, 2009 07:44:54 am
      Lads, we dont know how Rafa will use him. He may even start plenty of PL games because he has something our other options dont, that is height. We lost that when Sami left and we need to get some into the back 4.

Once he's settled, he may even be used just to stop Crouchy, Heskey, Santa Cruz and those lads who just thrive off the long ball. Even against the likes of Stoke and Bolton who are set piece experts.

I'm all for Daniel Ayala being in the side, i thought he was pretty darn good last time out but when it comes to it, we need to win games rather than just develop talent and he is 18, Sotirios is 30, he'll be around until Daniel is ready to really step up and maybe Carra will be gone by then too.

His height will be vital in some games.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #49: Aug 21, 2009 07:48:33 am
      ^^According to Wikipedia, he is shorter than Skrtel.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #50: Aug 21, 2009 07:54:41 am
      I saw 196cm?
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #51: Aug 21, 2009 08:13:50 am
      On Wikipedia it says 192cm. Who knows? We'll probably find out when he appears on the squad list on LFC.tv.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #52: Aug 21, 2009 08:16:10 am
      Hmm, no idea whats happening there. I guess we will have to wait and see.
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #53: Aug 21, 2009 08:27:45 am
      Good buy and a very suitable replacement for Sami from what I've read. I've never seen him play.
      skunkburner
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 138 posts |
      Reply #54: Aug 21, 2009 08:41:16 am
      Good buy and a very suitable replacement for Sami from what I've read.

I'm all for giving Kelly and Ayala "the youth" a chance to break through but if Carra gets injured in the coming weeks would you really want to rely on that partnership at the back.

Another shrewd move by Rafa IMO - We need a bit of controlled aggression at the back to ruffle some feathers. I wish him all the best! Come on the Reds.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #55: Aug 21, 2009 09:13:50 am
      Ayala had a faultless performance in my eyes well maybe not faultless

:lmao: Made my day that  ^^^
      DouPantou
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #56: Aug 21, 2009 09:25:33 am
      Can't really comment on him as a player haven't seen him but its encouraging to hear from someone like DouPantou who is an AEK Athens fan and has seen him play on a regular bases. Is he currently a regular with the national team DouPantou.

Yes, he's a regular.

To fill in some gaps and qs raised by some, I'll give you more info about the guy, but you will defenately make your own opinion when you watch him play.

You could call him "Sotis". It's short for Sotirios. His nick name in Greece was "alani" meaning "urchin" due to his style of playing in the game. He is hot tempered, but knows when to control himself. He'll get the oponent offensive player wind up, cause he always try to get to the ball first. He is also good with the ball on the air.

He has a similar game play as Carra - plays with his heart.

I hope these info help :)
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #57: Aug 21, 2009 11:25:50 am
      Like some have said in earlier posts , im all for giving the kids a go but Rafas just thinking ahead incase the likes of Carra gets crocked. Experience is the key word, coz in an emergency you could pair one of the kids with him. But its all coming clearer now with the news of Aggers op putting him out for 6 weeks, so thats why Rafas made the move for him.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #58: Aug 21, 2009 12:20:46 pm
      On Wikipedia it says 192cm. Who knows? We'll probably find out when he appears on the squad list on LFC.tv.

To be fair, they're both tall enough.

Besides which, equally as important as sheer height is timing and anticipation. Some players are just better headers of the ball than others.

I haven't sen him play, but if he knows how to attack a ball even close to how Sami used to, he could be a good asset for set pieces.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #59: Aug 21, 2009 12:24:41 pm
      Although i would like to see the younger lads gaining experience at times like these, Nothing can substitute established players who have played at the highest of levels,Rafa's decision to bring Sotirios in has to be commended,He has recognised we are a bit thin in that area and needs to plug the gaps left by injuries, Sotirios is hardly a spring chicken and will bring with him height and aggression and above all takes a bit of pressure from Carra, So lets welcome Zorba to the red machine.

Welcome Sotirios.
      markbfm
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 56 posts |
      Reply #60: Aug 21, 2009 12:51:11 pm
      I think that a few people will be eating their words once they see this guy in action. He is a no nonsense, passionate defender.

Prediction: he will become a cult hero at Anfield.

You read it here first ;)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #61: Aug 21, 2009 01:20:19 pm
      I think that a few people will be eating their words once they see this guy in action. He is a no nonsense, passionate defender.

Prediction: he will become a cult hero at Anfield.

You read it here first ;)

I dont think his ability is the problem, is whether some think we need him or not.

Still, there are some doubts amongst some people.
      LFC-Red
      • Banned

• 553 posts | 15 
      • Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
      Reply #62: Aug 21, 2009 01:46:37 pm
      for my money we needed another center-half, someone who can replace the aerial abilty that Hyypia provided. We have looked very poor defending from set pieces this season. We lack that aerial defending that Hyypia offered (the Stoke game alone proved this) even Agger, Skertel and Carra do not offer us adequate aerial and experienced defending. If we did not sign somebody, and carried on with Ayala (who looked very nervous IMO against Stoke) throughout the season, we would of or could of been punished severely from set-pieces.

However I don't know what the 'plate smasher' will be like, never heard of him or seen him play TBH. But from his physical build, I can only assume Rafa has the same reservations about our aerial defending as I do.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #63: Aug 21, 2009 02:09:42 pm

Well i couldn't be bothered to go back and say he had a solid performance so i just said maybe not faultless ;D
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #64: Aug 21, 2009 02:24:45 pm
      I'm actually pleased we signed this fella, I do not know much about him to really pass comment on him as a player but his price as effectivelly 4th choice center back is better than going blowing 10 million or so on some one younger to fill the same role, if their ever was a low risk signing I think this could be classed as one as he just adds to our strength in depth.
      9torres
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 115 posts |
      • lfc 4 lyf
      Reply #65: Aug 21, 2009 05:27:33 pm
      hes good , and he has english football experience so bonus and for only 1.5m :)
      Daz_La_Mon
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 71 posts |
      Reply #66: Aug 21, 2009 05:47:37 pm
      I think its a good move by Rafa. Like Billythered said, hes no springchicken but neither is Carra. Hopefully like Carra he'll know when to put a good tackle in and use his experience to know which way a defending is most likely to turn.

Good luck to the fella
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #67: Aug 21, 2009 06:06:43 pm
      Liverpool complete Kyrgiakos deal
      Liverpool have today completed the signing of Greek international defender Sotirios Kyrgiakos from AEK Athens.  
      The 30-year-old has put pen to paper on a two-year deal with the option of a further year after successfully completing a medical.

Trikala-born Kyrgiakos began his career at the Panathinaikos academy in 1996 before being loaned out to Greek second division club Agios Nikolaos.

He was recalled by his parent club in 2001 and the powerful centre-back quickly established himself as a regular member of the Panathinaikos first team, helping them to a Greek league and cup double in 2004.

In January 2005, Kyrgiakos acquired his first taste of British football as he joined Glasgow Rangers on loan.

After clinching the Scottish title and League Cup, the deal was made permanent in the summer of the same year as the 6ft 4ins defender agreed a one-year contract at Ibrox.

The Bundesliga was his next destination with the tough-tackling stopper sealing a transfer to Eintracht Frankfurt in 2006, where he spent two seasons before joining AEK last summer.

A knee injury kept Kyrgiakos out of Greece's historic triumph at Euro 2004, although he started each of his country's three matches in the same tournament four years later.

In total, he has won 50 caps for the Greek national team.

LFC.TV

cezar_sl
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 612 posts |
      Reply #68: Aug 21, 2009 08:17:27 pm
      I hate the fact he has a ponytail.
      No good can come from that.

Quick Reply