Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Sotirios Kyrgiakos - the Wolfsburg days

Read 80845 times
      MickyMetal
      • Banned
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts |
      Re: Sotirios Kyrgiakos Player Thread
      Reply #506: Jun 16, 2011 06:06:24 pm
      Soto's been given a one year extension - great back up player to have, i'm happy for Soto.
      There was interest from Blackburn but i think Kenny realises that we may need Soto's heading abilities for fixtures against teams which play long ball - like Blackburn! Could get us a goal or two when he goes for corners as well...
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #507: Jun 16, 2011 07:01:30 pm
      Had a good spell for us but has been very poor imo recently, we need to focus on younger CBs aka Kelly, Wilson, Wisdom, Ayala if he's staying.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #508: Jun 16, 2011 07:10:07 pm
      Wouldn't say a word against him but he was a stop gap measure and he did a job for us but hopefully the stop gap days are a thing of the past.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #509: Jun 16, 2011 09:39:59 pm
      I've got no problem with this news at all, the youngsters can learn a lot from Sotis. I don't suspect for one minute that he'll be a regular fixture in the team.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #510: Jun 16, 2011 09:59:53 pm
      Wonder will it stop us wasting money on another CB when we have Carra Agger Kyrgiakos Skrtal Wilson, Wisdom, Ayala,more money for strikers and wingers.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #511: Jun 16, 2011 10:23:41 pm
      Wonder will it stop us wasting money on another CB when we have Carra Agger Kyrgiakos Skrtal Wilson, Wisdom, Ayala,more money for strikers and wingers.

I don't know about "wasting" money on a centre back mate, we definately need one IMHO and have done for a couple of seasons. I keep reading people saying "well central midfield's sorted" and "the defence is fine" and it makes you wonder why we have finsihed 7th snd 6th in the last two seasons.

I would have thought if Vidic played for us instead of the mancs we would have finished top four comfortably last season, ditto John Terry or Vincent Kompany. We need a centre half alright, unless we're happy with perenially finishing sixth or seventh that is. 
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #512: Jun 16, 2011 11:39:23 pm
      Agree completely, absolutely the most important signing we make this summer is at Centre-Half. Despite his obvious aerial prescence, threat on corners and honest defending Soto getting another year's deal does make me a little twitchy that Kenny and Commoli are happy with what we have at the back. I'd be quite di-heartened if we go into the new season relying on Carra, Skrtel, the perenially injured Agger and big Soto as our 4 Cb's.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #513: Jun 16, 2011 11:45:07 pm
      I don't know about "wasting" money on a centre back mate, we definately need one IMHO and have done for a couple of seasons. I keep reading people saying "well central midfield's sorted" and "the defence is fine" and it makes you wonder why we have finsihed 7th snd 6th in the last two seasons.

Personally I don't think our defense is that bad for another season or so, our main problem over the last couple of years has been central midfield, the biggest majority of the games we have lost the past two season is we have been out fought out thought and out played in midfield and in football when your lose the midfield battle its only a matter of time before you concede.

Hopefully the introduction of wingers this season will open more space for our central midfielders to play in and help them get  hold of a game by the scruff of its neck, something that has been lacking for the majority of the past two seasons, under Rafa, Roy and Kenny.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #514: Jun 16, 2011 11:51:17 pm
      Was he given the extension or was this just a clause activated in his contract?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #515: Jun 17, 2011 12:06:26 am
      Was he given the extension or was this just a clause activated in his contract?

Activated in his contract.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #516: Jun 17, 2011 12:38:52 am
      Quantity is not always quality!

Carragher will be 33, Agger never fit, Krygiakos not my cup of tea, etc
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #517: Jun 17, 2011 12:47:45 am
      Got a lot of love for the big Greek and in my eyes, he's a cult hero.  Played 45 odd games for us in 2 seasons and I recall 2 shockers, 3 below standard and the rest of the time he has either been good or excellent.  He's not a particularly expansive CB and to say he isn't limited is nothing short of a lie, but he doesn't moan about lack of first team opportunities, seems happy to help the team out (retired from international football to focus on Liverpool), gives his all (lost some teeth in the process), is experienced and is on relatively low wages.  I feel confident with him at the back and what a F***ing head he's got.  You need lads like him in your squad, does what it say on the tin and nothing else.  Good lad Sotis, I'm a fan!
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #518: Jun 17, 2011 01:14:58 am
      Got a lot of love for the big Greek and in my eyes, he's a cult hero.  Played 45 odd games for us in 2 seasons and I recall 2 shockers, 3 below standard and the rest of the time he has either been good or excellent.  He's not a particularly expansive CB and to say he isn't limited is nothing short of a lie, but he doesn't moan about lack of first team opportunities, seems happy to help the team out (retired from international football to focus on Liverpool), gives his all (lost some teeth in the process), is experienced and is on relatively low wages.  I feel confident with him at the back and what a f**king head he's got.  You need lads like him in your squad, does what it say on the tin and nothing else.  Good lad Sotis, I'm a fan!

Can also use him up front instead of Andy. Nobody will notice. ;)
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #519: Jun 17, 2011 01:30:43 am
      Can also use him up front instead of Andy. Nobody will notice. ;)

Should be issued the number 9 jersey next year and watch opposition defences run up the field to mark "Carroll" while "Kyrgiakos", our new number 16, is up front banging them in for fun.  Sound plan.  Get on the blower to Kenny mate.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #520: Jun 17, 2011 01:33:23 am
      Got a lot of love for the big Greek and in my eyes, he's a cult hero.  Played 45 odd games for us in 2 seasons and I recall 2 shockers, 3 below standard and the rest of the time he has either been good or excellent.  He's not a particularly expansive CB and to say he isn't limited is nothing short of a lie, but he doesn't moan about lack of first team opportunities, seems happy to help the team out (retired from international football to focus on Liverpool), gives his all (lost some teeth in the process), is experienced and is on relatively low wages.  I feel confident with him at the back and what a f**king head he's got.  You need lads like him in your squad, does what it say on the tin and nothing else.  Good lad Sotis, I'm a fan!

Amen.
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #521: Jun 17, 2011 01:42:36 am
      Everytime he goes on for us you know he is going to give 100% , i like that in a player.

Not flashy but effective.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #522: Jun 17, 2011 09:42:41 pm
      I won't lie, when we signed him, I couldn't believe we had signed a bit of a Rangers reject. However, while there have been the odd occasions when I wish someone else was on in his place, I think he was a great signing and I fully go along with those who refer to him as a bit of a "cult hero". Always gives 100% and he does exactly what he is asked to. I hope we don't see him too often in the first XI next season, as I feel we could do slightly better, but he is a player that is great to have around and who the youth can certainly learn from.

Well in Soti mate!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #523: Jun 18, 2011 12:31:10 am
      Definitely a player who fits in to the status as Cult Hero, with players like Ronnie Rosenthal, Igor Biscan & Gary Mac
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #524: Jun 18, 2011 04:00:14 am
      I like him but he is too slow. I asked one of my greek mates if anyone was interested in taking him back to greece and he laughed his bollocks off. he does give 100% I agree but so does Cole and Jova but doesn't mean they are good enough to force themselves into the team.

this is F***ing disrespectful and offensive to sotis, molding jova and cole in with him after the efforts he gave this year and his attitude compared to them.
      MickyMetal
      • Banned
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts |
      Reply #525: Jun 18, 2011 04:45:52 pm
      this is f**king disrespectful and offensive to sotis, molding jova and cole in with him after the efforts he gave this year and his attitude compared to them.

I agree, it's one to thing to make mistakes in a few games (like Soto did against braga and west brom) and it's a different thing to have the totally wrong attitude for the whole time you're at a club (Cole and Jova). Cole got sent off in his FIRST game for us because he got frustrated that he wasn't playing well, this suggests to me a lack of discipline. He also tries to take on the whole opposition just so show that he is a good player, this suggests to me that he doesn't think much of his teamates because he wants to show people what HE PERSONALLY can do. Cole also lashes out at opposition players when he is dispossesed, he doesn't run and hassle the player legally like gerrard/kuyt/Leiva does, he brings them down with alot of MALICE and frustration. He gets needlessly booked with this totally wrong attitude. It doesn't make a difference what he's doing in the training if he's doing that during games, it HARMS the TEAM.

As for Jova, he has made it clear that he wants to leave the club, he said he wants regular football even though his form has suggested that he shouldn't be anywhere near the stating line-up. Bad attitude.

You cannot compare the two above with Soto who has made mistakes in a few games but you cannot fault his attitude or his application. He's given up international football for us (he gave up going to the World cup in South Africa to play for us!), he's lost teeth for the cause, he puts his head into challenges where most players fear to put their feet, he's had more stitches, gashes and lacerations on his bonce than anyone i can remeber (apart form Cara) but he just runs off the field, gets his injuries bandaged in red cloth and comes back for more! He's like our own Spartan warrior!

Yeah, he's not the best centre back in the world but you cannot deny his application and his never say die attitude. In a world of over-paid, over-priced foreign nancy boys who are scared of getting stuck in and prefer to dive all over the place, Soto is a breath of fresh air. He is the perfect player to have for that cold wet February away game at Stoke when they'll launch that ball high into our box, especially if one of our regular CBs are injured/suspended.
      Well done Soto lad, glad you got the extension..
      « Last Edit: Jun 18, 2011 04:52:16 pm by MickyMetal »
      MickyMetal
      • Banned
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts |
      Reply #526: Jun 18, 2011 05:25:32 pm
      allthebest, i don't know why you're getting aggressive with me, all i did was express my opinion on the matter. I don't know why you're effing and blinding at me?

As for the old "coming off an injury" excuse, i'm sorry but i can't see what coming of an injury has got to do with Cole launching himself at the opposition and getting red/yellow cards. He was fit in those games otherwise he wouldn't have been selected to start and his injuries had nothing do with his decisions to try and take on the whole opposition by himself, or bring down a player when he lost possession, and scream at the ref like a petulant child when he conceded a foul, this is not the Liverpool way.

It's clear that you've taken a leaf out of Cole's book when it comes to attitude because you launched an attack on me for not getting your way in this discussion.

Anyway, this thread is not about Cole (who will no doubt leave us soon) it's about Soto, who is staying with us for another 12 months.
      Yes he is slow, but he is arguably the best header of the ball in our team and is a threat at set-pieces drawing attention from opposition defenders so caroll can get free....
      We need a mix of players with different attributes in our defence. We have pace with Skrtel, experience and positioning with Carra, youthful exuberance, pace and passion with the youngsters, and Soto with his heading abilities and set piece threat. A good mix if ever i saw one...
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,537 posts | 1773 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #527: Jun 18, 2011 06:38:50 pm
      I won't lie, when we signed him, I couldn't believe we had signed a bit of a Rangers reject. However, while there have been the odd occasions when I wish someone else was on in his place, I think he was a great signing and I fully go along with those who refer to him as a bit of a "cult hero". Always gives 100% and he does exactly what he is asked to. I hope we don't see him too often in the first XI next season, as I feel we could do slightly better, but he is a player that is great to have around and who the youth can certainly learn from.

Well in Soti mate!

this, except I knew he was ok from his gers days, they could not afford him is all.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #528: Jul 23, 2011 08:41:29 pm
      Cumbersome, slow and F***ing awful in possession. Think he is a complete liabilty. Think we will have major problems next season if we are relying on this lad

Quick Reply