Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Hicks And Gillett OUT NOW leaflet

Read 9721 times
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Re: Hicks And Gillett OUT NOW leaflet
      Reply #23: Sep 26, 2009 01:25:32 am
      I think a war between the KOP and ownership would inevitably spill on too the pitch and effect the players and atmosphere at Anfield.  When their is tension and stress coming from the boardroom it has the ability to tear a team in half.  Unfortunately, taking away the ticket and concession money via a boycott is the most direct effect.  The majority of American "Sports Business" is just that, a business. Owners see red and black, dollars and cents. 

If you want to know a worse case scenario, go to Wikipedia and look up Cleveland Browns. The Browns were/are an American Football team with a long history and the largest fan base of all American Football teams. I supported them my entire life. my dad and his dad supported them. The Owner was losing money, so he MOVED the team to another state. The fans sold out everygame for 48 years. on average of 90,000 seats a game, every game. He still moved for more money.

I hate the American sports model.  I think it has destroyed all of our sports. Professional sport in America has been ripped from the fans and supporters and put into the hands of corporate business men.  Athletes in America wont sign an autograph unless they get paid for it.   I actually went to a Baseball game and saw a player signing autographs, which was rare. A kid who was 8-9 years old held out his baseball glove and asked the player to sign it, the player said "No", he couldn't sign it because the company that made the glove was not the company he had a contract with.  That kid didn't care about contracts or sponsorship, he just knows that some asshole who gets million dollars a year to play a game, wouldnt sign a goddamn baseball glove.

I Implore the LFC community to do whatever you have to do to keep Liverpool Football Club in the hands of the supporters. If you guys actually think that the current ownership group would not sell out the team and community your mistaken.  If H&G think they can make money and move LFC to another city or country, they will and it can happen. They dont care that Gerrard is a hometown boy. If they could sell Gerrard to Man U and make money, they will. They dont care about you!  If standing up and walking out of the KOP is whats needed. Then do it. If blocking the gates to Anfield works, do it. I have had a team I supported ripped away from me because of business, dont let them ruin Liverpool.  I am in envy of Football in England. The atmosphere, history everything about your game is awesome.  Dont let "business" destroy that. 

Do what needs to be done! Play their game.  Take their money and they will listen.

whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Re: Hicks And Gillett OUT NOW leaflet
      Reply #24: Sep 26, 2009 01:49:13 am
      Bloody hell YANK_LFC_FAN, that's a chilling message.

We've had one example of a team being moved here that I can think of, Wimbledon FC, now known as MK Dons.  Wimbledon FC were a small club that suddenly hit the big time by progressing through the various divisions and eventually making it to the old Div 1 (now the EPL).  They stayed at that level for a few seasons until the sh*t hit the fan.  They used to play at a ground called Plough Lane in Wimbledon.  It was small, not suited to the new ground regulations following the Hillsborough tragedy so they eventually moved to a ground share with the then Div 2 club, Crystal Palace.  Since then, they failed to find a home of their own and eventually moved up to Milton Keynes.  Hence the new club name.

I'm sure that's a completely different scenario to your Cleveland Browns but Wimbledon had a (much smaller) fan base, and the majority seemed (ime) to travel as well.  Once the club moved they lost that support.  This is all based on the experiences of my ex's cousins who hardly ever missed a home or away match, even when they "temporarily" moved to Selhurst Park.

I really hope this doesn't happen again in football over here.

Quick Reply