Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Only £40m ?

Read 1813 times
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Only £40m ?
      Apr 03, 2007 11:24:12 am
      That has been the morning reports that Hicks & Gillette have given us for the summer. Imo that is not enough as we are linked with David Villa, Eto'o, Daniel Alves and other superstars but surely each club will want £40m for each player. If i was Hick i would give Rafa £60m he deserves it. Well at least its more than Moores gave us which was £15m each season plus the players we sell.
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Re: Only £40m ?
      Reply #1: Apr 03, 2007 11:37:40 am
      TBH I've heard every figure from £20m to £120m mentioned.

Gillett & Hicks haven't mentioned a figure themselves, purely that Rafa will have the money he needs, and I expect them to stick to that.

As I've mentioned in other threads I feel we only need 2 wingers and a striker in the summer, I'd expect to see Rafa handed however much it costs to buy those three players. Personally I feel it'll take about £50m, but what do I know?
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #2: Apr 03, 2007 11:50:20 am
      Morning Rafa, I wouldn’t believe the figure of £40m for a minute, unless Gillet or Hicks have been to the press and told them its just a case of the media trying to second guess our plans and getting it wrong again.
      As you can see from the piece below in today’s Liverpool Daily Post Rafa has given them no figure for transfer fees but you can bet he and the owners know exactly what needs to be spent, also remember whatever cash he gets will be bumped up by the selling of players no longer needed.

Of the meeting, Benitez said last night: “We were talking about ideas for the future and it was good. I think it is a bright future. Everything was positive and for me the future of the club looks brilliant.
      “It clear this is important for the club. Hopefully it will be fantastic for us.
      “I don’t want to talk about figures because we are about to play a Champions League game, but they said that we are going in the right direction.”
      Paolo
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #3: Apr 03, 2007 11:53:43 am
      I don't believe in this kind of news
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #4: Apr 03, 2007 11:58:15 am
      This should be interesting. I really want to know what was said in that meeting. I've been hearing stories about what could be said and all sorts!
      I wonder if the Liverpool Echos reports were true. 'Rafa want to be backed for Owen bid'
      I wonder...
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #5: Apr 03, 2007 12:06:40 pm
      From now on the word 'Owen' should be sensored same with Man U*d. TBH (thanks eddie for the meaning of the word) i think Owen is past it and Rafa is not in the slightest of buying him back for the club. IMO i would not spend more than £3m on Owen with him on 40,000 a week. Maybe he might just try but Owen is not even in the best top 50 strikers in the world anymore
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #6: Apr 03, 2007 12:08:37 pm
      This should be interesting. I really want to know what was said in that meeting. I've been hearing stories about what could be said and all sorts!
      I wonder if the Liverpool Echos reports were true. 'Rafa want to be backed for Owen bid'
      I wonder...

I was wondering the same thing.

I don't usually believe any rumours unless they're printed in the Echo, but I'm still not sure if I can see this one happening. Time will tell...
      Owen is not even in the best top 50 strikers in the world anymore

I'd say that's a bit harsh, but you're right in saying he's not the player he used to be. He's definately fallen outside the top 20 IMO
      kingjari
      • Forum David Johnson

• 216 posts | 10 
      • Spirit of Shankly/Liverpool Supporters Union
      Reply #7: Apr 03, 2007 12:52:53 pm
      I was also dissapointed with this supposed figure but unless it's in the daily post or echo i don't believe it. if it is  £40 mil  then a further 12 to 15 million will hopefully be added through player sales  cisse, sinama, le tallec et all.
      hound
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 336 posts | -2 
      Reply #8: Apr 03, 2007 09:49:45 pm
      I think its a case of at least 40m but will aslo back rafa with which ever player he goes for !
      there wont be figure
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #9: Apr 03, 2007 09:54:37 pm
      why need anything more  ??? ???,
      we have the making of the best Liverpool side ever.
      just a couple of signings and we'll be there, we have a lot of average to get rid of first.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #10: Apr 03, 2007 10:08:47 pm
      why need anything more  ??? ???,
      we have the making of the best Liverpool side ever.
      just a couple of signings and we'll be there, we have a lot of average to get rid of first.

Players cost loads of money mate
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #11: Apr 03, 2007 10:13:50 pm

£40m is a lot of money mate.
      We can recoup a lot of money (ie Cisse £8-10m, Bellamy??, £8m, etc.)
      suddenly we have a war chest of around £60 - £70m,
      stop reading the bull541t tabloids and get real mate,
      you sound like a looney we once had ;)  oooops
      batman0077
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #12: Apr 03, 2007 10:17:54 pm
      sounds great, but rafa is used to managing small band accounts. it was the same deal at valencia. now that he has all this money, he might get a bit over whelmed. i do trust that he will make sensible decisions like he always does, but he might go a bit overboard. he could sign O*en back, or spend too much on one player. the chances of this are very small because rafa is a very sensible man, but a bug could get in his ear and make him think a bit....
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #13: Apr 03, 2007 10:33:33 pm
      Mrtommo you're a wise man...exactly right 40 mill is great and selling off the the deadwood will bring in a chunk of change. We are almost there....a few additions and the Prem is ours....we are LFC...we are a team not a few individuals....in rafa we trust
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #14: Apr 03, 2007 11:29:23 pm
      From now on the word 'Owen' should be sensored same with Man U*d. TBH (thanks eddie for the meaning of the word) i think Owen is past it and Rafa is not in the slightest of buying him back for the club. IMO i would not spend more than £3m on Owen with him on 40,000 a week. Maybe he might just try but Owen is not even in the best top 50 strikers in the world anymore

It was in a column in the LIVERPOOL ECHO.
      I trust our local paper. ;)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reply #15: Apr 03, 2007 11:38:33 pm
      My personal opinion that Benitez has been promised whatever he has asked for.  I don't think he would want to go out and buy £30 million players anyway.  He just wants us to be able to compete for the players he wants - the likes of Alves where a £10 million fee was too much.  We won't be buying the Shevchenko's and Ballacks for tens of millions because that is not how Rafa works. 

He knows how to squeeze value and I think it would be wrong of Liverpool to go out and pay silly money for crazy players with enormous ego's and even more enormous pressure on them.

It isn't the Liverpool way.  But whoever Rafa wants - I am sure he will backed to purchase.  That's the key difference now.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #16: Apr 04, 2007 02:50:58 am
      Exactly...The Liverpool Way. Thats what has always set us apart and why the fans are diehard and why supporters of other teams with a proper understanding and knowledge of our beautiful game have always admired and envied us....exactly why the Chavs and the Scum will never get the love of the true football fans across the world. We are a team not a collection of individuals. We are LFC.
      batman0077
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #17: Apr 04, 2007 03:14:10 am
      Exactly...The Liverpool Way. Thats what has always set us apart and why the fans are diehard and why supporters of other teams with a proper understanding and knowledge of our beautiful game have always admired and envied us....exactly why the Chavs and the Scum will never get the love of the true football fans across the world. We are a team not a collection of individuals. We are LFC.

couldn't agree more lester. YNWA

Quick Reply