Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who was your Man of the Match today? (Somehow)

Fernando Torres
      (8.6%)
      Glen Johnson
      (29.5%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (9.4%)
      Jamie Carragher
      (22.3%)
      Emiliano Insua
      (4.3%)
      Javier Mascherano
      (23.7%)
      Lucas Leiva
      (2.2%)

Liverpool FC vs Aston Villa: Post match grumblings

Read 54584 times
      bri1970
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      Re: Liverpool FC vs Aston Villa: Post match grumblings
      Reply #299: Aug 25, 2009 04:02:57 pm
      Was a very frustrating game last night, we didn't seem to start playing with any tempo or desire until we were 2 down but all is not lost and still a long way to go.
      Lets go to Bolton on Sunday and dictate the game from the off and play with the same tempo as we did in the second half.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #300: Aug 25, 2009 04:08:24 pm
      I really don't go along with the team looking slugish, we were unlucky not to score a few goals before they got lucky with an OG, if we had scored first would we have lost, Villa had far less shots on target and off target, it was one of those days nothing more. We have to get over this quickkly otherwise these results have a habit of lingering, like the draws last season all happened around the same time, so we must show bolton no mercy and if we cannot beat them we shall be in trouble....
      dangargan
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts |
      Reply #301: Aug 25, 2009 04:17:49 pm
      Didnt we finish with 21 shots on goal? wtf thats loads, another day it would be enough. The penalty killed our momentum simple as. We should go to Bolton and play them off the pitch (although it will probably end up being the opposite)
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #302: Aug 25, 2009 04:29:16 pm
      3 games and we're already in the bottom half of the league but I don't think we should worry about things. Remember lads that after 3 games we got to face 2 of premier league's better teams out of big 4 while others got lesser teams to play. Look at Scum, they got easy 3 early games but lost out to Burnley on one. On the positive side we at last got to beat Stoke!

As much as we hate losing but I think we should look things in a positive manner. It's still early of the season. Hate to say this but look at Scum last season. They started poorly but managed to scrap narrow wins and won the league by a whisker. But looking at the entire performance last night, I say we are missing some sparks. There's no urgency in the game. When we were down by a goal, we still trying to play cool football with no right combination to attack. There's no width in attacks. While Glen has been trying hard to win balls and initiate attacks, some were just generously giving the ball away cheaply. Too much back passing when we should march forward cost us the game. Although I hate to admit it, Xabi's departure seems to be affecting our game. Not to say it was the main problem but we don't have a player similar to Xabi's mould. Lucas was the similar playing style with Masch and between them I might say there's no direct understanding because they posesses similar traits;defensive minded midfielders and thus lacking in creative flair of passing. Last season we benefited from Xabi's presence and thus freeing Gerrard to be more attacking minded and dictating games. Right now with both our midfielders are more defensive type, Gerrard has to assume role of midfield maestro while at the same time planning attacks with Torres. Look how uneffective Torres was when Gerrard has to adapt back to midfield position and attacking at the same time. I mean doing both midfield and attacking roles did some damage to his performance as well as Torres.

Last night, most of our players were merely just playing not dictating the game. There's a lot of mistakes and mispasses. Torres didn't look like his usual, while Gerrard has to do both midfield and attacking duties. Our left flank was totally out and there's many missed chances. Lucas by far was our worst performer in that game but to say he's not that good it's a bit too much. Maybe he didn't have what it takes to be as good as Xabi but at least he's trying but we're in dire need of a good one who can create diverse opportunities and passes. Maybe Aquilani is our answer to the problem but he's still out injured and I bet he's aching to have a shot right now.

Please don't gun down our players just yet. It's just 3 games and there's 35 games to be played. Let just hope this was just a glitch in our system and hope Rafa got it sorted once and for all. In Rafa we trust and in Liverpool we gave our utmost support!
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #303: Aug 25, 2009 04:49:29 pm
      I'm not gunning down the players but dont you think that there seems to be something of a different feel about the team this season so far and I just dont mean missing Xabi. I cant put my finger on it but something just doesnt seem right.
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #304: Aug 25, 2009 04:54:17 pm
      I know what you feel johnnie...I felt the same way. It's like we're missing something and not just Xabi. I think we are missing the cohesiveness within the team. Lucas and Masch both have same style of playing. They are more defensive minded midfielders. Xabi on the other hand, are both defensive and playmaker. He could initiate moves, passes around the ball anywhere at his will, could link up with Gerrard and Torres and even score goals. While this season, Gerrard has to accomodate the role of a midfield, initiator, passer and attacker all together as both Masch and Lucas couldn't do what Xabi has done. He hasn't have to worry about this last season because Xabi had all covered.

I just hope this can be sorted out and it will motivates them. I mean 19 years has been too long for us. It misses the comfort of home while it has been wandering about the toilet house and foster homes for almost 19 years now. We need to get it back to the place it most fond of and that is Anfield. No more toilet house(Scum) or foster home(Chavs) for our 19th title.
      « Last Edit: Aug 25, 2009 05:26:18 pm by macca8 »
      govinox
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 661 posts |
      • Where once we watched the King Kenny play.
      Reply #305: Aug 25, 2009 04:59:48 pm
      Its still early in the season so I dont think it is time to panic just yet. My thoughts are that we should have played more attacking in the first half, and we didnt see that sense of urgency until the second half. 
      We defend poorly from set pieces and yet we rarely score from our own corners and free kicks. Somehow Davies gets in there first from 5 yards out and yet two Liverpool bodies are right next to him. To me it is naive defending that we dont at least spoil his header on goal.

To be honest I am not going to be as negative as everybody else because although Gerrard made the ultimate mistake in his own box he was trying hard to set something up and at the other end he still looked our most dangerous threat. We played too central and without width, which against a team who defend as well as Villa did is difficult to break down. We are still missing another class striker to bring on in circumstances like last night, and Voronim & Babel are both average. If Rafa really does have any money left we need that extra striker so we can go more attacking when chasing games.
      We were unlucky on 9 minutes when we had a double chance to score and incredibly the ball stayed out. We created quite a few chances and didnt convert, Like when Kuyt hit the post, but I thought the overall display was nothing near as bad as the Spurs effort. The own goal from Lucas was poor defending, and this player continues to be inconsistent. Two defensive midfielders is not the way to go especially at Anfield and there must be more width in our attacking play. 
      I am confident this can be turned around, although I will start to worry if we give Chelsea much more of a lead because they look stronger than ever this campaign.

Good point there. Rafa often has a tendency to make his team set out for a draw first. The Tottenham game and the Villa game are examples, we didn't set out to attack from the start.It's get to halftime with 0-0 then let's see what we can do with in the second half. For 2 thirds of last season this was the case,but when we lost to Boro we began playing more attacking football and went on that brilliant run.

I hope the loss to Villa does make Rafa realize that we are truly capable of attacking right from the start.We have to go for every game now.
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #306: Aug 25, 2009 05:19:58 pm
      Yesterday we had so many chances to score before and after they scored each goal. It means we are creating chances. We haven't got the right players at the right place to score them. Xabi Alonso would have been there to score them right? I understand that we did not play at the same rythm as last year, but we had chances. Right now I can remember Kuyt missing two chances within metres of goal, torres free header, Gerrard missing in front of the keeper who was on his arse, not to mention the numerous shots we had on goal. We also conceded 3 stupid goals from on goal, corner, penalty. It happened last season with Alonso, it will happen again! Thats football. We just need to reduce these to a minimum and take our chances at the other end. Yesterday could have been a riot of goals for us. Nobody can deny this.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,281 posts | 2835 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #307: Aug 25, 2009 05:21:55 pm
      Yesterday we had so many chances to score before and after they scored each goal. It means we are creating chances. We haven't got the right players at the right place to score them. Xabi Alonso would have been there to score them right?

Xabi wasnt exactly banging them in for us now was he in his 5 years
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,299 posts | 766 
      Reply #308: Aug 25, 2009 05:27:38 pm
      Very bad defending, Once again we cannot defend set pieces,not looking too good for the season at this rate we will struggle to finish in the top four. Never mind win the Premiership
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #309: Aug 25, 2009 05:29:06 pm
      Didnt we finish with 21 shots on goal? wtf thats loads, another day it would be enough. The penalty killed our momentum simple as.

You're right, that pen was a sucker punch - just as the one against us for Spurs' winner the other week was too.

That's something we've got to learn from.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,393 posts | 2823 
      Reply #310: Aug 25, 2009 07:35:32 pm
      One note, I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet but yes we had a lot of shots last night, but was it just me or were a hell of a lot of them at Friedel or just above him?

The majority of long range efforts were straight at him as were any headers that we won. Needs work on in training.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #311: Aug 25, 2009 07:50:58 pm
      One note, I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet but yes we had a lot of shots last night, but was it just me or were a hell of a lot of them at Friedel or just above him?

The majority of long range efforts were straight at him as were any headers that we won. Needs work on in training.

I can remember a Kuyt and Torres header straight at him, a Gerrard and Mascherano shot straight at him and also Masch hit one to his left but it was a step to the side and he had it comfortably. Also when Gerrard missed from that scramble where Benny, Steven and Fernando should of scored. So 6 off the top of my head that went to him.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #312: Aug 25, 2009 07:57:25 pm
      Some people, myself included, have had a right good moan.

But stone of crows... http://www.anfield-online.co.uk/match-reports/premiership/2009/liverpool-1-3-aston-villa/#comment-11568
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,393 posts | 2823 
      Reply #313: Aug 25, 2009 07:59:47 pm

:lmao:

Wonder what he'll say when we win on Saturday. ::)
      aksh_jaj245
      • Forum David Johnson

• 238 posts |
      Reply #314: Aug 25, 2009 08:01:54 pm
      All I can say is its not yet time to press the panic button.. ok so we had a slow start..
      ideally even a tital winning team has atleast 2 bad months..
      last year it was Feb n I guess Nov.. This year its August..
      we cant always be off to a flier..its better to reach the peak into the season than in the beginning and lose our way by December..
      ok.. pundits are claiming chelsea to be champions already.. n spurs are gonna be there in the top four..
      if thats for sure.. then they'll soon relegate us.. but its not true

Again I am happy with injuries and lack of match fitness is in the beginning of the season than into it..
      wen we are in the mix.. it'll be imp that the squad is fit n full...
      our bench will suddenly show cavelieri skrtel lucas voronin babel riera aurelio with n'gog, colossus n dossena still available..(
       not even takin the youngsters into account)

its gonna be a gr8 season.. and the sqaud is good enough..am not the least worried...
      and I'd rather lose 2 n win 2 than draw 4.. we still have 2 extra points that way...

am positive.. very positive. we're soon gonna see the best of this team....

just keep faith guys
      we'll be there come may
      YNWA!!!
      SaintLiverpudlian
      • Forum John Toshack

• 278 posts |
      • Liverpool is my religion Anfield is my church
      Reply #315: Aug 25, 2009 08:04:16 pm
      a question out of the blue. why does rafa have a fetish towards injury prone players? aurelio, degen, aquilani is been prone in rome, so you can't say he isn't! add agger too. all of these are supposed to be starting line up players. then we're too good for owen, so he goes to united and we all hate him. I just hope our medical team does better medicals at getting players in.
      aksh_jaj245
      • Forum David Johnson

• 238 posts |
      Reply #316: Aug 25, 2009 08:07:19 pm
      a question out of the blue. why does rafa have a fetish towards injury prone players? aurelio, dossena, aquilani is been prone in rome, so you can't say he isn't!
      dossena ain't injures..
      Aurelio was his fav lad from valencia..
      n Aquilani is a gifted player..(so is aurelio).. cant blame him in any of the three
      SaintLiverpudlian
      • Forum John Toshack

• 278 posts |
      • Liverpool is my religion Anfield is my church
      Reply #317: Aug 25, 2009 08:09:57 pm
      im not blaming him, it's just that he doesn't care if the player is injury prone, and we pay the price. sorry, i meant degen not dossena.. im going to edit it!
      PJMAN
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 852 posts |
      • we ride
      Reply #318: Aug 25, 2009 11:13:27 pm
      Referees expect abuse from the dirts up the road, but when it is Liverpool FC it is not nice, nor professional. That is what upset me more than anything. Total lack of control. Whinging for everything and half the time wrong. Not the Liverpool way and should never be. I did not read anything today from Rafa condemning  the abuse and probably because he had a dig himself. Now do we want the refs on our case or do we go and sort it and win the league the proper way? We are LFC not them shitbags with the judas touch.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #319: Aug 25, 2009 11:38:44 pm
      I don't think Rafa did mention the ref did he?

PJMAN
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 852 posts |
      • we ride
      Reply #320: Aug 25, 2009 11:53:33 pm
      I don't think Rafa did mention the ref did he?

No but he had a go at the fourth official and that is not the way we should be doing things. He was wrong as well. The season is but young and we are showing other teams that we can't handle a bit of pressure. What will they be like if we need to win our last two games?
      « Last Edit: Aug 26, 2009 04:25:24 am by crouchinho »
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #321: Aug 26, 2009 12:19:53 am
      I think most of the anxiety coming from the posts is we already have (2) losses and last season we had (2) the entire season. 

So, now what?  I think LFC are playing in a giant fishbowl and the stress shows...Everyone expected them to top last season and win the league.  The only way to be better than last season is to go undefeated and win the league. That is a huge amount of stress on Rafa, Gerrard, Torres and the rest of the squad.

I expected Villa to play all out. Villa will finish the season in the top 4 and get a CL spot. They have a great squad. Thats why I posted last week saying Villa is going to be a huge win, if we won. We didn't. So, lets move on.

First. They dont need to top last season to win the league because Man U. are not what they were last year and LFC are just as good if not better than last year.. So relax. We had an AWESOME season last year and didn't win the league. They need to regroup, and just play good solid football. We can still lose 2 more games and win the league as long as we dont draw 7 times at home...

Everyone. RELAX.  Let them play and feel it out. 

Quick Reply