Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Xabi Alonso - would you sell him?

Read 6467 times
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Xabi Alonso - would you sell him?
      Apr 03, 2007 01:59:24 pm
      If Barca came sniffing around and offered Eto'o as part of the deal would you take it for a player we desperately need?
      I'm not saying i want Xabi to got of course not but sometimes when a once in a lifetime deal comes around you have to take it.

Lets look at Theirry Henry, linked with Barca and of course they were willing to pay big money for him. Instead he stays with Arsenal and has a horror season. Bet all or most Arsenal fans wish they cashed in on him now.

IMO Xabi's best season with us was 04/05 then his 2nd best season was 05/06 so this is possibly his worst season with us, has not impressed me at all and now not even a regular in the Spain national side.

I don't want to compare a great side like us to other teams but thats exactly what I'm going to do.
      Chelsea have 4 centre midfielders in Makelele - DM, Essien - CM, Lampard - AM, Ballack - AM. Only 1 really defensive midfielder there.
      Man U*d have Carrick - CM, Scholes - AM and i think thats it and they are top of league.
      Arsenal have just Gilberto Silva as defensive midfielder.

We have Masch & Xabi as defensive midfielders and Momo is more of a combative midfielder with the energy to run all over the field. Momo is not as defensive as Xabi even though quite a lot of people think he is.

Now i know some responses will be keep them all and get rid of Zenden (correct) but if we keep them all we won't see the real Stevie G and we will see too much tinkering which will mess up the start of the season again!

I think it was Glenbuck who said Xabi was not so mobile, well i think thats true and in this league you need players who have the ability to move around the field quickly and Xabi lacks that. He would suit Barca's style more (slow pace with a lot of passing football)

The real question is.. do we really need Xabi Alonso? Is it time to cash in while the time is perfect?
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Re: Xabi Alonso - would you sell him?
      Reply #1: Apr 03, 2007 02:11:18 pm
      Personally I would only be happy with Alonso going if firstly we couldn't get David Villa, and secondly he absolutely HAD to be used as a makeweight in a deal for Eto'o. Apart from that, we have never been a selling club and I wouldn't want us to start now.

You make a very good point about us having more defensive CM's than any of the other top teams. This is the way Rafa likes to play, always has been wherever he has managed. I still believe Rafa is keen on going back to a 4-2-3-1 formation more often, but even when he does play 4-4-2 he likes his CM's to be very disciplined defensively. I still see Xabi having a very important role to play at the club, either alongside Mascherano in a 5 man midfield, or playing alongside Sissoko in a 4 man midfield. I have said before that Xabi plays better alongside Momo than anyone else, always being in the right positions to pick up the simple ball once Sissoko's won it.

Definately keep him IMO. He hasn't had a great season, but not many of our players have.
      Paolo
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #2: Apr 03, 2007 03:12:48 pm
      to land Et'o in Anfield ??? ...... Immediatly !!
      batman0077
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #3: Apr 03, 2007 10:22:58 pm
      your right, xabi hasn't had the greatest season ever. but he is there when we need him. today, he saved us many times and helped the plays flow better. he can read the field and knows where to go and when to do what he needs to. he could improve a bit of a lot, but every player has to have some dip in his career. just so long as it doesn't stay that way.

IMO, keep him as long as he's going to improve from now.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #4: Apr 03, 2007 10:38:50 pm
      Love to keep him. The JM combination looks solid but as you say Ra Ra Rafa if it ment getting in a top striker I'd say yes but Tevez won't cost much so lets keep him!!!! The rest of you like Eto.....not so keen but if it became part of the deal then why not....he's been great for us over the seasons....maybe its time..
      edu_rbb
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 499 posts | 14 
      • En Sevilla
      Reply #5: Apr 03, 2007 10:41:59 pm
      Xabi alonso is unsaleable, there is no equal other one, though now this badly
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #6: Apr 03, 2007 10:48:00 pm
      Xabi, just may be unsettled by all this speculation.
      Again we played 3 central midfielders, in a system that worked YET AGAIN !!!

Why keep posting topics about selling one of our 4 central midfielders  ???

We have 4 top quality strikers vying for 2 positions, and 4 top quality central midfielders vying for 2 /3 places.
      Where is the problem  ??? ??? ??? ???

If we were taking of signing another CM then I would take things seriously, but come on ...
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #7: Apr 03, 2007 11:09:43 pm

That's actually a good question.

I'd only really want Alonso to be sold if he wanted to go. It's been a good while since we've had an engine room that is so diverse and strong. Different options of quality.

I'm not sure how many would agree with me on this, but to bring the title back to LFC, I think the central midfield is well equipped for the job.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #8: Apr 03, 2007 11:16:23 pm

We have 4 top quality strikers vying for 2 positions, and 4 top quality central midfielders vying for 2 /3 places.

Theres room for all 4 in the squad and all 4 will be needed to mount a serious title challange, the difficult bit may be keeping everyone happy by squad rotation.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #9: Apr 03, 2007 11:25:27 pm

If we were taking of signing another CM then I would take things seriously, but come on ...

Good point. Stop hyping up about selling one of our central midfielders. It is NOT the problem.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #10: Apr 04, 2007 02:52:22 am
      We are not and have never been a selling club. we are the club any true player would want to come to.
      batman0077
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #11: Apr 04, 2007 03:23:01 am
      We are not and have never been a selling club. we are the club any true player would want to come to.

correction: any TRUE player. we don't want someone like c. ronaldo who makes his own name for a club. this is a team sport and LFC show that in every way. whether its on the pitch, in the office, or on holiday, we set the example for true football around the world.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #12: Apr 04, 2007 05:07:50 am
      u misunderstood my posting but your sentiment is correct
      gerrard8
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 100 posts |
      Reply #13: Apr 04, 2007 09:30:58 am
      never get rid of alonso
      Paolo
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #14: Apr 04, 2007 09:35:42 am
      I really like Xabi also is a bit out of fit. I like think he will stay in Anfield for a long time but the real question is ... Will Rafa use Xabi to reach is great loved Et'o ?? As you know Barcelona is really interested to sign him.
      wdavidw10
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #15: Apr 04, 2007 09:42:39 am
      id keep alonso, we wud lose he great passing!!
      Cy
      Reply #16: Apr 04, 2007 09:46:40 am
      After the superb display of yesterday and how well he worked with Mascherano in the middle of the park it would be a mistake. This middlefields has a huge potential, I have my doubt on Xabi this year, he did not performed at his best but yesterday it was a real pleasure to see our players controlling so well the game. Nice one Xabi!
      kingjari
      • Forum David Johnson

• 216 posts | 10 
      • Spirit of Shankly/Liverpool Supporters Union
      Reply #17: Apr 05, 2007 12:29:55 pm
      keep alonso, keep gerrard, keep momo, keep mascherano get rid of zenden and this bloody topic!
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #18: Apr 05, 2007 12:41:55 pm
      keep alonso, keep gerrard, keep momo, keep mascherano get rid of zenden and this bloody topic!

Well, Zenden's probably got his last chance now, fighting it out with Gonzales for the LM spot for the rest of the season. I've never really been impressed with him, but his best games do ssem to have come out on the left.
      scallyon
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts |
      Reply #19: Apr 08, 2007 04:34:33 pm
      In one word NO 8) 8)
      batman0077
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #20: Apr 08, 2007 06:06:47 pm
      NEVER sell alonso. him, gerrard, masch, and kewell(when he gets better) will be the best midfield in europe. i can see it now...
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #21: Apr 08, 2007 07:24:09 pm
      Check out my answer in Which midfielder would you sell first? in The Kop.
      Xabi, Momo, Stevie and Zenden ???  are in the firing line... which one would you give the bullet?
      No prizes for guessing...  ::)
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #22: Apr 08, 2007 11:16:57 pm
      Check out my answer in Which midfielder would you sell first? in The Kop.
      Xabi, Momo, Stevie and Zenden ???  are in the firing line... which one would you give the bullet?
      No prizes for guessing...  ::)

Well obviously it's going to be Zenden...
      I do deserve a prize my friend. :D

Quick Reply