Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 28th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P5 W1 D3 L1

Pre-match: Bolton Wanderers vs Liverpool (EPL) - 29/8/09 3pm KO

Read 13189 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Pre-match: Bolton Wanderers vs Liverpool (EPL) - 29/8/09 3pm KO
      Reply #69: Aug 28, 2009 10:02:45 pm
      I'd like to see us put out this team:

Reina

Johnson    Carra    Skrtel    Insua

Masch
                   Gerrard
      Kuyt                                Riera
                   Benayoun
                               Torres

I'd happily go along with that team mate. I just feel with the loss of Alonso, we need to be a bit more versatile and not stick to one tried and tested formation.

It's nothing to do with wanting Lucas to be dropped because Lucas hasn't been the only player to not have an influence on our play lately. But dropping Gerrard back into midfield will be beneficial to getting things back on track and instilling a real dangerous edge to our attack. He can't help but want to play forwards.

Benayoun can easily feed Torres and with Benayoun's movement, hopefully it will stop Torres from getting a strop on if he's getting pushed about.

Little changes can do the world of good.

I'm working tomorrow so I'm gonna have to settle for the radio. Boooo!!

Come on you reds!!!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #70: Aug 28, 2009 10:14:26 pm
      I'd happily go along with that team mate.

Now is not the time to panic.  If Monday is anything to go by I'd rather not have Steven Gerrard anywhere near defending in our box. Especially when he will be wound up with the amount of stick he is getting from the Bolton fans.

Villa were restricted to one chance from open play and we had plenty of chances.

Now is not the time to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Same formation, same team, different finishing.

Oh, and anybody know approximately how long to go till kick off?
      Iano92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 958 posts |
      Reply #71: Aug 28, 2009 10:28:01 pm
      I think pacheco would be great behind Torres with Gerrard dropping back. Everytime I see him play he seems to always be creating and plus he reminds me of a attacking fabregas. I think Rafa needs to give the guy a chance seeing as the yanks are unwilling to part with cash. :mad:
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #72: Aug 28, 2009 10:29:29 pm
      Now is not the time to panic.  If Monday is anything to go by I'd rather not have Steven Gerrard anywhere near defending in our box. Especially when he will be wound up with the amount of stick he is getting from the Bolton fans.

Villa were restricted to one chance from open play and we had plenty of chances.

Now is not the time to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Same formation, same team, different finishing.

Oh, and anybody know approximately how long to go till kick off?

Not panicking, just aware that we need a bit of plan B so to speak. I've felt that way since the start of the season. I just think we need a bit more flexibility, because apart from the performance against an unusual casual Stoke, we've looked void of ideas.

Gerrard is not one for giving stupid pens away and he'll certainly boss the midfield if he's played there. In fact, I'd go as far to say that Gerrard would want to get that very bad mistake out of his system, which can only be good to influence the rest of our team.

I think Torres could do with a different player to link up with as well. Not in the long term of course, but I just feel he needs to freshen up a bit.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #73: Aug 28, 2009 10:31:57 pm
      I don't think we've got the players to be flexible though.  If we had another world class striker - like a team of our stature certainly should have - then Torres would be starting this game on the bench.

But we haven't and we just have to hope and wait for him to come good.
      Iano92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 958 posts |
      Reply #74: Aug 28, 2009 10:35:12 pm
      Put Torres on the bench are you mad he is the only striker in the premier league that even when having an off day can get you a goal or even two  :)
      StevieG123
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #75: Aug 28, 2009 10:36:55 pm
      Put Torres on the bench are you mad he is the only striker in the premier league that even when having an off day can get you a goal or even two  :)

Read what he said again and then answer. He said if we had another world class striker we could alternate and even leave Torres on the bench sometimes, but we don't so we'll use Torres week in, week out and hope he keeps fit.
      martinlfc199
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 65 posts |
      Reply #76: Aug 28, 2009 10:37:54 pm
      Read what he said again and then answer. He said if we had another world class striker we could alternate and even leave Torres on the bench sometimes, but we don't so we'll use Torres week in, week out and hope he keeps fit.

yeah thats what i was gettin at ;D
      Iano92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 958 posts |
      Reply #77: Aug 28, 2009 10:43:32 pm
      Oh sorry mis-read the post. As for back up for Torres sheva is the only player who I would trust as he has experience/quality in champs league aswell... But his wages maybe too steep for our owners...
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #78: Aug 28, 2009 11:04:32 pm
      I don't think we've got the players to be flexible though.  If we had another world class striker - like a team of our stature certainly should have - then Torres would be starting this game on the bench.

But we haven't and we just have to hope and wait for him to come good.

Agree about not having the players. But I mean being flexible with what players we've got. In this instance, using Gerrard's versatility and Benayoun's movement around the box.

Personally, I can't see Rafa changing the team from what started against Villa though.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #79: Aug 28, 2009 11:06:13 pm
      Only change I can see happening is perhaps Riera in for Benayoun?
      Iano92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 958 posts |
      Reply #80: Aug 28, 2009 11:07:19 pm
      Agree about not having the players. But I mean being flexible with what players we've got. In this instance, using Gerrard's versatility and Benayoun's movement around the box.

Personally, I can't see Rafa changing the team from what started against Villa though.
      No he won't start Lucas as not to damage the fellows morale after Monday... If we look comfortable with time to go then Lucas might so his butch hair cut but if that don't happen then I don't expect to see him tomorrow.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #81: Aug 28, 2009 11:08:11 pm
      Only change I can see happening is perhaps Riera in for Benayoun?

Pretty much the only change I can see.  I can't see him changing formation with Aquilani due back in a few weeks... unless Aquilani is playing behind Torres.

Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #82: Aug 28, 2009 11:12:41 pm
      Pretty much the only change I can see.  I can't see him changing formation with Aquilani due back in a few weeks... unless Aquilani is playing behind Torres.

Although I haven't seen him play that much, I'm pretty sure that he won't line up that far forward. He'll be the one running around the middle picking up the ball and getting the ball moving.

I really can't see Lucas not starting either because that would mean a re-shuffle.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #83: Aug 28, 2009 11:12:51 pm
      Exactly who do you mean in Sheva .
      Oh sorry mis-read the post. As for back up for Torres sheva is the only player who I would trust as he has experience/quality in champs league aswell... But his wages maybe too steep for our owners...
      Iano92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 958 posts |
      Reply #84: Aug 28, 2009 11:16:07 pm
      Exactly who do you mean in Sheva .

Andriy Shevchenko he has been told today he can go for free.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #85: Aug 28, 2009 11:18:08 pm
      Thats what i was afraid you meant you do know this is the pre match bolton thread and not the joke thread. :)
      mingles
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 128 posts |
      • GOD, THE NATION AND LIVERPOOL
      Reply #86: Aug 28, 2009 11:25:27 pm
      I think a basic 4-4-2 would do the trick

Johnson      Carragher      Skrtel         Insua

Benayoun     Gerrard        Masc          Reira

Kuyt          Torres

and hopefully Bolton 0   3 Liverpool

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #87: Aug 28, 2009 11:28:49 pm
      Think I'll pass on that formation.

I don't think playing Kuyt further up the field than Benayoun is the right way to go.

Far too much tinkering going on with the formations for my liking.
      Iano92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 958 posts |
      Reply #88: Aug 28, 2009 11:30:14 pm
      Thats what I was afraid you meant you do know this is the pre match bolton thread and not the joke thread. :)

Just because he had a torrid time at Chelsea doesn't make him a bad player. The reason he was a fail at Chelsea was that he wasn't wanted by a manager only the owner wanted him. If you could name a player that Liverpool could afford that is better than shevchenko and with the past pedigree as him well then you Sir sould replace Sammy:)

As for Kuijt starting upfront with Torres I just dont see Rafa ever letting them start together. i would just like to see Liverpool look more urgent and not panic when put under pressure from crosses/corners.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #89: Aug 28, 2009 11:37:59 pm
      So in youre wisdom just because we cant afford a good striker we should accept him ,you got this bit right past pedigree ,optimum word here being past,as in past it ,remember 2005 would you want a bottler like that playing for us ,not having a go mate just an opinion as you are welcome to yours.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #90: Aug 28, 2009 11:40:21 pm

Or just say sod it, we need a win lets go and win with an attacking 3-5-2.

Reina in goal (a given)
      Skrtel, Carra and the Greek bloke at the back. (three defenders who love to defend if what I hear about the Greek is right)
      Johnson right wing (gives him licence to do what he does best)
      Stevie, Lucas, Masch in the middle (allow Stevie to roam forward with Lucas and Masch holding while still, hopefully, making a contribution up the field)
      Riera left wing (although Insua doesn't deserved to be dropped, Riera is our best option for the left wing at the mo which shows how sh*t we are there)
      Kuyt and Torres up top (gives somebody else for the defenders to worry about, takes a little less strain off Torres)
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #91: Aug 28, 2009 11:40:29 pm
      If we had put away some of them early chances aginst the villa we wouldnt even be discussing the formation ,it was the finishing that let us down not the formation,hopefully it will improve tomorrow.

Quick Reply