Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Will it still feel the same when we're back on top?

Read 1718 times
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Will it still feel the same when we're back on top?
      Apr 04, 2007 06:45:00 pm
      Unlike some on here, I wasn't fortunate to grow up with the great Liverpool teams of yesteryear, I started supporting Liverpool at 6 years old in the late eighties and so have pretty much always been used to European qualification and winning the odd cup being the norm.

However these last couple of seasons, like most I have seen good times on the horizon again. Two major trophies in Rafa's first two seasons, but more importantly the squad starting to look much better year on year. I was sitting there today thinking about the last weeks results, the money coming into the club, new stadium etc, generally feeling positive about the direction the club's going, when something hit me. Will victory still be as sweet when it's the norm?

Istanbul was, and I'm pretty sure will always be, the greatest night of my life as a Liverpool fan. Would that night have meant so much to me if we were regularly winning things year in year out. I have the misfortune of having a couple of manc fans in the family, I remember through the mid nineties they didn't seem to get that excited when they clinched the league title for another season. I remember thinking 'WTF? I'd be jumping for joy now if that was us' was it just them, or does winning not mean us much when you win all the time.

As I said at the start of this post, I wasn't around during the glory years, but I know a lot of you were. Did it lose some of its shine, or was winning just as good no matter how many times it had been?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Re: Will it still feel the same when we're back on top?
      Reply #1: Apr 04, 2007 06:57:26 pm
      I started supporting the reds in the early 80's when I was about 5.  I remember the last throws of our total English domination and I remember it feeling great.

Istanbul was the greatest night in my life supporting the reds - but maybe that was because even though we have never stopped winning trophies in our absence from the top of the English game - it was back at being number one in Europe.

Winning the title is not just about clinching the trophy, but about being top and holding out on the pressure that gives you, or being second and constantly in the hunt, ready to snatch as your opponent weakens first.

I know one thing - Rafa Benitez is without a shadow of a doubt our best hope of landing number 19.
      ASF
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 96 posts |
      • Lets get a kitty
      Reply #2: Apr 04, 2007 07:42:45 pm
      I didn't really get into football until the mid eighties (I was 11) so only remember the last few league titles.

I only have vague recollections of the 4th Euro trophy (1985 I think?) so the night in Istanbul was the best night of my life in football terms.

Even for fans who can still remember all the great times, May 25th 2005 will always be etched in the fans memory as it was the biggest achievement we'd had in 20 long years.

The future does look good for us but even so, we will have to work very hard to be back at the top of the pile again.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #3: Apr 04, 2007 10:03:12 pm
      Coincidently, I myself learned I was a red in the early eighties (around the age of 5) - it had nothing to do with family situation though - you just know don't you. Although it did have an effect I presume. I remember the first most nerve racking game I endured (and trust me, my nerves were gone!) was the European Cup final in 84. I remember once the whistle went and it was to go to pens, I ran out into the back garden! But then I ran back in just as the pens were starting because I had to see us through til the end!

But anyway, the last few league titles of our domination always had the same affect on me! The same pride and ecstacty. Maybe a few older Liverbirds might be able to tell you different with their experience of more league titles, but for me it was always the same. I'm certain number 19 will have more of an ecstatic edge to it because it's been so long since the last one. But if we continue to dominate and knock up more titles, I'm very confident that each one will always be as sweet as the last! I'm getting all excited just thinking about it!!!!

Good post Eddie!!!!
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #4: Apr 05, 2007 05:26:58 pm
      I've followed Liverpool since the early 70's, and during that time I have always enjoyed us winning things, the league never got dull, winning year after year was just great, I pity your rels Eddie, who did not get excited. When we win the league I will guarantee you face will ache with all the smiling you will do over the next 12 months, knowing that we are the league champions.
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #5: Apr 05, 2007 07:47:42 pm
      Since my first cup final in 74 i have seen Liverpool Pick up more trophies than i could tell you without looking it up and i can honestly say every one brings me immense joy wether its a league cup win against Birmingham or a Champions league win it doesn't matter, if any supporters are entitled to get nonchalant about winning cups it would be us but we dont do we? there are masses of reds at every cup final with one thing in common, to see the reds pick up a trophy.
      When i was seven i went to my first league game and in 72/73 i saw the reds pick up a league title then over the years i saw them pick up ten more, each one was amazing never taken for granted and the heartache when we finished second was total, you see Shanks hit the nail on the head when he said something like "Europe is all very well and we are pleased to be in it, but" and then he pointed to the old league championship trophy and said "but this is our bread and butter, and we want to win this every year" and thats what i grew up believing.
      In footballing terms we are close to being back on top as are exploits in Europe are showing, all thats left now is the final step, they can change its title to the Premiership but its our league and we want it back, and never doubt how it would feel because when you want and need something so badly you celebrate every year you get to keep it.

Quick Reply