Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Article: Autopsy: Steven Cohen and the Ad boycott that ended his career

Read 2907 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Article: Autopsy: Steven Cohen and the Ad boycott that ended his career
      Aug 26, 2009 12:14:43 pm
      Autopsy: Steven Cohen and the Ad Boycott That Ended His Career

by Jim Edwards

The news that Steven Cohen has lost both his Fox Soccer Channel TV show and his Sirius XM radio show following an advertiser boycott urged by Liverpool F.C. fans does not sit comfortably with me. As a journalist (of sorts), it is always worrying when someone is literally driven off the air because a powerful segment of his audience merely disagrees with what he has said.

But this is not a simple case of censorship in which Liverpool’s Red masses have forced their way (even though to the observer it must look a lot like that). Rather, it is a case of a broadcaster who successfully established a market but failed to understand how strong the market he created had become.

Cohen’s demise has generated enormous interest on this blog. So it’s worth examining why it happened, and whose “fault” this was.

I’ve received a small number of emails from people suggesting that while they disagreed with Cohen’s “conspiracy theory” about who was to blame for Hillsborough, they were nonetheless only opinions and that Liverpool fans who urged the boycott have struck a poisonous blow against free speech. Cohen even took calls from Liverpool fans on his final show who were against the boycott. This BNET reader stated the case cogently:

Although I personally did not agree with the comments made by Steven Cohen about the tragedy at Hillsborough, it is an absolute disgrace the way some members of the Liverpool FC fan clubs have treated the situation.  Sending death threats and anti-semitic emails to Cohen and his family is unforgiveable.  In an effort to prove some point, these fans have eliminated the most important show about soccer in this country and alienated Liverpool supporters from the soccer community.  As a journalist, you of all people should be able to appreciate the value of free speech.

This is serious stuff. It is not to be taken lightly. And it certainly seems as if the Liverpool fans have committed a crime against the First Amendment if you read this highly misleading item by the New York Times:

… when does passion cross the line to madness, fanaticism or worse?

One can argue with the appeal of a TV chat show like “Fox Football Fone-In” on the Fox Soccer Channel, but what is hard to argue with is the right of one of the co-hosts, Steven Cohen, to state an opinion without becoming the victim of opprobrium, ugly scorn, death threats and vitriolic taunts.

But it is not at all clear that Liverpool fans did send such threats to Cohen. BNET readers know I am a Liverpool fan. I’ve asked around the LFC New York supporters club about these threats, and (predictably) come up with nothing. If you read Liverpool fan blogs, there aren’t any anti-semitic messages on them. The supporters I know are genuinely baffled at Cohen’s allegations. And, as I mentioned on Monday, Israel captain Yossi Benayoun is key to Liverpool’s hopes this season — so to be an anti-semite LFC fan is currently a contradiction in terms.

Regardless, it was not threats that pushed Cohen off the air. It was the loss of his advertiser base. Had brands such as Heineken merely shrugged at what Cohen was saying, the emails he received would have made no difference. But the advertisers sided with the fans.

This is a key issue, because it is important to understand that Cohen did not lose his jobs because of some angry emails, he lost them because his market — advertisers — concluded he had stepped beyond the pale.

Why would advertisers reach that conclusion? (Interestingly, they’ve reached the same conclusion regarding Glenn Beck’s claim on Fox News Channel that President Obama is a “racist.”)

The answer is that Cohen’s opinion on Hillsborough — that Liverpool fans share responsibility for 96 deaths at the stadium — is similar to Beck’s. It’s wrong: Not in the sense that I merely disagree with it, but in the sense that it’s at odds with reality. In many ways, Cohen lost his shows the same way any broadcaster would do if, say, they had continued to insist that Sept. 11 was a conspiracy organized by President Bush. At some point, advertisers take note of the fact that the audience they seek is being antagonized by the mistaken host — and the money leaves.

The curious thing about the Cohen case is that he could have gotten away with it. If he had only passed his opinion once, then the Liverpool fans would have had difficulty drawing support for their cause. No one would care. But Cohen went back to the subject again and again, alternately apologizing and then repeating the remarks that he knew upset the listeners who wanted him gone. He even repeated his opinion (for which he had previously apologized and retracted) the day he signed off his radio show.

Cohen remains free to tout the fiction that 96 people were killed by their thoughtless friends 20 years ago, on blogs, in email, just like anyone else. But basing your brand on opinions that are flat wrong and deliberately antagonistic to your audience will always fail as commercial proposition for advertisers.

That’s what happened here: Not censorship, but bad business strategy.

http://industry.bnet.com/advertising/10003662/autopsy-steven-cohen-and-the-ad-boycott-that-ended-his-career/
      « Last Edit: Aug 26, 2009 12:55:17 pm by JD »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Re: Article: Autopsy: Steven Cohen and the Ad boycott that ended his career
      Reply #1: Aug 26, 2009 12:35:58 pm
      Good piece that mate.

The funny thing about this situation is Steven Cohen banged on about receiving anti-semite hate-mail, as has supporters of his WSD radio show. What none of them have failed to mention is why dioes Cohen choose to support Chelsea, when their supporters regularly sing anti-semite songs and chants towards Spurs supporters whenever the two sides play each other.

Obviously his gobs***e audience wouldn't understand this, but I just wish someone would have asked that F***ing nobhead the question.

I also love the way a simple boycott has been twisted into censorship against free speech, biggest load of sh*te I've ever heard. Maybe they should rename the U.S. as the Home Of The Shithouse, rather than the brave. I mean couldn't we here in Britain be described as living in a free democratic society?

Anyway, Cohen has at least learnt one lesson, never F**k with Liverpool.

And for those Liverpool supporters who were against the boycott, they should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves!

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #2: Aug 26, 2009 12:41:53 pm
      F***ing love it how they use the anti-semetic card in the usa.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #3: Aug 26, 2009 06:08:43 pm
      Exactly what HR said. Blow against free speech? F**k off. And F**k off Cohen too. c**t.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #4: Aug 27, 2009 10:15:37 am
      Great read and i'm glad that Cohen c**t is gone. He was spouting sh*t as he was about to be booted and then even restated his feelings as he was 'apologising'.

On your bike you tw*t.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #5: Aug 27, 2009 10:18:05 am
      Just makes him all the more pathetic that he tries to play the anti-semitic card.

Ignorant shitbag trying to play the victim. ::) Poor Mr Cohen, big F***ing baby.

Do one Steve.

Quick Reply