Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Where does Benitez rank?

Read 1582 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Where does Benitez rank?
      Apr 05, 2007 01:22:28 am
      Compared to our other managers in history.

I would have to put him above Dalglish who inherited a championship winning side, and to some extent, failed to renew it with youngsters.

Is he better than the Fagan for instance?

1. Shankly
      2. Paisley
      3. Benitez
      4. Dalglish
      5. Fagan
      6. Houllier
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Where does Benitez rank?
      Reply #1: Apr 05, 2007 01:56:18 am
      OOSH! Very interesting topic!

If Benitez "makes" a championship winning side very soon, then he deserves to be up there under Paisley straight away!!! At the moment though, King Kenny just nips in front for me. And I emphasise "at the moment"!!

Don't forget though. King Kenny had Paisley in his ear every now and again saying "and der...you know that player...". So does that affect things??
      batman0077
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 564 posts |
      Reply #2: Apr 05, 2007 02:09:54 am
      very, very interesting topic JD. i never watched any of the former managers do their job, so i can' t say much.  i think he is a tremendous manager. he's led us to the FA cup and our champions league title. he's very talented man.
      Paolo
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #3: Apr 05, 2007 08:33:16 am
      I think you can give your sentences about Rafa's works only at the end of his permanence in Anfield?
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #4: Apr 05, 2007 09:27:57 am
      I think you can give your sentences about Rafa's works only at the end of his permanence in Anfield?

I agree Paolo, Rafa has had a brilliant couple of seasons and things are moving the right way but I feel its a bit early to be putting him in the hall of greatness yet. I would have him just above Houllier in my list at the moment but iam confident he will climb higher but remember before everyone rushes to stick him up at the top he is about to get something four of those managers never got to take us to the next level, a lot of money!, lets hope he spends it wisely.
      I would also put Paisley above Shankly in my list as the question is about managers, Shanks built a dynasty put heart and soul into the club and built the foundations for us to go on to greatness but for me Paisley is the better team manager going on transfers,results and competitions won. I agree that Paisley wouldn't have done any of this if Shankly hadn't of set the club up but iam going on a purely team basis.
      « Last Edit: Apr 05, 2007 09:30:00 am by Glenbuck »
      Cy
      Reply #5: Apr 05, 2007 09:52:30 am
      I agrre with paolo and Glenbuck, RAFA is doing great but only after 5 years or more we will have a more better view of the man to stating comparing with the greatest. I'll also put him above Houllier, RAFA is real brain concerning tactics and his passion for the club cannot be challenged. A very good point Glenbuck make saying that RAFA will have what no-one had before and it's money to spent, I'm sure he will used it wisely

Shankly Paisley..for me they will always be number 1 together, these guys are Legends, Heroes...
      KopQueen
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 526 posts |
      Reply #6: Apr 05, 2007 01:55:34 pm
      I think it's too early to Rank Benitez, I'd say after another 5 years (if he stays that long) let's see then.  At the minute he ain't doing too badly.
      scallyon
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts |
      Reply #7: Apr 07, 2007 08:30:23 pm
      Rafa is undeniably a good manager but my top 5
      1 SHANKLY(he kicked it all off)

2 PAISLEY (continued the smooth running of the red machine)

3 FAGAN (gave it his all)

4 DAGLISH(great inspiration to the lads)

5 BENITEZ (master tactician)
      gerrard8
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 100 posts |
      Reply #8: Apr 08, 2007 10:43:58 pm
      interestin topic but i agree to early to decide

Quick Reply