Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Arsene Wenger

Read 13484 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Re: Arsene Wenger
      Reply #92: May 16, 2011 10:31:17 pm
      Did he not sign Anelka at the same time as Petit and Overmars ?, can sort of remember the back page on the paper when he unveiled their signings and I'm sure there was 3, can remember seeing Overmars and thinking oh sh*t he is quality.

I think they were all signed in his first season but not sure if they all arrived together.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #93: May 16, 2011 10:33:27 pm
      Just had a look there it was Overmars, Petit and Grimandi, Anelka joined the same year in February.

1997/98 season 14 years ago..... no wonder my memory was was vague.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #94: May 16, 2011 10:40:29 pm
      Just had a look there it was Overmars, Petit and Grimandi, Anelka joined the same year in February.

1997/98 season 14 years ago..... no wonder my memory was was vague.

Just shows though that he can pick a player and will be interesting to see if he properly addresses the weaknesses in the squad during the summer or stubbornly stick with what he has got.

Personally I've said on here before he gets a very easy ride as most other managers of a club like Arsenal would be getting slaughtered after going 6 years without a trophy.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #95: May 16, 2011 10:48:15 pm
      Yeh he does get an easy ride, but he's at a crunch point now the media have no Rafa to continually beat down and given that Arsenal got booed off the pitch Sunday, they will be sat sharpening their pens, the only other two foreign managers I could see getting stick are Mancini and Ancelloti, but that's more to do with their resources than the time they have been in the job, so I think they will get a few more seasons grace, so the witch hunt on Wenger could start very soon.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #96: May 17, 2011 11:55:45 am
      I've been looking for the article and cannot find it now  :f_steam:

He also inherited a pretty strong back four he inherited which, as is clear this season, has never been replaced.  For me, I think the telling thing is they haven't won anything since Viera left, and even then he was finding it hard to finish games.

Certainly do remember the Petit, Viera and Overmars signings, but that was probably, relatively speaking, the last time Wenger really splashed out on three top players.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #97: May 17, 2011 12:22:23 pm
      I've been looking for the article and cannot find it now  :f_steam:

He also inherited a pretty strong back four he inherited which, as is clear this season, has never been replaced.  For me, I think the telling thing is they haven't won anything since Viera left, and even then he was finding it hard to finish games.

Certainly do remember the Petit, Viera and Overmars signings, but that was probably, relatively speaking, the last time Wenger really splashed out on three top players.

He inherited Seaman, Bould Adams, Dixon, Winterburn, and Keown if I remember rightly, think he signed Viera in his first season at Arsenal, then the likes of Petit Overmars and Grimandi et all followed.

I wouldn't say it was the last time he splashed the cash either, he did buy players such as Henry Pires etc.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #98: May 17, 2011 07:39:55 pm
      15 years at the job.

I doubt one more year will do much to overwrite the past 6. He's overrated. Watching them against Villa was like a glorified Man City match. They just pass to each other in a quick and fancy manner but if their main man isn't in space and firing (Van Persie) then they do sh*t (as Tevez does with City).

Glad he's staying though. One less rival for a trophy to worry about in our new era.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #99: May 21, 2011 12:22:33 am
      To be honest I think if Wenger makes the right signings this summer they could be genuine contenders they aren't a million miles away, depends on how stubborn he is really.
      rocky299
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts |
      Reply #100: May 22, 2011 06:10:24 am
      hes to fecking tight how long have they needed a keeper centre half and a patrick viera double for
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #101: May 22, 2011 02:57:05 pm
      hes to fecking tight how long have they needed a keeper centre half and a patrick viera double for

The young Polish keeper they've got looks alright though!
      rocky299
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts |
      Reply #102: May 22, 2011 03:52:25 pm
      yes the goalie now looks ok but how many howlers and points lost over the last few years he really has to spend big else his top players will leave fabregas looks totally lost at the moment.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #103: May 22, 2011 08:33:57 pm
      yes the goalie now looks ok but how many howlers and points lost over the last few years he really has to spend big else his top players will leave fabregas looks totally lost at the moment.

Not that arsed, because I F***ing hate the cockney shitehawks.

Fabregas will be off in the summer as well.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #104: May 23, 2011 05:50:04 am
      Not that arsed, because I f**king hate the cockney shitehawks.

Fabregas will be off in the summer as well.

Was in Spain for the F1 did not even attend the match.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #105: May 23, 2011 12:37:12 pm
      Arsenal fans must be in pieces after finishing 4th.  This was the season Wenger said, Arsenal would come of age. 

I'm not so sure they have money for big signings, which would be good news for us.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #106: May 23, 2011 12:41:16 pm
      Boy do they need to sign players. They need a GK, CB, RB, Winger and a Striker. At the end of the day, they play lovely football but not always with results. I can't deny Wenger is a decent manager but I can't stand him. He does my head in!  :action-smiley-060:
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #107: May 23, 2011 01:52:41 pm
      Did anyone see wengers aftermatch interveiw?F***ing hell he looked haggered and bleeding ancient like he,s aged twenty years.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #108: May 23, 2011 02:36:15 pm
      Boy do they need to sign players. They need a GK, CB, RB, Winger and a Striker. At the end of the day, they play lovely football but not always with results. I can't deny Wenger is a decent manager but I can't stand him. He does my head in!  :action-smiley-060:

Not sure about right back, Bacaray Sagna was voted best RB of the season.

Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #109: May 23, 2011 07:28:19 pm
      Not sure about right back, Bacaray Sagna was voted best RB of the season.

But this is one of Arsenals problems. If one player gets injured, they don't have a player to bring in and replace them.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #110: May 24, 2011 01:40:29 am
      Yeah they do. Emmanuel Eboue! The one they loved to hate, then loved, then hated again in the space of 12 months.
      rocky299
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts |
      Reply #111: May 24, 2011 06:46:38 pm
      yes but least all the directors wives were seen in new mink coats and prada handbags?

Quick Reply