Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

AFL Finals 2009

Read 22201 times
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Re: AFL Finals 2009
      Reply #115: Sep 24, 2009 12:04:15 pm
      Question for all Aussies: How is the irish lad Marty Clarke getting on at Collingwood? I have watched a few of his matches and to me he has been playing well but how do the Aussies rate him?
      He played twelve games this season and then got injured mid season and didn't back in the side. I haven't seen really seen him play too much as the Pies matches aren't on over here every week but from what I've seen he looks to be a very promising player.

Speaking of irish lads now that Tadgh (Spelling?) Kennelly won the cup in the Gaelic football (I think that's what it's called) does anyone know if he'll be returning to the AFL?
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #116: Sep 24, 2009 12:09:07 pm
      He played twelve games this season and then got injured mid season and didn't back in the side. I haven't seen really seen him play too much as the Pies matches aren't on over here every week but from what I've seen he looks to be a very promising player.

Speaking of irish lads now that Tadgh (Spelling?) Kennelly won the cup in the Gaelic football (I think that's what it's called) does anyone know if he'll be returning to the AFL?

Close enough with the spelling. Read somewere this morning that he is staying in Ireland. I will try and get the source for you and post it up.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #117: Sep 24, 2009 12:12:23 pm
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #118: Sep 24, 2009 12:17:30 pm
      Thanks for that, I go for the Western Bulldogs. It's a blow for the Swans that he's not returning they've already lost a lot of good players and will seriously struggle next year.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #119: Sep 24, 2009 12:21:01 pm
      Reports on the AFL Footy Classified was that Kennelly is coming back?
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #120: Sep 24, 2009 12:37:31 pm
      Not sure how reliable this is but this is an Aussie website saying the same thing:

http://www.contestedfooty.com/2009/09/no-swan-song-for-kennelly.html
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #121: Sep 24, 2009 12:40:54 pm
      Not sure how reliable this is but this is an Aussie website saying the same thing:

http://www.contestedfooty.com/2009/09/no-swan-song-for-kennelly.html
      This is on that same site

http://www.contestedfooty.com/2009/09/collingwoods-martin-clarke-to-return.html

So much for him being a good prospect.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      Reply #122: Sep 24, 2009 01:26:22 pm

Didn't see that. Cheers Dmasta
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #123: Sep 26, 2009 07:38:48 am
      Anyone watching this? Listining to it over the internet here in the states, couldn't find anywhere to watch it :( Ripper of a game at the moment! Personally going for the Saints, basically because my manc supporting mate is a Geelong fan :D And just think they had a top year, deserve it. 3 quarter time now, gonna be a big last one!
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #124: Sep 26, 2009 08:18:20 am
      Well bloody hell, what a cracker. Full kudo's to Geelong they were there to take that game because the Saints threw that away, but we know that happens in all sports if you don't take your opportunities then thats what happens. As the boys on Triple M radio said champs know how to take opportunities and thats what the Cats did. Won't be surprised to see the Saints up there again next season
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,689 posts | 6691 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #125: Sep 27, 2009 05:12:51 am
      Fantastic game of AFL footy...you pity the loser in a match like that but I was going for the Cats as I know too many cocky St Kilda cu*ts.  ;D
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #126: Sep 27, 2009 10:41:02 am
      Gutted I slept in and missed this.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #127: Sep 30, 2009 03:50:08 pm
      Anyone else see this?

Brendan Fevola for sale, but nobody wants to buy

HAVING finally summoned the wherewithal to part with Brendan Fevola, Carlton may not be able to do so for a lack of interest in the wayward full-forward, with clubs high and low on the ladder distancing themselves from the Coleman medallist last night.

Be it the incompatibility of a club in a rebuilding phase recruiting a player who will be 29 in January, salary cap constraints for those in contention who could not accommodate his $700,000 a season contract or a general wariness of his troubled past, there was little encouragement for Fevola or Carlton to believe that he will find a new home when the AFL's trade period opens next week.

The Western Bulldogs, an obvious destination given their well-documented need for a key forward, cut themselves out of the picture last night to concentrate on sealing a deal for former Sydney full-forward Barry Hall.

"No. Our focus is Barry Hall. He's committed to us and we're committed to him," Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade said.

Sydney coach Paul Roos offered similar sentiments. The Swans are losing Hall but have the rapidly improving Jesse White coming through and Roos said he wasn't keen to get involved.

"No. We don't want to waste Carlton's time. We don't want to get involved in something we can't complete," he said.

"We've said all along that we want to keep our first picks. So we'll concentrate on the deals we're already exploring."

At Collingwood, a club said to be of interest to Fevola, there is understood to be strong resistance within the football department to the idea of recruiting "Fev", who nonetheless shares a friendship with Collingwood president Eddie McGuire.

The Magpies went through a tumultuous time with Chris Tarrant, who they traded to Fremantle three years ago, and the determination to establish a new discipline at the Lexus Centre was on show again last year when stars Alan Didak and Heath Shaw were suspended for the last six weeks of the season and Rhyce Shaw was traded to Sydney.

Of the other contenders, Geelong has a critical salary cap issue that may yet see the Cats forced into shedding premiership players to solve its problem. St Kilda has a similar quandary and other areas of its game to improve first given the presence of Nick Riewoldt and Justin Koschitzke in the key forward posts.

The Bulldogs, too, are understood to be in a tight salary cap position, with just enough money to spend $300,000 on Hall after setting aside as much as $470,000 per season in an attempt to retain full-back Brian Lake.

Veteran half-forward Jason Akermanis can only be accommodated if he is prepared to accept a pay cut of more than 50 per cent and play next year for approximately $200,000.

The presence of Lance Franklin and Jarryd Roughead in attack, coupled with a commitment to acquire Shaun Burgoyne and Josh Gibson next week, has Hawthorn out of the Fevola market while at the bottom end, clubs such as Melbourne and Richmond are in phases that do not appear to suit either party.

In a statement released by Fevola yesterday, after he had been informed of Carlton's decision to try to trade him out, the full-forward said: "...I will welcome the opportunity to join a new club and look forward to pursuing the dream of an AFL premiership."

By their own admission, the Demons and Tigers, not to mention Fremantle and North Melbourne, are unlikely to be in any sort of "premiership" contention for a number of years.

Melbourne list manager Tim Harrington said that the Demons would not be entertaining the thought of recruiting Fevola.

"Our strategy is to build a young, outstanding group that can come through together. The club is committed to this path and won't be deviating from it," Harrington said.
      The Blues issued a brief statement themselves late yesterday afternoon which confirmed their decision but did not outline what they expect or can even hope to get in exchange for Fevola, who is contracted for two more years for at least $1.4million.

Carlton sources were indicating last night, though, that if they are able to unload Fevola they will explore suggestions that Brisbane Lions forward Daniel Bradshaw has an interest in playing out his days in Victoria. "The Carlton Football Club has advised Brendan Fevola and his management that it will be working to secure a trade that will see Brendan join another club during next week's AFL exchange period," the statement read.

In a market of few, if any buyers, the Blues are aware of the possibility that they may have to reconcile with the man who embarrassed the club and the game so deeply with his drunken antics at last week's Brownlow Medal count.

Fevola said as much in his own statement, which was released from Queensland where he is on holiday with his wife and children.

"If this is to be the end of my time at Carlton, I want to thank the Blues fans for their magnificent support over 11 years," Fevola said, clearly suggesting that it is possible he will remain at Princes Park.

"You've meant more to me than I perhaps realised - until now. Also, I want to extend my best wishes to Brett Ratten, Chris Judd and the Carlton players, and thank them for their friendship and assistance.

"I will await with interest the outcome of trade week and will focus solely on the challenges and opportunities ahead.

"I am committed not just to being the very best player I can be but also to rectifying off-field issues. I acknowledge that this is largely of my own doing, I remain remorseful for the events of the past 10 days and once again apologise to those people I have let down - especially family and friends."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,26148266-2722,00.html

If they do manage to trade him I could see him at the Crows next season either that or he'll sign for the new Gold Coast team.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,689 posts | 6691 
      Reply #128: Oct 01, 2009 05:47:58 am
      F**k, I'll be disgusted if we traded him. I know his off field antics are tiresome and embarrassing but what he does when he steps across that white line is pure genius and if we did trade him, any ground we've made up in being consistent finals contenders will be wiped away and will set us back another 5 years.

bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #129: Oct 01, 2009 05:56:03 am
      I would be shattered for you AussieRed, im having to deal with the whole Shaun Burgoyne thing as a Port fan at the moment, it just aint fun. And you are right, the blues will really take a step back losing him. Be like us losing Torres, there is just no one to fill the void.
      If this happens though, can see him at the crows which would suck, i hate the crows. But, they have talked about having him before so yeah :(
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,689 posts | 6691 
      Reply #130: Oct 01, 2009 09:07:35 am
      I would be shattered for you AussieRed, im having to deal with the whole Shaun Burgoyne thing as a Port fan at the moment, it just aint fun. And you are right, the blues will really take a step back losing him. Be like us losing Torres, there is just no one to fill the void.
      If this happens though, can see him at the crows which would suck, I hate the crows. But, they have talked about having him before so yeah :(

Thanks mate. I'll be gutted for you, to see Burgoyne in a Brown and Gold jumper next year., just won't look right will it.

If and it's a big IF, Fev does go to Adelaide, It would have to involve some deal and I'd really like Kurt Tippett to come this way. He's a big lad who can take a grab and kick goals...so he's be first on my list and we'd need another player of theirs as well...not sure who, maybe Bernie Vince. I'd take those 2 if we were to lose Fev to them...fair deal me thinks  :P
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #131: Oct 03, 2009 01:31:26 am

Thanks mate. I'll be gutted for you, to see Burgoyne in a Brown and Gold jumper next year., just won't look right will it.

If and it's a big IF, Fev does go to Adelaide, It would have to involve some deal and I'd really like Kurt Tippett to come this way. He's a big lad who can take a grab and kick goals...so he's be first on my list and we'd need another player of theirs as well...not sure who, maybe Bernie Vince. I'd take those 2 if we were to lose Fev to them...fair deal me thinks  :P

No, won't be right at all. We have had Burgoyne's since the club started. Now with Peter in retirement and Shaun off, gonna be a hole in the squad in a way.

Tippet is a real promising lad, and he would be one to grab. Think he may have signed a new deal with the Crows though..? And Vince just won their Best and Fairest so you would be doing a great deal nabbing him!
      Any news lately on the Fev saga?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,689 posts | 6691 
      Reply #132: Oct 03, 2009 02:27:29 am
      No, won't be right at all. We have had Burgoyne's since the club started. Now with Peter in retirement and Shaun off, gonna be a hole in the squad in a way.

Tippet is a real promising lad, and he would be one to grab. Think he may have signed a new deal with the Crows though..? And Vince just won their Best and Fairest so you would be doing a great deal nabbing him!
      Any news lately on the Fev saga?

Yeah Tippett just signed a new 3 year deal and Vince one B & F so NO DEAL.

No news on Fev mate at the moment although Collingwood are now sniffing. I'd kill him myself if he ever went there.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #133: Oct 03, 2009 02:30:03 am
      It's funny how the Pies always seem to have enough money left over in the salary cap to get all these players it was only a year or so they were offering Jonathan Brown 1 mil a year to go play for them. ::)
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,689 posts | 6691 
      Reply #134: Oct 03, 2009 02:31:41 am
      It's that dirty b***ard Eddie  ;)
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #135: Oct 03, 2009 02:44:27 am
      Yeah, anyone else goes a cent over the cap they get fu**ed over ::) Aussie would know all about that with Carlton those years ago!
      Yeah any player that i like goes to Collingwood i hate, at least happy that Burger has a bit more class. That's why i was pissed at Nick Stevens, left us wanting Collingwood. Glad you boys got him instead!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,689 posts | 6691 
      Reply #136: Oct 03, 2009 02:52:41 am
      Yeah, anyone else goes a cent over the cap they get fu**ed over ::) Aussie would know all about that with Carlton those years ago!
      Yeah any player that I like goes to Collingwood I hate, at least happy that Burger has a bit more class. That's why I was pissed at Nick Stevens, left us wanting Collingwood. Glad you boys got him instead!

Me too mate, although they reckon he might be forced to retire immediately due to recurring problem with his neck. Not good mate.

I sure know about salary cap breaches, lost out on Goddard and Wells because of it. Wells I'm not too fussed about but Goddard could have been our CHB.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #137: Oct 03, 2009 03:04:57 am
      Me too mate, although they reckon he might be forced to retire immediately due to recurring problem with his neck. Not good mate.

I sure know about salary cap breaches, lost out on Goddard and Wells because of it. Wells I'm not too fussed about but Goddard could have been our CHB.

Yeah don't need a West Coke Eagle to deal with :D Yeah? Aint heard bout that, be a big loss. Always been a quality player. Hated him for awhile when he left but he has had a good career. Should have stayed one more year for the premiership though :D
      Goddard woulda been a big boost!

Quick Reply