Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

NFL & College Football

Read 245410 times
      Kopite78
      Re: NFL & College Football
      Reply #2116: Apr 16, 2020 09:47:10 am
      Watched all them over the last year or so when I've had Prime.

I like them but an even better watch is Last Chance U on Netflix mate.

Follows the young players at Junior College level and what is usually their 'last chance'.

Cheers Si

I'll give that a go too
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,322 posts | 6380 
      Reply #2117: Apr 16, 2020 11:48:16 am
      I'm missing sport that much I've been watching these as something to get interested in..
      Watched the one on the Cards (warmed to them as a group) and the one on the Rams (didn't warm to them as a group at all really)
      Just started the one on the Cowboys.. jesus the owner has thrown some money at them in terms of infrastructure

Yea the owner is a bit of a character. He will certainly invest to win but his ego is such that he often times gets in the way because he wants the glory for himself (of which thereā€™s not been much since ā€˜95. Think Chelseaā€™s owner.

As a sport it seems much less stable for the players - could be reading it wrong - but they never seem to know where they are going to be one season to the next and unattached players just picked up for a few games and dropped again.
      Is there always a big turnover in players each year?
      Yea youā€™ve got it right. Much more power (for the most part) in the hands of the owners and General Managers. The players have ways they can apply leverage but in general there is much more movement. Thereā€™s a salary cap though so no one team can snap up all of the best players.

Can you give me an idiots guide to the draft? How many new players are picked up in the draft each year?

How many picks a team has varies (they can trade picks to other teams) but typically teams would get a pick in each round and then they often have a couple more again depending on the previous year. Most often though, most meaningful players are picked in rounds 1-4. Not often do good players come after round 4.

Is it for new players coming out of college only?
      Pretty much, players that have eligibility but have never been drafted. So mainly college players or in some instances players that come from other countries/sports, but that doesnā€™t happen that often.

Players that are at teams how do they move? Is there no transfers like in our football? For money I mean? Are they just released or traded with other players?

Players move in one of three ways, they are traded which is kind of like a transfer in footie, they are released and can then be signed by any team, or they are free agents (or restricted free agents) which means they have played out their contract and are available for anyone to sign. Restricted free agents can be offered a contract by another team but their current team can match it if they like to keep them.
      Kopite78
      Reply #2118: Apr 16, 2020 06:24:13 pm
      Yea the owner is a bit of a character. He will certainly invest to win but his ego is such that he often times gets in the way because he wants the glory for himself (of which thereā€™s not been much since ā€˜95. Think Chelseaā€™s owner.
      Yea youā€™ve got it right. Much more power (for the most part) in the hands of the owners and General Managers. The players have ways they can apply leverage but in general there is much more movement. Thereā€™s a salary cap though so no one team can snap up all of the best players.

How many picks a team has varies (they can trade picks to other teams) but typically teams would get a pick in each round and then they often have a couple more again depending on the previous year. Most often though, most meaningful players are picked in rounds 1-4. Not often do good players come after round 4.
      Pretty much, players that have eligibility but have never been drafted. So mainly college players or in some instances players that come from other countries/sports, but that doesnā€™t happen that often.

Players move in one of three ways, they are traded which is kind of like a transfer in footie, they are released and can then be signed by any team, or they are free agents (or restricted free agents) which means they have played out their contract and are available for anyone to sign. Restricted free agents can be offered a contract by another team but their current team can match it if they like to keep them.

Nice one mate..

Can I ask your overview on a few teams?

Philadelphia eagles
      New York Giants
      NY Jets
      New England Patriots 
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,322 posts | 6380 
      Reply #2119: Apr 16, 2020 06:30:42 pm
      Nice one mate..

Can I ask your overview on a few teams?

Philadelphia eagles
      New York Giants
      NY Jets
      New England Patriots 
      Eagles and Giants I hate with a passion because they are in the same conference as the Cowboys. They are arch rivals. Think Liverpool, United and Everton. Iā€™ll never say anything positive about either team and especially when it comes to the Eagles, their fan base is one of the worst in the league. Really despicable people a lot of them.

Jets Iā€™m indifferent about, they havenā€™t had much success for a long time, they arenā€™t often challenging for anything.

Patriots I would compare to United or City. Probably more United; team with a lot of success in recent and generally most people donā€™t like them because of all of the glory hunting fans. This will likely change since Brady is now playing in Tampa. Going to be interesting to see if their coach (Belichick) can keep them successful or if they fade into obscurity. Their owner is a bit of a tw*t too (most in the league are).
      Kopite78
      Reply #2120: Apr 16, 2020 06:37:41 pm
      Eagles and Giants I hate with a passion because they are in the same conference as the Cowboys. They are arch rivals. Think Liverpool, United and Everton. Iā€™ll never say anything positive about either team and especially when it comes to the Eagles, their fan base is one of the worst in the league. Really despicable people a lot of them.

Jets Iā€™m indifferent about, they havenā€™t had much success for a long time, they arenā€™t often challenging for anything.

Patriots I would compare to United or City. Probably more United; team with a lot of success in recent and generally most people donā€™t like them because of all of the glory hunting fans. This will likely change since Brady is now playing in Tampa. Going to be interesting to see if their coach (Belichick) can keep them successful or if they fade into obscurity. Their owner is a bit of a tw*t too (most in the league are).

Cowboys seem a bit of a moneyed team as well though?

I'm trying to "pick" a team to try to get into.. was trying to pick someone where I go to in the states fairly often so I could watch them if I get into it

Who would you suggest? Beyond the cowboys (your team obviously and youd back them I get but I cant see a time I go to Dallas)

What team is the closest type to Liverpool?
      « Last Edit: Apr 16, 2020 06:42:55 pm by Kopite78 »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #2121: Apr 16, 2020 06:50:30 pm

Didn't know you were a Cowboys fan FL.

That's my team and while I don't have your knowledge I've followed them since the 90's.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,322 posts | 6380 
      Reply #2122: Apr 16, 2020 06:50:53 pm
      Cowboys seem a bit of a moneyed team as well though?

I'm trying to "pick" a team to try to get into.. was trying to pick someone where I go to in the states fairly often so I could watch them if I get into it

Who would you suggest? Beyond the cowboys (your team obviously and youd back them I get but I cant see a time I go to Dallas)

Pretty much all the teams are pretty rich, because of the salary cap none can buy championships anymore. But yea Cowboys are traditionally another team a lot of folks love to hate. Theyā€™ve always portrayed themselves as Americaā€™s Team. One of the things about them, they get a lot of TV exposure so you can often catch their games on TV.

If I were to pick a team that was similar to Liverpool, socially maybe a team like the Seattle Seahawks, but historically, Iā€™d say the Pittsburgh Steelers (as much as it pains me to say it, another long time rival of the Cowboys) probably would be a good comparison. Working class type city and the team has always been viewed as that type of team as well.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #2123: Apr 16, 2020 06:52:54 pm

For me I'd say Green Bay Packers mate.

Old traditional team, history and a passionate fanbase.

Interesting to hear what FL would think?
      Kopite78
      Reply #2124: Apr 16, 2020 06:55:56 pm
      Pretty much all the teams are pretty rich, because of the salary cap none can buy championships anymore. But yea Cowboys are traditionally another team a lot of folks love to hate. Theyā€™ve always portrayed themselves as Americaā€™s Team. One of the things about them, they get a lot of TV exposure so you can often catch their games on TV.

If I were to pick a team that was similar to Liverpool, socially maybe a team like the Seattle Seahawks, but historically, Iā€™d say the Pittsburgh Steelers (as much as it pains me to say it, another long time rival of the Cowboys) probably would be a good comparison. Working class type city and the team has always been viewed as that type of team as well.

Sound

I'll look into those two and see which one appeals the most.

Out of interest what about Baltimore or Atlanta ?

Packers like Si says?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #2125: Apr 16, 2020 07:12:43 pm

Great shout on the Seahawks and Steelers.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #2126: Apr 16, 2020 07:18:53 pm
      i think the Packers are the only nfl team fan owned,which is a plus.Negative it's in wisconsin.If y'all actually wanna see a game without paying thru ya nose,one of the florida teams? Because there are so few games most sell out so the secondary ticket market is king. If The Pats aren't on telly,i like to watch the Steelers.Then just go with whoever the hot players are.Atlanta owner does seem to give more of a crap for the fans,keeps food prices down.Although it's a big seller i've not seen a TB/TB jersey yet up here,i'm sure i will when people start being a bit more social.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,322 posts | 6380 
      Reply #2127: Apr 16, 2020 08:40:24 pm
      Sound

I'll look into those two and see which one appeals the most.

Out of interest what about Baltimore or Atlanta ?

Packers like Si says?

Packers are like NFL royalty. The only team in the league that is publicly owned I believe. Baltimore and Falcons would both be ā€œmehā€ for me.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #2128: Apr 16, 2020 08:52:19 pm
      Packers are like NFL royalty. The only team in the league that is publicly owned I believe. Baltimore and Falcons would both be ā€œmehā€ for me.

What got you into the Cowboys FL?

For me I started watching NFL as a teenager in the 90's and Dallas caught my eye and was a huge Emmitt Smith fan.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,322 posts | 6380 
      Reply #2129: Apr 16, 2020 10:34:09 pm
      What got you into the Cowboys FL?

For me I started watching NFL as a teenager in the 90's and Dallas caught my eye and was a huge Emmitt Smith fan.

Itā€™s weird. I grew up in Ohio and the closest team to me was actually Pittsburgh (over an hour and a half away). And at the time (late 70ā€™s and early 80ā€™s) the two teams that you always saw on TV were the Cowboys and Steelers. Most people around me were Steelers fans and I was so over them so I started rooting for the Cowboys to be contrary. That was it. Been a fan ever since. The 90ā€™s with Emmitt and Troy and Irvin were the glory years for me, but itā€™s been a long drought since then. Their success is actually similar to LFC but LFC is gonna actually end their title drought where I donā€™t think the Cowboys are yet.
      Kopite78
      Reply #2130: Apr 19, 2020 06:50:56 pm
      I'm getting into this a bit but F**k for what I presumed even before watching it that i thought was a tough as F**k sport it's full of fannys

Crying in front of the press, constantly telling each other they love each other

Who'd have ever thought it
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #2131: Apr 21, 2020 10:34:20 pm
      Rumours Gronk to team up with brady for a 4th round pick,might actually pay attention to the draft this year starts thursday night.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #2132: Apr 22, 2020 09:24:42 am
      Rumours Gronk to team up with brady for a 4th round pick,might actually pay attention to the draft this year starts thursday night.

Interesting times for the Bucs next season.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #2133: Apr 22, 2020 04:22:27 pm
      I was gonna say it will get them a crowd bounce,average 50,000 odd last year but who knows with the virus.they haven't been decent in ages so.Talking of The Patriots going after this Tua lad as QB,good but injury prone.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #2134: Apr 24, 2020 05:00:39 pm
      Well i got as far as Harry what's his face starting to sing the national anthem and switched over to feckin Frasier reruns.So some dudes got picked to be millionaires.The Pats didn't pick anyone.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #2135: Apr 24, 2020 06:16:43 pm
      Well i got as far as Harry what's his face starting to sing the national anthem and switched over to feckin Frasier reruns.So some dudes got picked to be millionaires.The Pats didn't pick anyone.

Got a bit further. Clock started for Bengals pick and got fed up waiting on them picking the guy they were always going to pick.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,266 posts | 281 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #2136: Apr 24, 2020 09:21:30 pm
      Iā€™m a dolphins fan since the 80ā€™s and loved Dan Marino. So glad we have finally got a QB that they can build around.
      Kopite78
      Reply #2137: Apr 24, 2020 09:44:28 pm
      Iā€™m a dolphins fan since the 80ā€™s and loved Dan Marino.

He was great in ace Ventura
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,266 posts | 281 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #2138: Apr 25, 2020 08:55:36 am

Haha! Great actor as well as a QB eh  ;D

Quick Reply