Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

NFL & College Football

Read 242892 times
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      NFL & College Football
      Sep 04, 2009 06:52:50 am
      So having moved to the US over the European and American Summer, i have alot more access to the American sports i enjoy. Living in Eugene Oregon the big thing here as well as alot of the states is College Football. Local Team here is the Oregon Ducks who i have adopted, decent team from my research i have done, one of the best offenses out of all last season. So i thought i would start a thread for anyone with a remote interest to post.. I might be the only one, i do not know :D
      Also love watching the Patriots in the NFL, been following them the last few years. They start there season proper on the 14th after a good pre season where they went 3-1 and had a good win tonight against the New York Giants winning 38-27
      College Football season has started tonight, with my adopted team playing away to the Boise State Bronco's on their Smurf Blue turf, seriously their field is blue!
      Dissapointing, they lost 8-19. Offense was sh*te first half, only had 5:50 of offense time and gained a paltry 14 yards. Boise was somewhere well past into the 100's :(
      Second half wasn't much better, got a touch down but that was all. Made to many fumbles and mistakes. Boiled over at the end, kinda funny though. Boise players celebrating after the whistle, one of em mouthed off to a fiery Oregon lad and the Ducks boy landed a damn good right hook right to his chin, dropping him. He didn't stop there though, had to end up being dragged out by his teammates and security as he didn't take to some stick from the Boise fans very well and tried to get into them! Not a good start at all for the Ducks on and off the field, hopefully pick up next game. But will most likely be with out their resident boxer :f_tongueincheek:
      « Last Edit: Sep 01, 2010 05:06:45 am by crouchinho »
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Re: NFL & College Football 09/10
      Reply #1: Sep 07, 2009 12:04:46 am
      Glad im not the only only one on here who likes NFL,i having been following the Bears for 20 Long years now!!!looking forward to kick off next Sunday against the Packers.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #2: Sep 07, 2009 02:18:12 am
      Yeah mate once i worked out the rules i actually enjoy it, just the tactics behind it and all that. Looking forward to the Pats kick off on monday i think it is? Further on the ducks player, Laurent Blount, the guy who punched the Broncos lad. Suspended for all season! Puts his NFL aspirations at risk to as some are saying he is un-draftable.
      jonty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,640 posts | 36 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #3: Sep 07, 2009 02:20:47 am
      Have been following the NFL and the Pats for 4years now :)
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #4: Sep 07, 2009 10:13:03 pm
      Yeah mate once I worked out the rules I actually enjoy it, just the tactics behind it and all that. Looking forward to the Pats kick off on monday I think it is? Further on the ducks player, Laurent Blount, the guy who punched the Broncos lad. Suspended for all season! Puts his NFL aspirations at risk to as some are saying he is un-draftable.
      Yeah, you cant do that sh*t in College Ball. It sucks for him, especially being suspended for the year. He's probably going to lose his scholarship too. Kids entire career is over now, all for one punch.

I am American so its not much of a stretch for me to follow College Football. I follow 2 college teams. Ohio St. and Notre Dame.  It really sucks when they play eachother and I follow the Cleveland Browns. Which has given me more anxiety and depression than anyother team I follow. Their awful, but if and when they win the Superbowl I think I'll be vindicated.  I was born in Ohio so my football loyalties remain in Ohio.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #5: Sep 07, 2009 11:30:57 pm
      NEW YORK JETS for me every time.

Any where from 33-1 to 50-1 to win the Superbowl. Jets Jets Jets...Go Jets
      Followed them for 20 odd years now.

Have been following the NFL and the Pats for 4years now :)
      Glory Hunter! :lmao:

Fixtures Wk 1
      Thursday, 10 September 2009
      Pittsburgh Steelers v Tennessee Titans, 07:45
      Sunday, 13 September 2009
      Arizona Cardinals v San Francisco 49ers, 03:00
      Atlanta Falcons v Miami Dolphins, 03:00
      Baltimore Ravens v Kansas City Chiefs, 03:00
      Carolina Panthers v Philadelphia Eagles, 03:00
      Cincinnati Bengals v Denver Broncos, 03:00
      Cleveland Browns v Minnesota Vikings, 03:00
      Green Bay Packers v Chicago Bears, 03:00
      Houston Texans v New York Jets, 03:00
      Indianapolis Colts v Jacksonville Jaguars, 03:00
      New Orleans Saints v Detroit Lions, 03:00
      New York Giants v Washington Redskins, 03:00
      Seattle Seahawks v St Louis Rams, 03:00
      Tampa Bay Buccaneers v Dallas Cowboys, 03:00
      Monday, 14 September 2009
      New England Patriots v Buffalo Bills, 07:45
      Oakland Raiders v San Diego Chargers, 07:45
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #6: Sep 07, 2009 11:42:38 pm
      Yeah, you cant do that sh*t in College Ball. It sucks for him, especially being suspended for the year. He's probably going to lose his scholarship too. Kids entire career is over now, all for one punch.

I am American so its not much of a stretch for me to follow College Football. I follow 2 college teams. Ohio St. and Notre Dame.  It really sucks when they play eachother and I follow the Cleveland Browns. Which has given me more anxiety and depression than anyother team I follow. Their awful, but if and when they win the Superbowl I think I'll be vindicated.  I was born in Ohio so my football loyalties remain in Ohio.

He is being able to keep his scholarship for this year, and still train with the team and all that jazz, just can't play. Still a major blow, he was being talked as a Heismen candidate & top draft pick, but if he keeps the attitude then he doesn't deserve it anyways. Hopefully this will be a lesson and he can turn it around from here. Big blow for the Ducks to, but hopefully they can rebound from it.

I actually started following the Pats after they featured in an episode of Family Guy :D Heartbreaking '08 Superbowl though..
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #7: Sep 07, 2009 11:43:58 pm
      Used to love this sport, kinda miss it in some ways.

I was a Jets fan when into it too RedPuppy. Had the home jersey with Pennington and away with Moss on the back.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      Reply #8: Sep 09, 2009 04:32:38 am
      He is being able to keep his scholarship for this year, and still train with the team and all that jazz, just can't play. Still a major blow, he was being talked as a Heismen candidate & top draft pick, but if he keeps the attitude then he doesn't deserve it anyways. Hopefully this will be a lesson and he can turn it around from here. Big blow for the Ducks to, but hopefully they can rebound from it.

I actually started following the Pats after they featured in an episode of Family Guy :D Heartbreaking '08 Superbowl though..
      If he's a senior then he is truly fu**ed. Which me means he gets no invite to the combine and he probably cant enter the draft. It depends on the NCAA. If they Imposed the suspension then he really is fu**ed. If the team imposed the suspension. They may wait for the hyoe to die down and then play him midway into the season in hopes of landing a spot in the draft. If he redshirted he could play next season and hope he does good and moves up the draft board and has a good combine.

I wouldn't all the 07' season a heartbreaker. Yeah, they missed the unbeaten streak and lost the Superbowl, but  they did go 18-1. plus they have 6 AFC EAST Championships, 4 AFC Championships and 3 Superbowl Rings in 8 seasons..Not to mention they are 97 and 31 in those seasons. BOO HOO!!!!!  Cry me a river...I'm a Browns Fan. Come over here for a while if you want to feel a little sympathy. Last season should of been another SuperBowl. when Brady went down that was it. Their old, they lost a team leader in Teddy Bruschi,  that O'line might not be able to protect Brady. But, Brady is one of those guys who just amazes week in and week out. He just doesnt know how to lose. Down by 6 w/ 2:00 minutes to go, the Pats will win everytime...Too many weapons still. I give them 2 maybe 3 seasons for success maybe 2 AFC chanpionships and ! Superbowl. After that, its rebuilding time. Dynasties only last 10 years. Thats it, It started in 01' so times ticking.  The only problem for New England making another Superbowl....Pittsburgh.  I hate Pittsburgh. Being a Browns fan I have it wired into my DNA to hate Pittsburgh. But, Im a football fan and the Steelers are AWESOME. They were the Patriots of 5 seasons ago. They have it all.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #9: Sep 09, 2009 04:56:54 am
      Oh the season as a whole was fantastic, and i look back on it fondly it really just hurts to look back and think they were so close to that step to true legendary status.. but it was still fantastic, and i by no means take it for granted :D

I'm looking forward to living in the states now to get a full understanding of the sporting culture here though, should be fun. And i look forward to watching the Superbowl at the time you are meant to :D In Australia i have been taking the Monday off for the last few years to watch it live at 10am.. and yes, i drink during it to :D Beer's with breakfast, always loved the look i got from my mum :D
      KopiteJay
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      • The Thin Red Line
      Reply #10: Sep 09, 2009 03:38:39 pm

I am American so its not much of a stretch for me to follow College Football. I follow 2 college teams. Ohio St. and Notre Dame. 

How about Lou and our national championship this year? :) Easier schedule might get us at least to a decent bowl this year
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 188 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Reply #11: Oct 24, 2009 08:20:22 am
      Tamper Bay & New England are here,who's gonna win?
      jonty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,640 posts | 36 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #12: Oct 24, 2009 01:42:00 pm
      Tamper Bay & New England are here,who's gonna win?

N.E, I heard Brady is back.... ::)
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #13: Oct 24, 2009 08:39:30 pm
      Go the Patriots! Brady IS back, threw the all time record amount of TD passes in a quarter last week, that being 5.

C'mon the PAAATS!!!
      jonty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,640 posts | 36 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #14: Oct 24, 2009 08:40:53 pm
      Go the Patriots! Brady IS back, threw the all time record amount of TD passes in a quarter last week, that being 5.

C'mon the PAAATS!!!
      :nod:   :D
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #15: Oct 25, 2009 09:19:08 pm
      Comfortable win for the Pats, look forward to some highlights of some more Brady magic ;D
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #16: Oct 26, 2009 06:14:38 am
      Just to add a bit more to the Patriots love in here ;) Tom Brady, what a player. Love the man, and he is as cute as a button too :D Always had known he was a real long odds prospect when the Pats picked him at 199th in the draft. I mean 199th! That means supposedly there were 198 players in that draft better than a man now debated as one of the best Quarterbacks of all time. Even more amazing is apparntely in high school he was only the back up Quarterback for his team that lost almost every match. He only got into his college after a flattering highlights tape was compiled by his dad, and even then he was a few picks down in the order of starting Quarterbacks.
      Then, when the draft came around he was only picked at 199, with this report on him at the draft; "Poor build, very skinny and narrow. Will get pushed down more easily than you'd like. Lacks mobility and the ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm."
      When he was chosen, papers in Boston the next day said "The Patriots will win nothing with Brady"
      Well well well. 3 Superbowls later, then a year of 18 wins in a row that only ended in a heartbreaking loss at the attempt for a 4th Superbowl championship. In that season he also threw an all time record 50 TD passes. And then just last week broke the record for the most TD passes in a Quarter of football, throwing 5 in the 2nd on the way to driving the Pats to an all time record 45-0 half time lead.

What a story eh!
      jonty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,640 posts | 36 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #17: Oct 26, 2009 12:19:27 pm
       :f_doh:  Quality that
      Got him on the back of my Pats top ;)

YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      Reply #18: Oct 30, 2009 08:58:40 pm
      N.E, I heard Brady is back.... ::)
      OhYeah! Brady is back allright.  The first 3 games he had decent numbers. Nothing outstanding and certainly under achieving for Brady.  But now he is back on track.  If you throw 5 touchdowns in 1 quarter, then your doing good.  Thats almost unreal.  5 TD's in 1 quarter is like Gerrard scoring 5 goals in the first half.  Just a legendary performance.   But, thats Tom Brady.  Thats why he has 3 Superbowl Rings and 4 AFC Championships.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #19: Oct 30, 2009 09:37:46 pm
      OhYeah! Brady is back allright.  The first 3 games he had decent numbers. Nothing outstanding and certainly under achieving for Brady.  But now he is back on track.  If you throw 5 touchdowns in 1 quarter, then your doing good.  Thats almost unreal.  5 TD's in 1 quarter is like Gerrard scoring 5 goals in the first half.  Just a legendary performance.   But, thats Tom Brady.  Thats why he has 3 Superbowl Rings and 4 AFC Championships.

He is the reason i started following NFL and the Patriots. An absolute champion, and that story i wrote above somewhere of his journey to the NFL shows how much of a champion he is. So glad he is playing back to his old form again. Really hope we get one more Superbowl at least before his time is up, deserves it. If we hadn't come up against an inspired Giants in '08 we would have had it.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      Reply #20: Oct 30, 2009 11:30:24 pm
      He is the reason I started following NFL and the Patriots. An absolute champion, and that story I wrote above somewhere of his journey to the NFL shows how much of a champion he is. So glad he is playing back to his old form again. Really hope we get one more Superbowl at least before his time is up, deserves it. If we hadn't come up against an inspired Giants in '08 we would have had it.
      I'm not a big fan of the Pats but, I do like Brady.   High School he was an average QB at Michigan he was average. Never did much in College. Their were some glimpses.. He was slow and never showed greatness during the combine but, they did say he had a great arm and was a good leader on the field.  He was drafted at 199 to be a back-up.  He has no pocket presence and is horrible running out of the pocket.  But it doesn't matter because he can throw it a mile and put it into a coffee cup.

I've followed American Football my entire life, since 1976 when I saw my first game in Cleveland with my Dad.  He has one of the best arms I've ever seen. He NEVER throws a sh*t pass. If he throws an Incomplete pass its because the receiver dropped it. Like some others before him, when put into the position they just explode and this hidden talent comes out.  He reminded me of Kurt Warner. Just a nobody, who came right into the league and lit it up.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #21: Oct 31, 2009 10:05:17 am
      I'm not a big fan of the Pats but, I do like Brady.   High School he was an average QB at Michigan he was average. Never did much in College. Their were some glimpses.. He was slow and never showed greatness during the combine but, they did say he had a great arm and was a good leader on the field.  He was drafted at 199 to be a back-up.  He has no pocket presence and is horrible running out of the pocket.  But it doesn't matter because he can throw it a mile and put it into a coffee cup.

I've followed American Football my entire life, since 1976 when I saw my first game in Cleveland with my Dad.  He has one of the best arms I've ever seen. He NEVER throws a sh*t pass. If he throws an Incomplete pass its because the receiver dropped it. Like some others before him, when put into the position they just explode and this hidden talent comes out.  He reminded me of Kurt Warner. Just a nobody, who came right into the league and lit it up.

He has to be one of THE fairytale stories with that kind of story coming into the league right? Im aussie so my history knowledge of the NFL is limited, but that is a real underdog story if i ever heard one.
      jonty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,640 posts | 36 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #22: Oct 31, 2009 10:23:22 am
      Yeh he's possibly the greatest player in my generation (i'm 16) :nod:
      Onto another great.....Brett Favre
      Vikings v Packers on Sunday i think, what you reckon to that one? :P

Quick Reply