Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Joe Calzaghe?

Legend
      (91.7%)
      Loser
      (8.3%)

Boxing poll= Joe Calzaghe legend or loser??.

Read 4429 times
      kingjari
      • Forum David Johnson
      • Started Topic

• 216 posts | 10 
      • Spirit of Shankly/Liverpool Supporters Union
      Boxing poll= Joe Calzaghe legend or loser??.
      Apr 10, 2007 05:03:08 pm
      greetings all, I've just come back from the Calzaghe v manfredo fight at the millenium stadium I myself am a big, big fan of the Itallian Dragon he has it all punching power, speed, agillity and skill. this was his 20th defence of a world title he has held for 10 YEARS !  42 professional fights undefeated, his fight against the so called "new mike tyson(TM)" Jeff Lacey  was just an awesome  display of boxing . and I'm wondering if there are any boxing fans on the forum do you rate Joe Calzaghe  ?  is he a legend or a loser ?  I Say LEGEND
      P.S to you mods out there any chance of adding a poll thingy at the top of this post ? cheers.
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Re: Boxing poll= Joe Calzaghe legend or loser??.
      Reply #1: Apr 10, 2007 11:20:47 pm
      Joe is a great fighter, defiantly not a loser but not a Legend in the class of Benn or Eubank. I always felt a bit sorry for Joe he just came along at the time when a golden age for the Super middle weight devision was coming to an end. May be he could of proved how good he really is if he could of fought Eubank, Benn, Watson or Collins in their prime.
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #2: Apr 11, 2007 10:06:07 am
      I'm not really a fan of fighting, but I think Calzaghe is a legend!
      Cy
      Reply #3: Apr 11, 2007 12:05:08 pm
      Joe is a great fighter, defiantly not a loser but not a Legend in the class of Benn or Eubank. I always felt a bit sorry for Joe he just came along at the time when a golden age for the Super middle weight devision was coming to an end. May be he could of proved how good he really is if he could of fought Eubank, Benn, Watson or Collins in their prime.
      Joe did beat Eubank in an amazing fight but yes Eubank wasn't on his prime. The resulting confusion around his championship status is due more to the sport's deplorable mishmash of sanctioning body chaos than it is to any serious lack of accomplishment on his part. I say Legend..
      bob_blah
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 46 posts |
      Reply #4: Apr 11, 2007 02:30:14 pm
      I'll admit before I came to the UK i'd never even heard of Joe Calzaghe. Having watched his last three fights, I would have to say - legend. This is a man whose talent for whatever reason seems to have been completely missed by the UK press. By god in Oz we heard more about your bloody curling team than about the guy who had defended his title for nearly a decade. But its coming around - a homecoming event like the fight the other night must be a proud moment for any sportsman.

I just want to see him fight someone who can match him!!

Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #5: Apr 12, 2007 12:38:14 pm
      Joe did beat Eubank in an amazing fight but yes Eubank wasn't on his prime. The resulting confusion around his championship status is due more to the sport's deplorable mishmash of sanctioning body chaos than it is to any serious lack of accomplishment on his part. I say Legend..

Thats the point I was making, Eubank was way past his best, so was Collins when Joe beat him too. I think its a crying shame that Calzaghe hasn't got a top fight to define his Career. We can only speculate as to how he would of gotten on against Eubank and Benn at the hight of their Careerers, but my money would of been on Eubank, Benn and Watson all to beat Calzaghe!
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,375 posts |
      Reply #6: Apr 13, 2007 02:15:16 am
      Good points there CH.

He hasn't had anyone to really test him.

Similar to whoever wins F1 now there is no Schumacher - their victory will always be.... but how would they have got on against X?

Good work Calzaghe though. 
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #7: Apr 13, 2007 11:45:22 am
      I voted loser, heard of him but the only hero's i know are

Mike Tyson - what an animal he was
      Muhamad Ali - best the worlds ever seen
      George Foreman - not alive then
      Joe Frazier - same as george foreman but i belive my father
      kingjari
      • Forum David Johnson
      • Started Topic

• 216 posts | 10 
      • Spirit of Shankly/Liverpool Supporters Union
      Reply #8: Apr 13, 2007 12:42:44 pm
      Joe's  reputation suffers because of the number of fights the yanks turn down whether is's because of money or they don't want to travel to the uk to fight him. His history of injuries has'nt helped him either. he broke his hand against one fella in the first round  and fought 12 rounds to win a majority points decision. He even had ice on his hand after the manfredo fight on saturday.  I just think it's a shame he doesn't get the recognition he truly deserves.  I agree he maybe has'nt had a career defining fight but It's not down to him, roy jones jr, kessler, bernard hopkins have all turned down unification fights.
      And Ra Ra Rafa how about joe louis(25 world title defences) and rocky marciano ( undefeated world champion)   are'nt they legends too ??
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #9: Apr 13, 2007 07:20:39 pm
      Enjoyed the fight last weekend, I think he's got what it takes.  Is he unbeaten ?  i think I heard that somewhere.  Looking foreward to the next bout.  ;D   

Quick Reply