Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Ajax [Champions League] Tue 1st Dec @ 8:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of December and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W13 D8 L4

9/11

Read 9182 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,906 posts | 1046 
      • 96 - Always Remembered
      9/11
      Sep 06, 2009 04:08:34 am
      It's coming up to that time of year again.

I'm sure we all know that many lives were lost that day, but it's the indirect way that it still effects the people who had some relation to it, that makes me think. And that they should be thought of.

If you've ever lost anyone close to you, then you'll know how hard it hurts. Especially when it's sudden. But if you haven't, then you'll still be able to relate.

Spare a thought for all the families and friends.

That night, I was in the Kop to see the reds play Boavista. Hand on heart, it was the most strangest night I've ever witnessed in The Kop. There was a diverse sense of togetherness.

YNWA
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,785 posts | 976 
      Re: 9/11
      Reply #1: Sep 06, 2009 04:16:31 am
      It's a day i silently acknowledge to myself every year. One of those days that in 100 years or 500, will still be looked back on as both a day that changed history, and then simply such a tragedy of monumental proportion. We must never forget this tragedy, such a needless loss of life to satisfy the ideals of a few crazy men. Hopefully we will never see something like it again.
      I remember i woke up at 630am to get ready for school, was 13 years old and just couldn't believe what had happened over night. Spent every minute before i went to school glued to the TV. Crazy, sad, stupid stuff. Fair chance there could have been a Liverpool fan in the 1000's dead, to them an everyone who passed that day, You'll Never Walk Alone.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #2: Sep 06, 2009 11:34:24 am
      Funnily enough, I watched the DVD the Naudet brothers made last night. Hugely tragic.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #3: Sep 06, 2009 11:45:19 am
      I get goosebumps every time I really think about it.

I'd heard some things in school but didn't know what to make of them being a young lad, then I went back to my cousin's. My Mum and his Mum were there too along with his sisters. We had the TV on. Not one word was muttered, nothing. Only pale faces and tears in the room. An absolutely tragic day.

It's had such a masssive knock on effect on the world now too, me included. I'm one of the least racist people you'd meet but I'm sure I'm not alone in saying when flying and seeing a far eastern passenger it does indeed make me a bit nervous - and that's not good considering I'm a nervous flyer anyway. Infact the whole idea of that is awful really, things shouldn't be that way but it's the sad truth. The people involved in the events have almost set the tone, we try to tell ourselves that it's over but really deep down we are always a bit cautious, even though some wouldn't admit it.

I visited New York January 2008 and stood where it had happened. I read the plaques on the walls and looked at the space left. Me and the family sat in a cafe which looked onto the Twin Towers, as I sat there and had lunch I looked out of the window and just imagined it happening. I just couldn't though. It seems almost beyond reality, shocking stuff.

R.I.P to all of those that sadly lost their lives on that day.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,290 posts | 1236 
      Reply #4: Sep 06, 2009 11:49:19 am
      A tragedy of massive proportions.

Feel anger and sadness every time I think about it.

YNWA to the families of those that perished.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #5: Sep 06, 2009 11:53:03 am
      There's a new programme on tonight. I think it's on Channel 4. Families of those who died sharing their last phone calls. As a document for history and future generations, the documentary '102 Minutes That Changed America' is one that I think everyone should see.

I bet the 'Truthers' will be out in force again, peddling their lies and misinformation. But I don't want this to turn into a conspiracy thread. I, for one, will be shedding a few tears to the memories of the almost 3000 people lost on that day.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #6: Sep 06, 2009 11:56:47 am
      There's a new programme on tonight. I think it's on Channel 4. Families of those who died sharing their last phone calls. As a document for history and future generations, the documentary '102 Minutes That Changed America' is one that I think everyone should see.

I bet the 'Truthers' will be out in force again, peddling their lies and misinformation. But I don't want this to turn into a conspiracy thread. I, for one, will be shedding a few tears to the memories of the almost 3000 people lost on that day.

Do you mean like 'the banknote' for example? I do think sometimes you can make something out of everything - looking for things that aren't there. I have no idea why anybody would think it was a conspiracy. It's actually quite sickening when it was there to see, human beings jumping out windows of a skyscraper as they felt it was the best way to die rather than burning in the flames. I'm nearly in tears just posting in here to be honest.

I think I might watch that programme tonight actually Gow, cheers for bringing it up.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #7: Sep 06, 2009 12:02:36 pm
      There'll be programmes on all week mate. Just that most of them will be repeats. I make a point not to miss any. I feel I owe it to the people involved. So I've seen most of them, that's why new ones stick out to me. I'll try and update what's on when in here rather than in the On TV Right Now thread as the week goes on.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #8: Sep 06, 2009 12:07:52 pm
      Yeah I think that'd be better, nice one mate.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #9: Sep 06, 2009 12:14:14 pm
      Discovery, National Geographic, Channel 4 and More4 will have a good few programmes. World Trade Center was on last night (the movie) and a programme about the widows and their compensation.

6pm-9pm tonight on National Geographic - two hours of 'Inside 9/11' and then '9/11 Conspiracies' after that. 'Inside 9/11' is very informative.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #10: Sep 06, 2009 12:59:55 pm
      Discovery, National Geographic, Channel 4 and More4 will have a good few programmes. World Trade Center was on last night (the movie) and a programme about the widows and their compensation.

6pm-9pm tonight on National Geographic - two hours of 'Inside 9/11' and then '9/11 Conspiracies' after that. 'Inside 9/11' is very informative.

Wow, you are up on this.

My parents watched that film whilst I was out last night - said it was very upsetting. I guess United 93 might be on sometime during this week too.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #11: Sep 06, 2009 01:04:59 pm
      The film is upsetting, but I don't think any non-documentary type movies are really needed for 9/11, do you? The facts are there on camera - every moment and every aspect of that day (don't forget The Pentagon aswell as the flight that crashed in Pennsylvania) - there's even a site that has the whole morning's news coverage streamed for about half a dozen networks including the major American ones and Sky News and BBC. Like I said, despite how upsetting the documentaries are to watch, it is the legacy of history and the victims, and I'll keep watching them to honour their memory.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #12: Sep 06, 2009 01:07:50 pm
      I know what you mean mate.

I liked United 93 though, was an interesting view on what might have happened. Infact has any information been released about what actually happened with that flight?
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #13: Sep 06, 2009 01:12:01 pm
      Here's an official document regarding all of the planes with flight controller transcripts etc. From the FAA/NORAD.

http://www.npr.org/911hearings/staff_statement_17.pdf
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,442 posts | 5080 
      Reply #14: Sep 06, 2009 01:18:19 pm
      A sad day.

Even sadder is the tens of thousands of civilian and military lives lost since that day.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #15: Sep 06, 2009 01:20:17 pm
      A tragic day that changed the lives of many around the world.

And many lives are lost in the process.

YNWA.
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 21 
      Reply #16: Sep 06, 2009 01:47:00 pm
      RIP to those who lost their lives on that faithful day.

YNWA
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 24,963 posts | 3450 
      Reply #17: Sep 06, 2009 02:58:41 pm
      9/11... when the neo-cons fooled the world.How many have been killed in the process after,not just civilians but military personell included..for every soul that was lost that day and for those who continue to lose thiers untill the present day may gods peace be with you.
      Truth will always come over falsehood.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 18,946 posts | 2517 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #18: Sep 06, 2009 03:08:23 pm
      I remember that day clearly... My class had just finished, I was on my way back home from school when some friend came running to me: "they are attacking the US! They are exploding everything"... I had no idea of who were "they" or what was happening, but I runned home really fast, and arrived in time to watch one of the towers going down.

Really sad day, it still hurts for someone like me so far away from the US, I wonder if it was in my country and if I had lost anyone on that tragedy...

RIP
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #19: Sep 06, 2009 03:13:21 pm
      Just so happens to be my birthday too so it does.

I always say though that they lives lost are much more important than another year added on for me.

RIP
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 31,495 posts | 4745 
      Reply #20: Sep 06, 2009 05:51:25 pm
      It's coming up to that time of year again.

I'm sure we all know that many lives were lost that day, but it's the indirect way that it still effects the people who had some relation to it, that makes me think. And that they should be thought of.

If you've ever lost anyone close to you, then you'll know how hard it hurts. Especially when it's sudden. But if you haven't, then you'll still be able to relate.

Spare a thought for all the families and friends.

That night, I was in the Kop to see the reds play Boavista. Hand on heart, it was the most strangest night I've ever witnessed in The Kop. There was a diverse sense of togetherness.

YNWA

Strange was being in the Albert from about 5.30pm onwards. Getting bevvied, loads singing their heads off, proper loads of boss songs and a good atmosphere in the pub and all the coverage of 9/11 on one of the TV's in the background. Certainly was weird.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,906 posts | 1046 
      • 96 - Always Remembered
      Reply #21: Sep 06, 2009 07:38:32 pm
      Strange was being in the Albert from about 5.30pm onwards. Getting bevvied, loads singing their heads off, proper loads of boss songs and a good atmosphere in the pub and all the coverage of 9/11 on one of the TV's in the background. Certainly was weird.

Must have been very strange that mate. I don't think we went for a bevvy before or after the game.

It's mad the way you remember it like it was yesterday isn't it.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,785 posts | 976 
      Reply #22: Sep 06, 2009 08:03:49 pm

It's mad the way you remember it like it was yesterday isn't it.

Very weird eh? I can't remember alot of friday or saturday nights the last few years, but i can still remember my alarm going off at 630am that morning in Australia to the morning show hosts speaking "..it is just shocking, i don't know what to say, i just don't know what to say. Tragic"
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #23: Sep 06, 2009 08:20:39 pm
      National Geographic are testing the conspiracy theories scientifically.

One in the eye for Dylan Avery huh? He's actually on the programme, proving that NatGeo are objective, unlike the 'Truthers'.

Sky Channel 526.
      tezmac

• 7,528 posts | 321 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #24: Sep 06, 2009 09:02:00 pm
      We flew to Amsterdam for a jolly very scarey flying  home

Quick Reply