Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Villa [Premier League] Sat 11th Dec @ 3:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 8th of December and on this date LFC's match record is P20 W10 D2 L8

9/11

Read 11695 times
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Re: 9/11
      Reply #100: Sep 11, 2010 10:51:39 pm
      I would love to go visit the site where it all happened.

It is not a nice place to be.

and it is not 'would of gone' it is 'would have gone'
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,786 posts | 982 
      Reply #101: Sep 11, 2010 10:53:29 pm
      It is not a nice place to be.

and it is not 'would of gone' it is 'would have gone'

Okay, okay grammar nazi :roll:

And i believe he probably wants to go for the same reasons as me - pay respects.
      crouchinho
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 42,491 posts | 2601 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #102: Sep 11, 2010 11:00:11 pm
      Once you pay your respect, leave the thread. This page has been dismal.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #103: Sep 11, 2010 11:03:30 pm
      Nevermind, post I responded to has been deleted.
      RyanBabs

• 5,145 posts | 39 
      • London town is burning down
      Reply #104: Sep 11, 2010 11:08:55 pm
      I don't want to go there and be one of those people who can say yes i've been there.

I feel this day changed our lives for ever.

It affected everyone without a doubt, watch this:

9/11 - The World Reacts
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #105: Sep 11, 2010 11:33:42 pm
      Rest in peace all the victims of 9/11, my thoughts are with all he families that lost their loved ones.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #106: Sep 12, 2010 01:45:26 am
      RIP to all the victims of 9/11. Thoughts are with you and your families.
      Brooklyn Red

• 6,537 posts | 223 
      Reply #107: Sep 12, 2010 03:31:29 am
      9/11/01

Certainly a day that will be engraved in my mind till the day I drop. It's really hard to put into words. Such horrific tragedy yet so many heroes. Watching those people jump out of the windows just ripped a hole right through my heart. Then watching those buildings fall I just couldn't believe my eyes , I couldn't stop crying. I kept thinking I was watching a bad movie, but it was real.  The heroes that day were the FDNY. I mean these guys were running UP the stairs when people were running down.  Trying to save lives at the expense of their own. That's the definition of hero. 

Everytime I look at the NY skyline , basically everyday,  I look where the WTC used to be , kinda picturing where the towers once stood. Like they're still there. For a lifetime New Yorker , it's still so weird not seeing them there. A constant reminder.

Many thanks for all the prayers recieved from around the world, they all help.

WE SHALL NEVER FORGET

I can echo a lot of what Keith said here.

I wasn't here at the time. I was in Arizona with the Army. I was part of a change of command ceremony at my base  in Arizona and we were getting info from texts that guys were receiving. At first it was stories about a Cessna hitting a tower, but when the second one happened we knew it was all fu**ed. After the ceremony we were bussed back to the barracks and we were SMOKED on the way in. It was clear that nothing was right and when we were all assembled in the common room we saw the first tower go down. Totally f**king surreal like the best graphics I'd ever seen in a movie. My vision went white and my ears were ringng. This was my home! I knew these buildings well. I wandered down the hall and nearly broke my hand in the laundry room. I tried to get in touch with my wife who was back in NYC not even two weeks and was supposed to be going to an interview in the city which would take her by the towers. I was sick with worry and more so because I couldn't reach her.

I remember when I drove home a month and a half later and I was coming over a hill in New Jersey (on I 280) and it was my first clear view of manhattan. It was 2am or so and I was bawling at the wheel of that truck.

The WTC was the compass. It's still an empty skyline. I'm still lost without it. I'm not a big flag-waver and I'm not  Joe Kill'em All, but even for us older NYers the skyline will never be right until the day we die - Freedom Tower or not.

There's still so much injustice surrounding this event, whether it be this asshole terry Jones, the proposed mosque (which I support), the criminal war that followed the justifiable war or insurance/health rights for first responders. An event as great as this will necessarily be rife with controversy. Mankind's evil knows no bounds but thankfully we're also capable of great empathy. thank you to all our brothers and sisters overseas. Unfortunately these wounds are still fresh, though I'm close to the wound so I don't know how it is for those outside the attack areas.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,786 posts | 982 
      Reply #108: Sep 12, 2010 03:37:58 am
      I can echo a lot of what Keith said here.

I wasn't here at the time. I was in Arizona with the Army. I was part of a change of command ceremony at my base  in Arizona and we were getting info from texts that guys were receiving. At first it was stories about a Cessna hitting a tower, but when the second one happened we knew it was all fu**ed. After the ceremony we were bussed back to the barracks and we were SMOKED on the way in. It was clear that nothing was right and when we were all assembled in the common room we saw the first tower go down. Totally f**king surreal like the best graphics I'd ever seen in a movie. My vision went white and my ears were ringng. This was my home! I knew these buildings well. I wandered down the hall and nearly broke my hand in the laundry room. I tried to get in touch with my wife who was back in NYC not even two weeks and was supposed to be going to an interview in the city which would take her by the towers. I was sick with worry and more so because I couldn't reach her.

I remember when I drove home a month and a half later and I was coming over a hill in New Jersey (on I 280) and it was my first clear view of manhattan. It was 2am or so and I was bawling at the wheel of that truck.

The WTC was the compass. It's still an empty skyline. I'm still lost without it. I'm not a big flag-waver and I'm not  Joe Kill'em All, but even for us older NYers the skyline will never be right until the day we die - Freedom Tower or not.

There's still so much injustice surrounding this event, whether it be this asshole terry Jones, the proposed mosque (which I support), the criminal war that followed the justifiable war or insurance/health rights for first responders. An event as great as this will necessarily be rife with controversy. Mankind's evil knows no bounds but thankfully we're also capable of great empathy. thank you to all our brothers and sisters overseas. Unfortunately these wounds are still fresh, though I'm close to the wound so I don't know how it is for those outside the attack areas.

Great post mat, felt a tear just reading that.

I can't imagine at all wht it would be like having a family member there, as much as you say you know what it feels like to worry, nothing could compare to it actually happening.

Again, deepest suympathys. Its still something that makes me sick, that this happened.
      Brooklyn Red

• 6,537 posts | 223 
      Reply #109: Sep 12, 2010 03:54:38 am
      Worst feeling ever.

I forgot to expand on what Keith said about the people jumping out of the towers.  After a few months they started airing footage in primetime format of different peoples' video footage. No doubt you've all seen it, but the image of people jumping out of buildings and a different vid that followed the FDNY's priest makes me so sick. The camera crew was inside the lobby and you vcan hear the aTHUD as people are slamming into the overhang outside. I shudder at the thought. I used to go in and out of that lobby when I was a messenger. I acn't even hear a plane's engine without thinking of that day. It's all still weird.

I work with guys who wer there. They talk about body parts on the streets and on roofs. One guy had the front wheels of one of the planes land at his feet up 6th Avenue around Duane Street! He's still a mess.

This is definitely the most I've EVER said about the tragedy. I don't talk about it.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,786 posts | 982 
      Reply #110: Sep 12, 2010 03:59:23 am
      F**k mate i cried when i saw the footage of that and im choked u ahain now. It's horrible, absolute;y horrible.

niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #111: Sep 12, 2010 07:59:06 am
      I was only 8 ( I was living in US at this time ) when this happened but the memory of it is still so clear . Shocking stuff , truly horrible . YNWA to all those who died . RIP .
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 27,344 posts | 4191 
      Reply #112: Feb 29, 2020 01:19:48 pm
      USA has signed a peace deal with the Taliban, effectively ending the War on Terror which started after 9/11.

US & NATO troops to fully withdraw within 14 months.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 765 
      Reply #113: Mar 02, 2020 05:25:04 pm
      USA has signed a peace deal with the Taliban, effectively ending the War on Terror which started after 9/11.

US & NATO troops to fully withdraw within 14 months.

Would say wrong thread, no?
      UncleBob
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,203 posts | 208 
      Reply #114: Dec 06, 2020 01:00:24 pm
      I was living in a place called monroe at the time. Not far from New York.
      Funnily enough I was at a fire station with a mate, posing in uniform against a fire truck, when word began to spread. Not longer later the firefighters there were drafted in to New York City (which was not normal), and most of us by that point had seen the tower falling. I think all, at least most, of them in monroe are volunteers.
      Very strange day.
      My contract ended soon after and I didn’t go back to America until 2005. Was in New Orleans then and got battered by a hurricane.
      After that I really haven’t gone back.
      But America is a lot different since pre 2001. New Yorkers aren’t the same.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,246 posts | 339 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #115: Dec 06, 2020 01:44:56 pm
      I was living in a place called monroe at the time. Not far from New York.
      Funnily enough I was at a fire station with a mate, posing in uniform against a fire truck, when word began to spread. Not longer later the firefighters there were drafted in to New York City (which was not normal), and most of us by that point had seen the tower falling. I think all, at least most, of them in monroe are volunteers.
      Very strange day.
      My contract ended soon after and I didn’t go back to America until 2005. Was in New Orleans then and got battered by a hurricane.
      After that I really haven’t gone back.
      But America is a lot different since pre 2001. New Yorkers aren’t the same.

Agree. After 9/11 we had this national mourning which brought everyone together. It was a real hardcore Nationalism. But, It wasn't a kill your neighbors Nationalism. It was fly the flag, help people, volunteer, donate blood or money Nationalism. It was a time that we could be proud to be an American. But somehow and someway we have become tribal. I hate It. I'm still proud to be American but at the same time ashamed at what we have become. I hope that we can allow the new President to bring this country together but I'm afraid its going to get worse. Our Political and justice systems are broken. We are divided and hateful. Its a shame because we can be so great when we're all working as one.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,977 posts | 3119 
      • I Love My A.M.G.
      Reply #116: Dec 20, 2020 01:21:12 pm
      Agree. After 9/11 we had this national mourning which brought everyone together. It was a real hardcore Nationalism. But, It wasn't a kill your neighbors Nationalism. It was fly the flag, help people, volunteer, donate blood or money Nationalism. It was a time that we could be proud to be an American. But somehow and someway we have become tribal. I hate It. I'm still proud to be American but at the same time ashamed at what we have become. I hope that we can allow the new President to bring this country together but I'm afraid its going to get worse. Our Political and justice systems are broken. We are divided and hateful. Its a shame because we can be so great when we're all working as one.

This is not the thread for conspiracy theories.
      Many abound.
      Did Bush LIH  or MIH ?  ( Let It Happen or Make It Happen)

Where this relates to your post is that just after 9/11 with what the legal profession would call " indecent haste" the Patriot Act was presented to the American people. It obviously had been drawn up and formulated pre 9/11.

An Act with such levels of intrusion into the affairs of individuals and corporations unparalleled in US  history.
      That in normal times would have been chucked out by the Senate and the general population.

No.

With nationalistic , jingoistic fervour this went through into law with little of no objection.

The U.S. would  never be the same again. 

I was in the WTC Windows of the World Restaurant in September 88.
      For another day .....
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,521 posts | 4533 
      Reply #117: Dec 21, 2020 01:07:26 pm
      This is not the thread for conspiracy theories.
      Many abound.
      Did Bush LIH  or MIH ?  ( Let It Happen or Make It Happen)

Where this relates to your post is that just after 9/11 with what the legal profession would call " indecent haste" the Patriot Act was presented to the American people. It obviously had been drawn up and formulated pre 9/11.

An Act with such levels of intrusion into the affairs of individuals and corporations unparalleled in US  history.
      That in normal times would have been chucked out by the Senate and the general population.

No.

With nationalistic , jingoistic fervour this went through into law with little of no objection.

The U.S. would  never be the same again. 

I was in the WTC Windows of the World Restaurant in September 88.
      For another day .....

The Patriot Act is nothing compared to lockdowns, mask mandates and social distancing requirements (among other over reaching bullshit)

People in this country are actively giving away their freedom in order to stop a virus that has a 99+% survival rate.

At least terrorists were an actual threat.
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 27,344 posts | 4191 
      Reply #118: Dec 21, 2020 01:36:37 pm
      The Patriot Act is nothing compared to lockdowns, mask mandates and social distancing requirements (among other over reaching bullshit)

People in this country are actively giving away their freedom in order to stop a virus that has a 99+% survival rate.

At least terrorists were an actual threat.

Agree with your post except the bit in black...unless it’s the home grown white militia you are referring too..
      « Last Edit: Dec 21, 2020 01:49:33 pm by Shabs »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,521 posts | 4533 
      Reply #119: Dec 21, 2020 02:40:05 pm
      Agree with your post except the bit in black...unless it’s the home grown white militia you are referring too..

I’m talking about anyone that threatens the safety of otherwise innocent people, it’s not only white militia that pose a danger. There are black extremists, white extremists, Christian extremists, Muslim extremists, etc......

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,372 posts | 631 
      Reply #120: Dec 21, 2020 03:56:24 pm
      I've just finished reading the best book i'll probably ever read on 9/11. It's called The Only Plane In The Sky and tells the account of all the key players from that day. From the office workers in the WTC, to the fire and rescue workers, the first responders at the Pentagon, the investigators who turned up on the scene of Flight 93's crash, President Bush's entourage on Air Force One (the only plane in the sky that day). And then there is the US astronaut on the ISS looking down on the event from space, the air traffic controllers involved in the greatest logistical effort to ground all flights in US airspace and the sobering account of the ticket agent in the airport who let the hijackers aboard. Just some of multiple perspectives from that one day.

It's incredible. It's always been one of if not the most graphic and shocking news event of our lives but that book really gets into the details of the true horror that unfolded. The most shocking thing to read was the fine line between life and death on that day. The woman who walked to the photocopier to print something while moments later her office and desk were obliterated in the Pentagon. The group of escapees who had made their way down hundreds of floors to make it onto the street and out of the WTC... only to be crushed and killed instantly by falling, burning debris. And the decision by a handful of passengers on flight 93 that saved the lives of hundreds, potentially thousands more people on that day.

It's not an easy read but through the heroic acts of the rescuers and the strength of those family and friends widowed and grieving, it has a redemptive quality to it that urges you to keep reading.

It really is worth your time and more.
      « Last Edit: Dec 21, 2020 06:53:06 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,752 posts | 3574 
      Reply #121: Dec 21, 2020 09:20:30 pm

Ever since Kennedy decided to waged a terrorist campaign on the Cubans in the 60’s the good old USA have been the biggest terrorist organisation ever encountered from the Middle East, Far East to Central and South America.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,521 posts | 4533 
      Reply #122: Dec 21, 2020 09:52:54 pm
      Ever since Kennedy decided to waged a terrorist campaign on the Cubans in the 60’s the good old USA have been the biggest terrorist organisation ever encountered from the Middle East, Far East to Central and South America.

🤣🙄
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,707 posts | 977 
      Reply #123: Dec 21, 2020 09:55:29 pm

:lmao:
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,752 posts | 3574 
      Reply #124: Dec 22, 2020 09:19:05 am
      Two Yanks who have no idea or clue what their Govt gets up to, but why would you care about the millions in the Far East who were subject to agent Orange and having more bombs dropped in them than the whole of WW2.

The military juntas overthrowing legitimate govts in central and South America with their death squads trained and armed by the CIA.

The support and supply of weapons to dictatorships in the Miaddle East.

Just a few regions of the hemisphere feeling your govts gratitude!

Ignorance is not really an excuse!

Quick Reply