Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 1st Dec @ 8:15 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 30th of November and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W13 D3 L7

9/11

Read 11627 times
      UncleBob
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts | 206 
      Re: 9/11
      Reply #125: Sep 11, 2021 12:49:05 am
      Slightly off topic, and today marks the 20th anniversary (where has that time gone), but one thing I remember is that the family I were staying with were gearing up for what I think was Liverpool’s first game in the champions league.
      I remember the atmosphere at anfield (on the tv) being subdued.
      Can’t remember who we played against but I could barely focus on it.
      A history making day.
      Took me months to get the images out of my head of 9/11.

Incidentally, strange how memory works, I’m sure when Diana died we were about to play Newcastle.

Funny how Liverpool F.C. seem to intertwine my memories.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 33,736 posts | 5839 
      Reply #126: Sep 11, 2021 02:44:36 am
      Slightly off topic, and today marks the 20th anniversary (where has that time gone), but one thing I remember is that the family I were staying with were gearing up for what I think was Liverpool’s first game in the champions league.
      I remember the atmosphere at anfield (on the tv) being subdued.
      Can’t remember who we played against but I could barely focus on it.
      A history making day.
      Took me months to get the images out of my head of 9/11.

Incidentally, strange how memory works, I’m sure when Diana died we were about to play Newcastle.

Funny how Liverpool F.C. seem to intertwine my memories.

Boavista, was at the game, completely subdued, apart from the kop kicking off at the Boavista scorer for his inappropriate machine gun celebration.

Completely surreal scene in the Albert beforehand, jam packed everyone having a bevvy. belting out our songs and tv's in the pub all showing news of 9/11.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,261 posts | 576 
      Reply #127: Sep 11, 2021 05:04:18 pm
      Boavista, was at the game, completely subdued, apart from the kop kicking off at the Boavista scorer for his inappropriate machine gun celebration.

Completely surreal scene in the Albert beforehand, jam packed everyone having a bevvy. belting out our songs and tv's in the pub all showing news of 9/11.

Hard to believe it was 20 years ago. I was in primary school and we were going to put on a video, something to do with our project which was on the 1950s and 1960s. TV gets switched on and there it is - BREAKING NEWS on BBC 1. Initial memories was that the BBC were showing images of the Pentagon smouldering away whilst the ticker tape told us that hijacked planes had flown into the World Trade Centre in New York I had no idea what the Pentagon or the WTC was but even as a 10 year old you could sense the gravity of the situation and our teacher kept it on for a good while. I didn't even know what the Twin Towers were or anything. I didn't even know what hijacked meant!

It was only when we got home at half 3 that we saw the images of the second plane crashing into the South Tower and that both towers had collapsed. And then being so aghast by just how awesome and massive the towers were and the sight of them coming down. They were images that I thought only existed in films like Independence Day (a film I loved at the time). Like millions of other kids in an instant I'm watching hundreds and then thousands of people lose their lives for the first time in my life. And then the sight of people falling to their deaths after choosing their own way out rather than be engulfed by the horrors happening within the towers. It's chilling - an event with no filter, no censure, totally exposed.

Obviously this was pre social media and very primitive days of video on the internet so the footage we saw was fairly limited for the first few hours. It's only when new images from broadcast cameras filtered through in the following hours and days that the whole 3 dimensional aspect of the day played out. Nowadays it beggars belief what horror images would have been captured by people filming on their smart phones if they were in existence in 2001 (I'm glad they weren't!)

I can't imagine what it would have been like for relatives and friends watching similar pictures unfold before their eyes, knowing that their loved ones have been caught up in that. My thoughts are still with them and rest in peace the thousands who lost their lives that day.
      « Last Edit: Sep 11, 2021 05:18:35 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      UncleBob
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts | 206 
      Reply #128: Sep 11, 2021 07:35:24 pm
      Hard to believe it was 20 years ago. I was in primary school and we were going to put on a video, something to do with our project which was on the 1950s and 1960s. TV gets switched on and there it is - BREAKING NEWS on BBC 1. Initial memories was that the BBC were showing images of the Pentagon smouldering away whilst the ticker tape told us that hijacked planes had flown into the World Trade Centre in New York I had no idea what the Pentagon or the WTC was but even as a 10 year old you could sense the gravity of the situation and our teacher kept it on for a good while. I didn't even know what the Twin Towers were or anything. I didn't even know what hijacked meant!

It was only when we got home at half 3 that we saw the images of the second plane crashing into the South Tower and that both towers had collapsed. And then being so aghast by just how awesome and massive the towers were and the sight of them coming down. They were images that I thought only existed in films like Independence Day (a film I loved at the time). Like millions of other kids in an instant I'm watching hundreds and then thousands of people lose their lives for the first time in my life. And then the sight of people falling to their deaths after choosing their own way out rather than be engulfed by the horrors happening within the towers. It's chilling - an event with no filter, no censure, totally exposed.

Obviously this was pre social media and very primitive days of video on the internet so the footage we saw was fairly limited for the first few hours. It's only when new images from broadcast cameras filtered through in the following hours and days that the whole 3 dimensional aspect of the day played out. Nowadays it beggars belief what horror images would have been captured by people filming on their smart phones if they were in existence in 2001 (I'm glad they weren't!)

I can't imagine what it would have been like for relatives and friends watching similar pictures unfold before their eyes, knowing that their loved ones have been caught up in that. My thoughts are still with them and rest in peace the thousands who lost their lives that day.

The lack of social media was a good thing, agree there.
      I remember the shoreham air crash a couple of years back and people were downloading videos of the burned out cars before the families of the victims even knew.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,473 posts | 1144 
      • YNWA
      Reply #129: Sep 11, 2021 07:44:02 pm
      Just watching some of the anniversary coverage last night, it's still riveting and unbelievable to watch, even 20 years on.
      Not sure will see anything like it again in my lifetime. Hope I don't anyway.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,856 posts | 2762 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #130: Sep 11, 2021 08:15:25 pm

Was in the arkles and there was hardly a word being said as people just stood and stared dumbfounded at the tv screens
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,669 posts | 1299 
      Reply #131: Sep 11, 2021 08:23:15 pm
      Was in Cyprus on exercise at the time , the very next we were in Herc on the way to Kuwait
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 33,736 posts | 5839 
      Reply #132: Sep 11, 2021 11:43:44 pm
      Was in the arkles and there was hardly a word being said as people just stood and stared dumbfounded at the tv screens

Saying that, that was about 6pm, initially watched the bbc coverage after the first plane hit in work while on my dinner
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,856 posts | 2762 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #133: Sep 11, 2021 11:56:49 pm
      Saying that, that was about 6pm, initially watched the bbc coverage after the first plane hit in work while on my dinner

I was in the car on the way up, had the radio on and remember them saying there were reports of a plane hitting one of the towers. Strange this was I had only just a few days before that watched a documentary about a plane that accidently hit the empire state building in 1945
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,290 posts | 129 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #134: Sep 12, 2021 02:52:43 am
      I was in high school gym class outside and remember all the planes in the sky wondering what on earth was going on then teacher letting know there has been attacks in New York. Then going home for lunch and watching it on TV was surreal to see.

Learned that all the planes in the sky were from closing air travel so they had to land in the closest airport and since Standfield airport in Halifax wasn't that big they were flying around waiting for their turn to land.

tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,665 posts | 495 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #135: Sep 13, 2021 04:42:34 pm
      I was onn the piss in Amsterdam knew nothing about it till my wife phoned to tell me what had happened, had terrible trouble geting a flight home

Quick Reply