Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Tue 16th Jun @ 8:00 pm
      Goodison Park

Today is the 31st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

9/11

Read 9125 times
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,892 posts | 552 
      Re: 9/11
      Reply #25: Sep 06, 2009 10:33:04 pm
      I remember waking up in the morning and seeing this unfold on TV it was upsetting to watch but nothing compared to the horror that people in New York faced on that day.

RIP to all that lost their lives that day and from the war since.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #26: Sep 06, 2009 10:35:14 pm
      Watching a programme on Channel 4+1 about messages left by family members who died, with their families talking. Really powerful and very beautiful and moving accounts.
      Y.N.W.AScouseJayY.N.W.A
      • Forum John Toshack

• 253 posts |
      Reply #27: Sep 06, 2009 10:40:13 pm
      Just watch it then.it was sad    R.I.P
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #28: Sep 06, 2009 10:47:32 pm
      Watching a programme on Channel 4+1 about messages left by family members who died, with their families talking. Really powerful and very beautiful and moving accounts.

I watched it on C4, very emotional and powerful.  Those phone calls really meant so much to their loved ones.  Very sad and moving.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #29: Sep 06, 2009 10:51:51 pm
      Just shows there'll be things that will come out for many years that enable people to see who the people were in those buildings, rather than the image of the burning buildings. The fella from New York Times, Jim Dwyer (who was on that show), wrote a book called '102 Minutes That Changed America' detailing the last minutes of people in the towers as time passes from known information. It's an amazing read. And a documentary, with the same title, created for the History Channel, airs on Channel 4 on Monday at 9pm. It's home video clips of the morning as it unfolded. Some very powerful footage. There's no voiceover, it just shows you what happened without assuming you need to be told. Probably one of the best tributes to those who lost their lives that I've seen. And I've seen a lot.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #30: Sep 06, 2009 11:05:02 pm
      Gow, I've got that marked to watch tomorrow night.  Thanks to your earlier post I saw this programme tonight.  Haven't read the book, but I will have a look for it now.

Slighty OT, but on a very similar topic, have you ever read Out Of The Tunnel by Rachel North?  It's a lot about the London bombings.  I found it a difficult read as she suffered a rape as well and goes into detail about that at the start of the book and it sounds horrific, but she was also in one of the carriages that had a bomber in it, so most of the book is about that experience and the afters.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #31: Sep 06, 2009 11:07:33 pm
      Gow, I've got that marked to watch tomorrow night.  Thanks to your earlier post I saw this programme tonight.  Haven't read the book, but I will have a look for it now.

Slighty OT, but on a very similar topic, have you ever read Out Of The Tunnel by Rachel North?  It's a lot about the London bombings.  I found it a difficult read as she suffered a rape as well and goes into detail about that at the start of the book and it sounds horrific, but she was also in one of the carriages that had a bomber in it, so most of the book is about that experience and the afters.

You should definitely check out the book. It's very authoritative. No speculation. Very detailed and puts you there in the towers with the people it's talking about. Like I said, very powerful.

In terms of what happened in London, I'd prefer to have that conversation in another thread. This one should stay on topic.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #32: Sep 06, 2009 11:31:31 pm
      You should definitely check out the book. It's very authoritative. No speculation. Very detailed and puts you there in the towers with the people it's talking about. Like I said, very powerful.

In terms of what happened in London, I'd prefer to have that conversation in another thread. This one should stay on topic.

I will definitely look for it then.

Fair dos about London, for another thread.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #33: Sep 07, 2009 07:20:06 pm
      Channel 4 tonight at 9pm - 102 Minutes That Changed America.

If you only ever watch one documentary about 9/11, make it this one.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #34: Sep 07, 2009 07:23:37 pm
      Ah i have to watch Vanilla Sky another night so.

Cheers Gow.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,906 posts | 1046 
      • 96 - Always Remembered
      Reply #35: Sep 07, 2009 09:18:41 pm
      I'm not sure I want to carry on watching this. I feel a bit sick now.
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #36: Sep 07, 2009 09:29:03 pm
      I can still remember exactly where i was and what i was doing when i saw it all over the news. Something i'll never, ever forget.

RIP to all of those who tragically lost their lives.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 30,516 posts | 4346 
      Reply #37: Sep 07, 2009 09:52:09 pm
      Been a good documentary so far.

Mad watching the police car and the other car having to slow down to avoid the burning debris falling. Then you could see the traffic lights had caught fire through falling burning debris.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #38: Sep 07, 2009 09:57:06 pm
      I was at college when one of the lads got a text alert regarding it... Didnt think big of it at that moment until I got home and my family were glued on the breaking news on itv....

Such a shocking, terrible tradegy ive known of in my lifetime...

RIP to all who lost their lives...
      andylfcynwa

• 7,982 posts | 999 
      Reply #39: Sep 07, 2009 09:59:06 pm
      Watching it too one of the saddest days in my lifetime ,as it has changed so many things for the wrong reasons,can still recall the moment and the place i was when it happened ,i had only flown home from Cyprus two days earlier our friends had to fly home the day it happened they told me it was the scariest thing they have ever done .
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #40: Sep 08, 2009 12:11:39 am
      Compelling viewing that.  Weird how you know exactly what is going to happen but are still so shocked when it does.  I feel quite numb now.  An awful tragic day.  RIP to the thousands that died, and are still dying.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,752 posts | 3303 
      Reply #41: Sep 08, 2009 04:53:07 pm
      Still really vivid in my head, had been out fishing and got back to an empty house didn't have a mobile with me that day well i got in made a coffee and put the TV on. There was this movie on with a plane flying into a skyscraper - then the horror dawned on me.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,539 posts | 3144 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #42: Sep 08, 2009 06:43:41 pm
      Innocent lives lost that day because brainwashed, mad fuckers thought 'killing in the name of' would lead to some sort of salvation; spiritual or otherwise. Sadly it opened the door for other brainwashed mad fuckers to seek retribution and the death toll rises.

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves"

R.I.P. the innocents.
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 21 
      Reply #43: Sep 08, 2009 07:01:41 pm
      ^^^
      Was watching that documentary last night, was scary to watch,the havoc and fear it created was inhumane.

RIP
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #44: Sep 09, 2009 04:26:02 am
      When it happened I was a young lad and I didn't really know what was going on then. Was only about 7 years old.

However this tragedy is one of the worst happened in history, or in fact the worst and everything that happened was sudden. Not only did it cause a loss of lives but also I'm sure it affected thousands even to this day, their families and relatives.

A very sad day. RIP.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #45: Sep 10, 2009 07:49:12 am
      Anniversary of 9/11 tomorrow, R.I.P for the innocent lives.
      What a terrible moment, I was only.. 7 or 8 or something but I know now how terrible it was.
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #46: Sep 10, 2009 11:15:56 am
      RIP to all that lost their lives on 9/11/2001. Everyone remembers exactly where they were on that date, and that tells of its magnitude. It is a date which neither shall or will be forgotten, and rightly so. The deaths of 3000 should be honoured. There are no words which would be suitable in describing the pricks who were responsible, if they were infact responsible.

Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #47: Sep 10, 2009 11:22:21 pm
      So I said I'd post to let everyone know what programmes are on TV for the anniversary. I know it's a Friday night, but here's the line-up of what's on.

ITV4 at 9pm for 1 hour - Chasing Planes - As I think this is the only new programme that isn't a repeat, I'll type the full description from the Sky TV Guide. 'Documentary chronicling experiences, dedication and insight of civilian and military ground control on that fateful day. With personal accounts and historic footage.'

It's followed at 10pm by the film United 93.

On More4 at 9pm is a repeat of the programme that was on the other night - Phone Calls from the Towers.
      Followed at 11pm by The 9/11 Faker about a woman who claimed to be in one of the Towers and became a figurehead for survivor's groups after saying she lost her fiancee in the attacks, but it was all a lie.

On National Geographic at 8pm is the very well made Inside 9/11 which is on for two hours and worth watching if you didn't see it earlier in the week.

On History at 8pm is Hotel Ground Zero - for an hour, about people who escaped The Marriott Hotel, which was cleaved in half when the North Tower collapsed. Then at 9pm is the powerful 102 Minutes That Changed America. On TV the other night, but if you didn't see it you should.

Thought there would be some more new programmes, but it's mostly repeats. The first one listed I think is new though as I said. Sorry it's not in great time order, but I just wanted people to have a point of reference if they'd like to remember the victims by watching from the historical perspective. Especially seeing as some of our younger forumers might now be at a better age to fully grasp the events of that horrific day.

I'll be thinking about those poor souls who perished all day tomorrow - at The World Trade Centre, The Pentagon and in Pennsylvania. They will Never Walk Alone.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #48: Sep 10, 2009 11:35:44 pm
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,906 posts | 1046 
      • 96 - Always Remembered
      Reply #49: Sep 11, 2009 12:36:08 am