Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 17th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

Hyypia: The Bayer years

Read 13971 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,575 posts | 6915 
      Hyypia: The Bayer years
      Sep 06, 2009 12:59:32 pm
      Started off well with Bayer Leverkusen.

Four games in, four full appearances and they've got 10 points on the board and joint top of the Bundesliga.  From what I gather he has been getting a fair few of his headers on target from corners as well.  Real shame he left. I'd still say he would have done a better job than Krygiakos but hey.

« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2010 08:21:19 pm by JD »
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Re: Hyypia: The Bayer years
      Reply #1: Sep 06, 2009 08:47:53 pm
      Good to see he's doing well. Wish he was here.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #2: Sep 06, 2009 08:50:56 pm
      Will miss him, still our best defender alongside Carra i felt, Skrtel and Dan still maybe just that year or two off his standard. Wish he had stayed, but well in to him for making something at another team and a regular to. Bayer is better for his presence, good luck.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,184 posts | 912 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #3: Sep 06, 2009 09:06:39 pm
      Good luck to the guy hope he has a great season
      RedDrog
      • Forum John Toshack

• 264 posts |
      Reply #4: Sep 06, 2009 09:08:13 pm
      A legend as far as I am concerned. should've kept him.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #5: Sep 06, 2009 09:18:51 pm
      Glad it's started well for him there.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #6: Sep 07, 2009 10:23:09 am
      You can't blame Sami for wanting to play week in week out, we couldn't guarantee that so he left, a massive loss in our defence, I still look for him when those corners come into the box, he could always be relied on to play his best at all times.

Wish he was still with us but 'Good Luck' Sami, and I hope you have a magnificent season with Bayer.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #7: Sep 07, 2009 10:32:07 am
      A pity he isn't here now, he was a class act for the past 10 years. Was a complete footballer with the exception of his pace, but made up for it with his fantastic positional sense and his ability to antipicate the game.

A fantastic servant for the club but yeah MsG, we can't blame him for wanting to play week in week out. He feels he still has it in him so I wish him the best of luck. I've seen a couple of Bundesliga highlights and saw Sami. He was threatening with those headers really.

A top man and a top professional. I know even if he's at Bayer he'll be watching Liverpool games and keeping in close contact with the lads. Hope to see him back here in the coaching department once he's retired.
      skunkburner
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 138 posts |
      Reply #8: Sep 16, 2009 08:55:26 am
      Hopefully he will be back to pass on his skills
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #9: Sep 16, 2009 11:49:16 am
      All the best Sami.

See you soon! ;)
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #10: Sep 16, 2009 12:01:48 pm
      A true Liverpool legend. One of the bargains in the history of the Premier League.

Can't blame him for wanting to play week in, week out and that was something we couldn't guarantee or we'd stall the progress of our young budding centre-backs. I guess he didn't want to face the fact he isn't getting any younger :P

One thing we really lost was his presence and experience. All the best Sami, hope you had a great year at Bayer!
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #11: Sep 16, 2009 12:04:47 pm
      He was one of my all time faves, wish he was still here.  Glad to see that he is doing well though.  All the best Sami
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #12: Sep 16, 2009 12:34:05 pm
      Bayer are killing it in the Bundesliga. They beat Wolfsburg at their home ground and Sami has been superb.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #13: Sep 18, 2009 08:11:17 pm
      Bayer are joint top at the moment with Hamburg, keep up the good work Sami.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #14: Sep 18, 2009 08:12:21 pm
      Be quality if we played them next year in the Champions League.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #15: Sep 18, 2009 08:14:29 pm
      Nice one Sami, wish you was here, and not in Germany.
      bri1970
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      Reply #16: Sep 18, 2009 09:32:12 pm
      Great to hear all going well for the him,keep up the good work Sami
      Iano92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 958 posts |
      Reply #17: Sep 18, 2009 11:27:00 pm
      Well in Sami, Hope he comes back later in his career to Liverpool in some capacity :)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,070 posts | 8516 
      Reply #18: Sep 20, 2009 05:49:52 pm
      Half an hour left of Leverkusen - Werder Bremen on ESPN Channel 417.

0-0 so Sami must be doing his best Gandalf impression, AGAIN!

HA HA Playing number four as well!!
      justice4the96
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 360 posts |
      Reply #19: Sep 20, 2009 06:12:25 pm
      Great start to life in Germany. Well in Sami and good luck for the rest of the season. LFC legend! YNWA
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #20: Sep 30, 2009 09:48:33 pm
      http://bundesliga.de/en/liga/news/2008/index.php?f=0000136981.php&fla=3

Just found this interview on the Bundesliga website.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #21: Sep 30, 2009 11:07:55 pm
      Wish it was still the Liverpool years, he'd have gotten the defence sorted.
      wellboy
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 85 posts |
      Reply #22: Sep 30, 2009 11:29:09 pm
      You can't blame Sami for wanting to play week in week out, we couldn't guarantee that so he left, a massive loss in our defence, I still look for him when those corners come into the box, he could always be relied on to play his best at all times.

Wish he was still with us but 'Good Luck' Sami, and I hope you have a magnificent season with Bayer.

Agger is as good as Sami when fit. I rate him higher than Skrtel and pops in the couple of goals per season. I hope he gets over this latest injury
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #23: Oct 01, 2009 01:48:19 am
      F**k we need him now eh! When Dagger is back we should be better, but the good thing about Sami was he always seemed around, never out with long injury lay offs. The chance of Dagger going through a whole season without a knock is about buckleys and none.
      Never the less, great to see him going great guns in Germany, keep it up Sami mate!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,070 posts | 8516 
      Reply #24: Oct 05, 2009 05:08:47 pm
      Simon Rolfes finds mean streak and Sami Hyypia helps send Leverkusen top

Jupp Heynckes has instilled the characteristics of their midfield maestro into a team that is now hammering away at the imperfections

As the son of two teachers, Simon Rolfes was perhaps destined to be a model pupil. Growing up in the small north-western town of Ibbenbüren, he excelled at school – physics was one of his A' level majors – but it took him a long time getting discovered as a football prodigy.

His older brother Tobias, who doubled as his youth coach at TuS Recke, organised trials at Hannover and Bremen. After three sessions at Werder, Rolfes was in. "I was too slender for professional football, though," he remembers, "I underestimated the physical demands." Still in his teens, Rolfes employed a personal coach to build up stamina, muscle and stability. He knew all the extra-curricular work would pay off eventually when he prevailed in a tough bet against his brother Michael: aged 16, Simon was able to keep up the ball 3,000 times to win himself a new France 98 World Cup ball.

The Bayer Leverkusen captain still tries harder than most players today. On days off, you can find him running in parks and pumping iron in the gym. "I know I've got a long way to go," he says. Along with Thomas Hitzlsperger, the 27-year-old exemplifies a new generation of German footballers: thoughtful, agreeable young men who make up for a lack of god-given genius with extra effort on and off the pitch. These guys are sometimes belittled as "perfect sons-in-law" by football writers who long for the good old days of Matthäus or Effenberg, when mean, egotistical bas**rds roamed the Bundesliga.

To be fair, if Rolfes was any more low-profile, the needle would skip straight to the label. Sometimes you feel that German football specifically invented this type of player to lull the competition into a false sense of security before a tournament ("They've got who in midfield? Ha, ha, ha. Oh bugger, they're in the semis again").

Rolfes, a classic No6 who brings structure and balance to his side with unassuming expediency, was one of the most consistent performers in the 2007‑08 season. Experts demanded his inclusion in the Euro 2008 squad, but Rolfes was never going to make any public demands. Instead, he was buying up dozens of Duplo chocolate bars, secretly hoping that one of them would contain a Simon Rolfes Euro 2008 sticker. Even when he found one, he wasn't quite sure about his prospects. "I don't know who picked the players for these stickers, maybe it wasn't the German FA," he told a newspaper in May 2008. Jogi Löw soon outed himself as a Rolfes fan, though. He played well in Germany's 3-2 wins over Portugal and Turkey on the way to the final.

Last season, Rolfes seemed on course for even greater things. Leverkusen finished 2008 three points off the top before crashing to ninth place after the winter break. Naturally, they lost the German FA Cup final against Bremen as well. Not once were they able to turn a game around after going behind. Bayer perfectly corresponded to the "Neverkusen" stereotype and were dismissed as too soft, even by their own sporting director. "We're lacking a dirtbag," said Rudi Völler.

Rolfes' squeaky-clean style was seen as part of the problem. He received only two cautions in the whole campaign, and none at all in the one before. He simply doesn't believe in strategic brutality and looks at Spanish midfielders for an alternative way of playing. "We're trying to win the ball back collectively, so there's no need to commit a foul," he says, adding that relying on "the German virtues" is no longer enough in the modern game.

With two yellow cards in eight games Rolfes is firmly set for a career-worst disciplinary record, but that's certainly not the only reason why Leverkusen are top of the tree after a 4‑0 destruction of sorry Nürnberg. They're not necessarily meaner, either. On the contrary, you'll be hard pressed to find a more cultured side in the league.

What they do have now is a bit of experience at the back, courtesy of Sami Hyypia. The 35-year-old Finn impressed from the first day of training with his cool demeanour (and his Ferrari). He's not going to outrun opponents but he can compensate by standing in the right place at the right time, most of the time. "We are learning to be compact and keep clean sheets," the manager Jupp Heynckes said on Saturday. Talk of a championship challenge won't be easily dismissed – "it's only October," said Hyypia – for much longer if they keep performing at this sort of level.

Bayern's on-loan talent Toni Kroos, outstanding in attacking midfield, reminded everybody about last season's fall from grace but doesn't believe history will repeat itself. "This is the most mature Bayer in the last few years," said striker Stefan Kießling. "You could see the potential and possibilities today."

A lot of credit must go to Heynckes. The 64-year-old has abolished Bruno Labbadia's kamikaze style and replaced it with more sustainable strategy. "You can't play pressing for 90 minutes, it's too tiring," he said before the season. In the corridors of the BayArena, they also point to better man-management. Labbadia, the players hint, was too demanding; apparently he pushed them too far on the last day of the winter training camp, when everybody expected a nice warm-down kickaround. Consequently, a distinct loss of trust affected the mood.

Heynckes' style is far less confrontational. In fact, his gentle way of doing business was seen as a recipe for disaster by some critics in Leverkusen, who wanted a more authoritarian coach for their ensemble of fragile, sometimes lethargic technicians. Twenty points from eight games, the best ever start for Bayer in the Bundesliga, have changed this view, however. Their success is even more remarkable when you consider that their best striker, Patrick Helmes, is currently out of commission (cruciate ligament).

Kroos' dramatic improvement can perhaps best explain their great run. "I told him that he needs to work harder at his game, especially at changing tack from defensive to offensive," said Heynckes. "Today, you saw the result."

Bayer, in other words, haven't actually changed that much at all. If anything, they're even more of a "Simon Rolfes team" now: humble, intelligent, ready to take a look in the mirror and hammer away at their imperfections.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2009/oct/05/bundesligafootball-bayerleverkusen
      LFCMau
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,747 posts | 11 
      • 100% LFC, without doubt!
      Reply #25: Oct 05, 2009 06:08:28 pm
      Absence felt at Liverpool. Anyway, it feels good to know Sami is doing a good job (as most of the times, if not always). 
      MsGerrard
      Reply #26: Oct 07, 2009 10:54:35 pm
      Oh Sami Sami, Sami Sami Sami Sami Hyypia.

You may have left us temporarily, but...

Happy Birthday Sami, hope you're having a good time in Germany.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #27: Oct 07, 2009 10:56:32 pm
      Happy Birthday Sami! Hope your back the season after next!

Are they still doing well?
      MsGerrard
      Reply #28: Oct 07, 2009 10:58:04 pm
      I think so Paul, yes, last time I looked they were in 2nd place  ;D
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #29: Oct 07, 2009 10:59:19 pm
      I think so Paul, yes, last time I looked they were in 2nd place  ;D

Great stuff. Would be boss if we met them in the CL next season!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #30: Oct 07, 2009 11:36:00 pm
      Great stuff. Would be boss if we met them in the CL next season!

Oh...I don't know about that, Sami might head one in the net from a corner  :o This is what you've been missing Liverpool.

Can you imagine the reception he'd get though if we did meet then, how emotional would he be coming back to Anfield  :)
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #31: Oct 08, 2009 05:59:25 am
      They are doing very well indeed. Top of the table and one of 2 undefeated teams in the league so far.

Haha I am not sure if that header would be into our goal MSG or his own??

I wish he stayed!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #32: Oct 08, 2009 02:31:55 pm
      Happy Birthday Sami! What a legend.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #33: Oct 15, 2009 04:56:45 am
      Just received my season highlights DVD from last season in the mail today, and watching the highlights of him coming on for that last game actually brought a little bit of a tear. Bloody love the guy, and he is really missed. Glad he is doing so well, always a class act. YNWA Sami.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #34: Oct 15, 2009 09:10:13 am
      I wish he was still here. Glad he's doing well, hope he can win the league with Bayer.

Oh...I don't know about that, Sami might head one in the net from a corner  :o This is what you've been missing Liverpool.

Can you imagine the reception he'd get though if we did meet then, how emotional would he be coming back to Anfield  :)

Even if he scored, he'd be applauded.
      dave09
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 153 posts | -1 
      Reply #35: Oct 18, 2009 07:18:27 pm
      it's a total joke we got rid of sami and replaced him with kryiakgos
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #36: Oct 18, 2009 08:05:00 pm

He left on his own choice, and Kyrgiakos was not a replacement.

If he scored the winner at Anfield i would still be F***ing proud as punch, and im sure Hyypia would know we were all proud to. Not that i like losing, but i would feel proud to watch him play at Anfield like the legend he is and was for us.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,575 posts | 6915 
      Reply #37: Oct 18, 2009 08:18:02 pm

We didn't 'get rid' of him.  He wanted to go and play regular first team football.

And Kyrgiakos has had about 2 games so get off his F***ing back.
      fc~hansa~fing
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 27 posts |
      Reply #38: Oct 20, 2009 03:30:56 pm
      He`s doing a very good job I`m from germany and glad that he plays in our league ;)
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #39: Oct 20, 2009 04:07:18 pm
      Could you imagine Hyypia wearing the wrong kind of red?

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #40: Oct 21, 2009 01:26:16 am

Just not the same seeing him in another teams kit.
      Iano92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 958 posts |
      Reply #41: Oct 21, 2009 05:57:43 pm
      He even looks upset.... :P :P
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #42: Oct 21, 2009 06:05:45 pm

"This way back to Anfield?"
      MsGerrard
      Reply #43: Oct 22, 2009 11:35:04 am
      Sami Hyypia has made a flying start to his Bayer Leverkusen career, they are flying at the top of the table after a 4-0 win over Nurnberg.

Leverkusen were unbeaten in their first eight matches after winning 4 and drawing 2.
      Stevie-G-
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 169 posts |
      Reply #44: Oct 22, 2009 09:16:06 pm
      Sami Hyypia has made a flying start to his Bayer Leverkusen career, they are flying at the top of the table after a 4-0 win over Nurnberg.

Leverkusen were unbeaten in their first eight matches after winning 4 and drawing 2.
      Unbeaten in their first 8 after winning 4 and drawing 2? Explain how that add's up to 8 ;D  :lmao:
      MsGerrard
      Reply #45: Oct 22, 2009 11:14:46 pm
      Unbeaten in their first 8 after winning 4 and drawing 2? Explain how that add's up to 8 ;D  :lmao:

Apologies.....error on my part.

6 wins and two draws, making 8  :)

Just testing you  :laugh:
      Stevie-G-
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 169 posts |
      Reply #46: Oct 24, 2009 02:06:15 am

Apologies.....error on my part.

6 wins and two draws, making 8  :)

Just testing you  :laugh:
      Yeah that's it mate it was all a test!! I guess I passed with flying colour's :) what do I win ha.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #47: Oct 26, 2009 06:21:03 am
      Good to see ya at the game mate!
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #48: Oct 26, 2009 06:39:21 am
      Good to see ya at the game mate!

Yup. I was enormously proud to see him and Didi back. He has a job at Bayer but he'll gladly fly in to see the reds anytime anyday, when he can easily save himself the hassle of getting permission from his Bundesliga club and all that.

What a true red. He was smiling on the TV cameras. As a fan watching there it must have been one of his best days of his life to come back to Anfield and see the mancs stuffed at home.

With an electric atmosphere.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,070 posts | 8516 
      Reply #49: Jan 24, 2010 09:04:11 pm
      Scored the first in Bayer's 3-0 away win over Hoffenheim.

Bayer currently top of the league as well.

Good luck big man.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #50: Jan 24, 2010 09:10:29 pm
      Well in Sami!!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #51: Jan 25, 2010 03:59:52 am
      Watched that game. He hasn't lost a thing. Brilliant player.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,070 posts | 8516 
      Reply #52: Jan 25, 2010 06:59:00 pm
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #53: Jan 25, 2010 07:17:22 pm
      Feels so wierd and a little bit wrong seeing him in another strip.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #54: Jan 26, 2010 12:09:51 pm
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #55: Jan 26, 2010 01:13:35 pm
      Absolute legend. Sorry he had to leave but thanks for the memories
      MsGerrard
      Reply #56: Jan 27, 2010 03:19:59 pm

Me too, and I think Liverpool miss him too.
      Toycel
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts |
      Reply #57: Jan 28, 2010 04:08:55 pm
      What a pro. Could score too which is what we miss now.... goals ...
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #58: Jan 28, 2010 06:06:27 pm
      Oooaaahhhhh Sami Sami!!!

Good to see the big man smiling even if it is in another kit.
      YanksOutForGood
      • Forum David Johnson

• 215 posts | -1 
      Reply #59: Jan 29, 2010 03:21:57 pm
      a true hero
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #60: Feb 01, 2010 07:48:03 pm
      One of my favourite players of all time...I wish u well Sami !!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,670 posts | 6685 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #61: Feb 02, 2010 09:54:41 am
      Oooaaahhhhh Sami Sami!!!

Good to see the big man smiling even if it is in another kit.

True. He still looks good in RED.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #62: Feb 02, 2010 10:25:50 am
      I miss the big Finn.
      silvia200sx
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Reply #63: Feb 02, 2010 10:55:37 am
      Yes one of our best centre backs in the modern era, and can always score from corners which is what we need right now........
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #64: Feb 05, 2010 12:35:53 pm
      Apparently his nickname at Leverkusen is Mister Livercool ;D

Quick Reply