Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

IMDB

Read 3518 times
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      IMDB
      Sep 08, 2009 12:44:31 am
      Brilliant really isn't it?

I tell you what though, some people who post on them boards are extremely intelligent - either that are they are very good at reading into a film's meaning. Many a time I've thought to myself 'What?' 'That doesn't make sense?' after a film but then I just go on there to find out and it all makes sense.

Anyone know if it's people in the film industry that post on there or just general members of the public?
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Re: IMDB
      Reply #1: Sep 08, 2009 12:51:18 am
      Members of the public can post on there, I signed up a little while ago just to blast some punk saying that Inglorious Basterds was going to be crap because it was all about killing Nazi's and that that is sick ::) :D But I think a fair proportion of the posters are people in the know, and then some who just think they are. I use it alot though, solves alot of "I thought he/she was in that movie" arguments!
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #2: Sep 08, 2009 12:53:14 am
      It's unbelievable sometimes how people on there are able to spot things which to the untrained eye would seem like nothing. I've noticed that's the case mostly with character behaviour etc and the triggers of changes. Makes really interesting reading at times though.
      red_micheal
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 126 posts |
      Reply #3: Sep 08, 2009 12:57:06 am
      It's unbelievable sometimes how people on there are able to spot things which to the untrained eye would seem like nothing. I've noticed that's the case mostly with character behaviour etc and the triggers of changes. Makes really interesting reading at times though.

That or that they have far too much time on their hands ;D!
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #4: Sep 08, 2009 12:57:21 am
      Yeah, some people are amazing in their eye for detail in those ways. Have a mate back home in Australia who loves films and is in University for film school or whatever it is, and watching a movie with him is a whole new thing. He'll tell you things about a scene that you have watched 100 times and haven't noticed. Stuff like lighting, camera angles, characters etc.. amazing.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #5: Sep 08, 2009 03:18:36 am
      Great website, I'm always using it, wether to read more about my favourite films, or to have an idea if some film is worth watching.

And it's not exactly from IMDB, but since you guys seem to like an "expert" view from movies, those who liked There Will Be Blood might enjoy this video:

Tarantino On There Will Be Blood

I'm a big fan of There Will Be Blood (and Paul Thomas Anderson's work in general) and I also like Tarantino, so I found it pretty cool ;)
      Rood
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 334 posts |
      Reply #6: Sep 08, 2009 09:48:52 am
      There are alot of film geeks all over the world, and they seem to gather on IMDB  :P Just like people here are really into football and Liverpool, they are really into film.

I do read up on movies that intrigued me on those boards, but I don't really particpate in discussions that much. In the past few years back I've watched at least a movie of choice every day. Besides that I had to watch about 8 movies a week just for my studies too. I've seen so many movies during those years that I have a really hard time finding good movies to watch nowadays. I've seen at least 90% of the movies in the IMDB top 250 by now for example. Every now and then I hunt the internet for movies to watch, but the results have slimmed down so much lately that I've kind of given up. Even good Korean and Japanese movies, which are often my favourite, have run out. Thankfully I don't have that much time anymore these days, but now for work I watch alot of documentary films, which is pretty cool as well :D

That said, I love IMDB, it's a great tool to find out more about film, filmmakers, etc. I visit that site several times a day :P
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #7: Sep 08, 2009 10:24:06 am

I do read up on movies that intrigued me on those boards, but I don't really particpate in discussions that much. In the past few years back I've watched at least a movie of choice every day. Besides that I had to watch about 8 movies a week just for my studies too. I've seen so many movies during those years that I have a really hard time finding good movies to watch nowadays. I've seen at least 90% of the movies in the IMDB top 250 by now for example. Every now and then I hunt the internet for movies to watch, but the results have slimmed down so much lately that I've kind of given up. Even good Korean and Japanese movies, which are often my favourite, have run out. Thankfully I don't have that much time anymore these days, but now for work I watch alot of documentary films, which is pretty cool as well :D

You ever seen that Japanese film, can't remember the name of it, where a bunch of students are captured and forced to go onto what is effectively gameshow. They basically have to kill one another to survive. Weird film that! Didn't finish watching it though as it was getting ridiculously late.
      Rood
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 334 posts |
      Reply #8: Sep 08, 2009 10:35:57 am
      Yeah, Battle Royale. Pretty twisted movie, like alot of asian movies. Probably one of my first encounters with asian cinema actually. Though that's not true, I'm sure I've seen some Bruce Lee and Shaolin stuff before that :P
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #9: Sep 11, 2009 02:13:31 am
      Yeah, Battle Royale. Pretty twisted movie, like alot of asian movies. Probably one of my first encounters with asian cinema actually. Though that's not true, I'm sure I've seen some Bruce Lee and Shaolin stuff before that :P

What do you think of Oldboy, Rood? It's Korean, if I'm not mistaken. One of the very few asian movies I ever watched, and I thought it was pretty good.

I'm a big fan of Kurosawa too, Seven Samurai is brilliant.
      Rood
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 334 posts |
      Reply #10: Sep 11, 2009 12:33:42 pm
      I love Oldboy(trailer), it's one of my favourite movies in general. Chan wook park is definately one of my favourite directors. In case you didn't know, Oldboy is the 2nd movie out of the vengeance trilogy he made. The other 2 being Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance(trailer) and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance(trailer), both good but brutal movies. Oldboy is the best one out of the 3 though in my opinion. His new movie Thirst(trailer) looks promising as well, it's a vampire movie.

Seven Samurai(trailer) is a classic yeah, have to agree with you there. :) I love Ran(trailer) too. I haven't even seen close to all of Kurosawa's movies, but I'm planning to eventually.

A bunch of other good, interesting and sometimes twisted :P Korean and Japanese movies that come to mind: The Chaser(trailer), Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War(trailer), A Tale of Two Sisters(trailer), Zatoichi(trailer), A Bittersweet Life(trailer), Memories of Murder(trailer), Survive Style 5+(trailer).

I added links to IMDB and the trailers for the people who haven't heard of or seen those movies, my insurance company has had me on hold for the last 40 minutes so I'm quite bored ;D
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #11: Sep 11, 2009 04:47:58 pm
      Wow, thanks for that! :)  Always wanted to get more into asian cinema.

I have a friend who is a big fan of Kurosawa's Dreams, but I haven't watched it myself yet.
      Rood
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 334 posts |
      Reply #12: Sep 11, 2009 05:22:11 pm
      No problem :) There's plenty more really, asian cinema is very interesting.

I haven't seen Dreams yet myself, but it does look like an intrigueing film, like alot of his movies.

Quick Reply