Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

How fast's your broadband?

Read 77898 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      How fast's your broadband?
      Apr 15, 2007 08:20:29 am
      Okay then - who's got the fastest broadband - I know it isn't me - crap BT - so....

Visit www.speedtest.net

Run your test and then they give you a cool bit of forum code which you can then put in here and ... voila ...

Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Re: How fast's your broadband?
      Reply #1: Apr 15, 2007 10:23:57 am
      This is crap, there's no server in wales >:(

Internet at home is sh*te, Virgin Media. In uni it's way faster, so I'll test it again then :P
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #2: Apr 15, 2007 11:14:57 am
      Not too bad i guess.. JD you do the math :D

And its 'Virgin Media'
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #3: Apr 15, 2007 11:15:43 am

Is this good??? ??? ;D
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #4: Apr 15, 2007 11:21:20 am
      mattmgc, i've seen you got the 10mb download rate broadband. I think thats the best you can get mine is about 4mb download speeds but yours must be quite expensive too!
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #5: Apr 15, 2007 11:29:01 am
      Yeah it must be expensive but luckily I don't have to pay for it ;)  It is definitely the fastest broadband I have ever used!!!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #6: Apr 15, 2007 01:09:24 pm
      One of my mates has Sky broadband and he reckons he gets around 14700kb/s (which is about 14.7 meg).

Anybody got Sky broadband want to post their scores?

I am with BT - have been for 10 years but they are complete rip off merchants.  I have been waiting many months for the end of my 12 month contract  (which is later this month) so they can kiss my arse goodbye.

BUT, I will need to get something in place.  Absolutely cannot have any internet downtime! Even if I have to use my mobile as a modem. 
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #7: Apr 15, 2007 01:52:23 pm

Hmmmm. Not much good compared to others on here. I'm with Virgin Media - used to be Telewest.

Anyone recommend anything faster for cheaper than £18 a month? My contract is up soon...
      ASF
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 96 posts |
      • Lets get a kitty
      Reply #8: Apr 15, 2007 01:58:10 pm
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #9: Apr 15, 2007 01:58:49 pm

Hmmmm. Not much good compared to others on here. I'm with Virgin Media - used to be Telewest.

Anyone recommend anything faster for cheaper than £18 a month? My contract is up soon...
      [/quote]

Just upgrade it to the £25 a month contract which I'm using. It's double the speed of yours.

Yours is 2mbs mine is 4mbs thats double for extra £7 not much really
      ASF
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 96 posts |
      • Lets get a kitty
      Reply #10: Apr 15, 2007 02:01:07 pm

Just upgrade it to the £25 a month contract which I'm using. It's double the speed of yours.

I'm with Orange (who took over Wanadoo) and I pay £17.95 a month.  I'm not really technically minded so couldn't tell you what speed etc... I have but the internet is pretty quick and there are no restrictions on how much I can use it or anything.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #11: Apr 15, 2007 02:03:08 pm
      I think yours is up to 2meg ASF

btw hows the c.ronaldo supermarket sweep thread going ASF.. if you remember that is?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #12: Apr 15, 2007 02:06:58 pm

Nice one mate. I have thought about that but was wondering if I might be able to get a higher speed with someone else for cheaper.
      Not sure I can be bothered with all the messing about though. I don't really download all that much....
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #13: Apr 15, 2007 02:23:20 pm
      Seems to vary a bit during the day..

Anyway - I am looking in to getting Be broadband.  Apparently it is up to 24 Mb.  :o and £24 a month - no contract. Just need to give 3 months notice to cancel.
      « Last Edit: Apr 15, 2007 02:24:41 pm by JD »
      ASF
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 96 posts |
      • Lets get a kitty
      Reply #14: Apr 15, 2007 02:26:58 pm
      I think yours is up to 2meg ASF

btw hows the c.ronaldo supermarket sweep thread going ASF.. if you remember that is?

Que?
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #15: Apr 15, 2007 02:28:56 pm

Wrong person my appolgies...
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #16: Apr 15, 2007 02:36:41 pm
      I think you are right JD

A slight improvement on earlier!!!!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #17: Apr 15, 2007 02:44:33 pm

Anyway - I am looking in to getting Be broadband.  Apparently it is up to 24 Mb.  :o and £24 a month - no contract. Just need to give 3 months notice to cancel.

24Mb? :o That's a beast of a connection!
      Who's "Be" though? Never heard of that company. I'm always a bit weary of companies I haven't heard of. I remember watching Watch Dog a few weeks ago and they had a survey of the worst to the best of broadband companies. A lot of the less famous ones seemed to be quite unreliable, if I remember correctly....?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #18: Apr 15, 2007 08:03:50 pm
      24Mb? :o That's a beast of a connection!
      Who's "Be" though? Never heard of that company. I'm always a bit weary of companies I haven't heard of. I remember watching Watch Dog a few weeks ago and they had a survey of the worst to the best of broadband companies. A lot of the less famous ones seemed to be quite unreliable, if I remember correctly....?

Had a good check out.  That speed test website analyses everyone's data and they are right up there so that's good enough for me.

Be Unlimited is the .. er.. unlimited package available with them.  Google it.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #19: Apr 17, 2007 06:28:40 pm
      ^^ bump.

Come on then. I want to see some super fast broadband speeds..  Stick your test result in!
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #20: Apr 17, 2007 07:15:48 pm
      Here's my result, seems reasonable but I don't know for sure  ???
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #21: Apr 17, 2007 07:41:15 pm
      One of my mates has Sky broadband and he reckons he gets around 14700kb/s (which is about 14.7 meg).

Anybody got Sky broadband want to post their scores?

I am with BT - have been for 10 years but they are complete rip off merchants.  I have been waiting many months for the end of my 12 month contract  (which is later this month) so they can kiss my arse goodbye.

BUT, I will need to get something in place.  Absolutely cannot have any internet downtime! Even if I have to use my mobile as a modem. 

JD, I have been with Sky since leaving AOL last September and after a month of fluctuating speeds it settled down to an average of 6meg, for me this isn't bad at all as I am a good mile and a bit away from my exchange. If your mate is getting 14.7 he probably lives very close to his exchange.
      « Last Edit: Apr 17, 2007 07:42:20 pm by Glenbuck »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #22: Apr 17, 2007 07:56:29 pm
      Here's my result, seems reasonable but I don't know for sure  ???

Thats just over 0.5 Meg broadband. 

JD, I have been with Sky since leaving AOL last September and after a month of fluctuating speeds it settled down to an average of 6meg, for me this isn't bad at all as I am a good mile and a bit away from my exchange. If your mate is getting 14.7 he probably lives very close to his exchange.

Well... Apparently you should be getting much more than that.  I have really looked in to this...  :tv_horror:

Apparently its all down to a) distance from your line (like you say) and something called signal noise ratio (SNR) and attenuation which you can access on your broadband router pages.  All pretty much to do with the amount of noise on your line.  If its noisy get BT to do something about it.  I live 1.5km from my exchange according to the websites and it says I can get around 16-20 Meg on the new ADSL2 (which is what Sky and Be are using).

The website was something like dslzone.co.uk or something like that.

Quick Reply