Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

The Beatles - Overhyped? Music legends?

Read 14077 times
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      The Beatles - Overhyped? Music legends?
      Sep 19, 2009 01:15:47 am
      I am sick to death of hearing about The Beatles.

Everywhere I F***ing go it's Beatles this, Beatles that. They are the most overrated band in the history of rock and roll IMO (if you could put them in that category!) If you can dare say to me that the level of music wasn't where it is was as it is now i.e. 60's - 70's, I would gladly disagree.  I know they're from Liverpool and they are a major part of the city's cultural history, but I don't remember them ever talking in a Scouse accent!

The likes of Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, Van Halen, Black Sabbath, Jimi Hendrix, The Who, Bob Dylan, walk all over The Beatles in terms of music! The only good thing about The Beatles was John Lennon & George Harrison, it's a shame they're dead, while we have to listen to 'no more mail' 'peace and love' Ringo Starr (Richard Starkey) and that bluenose tit who plays that sh*te bass guitar, Paul McCarteny.

& Rockband Beatles, come on FFS! You could probably put it on expert and give it a 3 year old and he'd complete it within a few hours, are there any real tricky riffs that The Beatles made bar Twist and Shout? (It's not that tricky on real guitar TBH).  It needed to be said, I'm sure I'm not the only one in the world that feels the same. 

Glad I've got that off my chest now...  At least Lennon was a Red and a good artist, Jesus Christ.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Re: The Beatles - Overhyped? Music legends?
      Reply #1: Sep 19, 2009 01:52:12 am
      Some right. Some wrong.

:)
      Court LFC
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #2: Sep 19, 2009 01:55:27 am

Quote the wrong and the right.  ;)
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #3: Sep 19, 2009 01:58:33 am
      Dead right about Lennon and Harrison BEING The Beatles.

Dead wrong that all them people are better. I've been a big Bob Dylan fan, but if I had to choose I'd pick The Beatles. You can get back from the alehouse and whack The Beatles on and have a good sing song. We're lucky. There's nothing like our culture.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #4: Sep 19, 2009 02:01:02 am
      The Beatles were a music phenomeon in their day, they were wonderful, I loved the Beatles and still do, I was at Anfield earlier this year to see Paul McCartney play and he was just fantastic, maybe it's an age thing Court, I can understand you not being keen on them, but to say they are/were overrated is very harsh in my opinion.

They made some superb records which have stood the test of time over the years.

You wait till Brian 78 sees this, he won't be a happy bunny  :lmao:

And by the way, Lennon had a real Scouse accent  ;)
      Court LFC
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #5: Sep 19, 2009 02:02:15 am
      Fairy muff Gow.

The times they are a-changin'.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #6: Sep 19, 2009 02:06:30 am
      They are no.1 one and always will be, after all what other boy bands could ever be called good...none.
      i kind of also like the stones and think they were very close to being as good as the beatles....... most modern bands dont stand up to them although coldplay, u2 and snow patrol are modern versions of class bands. the song writing prowess and poetry of the beatles will always remain unbeaten though.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #7: Sep 19, 2009 02:07:21 am
      Honest to god though, there really is nothing like our culture, is there? If someone can name something that equals having a sing song with all your family to The Beatles pissed, I'll give them a fiver.
      Court LFC
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #8: Sep 19, 2009 02:08:30 am
      The Beatles were a music phenomeon in their day, they were wonderful, I loved the Beatles and still do, I was at Anfield earlier this year to see Paul McCartney play and he was just fantastic, maybe it's an age thing Court, I can understand you not being keen on them, but to say they are/were overrated is very harsh in my opinion.

They made some superb records which have stood the test of time over the years.

You wait till Brian 78 sees this, he won't be a happy bunny  :lmao:

And by the way, Lennon had a real Scouse accent  ;)

I do like John Lennon's stuff.  I was on to John with the accent, but McCarteny gets on me nerves the little posh head, and Ringo is as annoying as F**k.  I don't particularly think that the word overrated is harsh when there is so much hype surrounding The Beatles.

Not my era, although I would of loved to have been in my teens in the 70's listening to the rise of Rock music, I listen to most of it from most of the bands that I mentioned above.  I suppose I'm just a heavy antisocial rock head!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #9: Sep 19, 2009 02:08:34 am
      Honest to god though, there really is nothing like our culture, is there? If someone can name something that equals having a sing song with all your family to The Beatles pissed, I'll give them a fiver.

We'll have to try that one Gow in Kenny's living room  :lmao:
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #10: Sep 19, 2009 02:10:46 am
      Nay. Parlour. And we've already done it.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #11: Sep 19, 2009 03:02:08 am
      While we're talking John Lennon I was in a club in Hunts Cross a while ago and this arl biddy starts talking about Freddie Lennon John's father, like he's on the next table and she starts telling the story of how his mother got run over on Menlove years ago, she said that Freddie who was in the merch. was no good to no one and Julia his wife was at her wits end, Jesus I could not believe it this woman was telling my mother stuff that had not seen the light of day and all between the bingo. Sadly the Guiness kicked in and I missed the rest or maybe I just got pissed off with the bingo.    
      « Last Edit: Sep 19, 2009 01:43:07 pm by stuey »
      Beansie
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 370 posts |
      Reply #12: Sep 19, 2009 03:22:35 am
      prefer the rolling stones
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,241 posts | 921 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #13: Sep 21, 2009 09:31:50 pm
      Legends simple. How can any bands music still be be played so much 40 years on simple LEGENDS
      « Last Edit: Sep 22, 2009 12:47:54 pm by MsGerrard, Reason: Corrected spelling »
      sourcherry
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 26 posts |
      Reply #14: Sep 21, 2009 09:49:34 pm
      <---

I'm quite on the "legends" side myself. Love them like no other.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #15: Sep 21, 2009 11:05:43 pm
      Legends. Simple as that.

You really have to remember that rock n roll was in it's infancy back then and nobody had seen anything like The Beatles. Ok so there was Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard etc etc but The Beatles really did change the face of popular music not just with the songs but the whole package.

Of course the level of musicianship is far greater today and a lot of musicians back then were better players than The Beatles but nobody was writing songs like what Lennon-McCartney were knocking together. They just struck a chord with everyone who heard them somehow and it's never been repeated to this day.
      sourcherry
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 26 posts |
      Reply #16: Sep 21, 2009 11:45:36 pm
      You really have to remember that rock n roll was in its infancy back then and nobody had seen anything like The Beatles. Ok so there was Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard etc etc but The Beatles really did change the face of popular music not just with the songs but the whole package.

I don't agree with the way you've put it. The Beatles definitely changed the face of popular music, but you can't say that rock'n'roll was in its infancy. Rock'n'roll had already died in America before the Beatles even made an album. That's why the British Invasion is so important in the music history, because it revived rock'n'roll and gave it a new form. Now don't get me wrong, the Beatles are my all time favourite band and always will be; I have travelled to Liverpool 5 times in 6 years (I don't live in England) just to go to the Beatles Story Exhibition and Strawberry Field and Penny Lane (and Anfield). Cheers
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #17: Oct 01, 2009 05:39:23 pm
      Got every single song of theirs ever downloaded today in one big bundle thing. So far I am loving it.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #18: Oct 01, 2009 07:09:25 pm
      Maybe they aren't the best guitarists, bassists, drummers etc ever, but as a band, they are undeniably legends.

Also, Lennon is one of the best songwriters to have ever lived, IMO.
      nickykop
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 156 posts |
      Reply #19: Oct 12, 2009 03:43:15 pm
      I think if it wasn't for Beatles, then music would not be where it is at today. They influenced bloody everything after them.

However, I do believe they are quite over-hyped. They had good songs, some brilliant songs. But best band ever? I wouldn't say so in my humble opinion.

Legends, Indeed. But give me bloody Stevie Wonder everyday of the week.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #20: Oct 12, 2009 10:09:36 pm
      I wouldn't say that The Beatles are the best band in the world. I wouldn't say they're my favourite band. In all honesty, I don't think I'd even put many of their songs on my iPod.

But no-one can deny that they changed the way the world saw music. There was mass hysteria everywhere they went.

And don't forget, it was ALL America at that time too. To have four lads from Liverpool just throw everything upside down, and the centre of the music world was suddenly our great city? It's nothing short of unbelievable.
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #21: Oct 16, 2009 03:01:54 pm
      I wouldn't say that The Beatles are the best band in the world.

Does it mean "to be the best"?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #22: Oct 16, 2009 03:36:30 pm
      It tells a story when any band or singer aspires to be compared to the Beatles and their PA tries to juggle figures to come up with the "more popular than the Beatles" mantle in spite of the actual members being totally in awe of the band. The only test of course is if the wanabees  can achieve and maintain global fame forty years after the band ceases to exist and the former members also attain world wide fame for the same period!

Quick Reply