Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

The Beatles - Overhyped? Music legends?

Read 14075 times
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      The Beatles - Overhyped? Music legends?
      Sep 19, 2009 01:15:47 am
      I am sick to death of hearing about The Beatles.

Everywhere I F***ing go it's Beatles this, Beatles that. They are the most overrated band in the history of rock and roll IMO (if you could put them in that category!) If you can dare say to me that the level of music wasn't where it is was as it is now i.e. 60's - 70's, I would gladly disagree.  I know they're from Liverpool and they are a major part of the city's cultural history, but I don't remember them ever talking in a Scouse accent!

The likes of Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, Van Halen, Black Sabbath, Jimi Hendrix, The Who, Bob Dylan, walk all over The Beatles in terms of music! The only good thing about The Beatles was John Lennon & George Harrison, it's a shame they're dead, while we have to listen to 'no more mail' 'peace and love' Ringo Starr (Richard Starkey) and that bluenose tit who plays that sh*te bass guitar, Paul McCarteny.

& Rockband Beatles, come on FFS! You could probably put it on expert and give it a 3 year old and he'd complete it within a few hours, are there any real tricky riffs that The Beatles made bar Twist and Shout? (It's not that tricky on real guitar TBH).  It needed to be said, I'm sure I'm not the only one in the world that feels the same. 

Glad I've got that off my chest now...  At least Lennon was a Red and a good artist, Jesus Christ.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Re: The Beatles - Overhyped? Music legends?
      Reply #1: Sep 19, 2009 01:52:12 am
      Some right. Some wrong.

:)
      Court LFC
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #2: Sep 19, 2009 01:55:27 am

Quote the wrong and the right.  ;)
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #3: Sep 19, 2009 01:58:33 am
      Dead right about Lennon and Harrison BEING The Beatles.

Dead wrong that all them people are better. I've been a big Bob Dylan fan, but if I had to choose I'd pick The Beatles. You can get back from the alehouse and whack The Beatles on and have a good sing song. We're lucky. There's nothing like our culture.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #4: Sep 19, 2009 02:01:02 am
      The Beatles were a music phenomeon in their day, they were wonderful, I loved the Beatles and still do, I was at Anfield earlier this year to see Paul McCartney play and he was just fantastic, maybe it's an age thing Court, I can understand you not being keen on them, but to say they are/were overrated is very harsh in my opinion.

They made some superb records which have stood the test of time over the years.

You wait till Brian 78 sees this, he won't be a happy bunny  :lmao:

And by the way, Lennon had a real Scouse accent  ;)
      Court LFC
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #5: Sep 19, 2009 02:02:15 am
      Fairy muff Gow.

The times they are a-changin'.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #6: Sep 19, 2009 02:06:30 am
      They are no.1 one and always will be, after all what other boy bands could ever be called good...none.
      i kind of also like the stones and think they were very close to being as good as the beatles....... most modern bands dont stand up to them although coldplay, u2 and snow patrol are modern versions of class bands. the song writing prowess and poetry of the beatles will always remain unbeaten though.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #7: Sep 19, 2009 02:07:21 am
      Honest to god though, there really is nothing like our culture, is there? If someone can name something that equals having a sing song with all your family to The Beatles pissed, I'll give them a fiver.
      Court LFC
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #8: Sep 19, 2009 02:08:30 am
      The Beatles were a music phenomeon in their day, they were wonderful, I loved the Beatles and still do, I was at Anfield earlier this year to see Paul McCartney play and he was just fantastic, maybe it's an age thing Court, I can understand you not being keen on them, but to say they are/were overrated is very harsh in my opinion.

They made some superb records which have stood the test of time over the years.

And by the way, Lennon had a real Scouse accent  ;)

I do like John Lennon's stuff.  I was on to John with the accent, but McCarteny gets on me nerves the little posh head, and Ringo is as annoying as F**k.  I don't particularly think that the word overrated is harsh when there is so much hype surrounding The Beatles.

Not my era, although I would of loved to have been in my teens in the 70's listening to the rise of Rock music, I listen to most of it from most of the bands that I mentioned above.  I suppose I'm just a heavy antisocial rock head!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #9: Sep 19, 2009 02:08:34 am
      Honest to god though, there really is nothing like our culture, is there? If someone can name something that equals having a sing song with all your family to The Beatles pissed, I'll give them a fiver.

We'll have to try that one Gow in Kenny's living room  :lmao:
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #10: Sep 19, 2009 02:10:46 am
      Nay. Parlour. And we've already done it.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #11: Sep 19, 2009 03:02:08 am
      While we're talking John Lennon I was in a club in Hunts Cross a while ago and this arl biddy starts talking about Freddie Lennon John's father, like he's on the next table and she starts telling the story of how his mother got run over on Menlove years ago, she said that Freddie who was in the merch. was no good to no one and Julia his wife was at her wits end, Jesus I could not believe it this woman was telling my mother stuff that had not seen the light of day and all between the bingo. Sadly the Guiness kicked in and I missed the rest or maybe I just got pissed off with the bingo.    
      « Last Edit: Sep 19, 2009 01:43:07 pm by stuey »
      Beansie
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 370 posts |
      Reply #12: Sep 19, 2009 03:22:35 am
      prefer the rolling stones
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,241 posts | 921 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #13: Sep 21, 2009 09:31:50 pm
      Legends simple. How can any bands music still be be played so much 40 years on simple LEGENDS
      « Last Edit: Sep 22, 2009 12:47:54 pm by MsGerrard, Reason: Corrected spelling »
      sourcherry
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 26 posts |
      Reply #14: Sep 21, 2009 09:49:34 pm
      <---

I'm quite on the "legends" side myself. Love them like no other.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #15: Sep 21, 2009 11:05:43 pm
      Legends. Simple as that.

You really have to remember that rock n roll was in it's infancy back then and nobody had seen anything like The Beatles. Ok so there was Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard etc etc but The Beatles really did change the face of popular music not just with the songs but the whole package.

Of course the level of musicianship is far greater today and a lot of musicians back then were better players than The Beatles but nobody was writing songs like what Lennon-McCartney were knocking together. They just struck a chord with everyone who heard them somehow and it's never been repeated to this day.
      sourcherry
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 26 posts |
      Reply #16: Sep 21, 2009 11:45:36 pm
      You really have to remember that rock n roll was in its infancy back then and nobody had seen anything like The Beatles. Ok so there was Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard etc etc but The Beatles really did change the face of popular music not just with the songs but the whole package.

I don't agree with the way you've put it. The Beatles definitely changed the face of popular music, but you can't say that rock'n'roll was in its infancy. Rock'n'roll had already died in America before the Beatles even made an album. That's why the British Invasion is so important in the music history, because it revived rock'n'roll and gave it a new form. Now don't get me wrong, the Beatles are my all time favourite band and always will be; I have travelled to Liverpool 5 times in 6 years (I don't live in England) just to go to the Beatles Story Exhibition and Strawberry Field and Penny Lane (and Anfield). Cheers
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #17: Oct 01, 2009 05:39:23 pm
      Got every single song of theirs ever downloaded today in one big bundle thing. So far I am loving it.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #18: Oct 01, 2009 07:09:25 pm
      Maybe they aren't the best guitarists, bassists, drummers etc ever, but as a band, they are undeniably legends.

Also, Lennon is one of the best songwriters to have ever lived, IMO.
      nickykop
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 156 posts |
      Reply #19: Oct 12, 2009 03:43:15 pm
      I think if it wasn't for Beatles, then music would not be where it is at today. They influenced bloody everything after them.

However, I do believe they are quite over-hyped. They had good songs, some brilliant songs. But best band ever? I wouldn't say so in my humble opinion.

Legends, Indeed. But give me bloody Stevie Wonder everyday of the week.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #20: Oct 12, 2009 10:09:36 pm
      I wouldn't say that The Beatles are the best band in the world. I wouldn't say they're my favourite band. In all honesty, I don't think I'd even put many of their songs on my iPod.

But no-one can deny that they changed the way the world saw music. There was mass hysteria everywhere they went.

And don't forget, it was ALL America at that time too. To have four lads from Liverpool just throw everything upside down, and the centre of the music world was suddenly our great city? It's nothing short of unbelievable.
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #21: Oct 16, 2009 03:01:54 pm
      I wouldn't say that The Beatles are the best band in the world.

Does it mean "to be the best"?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #22: Oct 16, 2009 03:36:30 pm
      It tells a story when any band or singer aspires to be compared to the Beatles and their PA tries to juggle figures to come up with the "more popular than the Beatles" mantle in spite of the actual members being totally in awe of the band. The only test of course is if the wanabees  can achieve and maintain global fame forty years after the band ceases to exist and the former members also attain world wide fame for the same period!
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #23: Oct 16, 2009 07:52:16 pm
      It tells a story when any band or singer aspires to be compared to the Beatles and their PA tries to juggle figures to come up with the "more popular than the Beatles" mantle in spite of the actual members being totally in awe of the band. The only test of course is if the wanabees  can achieve and maintain global fame forty years after the band ceases to exist and the former members also attain world wide fame for the same period!

Agree the Beatles passed the test of time. Many great and reputable musicians call that band their teachers.
      So they are the best, aren't' they? It's fundamental truth, isn't it?
      ('Best’ means most excellent, most suitable, most desirable, something which surpasses all others)

It was interesting and funny for me to read on some forums the reasons why they weren't best.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #24: Oct 16, 2009 10:13:49 pm
      Agree the Beatles passed the test of time. Many great and reputable musicians call that band their teachers.
      So they are the best, aren't' they? It's fundamental truth, isn't it?
      ('Best’ means most excellent, most suitable, most desirable, something which surpasses all others)

It was interesting and funny for me to read on some forums the reasons why they weren't best.

Fazakerley
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,255 posts | 2821 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #25: Oct 18, 2009 12:51:41 am

Ive only kopped this thread today.

I can accept peoples view that they prefer some other band or whatever but to not get the Beatles or to underate them is a sin..They are music christ ignore the songs theyre famous for and go a bit deeper and youll find they are untouchable. No band has ever wrote songs that are so simple but so unreal  Im not going to try and explain it. Ive albums of all the greats and I can safely say nobody and nothing comes near what they produced. Beethoven and them lads dont have a patch listen to Elanor Rigby strings only, class. People who dismiss the Beatles dont get music
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,255 posts | 2821 
      Reply #26: Oct 18, 2009 01:00:58 am
      ote]
      I am sick to death of hearing about The Beatles.

Everywhere I f**king go it's Beatles this, Beatles that. They are the most overrated band in the history of rock and roll IMO (if you could put them in that category!) If you can dare say to me that the level of music wasn't where it is was as it is now I.e. 60's - 70's, I would gladly disagree.  I know they're from Liverpool and they are a major part of the city's cultural history, but I don't remember them ever talking in a Scouse accent!

The likes of Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, Van Halen, Black Sabbath, Jimi Hendrix, The Who, Bob Dylan, walk all over The Beatles in terms of music! The only good thing about The Beatles was John Lennon & George Harrison, it's a shame they're dead, while we have to listen to 'no more mail' 'peace and love' Ringo Starr (Richard Starkey) and that bluenose tit who plays that sh*te bass guitar, Paul McCarteny.

& Rockband Beatles, come on FFS! You could probably put it on expert and give it a 3 year old and he'd complete it within a few hours, are there any real tricky riffs that The Beatles made bar Twist and Shout? (It's not that tricky on real guitar TBH).  It needed to be said, I'm sure I'm not the only one in the world that feels the same.  

Glad I've got that off my chest now...  At least Lennon was a Red and a good artist, Jesus Christ.

Van Halen ruined any argument ye had mate

Have ye ever really listened to the Beatles?

"When I wake up early in the morning, lift my head im still yawning
      when Im in the middle of a dream, stay in bed float upstream"

Simple but genius
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #27: Oct 21, 2009 04:37:24 pm
      You could love them, hate them, have no opinion about them. But they changed music. Just the technical recording arts and the ways they recorded, revolutionized the music Industry. They were one of the first to record using multiple tracks for each instrument. They were using backmasking and doing things Club DJ's do now. The song "Tommorrow Never Knows" was made using "sampling" and mixing of sounds.

Not only were they great at recording, but the music was almost perfect.  "Eleanor Rigby", Strawberry Fields, Day in the Life.. those songs were just perfect.

It was a random convergence of a one in a million accident that John,George and Paul formed together and I agree with an earlier poster that John and George were the best writers.  George never got the respect he deserved.  His first true shot of doing his own song was "While my Guitar gently Weeps". C'mon that song is just unreal.

I'm sorry "Court LFC". Led Zeppelin were NOT better than the Beatles. At least the Beatles wrote their own music and didn't steal it from others like Led Zeppelin.   Google it and do a little research. Secondly dont use "Twist and Shout" as a gauge of the Beatles musically.  Everyone played like that in the late 50's early 60's.  It was the BEATLES that broke out of the bubblegum music and made Rock and Roll.

The Rolling Stones are one of my favorite groups.  I dont think they were better than the Beatles or less than the Beatles. I think they were both on the same level.  Plus, Lennon,Harrison,and McCartney were friends w/ Jagger and Richards and helped to record a lot of eachothers stuff. Their was a friendly rivalry, Let It Be/ Let It Bleed for example, but they were all great friends.  The Stones were sort of what the Beatles wanted to be at times and the Beatles were what the Stones wanted to be at times. You could see they both transgressed together and were breaking boundaries w/ each album.

The Beatles were the best group ever based on music,popularity,sales, #1 hits, fans, culturally and sociologically. They were more than a music group. They symbolized something great. I could only Imagine what would of happened if Lennon lived. How much music we missed out on because of an assassin.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #28: Oct 21, 2009 08:08:49 pm
      Biggest load of tripe thread ive ever read, or refused to read!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #29: Oct 22, 2009 02:47:18 pm
      The bands mentioned by CourtLFC ie the Stones,Hendrix,Zep and the Who each of them to a man would acknowledge the talent and influence the Beatles had and still have on music. The Beatles were probably the initiators of the psychedelia thing or its best known exponents and as people say the best form of flattery is imitation and they were copied a lot.
      Personally I was into the Beatles then the heavier stuff like Hendrix,E.L.P.,Floyd but it always goes full circle and the Beatles still come out on top and remain masters of the genre.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #30: Oct 23, 2009 01:58:03 am
      I know everyone has their own opinions and beliefs.  Thats what makes these forums popular and what makes debating so great.  But to say the Beatles are overhyped or question their standing in the world of music is Idiotic. Its non debateable. 

They were so far and away the best musical group ever, it cant be debated.  Their influence,style,music,personalities were just so large and impressionable that its off the charts.  They never had a bad album. Every album which was released, was totally new and influential from their previous album.  Every album had multiple #1 hits.  Every band of the day tried to copy and  borrow from the beatles.They can play any B-side Beatles song on the radio and you can sing to it and know the lyrics.

They constantly changed and grew as musicians. The producing and actual art of the recording was revolutionary. The mixing, tracking and writing of their songs was new and always fresh.

Its like trying to debate if Rembrandt or Da Vinci was a good artist.  Their is no debate.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #31: Oct 23, 2009 03:07:53 am
      Music would not be where it is today without the Beatles. Whether you love them or hate them, they revolutionized the music world and it really is a crime to call them overrated. I aint a big fan of Art as Yank Lfc Fan noted those artists, but i understand what they did and would never call them overrated.
      Even today bands are still inspired by the Beatles. They really helped move this beast of a machine we call rock music forward, and even bands such as Nirvana were inspired by them. Kurt Cobain was known to be a big fan, and was influenced highly by the Beatles works. Now he is definitely not the only one im sure. Like them or not, i think you would have to be fairly ignorant to call them overhyped ;)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #32: Oct 23, 2009 03:58:04 pm
      Suffice to say the Beatles are the yardstick that every "supergroup" aspire to equal but to date in spite of the hype nobody has convinced anyone that they have been bettered.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,241 posts | 921 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #33: Nov 01, 2009 09:30:04 pm
      Super group and will never be passed. How many bands will still be listened to 40 years on and not sound outdated
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #34: May 20, 2010 12:54:28 pm
      Wow Court, everyone is entitled to their own taste but to call them overhyped is really wrong.
      Im like you mate, i love all music be it Elton John or Pantera. 
      I love different styles, types that call for a guitar solo and others where it would be wrong. 
      Ray Charles once said "Everybody needs the Beatles in their life" its since been re-said over the years by Zakk Wylde, Dave Grohl, BB King, EVH and Lemmy.  Now these people know what they are talkin about when it comes to music right?
      I agree with you that Liverpool somewhat does hype the Beatles up but you tell me one band, one band thats come close to what they achieved? People tend to forget that when all is said and done, these were just 4 lads. 
      4 lads from Liverpool who changed music in SEVEN years of being mainstream. 
      Seven Years. 
      Now i cant think of one band who made such an impact in 7 years.  The Foo’s are probably the biggest band in the world right now but they have been going for 16 years, and in 40 years will people call Dave Grohl a genius song writer or just a nice guy who could write a good rock song?
      Like i said, everyone is entitled to their own views and regardless of music you like or hate you have to accept that it was a huge part of the music we hear today (I cant stand U2 but i will stand up for them as making an impact) ”  -  Just because you hate something doesn’t make it useless. Case in point Manchester United, as much as we hate and loathe everyone associated with the club we cant say they are crap.  Its a false statement.
      To call the Beatles overhyped and to say that only 2 of them were “Beatles” is as Wacko Jacko would say in South Park “Ignorant”
      Sure Ringo wasn’t the most talented drummer but he was a great Beatle, as annoying as he is now back in the 60’s he was the man to have drumming.  His style is looked upon as brilliant by a lot of my friend drummers who play in thrash metal bands.  Dave Grohl said the other day “I don’t have to sit here and defend Ringo, he was the drummer of the Beatles and like it or not if he wasn’t their drummer, they wouldn’t sound like the Beatles”
      As for Macca, I think i may stand alone here im a huge McCartney fan he was 1 of 2 in the Beatles as a major songwriter, if you think he didn’t have lungs on his just youtube “Golden Slumbers” of Abbey Road and that will shut up even the most avid of Paul haters.  He has gained a lot of bad press due to that skank Mills lately but through it all he is just a guy who has lost 3 very important people in his life. 
      He is just going on a tour (26th June – Cardiff, i will be there) He doesn’t have to do this, he can sit in a mansion and wipe his arse with £1,000,000 bank drafts but he chooses to stay in the game.  The 80’s were not his best efforts i will admit, but Flaming Pie, Chaos and Creation in the backyard and Memory Almost Full as well as The Fireman have gained MASSIVE critical acclaim and it must be hard for them to do that as the majority of critics nowadays are Paul bashers.
      George was a jem, my favourite not because he was the quiet but i believe his solo career to be far superior to the other 4.  He is probably one of the most under rated guitarist in history, ask any true guitarist, mate some of the stuff he was doin in 67 was unreal, not fast, but skilful and inventive.  I was so gutted when Cancer took him but his solo work is second to none, please check it out and don’t just listen to his Beatles stuff like “Here comes the sun” “Taxman” or “Something”  - as great as they are it doesn’t touch what George did in the 70’s and 80’s
      As for John yes he was an artist, course he was, he went to an Art college, he was a genius sure and a great guy.  He wasn’t responsible for the Beatles breaking up, neither was Yoko, they just got tired of each other.  Things like this happen.  Look at Pink Floyd
      I think im more or less done with this rant now, remember that there was an awful lot more to the Beatles than Love Me Do and Yesterday, if you haven’t listened to Revolver, White Album or Abbey Road you haven’t lived.
      No one will come close, no one can try, everyone will always be second best to the 4 lads who wrote their own stuff, played their own stuff and lived it.  7 years that took them from suited and booted, acid trips, hippies then rockers leaving everybody involved beathless

MrKite
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 475 posts | -2 
      Reply #35: May 22, 2010 01:54:32 am
      WHAT?! The Beatles are the most incredible thing to happen to music in the past 100 years! Most the bands you mentioned in your thread were influenced by The Beatles. And what's wrong with Paul McCartney??! How can you criticise a man who has written songs like Let It Be, Hey Jude, Lovely Rita? An amazing man as is John, Ringo and particularly George.
      Red Kenny
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 384 posts | 13 
      Reply #36: May 22, 2010 09:54:45 pm
      It is an unbelievable thread this. Today's music would not of happened without the influence of the Beatles. Ask any artist of today and they would admit it. I would also say that virtually everyone, could find at least one Beatles song that they liked such is their catalogue of sounds.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #37: May 23, 2010 02:00:05 am
      The Beatles are up there with The Beach Boys and Pink Floyd. One of the most influential bands to have graced the music scene. You want to talk about hype bands then its got to be Oasis and The Rolling Stones. Good bands but massively hyped
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #38: May 23, 2010 02:10:22 am
      Everybody saying today's music wouldn't be the same, well maybe that's true. But it's not because of the Beatles because the Beatles themselves were influenced heavily by other artists.

They've said how much the Everly Brothers and Motown music especially influenced themselves. So without those influencing the Beatles, the Beatles wouldn't be the band they were. And I'm sure the Everly Brothers and the early Motown greats were influenced by others. That's how music works, people get influenced by different people. So without the Everly's, the Beatles wouldn't be the same meaning Oasis wouldn't be the same.

My personal opinion on the Beatles is I don't mind them. Don't drool over them and think they're great, don't really think they're sh*t either though. Some of their songs are decent, some are schoolyard poetry like Love Me Do.

But, since that interview on Jonathon Ross by Ringo the F***ing gobs***e Starr, I've never listened to a Beatles song in the same way. After saying he F***ing hated the city, my city, and only came back because it was the Capital Of Culture is a F***ing disgrace. And I hate the c**t with a passion for it. I think he said there was a street named after him that he's walked down once. He's never returned to his arl school. He hates ever coming back to Liverpool, despite his family still being here.

Ungrateful F***ing c**t he is. The city that made him and gave him his chance, and now he just shits on us like so many Scouse celebrities to once they hit the big time. Rather see their name up in lights down south or across the pond in America than be idolised by the people who put you there in the first place.

I'm not apologising for my words either. Ringo is a c**t. And his opinion on my city has changed the way I look at the Beatles.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #39: May 23, 2010 04:36:28 am
      Fair enough as well Billy, changed my opinion too! c**t.

Will never watch Thomas the Tank Engine the same either.
      MrKite
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 475 posts | -2 
      Reply #40: May 24, 2010 12:21:25 am
      I won't say Ringo's a c**t for what he said. He doesn't despise the city but he did say 'there's nothing he misses in Liverpool' which isn't hateful but just bizarre considering it's the most cultured and admired city in the UK at the very least. Anyway he said it in his mental breakdown year. 'No more letters, peace and love' and all that! Ha!

Ringo Starr says he's too busy to sign autographs

At least Marge Simpson got her painting posted to him in time...
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #41: May 24, 2010 11:55:45 am
      You have to remember though, when Ringo lived in Liverpool the city was a dump in the 50's, he has a song called "the otherside of Liverpool" crap song, but he kind of justifies his words in it
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #42: May 29, 2010 12:22:55 pm
      I see Court's point, the Beatles do get massively overhyped. People will talk about them, and exaggerate how great they were. I think they make good music, but not to the scale that I would go out of my way to listen to them.

Anyway, David Bowie is basically the God of the 70's ;)
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #43: May 29, 2010 07:26:11 pm
      You have to remember though, when Ringo lived in Liverpool the city was a dump in the 50's, he has a song called "the otherside of Liverpool" crap song, but he kind of justifies his words in it

Sorry but that's bollocks.

Ken Dodd, Ricky Tomlinson, Geoffrey Hughes are probably all around a similar age of Ringo and they didn't feel the need to F**k off and slag the city off for all it's worth.

I don't mind people leaving the city, it's those that leave as quickly as possible then slag the city off that gave them their break anyway. Ringo, Cilla Black, Paul O'Grady (although I think he's from the Wirral). They can't wait to put the boot in.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      Reply #44: May 31, 2010 01:11:07 am
      I think people generally tend to gauge bands and groups by the simple gauge of record sales. I think it was 2009 0r 2010 that the Beatles finally took down Elvis as the most record sales.  But I dont even consider Elvis a true all around musicain like the Beatles.  Elvis never wrote his own music and that alone should be enough to get him removed from the great Musical groups or "Musicians".  The term Musician, by definition is someone who writes lyrics and musicm which Elvis didn't do.

Every Beatles album, changed the music for that day. Not one Beatles album sounded like the previous.  The only exception being Strawberry Fields and Sgt Pepper, but they were both originally intended to be sold as one single album. However they split them up and sold them individually.  Every album was a wake up call for other musical groups. It showed the groups of the day how to create new sounds and use recording to do it.

The only time a Beatles album was influenced by another group was "Pet Sounds" by the Beach Boys, which Influenced "Sgt Pepper". But "Pet Sounds" was Influenced by "Rubber Soul". So, the Beatles influenced their own Influence.  When McCartney heard Pet Sounds he took the Beatles in a new direction. When Brian Wilson heard Rubber Soul he made Pet Sounds.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,255 posts | 2821 
      Reply #45: Jul 09, 2010 05:49:06 pm
      If you listen to the entire back catalogue of the Beatles you'd do well to find 5 songs that would not have been hits had they released them or passed them over to someone else to release.
      redruths
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 44 posts |
      Reply #46: Jul 10, 2010 11:34:53 pm
      I'm not a Beatles fan but it was almost 50 years ago when they were at their peak so a lot of their stuff probably doesn't sound fantastic now , but they basically invented what it is to be a pop/rock band and a hell of a lot of bands since wouldn't sound like they do or even exist without them
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #47: Jul 12, 2010 01:55:27 am
      I'm just watching sings the beatles on BBC HD which is a load of covers of Beatles songs from over the years and this shows how good they were. So many songs covered by different artist of differing styles yet the songs are still instantly recognisable and sound brilliant.

In my opinion they are music legends and have more classic songs than any other band and even if they are not your favourite band or if you don't like them you will still like loads of their music.
      redprint
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 636 posts | 23 
      Reply #48: Aug 09, 2010 04:03:33 pm
      They were Genius!  Changed popular music.  Look at the progression from Love me do in 1963 to The Revolver Album in 1966.  it's astonishing!!  3 years and their range of music changed enormously.  what other band did that before or since.  all the greats acknowledge what they did.  and never underestimate Pauls influence either.  Lennon was the innovator, but Paul was the driving force.  Lennon is credited with legendry status for many many incredible songs, but Mcartney wrote yesterday and the lyrics are simple but brilliant.  A day in the life is just a stunning record and uses lyrics from both.  they bounced ideas off each other. 

as for the scouse accent, well the first footage of them in 62 or 63 definitely has them speaking in a liverpool accent, but then they started travelling all over the world and as happens to anyone, the accent became diluted.

The older you get, the more you can appreciate just how special they were.  I missed the lot, as they split up before I was born, but my Dad introduced them to me when I was about 10.
      redprint
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 636 posts | 23 
      Reply #49: Aug 09, 2010 04:06:37 pm
      I see Court's point, the Beatles do get massively overhyped. People will talk about them, and exaggerate how great they were. I think they make good music, but not to the scale that I would go out of my way to listen to them.

Anyway, David Bowie is basically the God of the 70's ;)
      and he was influenced by?????????????????  you guessed it.........The Beatles!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #50: Aug 11, 2010 12:13:34 pm
      But, since that interview on Jonathon Ross by Ringo the F***ing gobs***e Starr, I've never listened to a Beatles song in the same way. After saying he F***ing hated the city, my city, and only came back because it was the Capital Of Culture is a F***ing disgrace. And I hate the c**t with a passion for it. I think he said there was a street named after him that he's walked down once. He's never returned to his arl school. He hates ever coming back to Liverpool, despite his family still being here.

Ungrateful F***ing c**t he is. The city that made him and gave him his chance, and now he just shits on us like so many Scouse celebrities to once they hit the big time. Rather see their name up in lights down south or across the pond in America than be idolised by the people who put you there in the first place.

I'm not apologising for my words either. Ringo is a c**t. And his opinion on my city has changed the way I look at the Beatles.

I wouldn't worry mate, Ringo wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,868 posts | 165 
      Reply #51: Aug 14, 2010 11:10:52 pm
      Not my cup of tea, but you can't deny they wrote some catchy tunes.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #52: Aug 15, 2010 08:42:01 pm
      Just been to Las Vegas and saw this show.....one word to describe it - AWESOME

the beatles cirque du soleil las vegas

The Beatles music will live on forever.

Micheal.Lfc
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts |
      Reply #53: Sep 13, 2010 04:57:20 pm
      The Beatles in my opinion are the greatest band ever, John Lennon and Paul McCartney wether people like them or not are musical geniuses, in those short years the band was together the great wealth of music they wrote is simply amazing. From Please Please me to Rubber Soul to Sgt.Peppers lonely hearts club band to abbey road they where just miles ahead of everyone else at the time they are as big now as they were then in my opinion. I think when most people think of The Beatles they think of their early stuff such as love me do she loves you etc etc although i too love their early stuff but people seem to overlook them due to their early stuff, if you handed a newcomer to the Beatles a copy of the white album or even let it be I'm pretty sure they wouldn't belive that was the same band that recorded love me do as i said the Beatles = geniuses
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #54: Sep 18, 2010 03:16:14 pm
      They were great during that era and they are still great, deservely so as no other band comes near to them during that era and they had a very big influenced on the mucic industry, now someone mentioned Paul Mccartney is a bluenose and i'll throw everything out of the hosue that got to to with that blues**t. I still do spin the cd from time to time and I don't get tired of it. They're a legend, simply said.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #55: Sep 18, 2010 03:36:24 pm
      Not my cup of tea, but you can't deny they wrote some catchy tunes.
      Understatement of the this century and the last matey.
      How many bands have split up and the bandmembers have achieved legendery status as individual entities while their origonal role is held in a higher estimation, this on a global scale - if not beyond....maybe even Across The Universe.
      « Last Edit: Sep 18, 2010 03:43:47 pm by stuey »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #56: Sep 18, 2010 04:43:56 pm
      Amazed at the venomous hate spouted at Ringo Starr on this thread! Yeah he seemed like a self indulgent tw*t when he said that about Liverpool but to say that you think less of The Beatles music because of those comments is nothing short of ridiculous! You slate Ringo but what about John Lennon? What a lousy father he was to Julian Lennon and admittedly some of his solo work was pretentious sh*te! But that doesn't make me think lesser of The Beatles or his incredible influence in music.

Still I think Paul McCartney was the greatest Beatle.  :)
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #57: Dec 03, 2010 04:42:23 pm
      Amazed at the venomous hate spouted at Ringo Starr on this thread! Yeah he seemed like a self indulgent tw*t when he said that about Liverpool but to say that you think less of The Beatles music because of those comments is nothing short of ridiculous! You slate Ringo but what about John Lennon? What a lousy father he was to Julian Lennon and admittedly some of his solo work was pretentious sh*te! But that doesn't make me think lesser of The Beatles or his incredible influence in music.

Still I think Paul McCartney was the greatest Beatle.  :)

Very very true.

Do you know Lennon actually said some kids are made with love, (refering to Shaun) some are made with champagne (talking about Julian)  For that comment alone i will always think of John - the person - as a knob.

And its true, 90% of his solo work was sh*te, he even got out-sold by Ringo at one point in the 70's.  Fact.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #58: Dec 03, 2010 06:05:14 pm

Still I think Paul McCartney was the greatest Beatle.  :)

Pete Best was still a far better drummer though!!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #59: Dec 04, 2010 02:51:40 pm
      Very very true.

Do you know Lennon actually said some kids are made with love, (refering to Shaun) some are made with champagne (talking about Julian)  For that comment alone I will always think of John - the person - as a knob.

And its true, 90% of his solo work was sh*te, he even got out-sold by Ringo at one point in the 70's.  Fact.

And deservedly so. Ringo produced some delightful records during that time. Photograph co written by Ringo and George is one of the best Beatles solo songs ever. Almost makes it better than anything Lennon produced. But no Beatle had as great a solo career as George.

Photograph Ringo Starr
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #60: Dec 04, 2010 06:11:01 pm
      Not my cup of tea, but legends nonetheless.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #61: Dec 04, 2010 09:22:12 pm
      I agree completely.
      They are excellent but if you look through lots of their songs, like even bands like Westlife and Take That today have music to compare with them imo!
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #62: Dec 04, 2010 09:22:25 pm
      And Queen were better!!!
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,848 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #63: Dec 04, 2010 09:27:46 pm
      One of those things you had to live through to fully appreciate ( yep i'm that old ;D !) from being a raw band who could just about play a tune to cutting edge albums like sgt pepper's and abbey road ,the Beatles dragged UK music to the top of the world and left the Americans behind ! the Beatles were legends to me and always will be

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #64: Dec 04, 2010 09:31:20 pm
      I agree completely.
      They are excellent but if you look through lots of their songs, like even bands like Westlife and Take That today have music to compare with them imo!
      Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha.Seriously 47 years of people buying their records in the millions songs Covered by everyone as far back as Sinatra.
      Ill informed opinions take the time to really go through their back cataloges and you will find everything in it.
      you dont have to like them but you cant go saying they are overhyped without listening to their stuff and I dont mean just a couple of records on the radio.
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #65: Dec 08, 2010 08:23:43 pm

Personally for me, The Beatles mean at first freedom, then optimism.

And not many artists were so much associated with their native city as The Beatles were. Everywhere they are known as boys from Liverpool - "Liverpudlian foursome".

Then, I didn't find any offensive things about Liverpool from Ringo in the interview with J. Ross
      What he said

Ross: “What do you miss about Liverpool when you’re not there.”

Ringo: (laughter)

Ross: “I didn’t know that would get laughter . . . Is there anything you miss about Liverpool?”

Ringo: “Er, no. . . Look I love Liverpool. I was a child in Liverpool. I grew up in Liverpool. My family members are in Liverpool. But you know. . . .
      I had to tell the audience as it was so excited that I was this close to coming back. But I had a great time up there at the weekend [during the opening ceremony]. I did.”

From later interview with Larry King

KING: You upset folks in Liverpool when you said during a BBC interview that there was nothing you missed about the place?

STARR: I know. I’m being interviewed. The guy is very humorous. We were having a lot of fun and ten people got upset about it, and the other millions knew I was having fun. I had just seen — that weekend that we were in Liverpool, I had just seen all of my family. We had a tea for 27 of my family members and friends. Of course, you miss them. You know what I mean? I haven’t lived there for over 40 years. Besides, only the family — I love the family, but, you know, I’m not going back to the neighborhood I was brought up in.

That's normal for me he misses only his family in Liverpool. Cause with me it is the same - when I was living away from my native town - I missed my family only. But I can't say it means I hated or despised my native town.

And as I know he was the only one who kept good relationships with the other three Beatles after break-up.

Love the most his song for George Harrison - Never without you

Ringo Starr - Never Without You
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #66: Dec 08, 2010 08:32:25 pm
      Personally for me, The Beatles mean at first freedom, then optimism.

And not many artists were so much associated with their native city as The Beatles were. Everywhere they are known as boys from Liverpool - "Liverpudlian foursome".

Then, I didn't find any offensive things about Liverpool from Ringo in the interview with J. Ross
      From later interview with Larry King

That's normal for me he misses only his family in Liverpool. Cause with me it is the same - when I was living away from my native town - I missed my family only. But I can't say it means I hated or despised my native town.

And as I know he was the only one who kept good relationships with the other three Beatles after break-up.

Love the most his song for George Harrison - Never without you

Ringo Starr - Never Without You

Exactly. Some people are just very very sensitive!

Quick Reply