Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

The Beatles - Overhyped? Music legends?

Read 14074 times
      redruths
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 44 posts |
      Re: The Beatles - Overhyped? Music legends?
      Reply #46: Jul 10, 2010 11:34:53 pm
      I'm not a Beatles fan but it was almost 50 years ago when they were at their peak so a lot of their stuff probably doesn't sound fantastic now , but they basically invented what it is to be a pop/rock band and a hell of a lot of bands since wouldn't sound like they do or even exist without them
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,252 posts | 4931 
      Reply #47: Jul 12, 2010 01:55:27 am
      I'm just watching sings the beatles on BBC HD which is a load of covers of Beatles songs from over the years and this shows how good they were. So many songs covered by different artist of differing styles yet the songs are still instantly recognisable and sound brilliant.

In my opinion they are music legends and have more classic songs than any other band and even if they are not your favourite band or if you don't like them you will still like loads of their music.
      redprint
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 636 posts | 23 
      Reply #48: Aug 09, 2010 04:03:33 pm
      They were Genius!  Changed popular music.  Look at the progression from Love me do in 1963 to The Revolver Album in 1966.  it's astonishing!!  3 years and their range of music changed enormously.  what other band did that before or since.  all the greats acknowledge what they did.  and never underestimate Pauls influence either.  Lennon was the innovator, but Paul was the driving force.  Lennon is credited with legendry status for many many incredible songs, but Mcartney wrote yesterday and the lyrics are simple but brilliant.  A day in the life is just a stunning record and uses lyrics from both.  they bounced ideas off each other. 

as for the scouse accent, well the first footage of them in 62 or 63 definitely has them speaking in a liverpool accent, but then they started travelling all over the world and as happens to anyone, the accent became diluted.

The older you get, the more you can appreciate just how special they were.  I missed the lot, as they split up before I was born, but my Dad introduced them to me when I was about 10.
      redprint
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 636 posts | 23 
      Reply #49: Aug 09, 2010 04:06:37 pm
      I see Court's point, the Beatles do get massively overhyped. People will talk about them, and exaggerate how great they were. I think they make good music, but not to the scale that I would go out of my way to listen to them.

Anyway, David Bowie is basically the God of the 70's ;)
      and he was influenced by?????????????????  you guessed it.........The Beatles!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,204 posts | 8564 
      Reply #50: Aug 11, 2010 12:13:34 pm
      But, since that interview on Jonathon Ross by Ringo the F***ing gobs***e Starr, I've never listened to a Beatles song in the same way. After saying he F***ing hated the city, my city, and only came back because it was the Capital Of Culture is a F***ing disgrace. And I hate the c**t with a passion for it. I think he said there was a street named after him that he's walked down once. He's never returned to his arl school. He hates ever coming back to Liverpool, despite his family still being here.

Ungrateful F***ing c**t he is. The city that made him and gave him his chance, and now he just shits on us like so many Scouse celebrities to once they hit the big time. Rather see their name up in lights down south or across the pond in America than be idolised by the people who put you there in the first place.

I'm not apologising for my words either. Ringo is a c**t. And his opinion on my city has changed the way I look at the Beatles.

I wouldn't worry mate, Ringo wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,868 posts | 165 
      Reply #51: Aug 14, 2010 11:10:52 pm
      Not my cup of tea, but you can't deny they wrote some catchy tunes.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #52: Aug 15, 2010 08:42:01 pm
      Just been to Las Vegas and saw this show.....one word to describe it - AWESOME

the beatles cirque du soleil las vegas

The Beatles music will live on forever.

Micheal.Lfc
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts |
      Reply #53: Sep 13, 2010 04:57:20 pm
      The Beatles in my opinion are the greatest band ever, John Lennon and Paul McCartney wether people like them or not are musical geniuses, in those short years the band was together the great wealth of music they wrote is simply amazing. From Please Please me to Rubber Soul to Sgt.Peppers lonely hearts club band to abbey road they where just miles ahead of everyone else at the time they are as big now as they were then in my opinion. I think when most people think of The Beatles they think of their early stuff such as love me do she loves you etc etc although i too love their early stuff but people seem to overlook them due to their early stuff, if you handed a newcomer to the Beatles a copy of the white album or even let it be I'm pretty sure they wouldn't belive that was the same band that recorded love me do as i said the Beatles = geniuses
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #54: Sep 18, 2010 03:16:14 pm
      They were great during that era and they are still great, deservely so as no other band comes near to them during that era and they had a very big influenced on the mucic industry, now someone mentioned Paul Mccartney is a bluenose and i'll throw everything out of the hosue that got to to with that blues**t. I still do spin the cd from time to time and I don't get tired of it. They're a legend, simply said.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #55: Sep 18, 2010 03:36:24 pm
      Not my cup of tea, but you can't deny they wrote some catchy tunes.
      Understatement of the this century and the last matey.
      How many bands have split up and the bandmembers have achieved legendery status as individual entities while their origonal role is held in a higher estimation, this on a global scale - if not beyond....maybe even Across The Universe.
      « Last Edit: Sep 18, 2010 03:43:47 pm by stuey »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #56: Sep 18, 2010 04:43:56 pm
      Amazed at the venomous hate spouted at Ringo Starr on this thread! Yeah he seemed like a self indulgent tw*t when he said that about Liverpool but to say that you think less of The Beatles music because of those comments is nothing short of ridiculous! You slate Ringo but what about John Lennon? What a lousy father he was to Julian Lennon and admittedly some of his solo work was pretentious sh*te! But that doesn't make me think lesser of The Beatles or his incredible influence in music.

Still I think Paul McCartney was the greatest Beatle.  :)
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #57: Dec 03, 2010 04:42:23 pm
      Amazed at the venomous hate spouted at Ringo Starr on this thread! Yeah he seemed like a self indulgent tw*t when he said that about Liverpool but to say that you think less of The Beatles music because of those comments is nothing short of ridiculous! You slate Ringo but what about John Lennon? What a lousy father he was to Julian Lennon and admittedly some of his solo work was pretentious sh*te! But that doesn't make me think lesser of The Beatles or his incredible influence in music.

Still I think Paul McCartney was the greatest Beatle.  :)

Very very true.

Do you know Lennon actually said some kids are made with love, (refering to Shaun) some are made with champagne (talking about Julian)  For that comment alone i will always think of John - the person - as a knob.

And its true, 90% of his solo work was sh*te, he even got out-sold by Ringo at one point in the 70's.  Fact.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,204 posts | 8564 
      Reply #58: Dec 03, 2010 06:05:14 pm

Still I think Paul McCartney was the greatest Beatle.  :)

Pete Best was still a far better drummer though!!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #59: Dec 04, 2010 02:51:40 pm
      Very very true.

Do you know Lennon actually said some kids are made with love, (refering to Shaun) some are made with champagne (talking about Julian)  For that comment alone I will always think of John - the person - as a knob.

And its true, 90% of his solo work was sh*te, he even got out-sold by Ringo at one point in the 70's.  Fact.

And deservedly so. Ringo produced some delightful records during that time. Photograph co written by Ringo and George is one of the best Beatles solo songs ever. Almost makes it better than anything Lennon produced. But no Beatle had as great a solo career as George.

Photograph Ringo Starr
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #60: Dec 04, 2010 06:11:01 pm
      Not my cup of tea, but legends nonetheless.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #61: Dec 04, 2010 09:22:12 pm
      I agree completely.
      They are excellent but if you look through lots of their songs, like even bands like Westlife and Take That today have music to compare with them imo!
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #62: Dec 04, 2010 09:22:25 pm
      And Queen were better!!!
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,848 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #63: Dec 04, 2010 09:27:46 pm
      One of those things you had to live through to fully appreciate ( yep i'm that old ;D !) from being a raw band who could just about play a tune to cutting edge albums like sgt pepper's and abbey road ,the Beatles dragged UK music to the top of the world and left the Americans behind ! the Beatles were legends to me and always will be

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #64: Dec 04, 2010 09:31:20 pm
      I agree completely.
      They are excellent but if you look through lots of their songs, like even bands like Westlife and Take That today have music to compare with them imo!
      Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha.Seriously 47 years of people buying their records in the millions songs Covered by everyone as far back as Sinatra.
      Ill informed opinions take the time to really go through their back cataloges and you will find everything in it.
      you dont have to like them but you cant go saying they are overhyped without listening to their stuff and I dont mean just a couple of records on the radio.
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #65: Dec 08, 2010 08:23:43 pm

Personally for me, The Beatles mean at first freedom, then optimism.

And not many artists were so much associated with their native city as The Beatles were. Everywhere they are known as boys from Liverpool - "Liverpudlian foursome".

Then, I didn't find any offensive things about Liverpool from Ringo in the interview with J. Ross
      What he said

Ross: “What do you miss about Liverpool when you’re not there.”

Ringo: (laughter)

Ross: “I didn’t know that would get laughter . . . Is there anything you miss about Liverpool?”

Ringo: “Er, no. . . Look I love Liverpool. I was a child in Liverpool. I grew up in Liverpool. My family members are in Liverpool. But you know. . . .
      I had to tell the audience as it was so excited that I was this close to coming back. But I had a great time up there at the weekend [during the opening ceremony]. I did.”

From later interview with Larry King

KING: You upset folks in Liverpool when you said during a BBC interview that there was nothing you missed about the place?

STARR: I know. I’m being interviewed. The guy is very humorous. We were having a lot of fun and ten people got upset about it, and the other millions knew I was having fun. I had just seen — that weekend that we were in Liverpool, I had just seen all of my family. We had a tea for 27 of my family members and friends. Of course, you miss them. You know what I mean? I haven’t lived there for over 40 years. Besides, only the family — I love the family, but, you know, I’m not going back to the neighborhood I was brought up in.

That's normal for me he misses only his family in Liverpool. Cause with me it is the same - when I was living away from my native town - I missed my family only. But I can't say it means I hated or despised my native town.

And as I know he was the only one who kept good relationships with the other three Beatles after break-up.

Love the most his song for George Harrison - Never without you

Ringo Starr - Never Without You
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #66: Dec 08, 2010 08:32:25 pm
      Personally for me, The Beatles mean at first freedom, then optimism.

And not many artists were so much associated with their native city as The Beatles were. Everywhere they are known as boys from Liverpool - "Liverpudlian foursome".

Then, I didn't find any offensive things about Liverpool from Ringo in the interview with J. Ross
      From later interview with Larry King

That's normal for me he misses only his family in Liverpool. Cause with me it is the same - when I was living away from my native town - I missed my family only. But I can't say it means I hated or despised my native town.

And as I know he was the only one who kept good relationships with the other three Beatles after break-up.

Love the most his song for George Harrison - Never without you

Ringo Starr - Never Without You

Exactly. Some people are just very very sensitive!

Quick Reply