Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Iconic Photographs

Read 15363 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Iconic Photographs
      Sep 19, 2009 03:48:14 pm
      The Most Iconic Photographs Ever Taken

Timothy H. O’Sullivan – Battle of Gettysburg

This photograph has become synonymous with The Battle of Gettysburg, which was the most bloody battle of the American Civil War. Photographer Timothy H. O’Sullivan documented and recorded the battlefield, and this picture became a sensation. For many, this was their first chance to see, first hand, the true extent of the Civil War. However, it was not until 40 years after the battle that the pictures were mass produced, as photo-engraving had not been established. The picture shows dead confederate soldiers on the battlefield, and has earned its place in history as an iconic photograph.

Lawrence Beitler – Lynching

Lawrence Beitler took this iconic photograph on August 7, 1930, showing the lynching of Thomas Shipp and Abram Smith. It sold thousands of copies, which Beitler stayed up for 10 days and nights printing them. It has become iconic over the years as it is one of the best and most recognisable images of lynchingwhich at the time was commonplace, but now serves only as a reminder of the pre-Civil Rights era. The photo shows a crowd that have turned out to view the lynching, and the audience a mixture of anger and fulfillment. The photo was so popular it has been the inspiration for many poems and songs down the years.

Joe Rosenthal – Raising the Flag on Iwo Jima

Raising the Flag on Iwo Jima is an historic photograph taken on February 23, 1945, by Joe Rosenthal. It depicts five United States Marines and a U.S. Navy corpsman raising the flag of the United States atop Mount Suribachi during the Battle of Iwo Jima in World War II. It became the only photograph to win the Pulitzer Prize for Photography in the same year as its publication, and came to be regarded in the United States as one of the most significant and
      recognizable images of the war, and possibly the most reproduced photograph of all time.

Alberto Korda – Che Guevara

Alberto Korda’s well known photograph of Marxist revolutionary Che Guevara, titled ‘Guerrillero Heroico’ or ‘Heroic Guerrilla’ has become a symbol of the 20th centry. It shows Che, as he was known, at a memorial service for victims of the La Coubre explosion. The picture depicts the then-31 year-old’s stoic and character and now appear on T-shirts, tattoos, murials and walls all around the world. Despite being one of the most reproduced images in history, Korda, a lifelong Communist and supporter of the Cuban Revolution, claimed no payment for his picture. The rights of the picture are now disputed. Still, it remains one of the most iconic photographs of the 20th century.

Eddie Adams – Nguyễn Ngọc Loan executing Nguyễn Văn LĂ©m

Most of the iconic images of the 20th and 21st century have owned their photographers Pulitzer prizes for their work, and this image is no exception. Eddie Adams was famous for his portraits of celebrties and for being a prolific photojournalist, having been in 13 wars. However, possibly his most famous image is of the execution of Nguyen Van LÈm by Nguyen Ngoc Loan during the Vietnam War. Adams later apologized in person to General Nguyen and his family for the irreparable damage it did to Loan’s honor while he was alive.

Moon Landing

Possibly the most talked-about, debated and controversial picture in history, the picture of the moon landing has been seen as a feat of human engineering at its best, and has been speculated as a hoax by contractors of the event. Those in doubt of the authenticity of the picture have come up with many suggestions as to why and how it might have been faked. However, none of the accusations have been proved correct and the debate continues in some circles. For many, though, it provides a sense of accomplishment and acheivement by the human race to send a man to the moon, which for years was considered an impossibility. The American flag also installs national pride in the US as the winners of the so-called ‘Space Race’, and their establishment as the world’s one remaining super power.

Huynh Cong Ut – Napalm Strike

This photo of a naked and terrified young girl running towards Pulitzer prize-winning photographer Nick Ut has entered popular culture as a symbol of the horror of the Vietnam War. It was taken during the American bombing of the village of Trang Bang, Viet Nam. However there has been much controversy over the events depicted in the photo. It is suggested that American bombers had nothing to do with this event and that there have been many derogatory and misleading comments about the American troops in regard to this photo. Nevertheless, it is said that this photo ended the war in Vietnam and served as an icon for the peace movement that was prevelent in the 1970s.

Stanley J. Forman – Fire on Marlborough Street

On July 22, 1975, Stanley J. Forman took this infamous photograph while working for the Boston Herald. He climbed on the back of a fire truck as it raced towards a reported fire at Marlborough Street. Just as the crew had arrived at the scene, a young woman and small girl fell from an apartment above. The woman died instantly, but the young girl lived. This photo earned Forman a Pulitzer prize, and in addition, convinced Boston and several other cities to introduce more comprehensive fire safety laws.

Mike Wells – Uganda

This example of emotive imagery is of child in Uganda holding hands with a missionary. The stark contrast between the two people serves as a reminder of the gulf in wealth between developed and developing countries. Mike Wells, the photographer, took this picture to show the extent of starvation in Africa. He took it for a magazine, and when they went 5 months without printing it, he decided to enter it into a competition. However, Wells has stated that he is against winning a compeition with a picture of a starving boy.

Kevin Carter – Vulture Stalking a Child

This shocking photo depicts a starving Sudanese child being stalked by a patient vulture. It is a horrific picture that gave people a true look at the dire condition in Sub-Saharan Africa. Kevin Carter, who took the photo, won a Pulitzer Prize for this work. Kevin then came under a lot of scrutiny for spending over 20 minutes setting up the photo instead of helping the child. Three months after taking the photo, he committed suicide.

Tank Man – Jeff Widener

Often considered the most iconic photograph in history, ‘tank man’ or ‘the unknown rebel’ shows an act of courage and defiance and earned the anonymous man widespread fame. It took place during the protests at Beijing’s Tiananmen Square on June 5, 1989, and has subsequently become a symbol of the end of the Cold War era, and one of the most famous photographs of the 20th century. Four people claim to have took photos of the event, but the most reproduced image, and the most famous was by Jeff Widener.

Richard Drew – The Falling Man

“The Falling Man” is a photograph taken by Richard Drew at 9:41:15 a.m., on September 11, 2001 of a man falling from the World Trade Center during the September 11 attacks in New York City. The man in the photohraph remains unknown. Many people find the image disturbing because it is a horrific image of what people had to resort to during the attacks. The picture is deceptive, however, as it suggest that man was falling straight down, however, this is just one of many photographs of his fall. It is evident from these other pictures that he tumbling out of control.

http://www.reasonpad.com/2009/06/the-most-iconic-photographs-ever-taken/
      MsGerrard
      Re: Iconic Photographs
      Reply #1: Sep 19, 2009 03:54:56 pm
      Those pictures were a bit hard to take Huyton.....I think the one of the starving child with the Vulture lurking really made me gasp with horror.

Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #2: Sep 19, 2009 03:55:57 pm
      Wow.

Some of those pictures are really hard to look at, for example, the vulture stalking a child and the falling man.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #3: Sep 19, 2009 03:59:27 pm
      Scary this.

I wouldn't call them iconic.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #4: Sep 19, 2009 04:03:09 pm

They are, because they are part of our History.
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #5: Sep 19, 2009 05:50:27 pm
      Must be wierd to have your claim to fame be as a result of someone else misfortune
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #6: Sep 19, 2009 08:16:01 pm
      I'm sat here with tears glasing my eyes and my whole body taken up by goosebumps. I haven't seen some of those before. Wow.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #7: Sep 20, 2009 12:27:00 am
      Some of those I haven't seen before.

Good post.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #8: Sep 20, 2009 12:51:50 am
      The most shocking I thought were the lynching photo and the one of the fire on Marlborough Street.

The vulture photo one got my attention because of the photographer's name. As it was also the inspiration for the song Kevin Carter by the Manic Street Preachers.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #9: Sep 20, 2009 12:52:37 am
      ^ Mine of knowledge tonight.

Did not know that.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,885 posts | 6817 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #10: Sep 20, 2009 07:20:56 am
      Those photos were very hard to look at. I'm speechless.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #11: Sep 20, 2009 07:21:32 am
      Hard to comment on such photos.

The initial reaction for most people I imagine is one of outrage. In the moment, it is hard to imagine why someone will stand behind a camera and take pictures instead of helping, in some of the cases at least.

That being said, for the majority of the photos the photographer is powerless to influence the events at hand. The images serve as a powerful reminder of the worst we are capable of, and have helped change history for the better. Still, it doesn't make it any easier to see.
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #12: Sep 20, 2009 10:48:20 am
      Some of the pictures are truely shocking
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #13: Sep 20, 2009 10:55:49 am

I didn't actually realise there were female members of the KKK?
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #14: Sep 20, 2009 11:31:52 am
      Good post Huyton some of those images are hard to take.

I thinkif comments were made on all photos describing the event it would be good.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,885 posts | 6817 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #15: Sep 20, 2009 11:36:28 am
       ::)

Good spot that Ross, never knew that myself.
      LFCMau
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,747 posts | 11 
      • 100% LFC, without doubt!
      Reply #16: Sep 20, 2009 12:09:39 pm
      Shocking!
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #17: Sep 20, 2009 12:23:38 pm
      Very good thread. 

Edna Cintron holds on to the facade of the World Trade Centre's North Tower at 9.41am on September 11th 2001. Nobody above the impact zone of the first plane to hit on that day in The North Tower survived the attacks. Edna was later seen to fall from the building, though whether she jumped or fell is unclear.

Meet Edna Cintron.

tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,288 posts | 937 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #18: Sep 21, 2009 08:45:24 pm
      Wow
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #19: Sep 21, 2009 08:49:31 pm
      Some of these photos are hard to take, but this is an interesting thread and it's good to learn about things I didn't have a clue about.
      LFCBAFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,539 posts | 30 
      • Scousers rule the country!
      Reply #20: Sep 21, 2009 08:56:26 pm

Jesse Owens wins in Berlin

Martin Luther Kings famous speech

Winston Churchills famous victory sign
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #21: Sep 30, 2009 06:42:53 pm
      I have seen some of them before but they never fail to make me shocked. the one that caught my eye was of the white person holding the persons hand and how thin it was.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #22: Sep 30, 2009 08:04:10 pm

I didn't actually realise there were female members of the KKK?
      The immature sad bas**rds must be cross dressers.

Quick Reply