Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

What do these people do?

Read 8434 times
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Re: What do these people do?
      Reply #23: Sep 24, 2009 11:34:58 am
      Are the directors the Chairmen's kids? Have they done some legacy planning?
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #24: Sep 24, 2009 11:49:57 am
      Are the directors the Chairmen's kids? Have they done some legacy planning?

I'd imagine them to be non-executive (guilty by association :D) but yes, they probably would inherit the club if H&G were both to accidentally on purpose die in a tragic accident  :f_whistle: ::)
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #25: Sep 24, 2009 12:01:50 pm
      Everyone of these faceless people are true supporters of H and G  or they wouldnt be in the position theyre in.. and therfore not standing for whats best for Liverpool F.C. Those two tw*ts would have got rid of Rafa only they now know they would never have been allowed to set foot in Liverpool again if they did. The truth is though theres always been people like this at clubs , you know , people who we never see or know, but the difference in the past was that the supporters trusted these people to do whats right for the club. Obviously no more.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #26: Sep 24, 2009 12:32:12 pm
      What's the background of the guy in place of Rick Parry anyway?
      H&G are running this thing like a bloody private equity business.

Are these two shareholders paying themselves dividends every year? They better not, when the club is in debt. They bought the club using the banks' money and here the club has to slog like hell to fulfill its interest obligations. Where have the prize money and proceeds on player sales gone to? 

The nature of private equity investment is as follows:

1. Fork out as little cash as possible for an acquisition, borrow as much as possible to finance it.
      2. Push down the debt and let the profits of the business take care of the interest payments.
      3. Strip out as much cash as you can and pay yourself dividends whenever possible.
      4. Once you have sucked the company dry, IPO the business or sell for a profit.
      5. Use part of the sale proceeds to repay the outstanding loan.
      6. You earn a handsome return on your investment outlay (the key was you borrowed a lot).

It's getting worrying. Excess money goes into their pockets, not on transfers.
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #27: Sep 24, 2009 02:04:07 pm
      What's the background of the guy in place of Rick Parry anyway?
      H&G are running this thing like a bloody private equity business.

Are these two shareholders paying themselves dividends every year? They better not, when the club is in debt. They bought the club using the banks' money and here the club has to slog like hell to fulfill its interest obligations. Where have the prize money and proceeds on player sales gone to? 

The nature of private equity investment is as follows:

1. Fork out as little cash as possible for an acquisition, borrow as much as possible to finance it.
      2. Push down the debt and let the profits of the business take care of the interest payments.
      3. Strip out as much cash as you can and pay yourself dividends whenever possible.
      4. Once you have sucked the company dry, IPO the business or sell for a profit.
      5. Use part of the sale proceeds to repay the outstanding loan.
      6. You earn a handsome return on your investment outlay (the key was you borrowed a lot).

It's getting worrying. Excess money goes into their pockets, not on transfers.

Unfortunately Ruth, football has become a private equity business game. You can guarantee that they are paying dividends to themselves, as chairman and owners they would be picking up a "salary" as such somewhere. The main problem is they didnt put much outlay down in the first place and used the estimated value of the club against the amount borrowed. They must have borrowed masses in the first place to have such high interest repayments, with very little put down (like getting a 150% mortgage with no deposit!).

This suggests one of two things -

1) The valuation and the balancing of the books and projection forecasts were way out of line.

or

2) As Ruth says, they were in it for a quick buck so to speak, unfortunately for them the "recession" struck and the club is way under the value they financed at.

So in laymans - H&G bought a business valued at £500 million (theoretically) with no input (deposit) of their own so the interest was always going to be huge. Then the value dropped significantly (like house prices etc.), they didnt want to sell off at a loss (which would have been wise) and now they are constantly refinancing the deal at a detriment to the club itself. They have two options, ride it out until the value goes up (we need to win things for this to happen) or suck the club dry (Leeds anyone?).

And for those hoping for a buyout from india or somewhere, this would have happened if someone came in which i dont believe has regardless of what the media say, as H&G would be champing at the bit if it did.
      paulboo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,146 posts | 10 
      Reply #28: Sep 24, 2009 03:22:52 pm
      And to Moores and Parry we once again say ' cheers mate'. This whole disgusting farce started at their door and if its true that they say they' feel let down at what is happening to the club', then why not try to do something right and use your vast wealth and your obvious business contacts and try to do something.., anything to try and rectify the stae youve put our beloved Liverpool in.. YOU TWO DID THIS TO US,  so try and save the club you claim to love from these pair of clowns that YOU let in. And i say claim to love very lightly, because if i was you id use every penny i could to put right what ive done to Liverpool.
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #29: Sep 24, 2009 03:54:26 pm
      Just been reading the official weekly mag thing and came across a list of people, but what do they do? (I'd like a proper answer rather than the predictable "f**k the club up")

Co-chairmen
      G.N. Gillett Jnr
      T.O. Hicks

Directors
      F.L. Gillett
      T.O. Hicks Jnr

Managing Director
      C.M.C. Purslow

Group Chief Financial Officer
      P. Nash

Commercial Director
      I. Ayre

Team Manager
      Rafael Benitez

Hon. Life President
      D.R. Moores

Hon. Life Vice Presidents
      T.D. Smith
      K.E.B Clayton FCA
      J.D. Burns
      J.H. Cresswell ACA

So can anybody shed light on what these people do for the club?

I'll give me take on this.

Chairman - Basically do nothing but sit around and have the highest level of authority of the club. Most power and it probably explains why our club is in such dire state.

Directors - Sons of Hicks and Gillette, to supposedly be supporters of their fathers and will always sit in the ship with them. Act as assistants and probably have the next highest say after their dads.

Managing Director - Oversees the operations of the club and reports to the directors and chairman. Both the commercial and footballing side. Most talks to other directors and of course, the manager.

Financial officer - Calculates the finances we have? Handles the debt that we have to pay off? Dishes out the transfer funds (non existent ::)). Makes sure there's a balance. Reports to managing director on his reports.

Commercial director - oversees the advertising of the club. Makes sure the fanbase is there throughout the world. Stuff like that. Make sure we're up to date and works hand in hand with the managing director to seal commercial and advertising deals.

Manager - Shouts from the touchline? Oversees tactics? The one and only who makes Liverpool tick ;)

Honourary Life Presidents/Vice-Presidents - Honoured by the club as they've probably served the club well. Have a say in things and will be in this position throughout their whole life. Looks more like people who make a living out of doing nothing.
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #30: Sep 24, 2009 04:16:33 pm
      I'll give me take on this.

Chairman - Basically do nothing but sit around and have the highest level of authority of the club. Most power and it probably explains why our club is in such dire state.

Directors - Sons of Hicks and Gillette, to supposedly be supporters of their fathers and will always sit in the ship with them. Act as assistants and probably have the next highest say after their dads.

Managing Director - Oversees the operations of the club and reports to the directors and chairman. Both the commercial and footballing side. Most talks to other directors and of course, the manager.

Financial officer - Calculates the finances we have? Handles the debt that we have to pay off? Dishes out the transfer funds (non existent ::)). Makes sure there's a balance. Reports to managing director on his reports.

Commercial director - oversees the advertising of the club. Makes sure the fanbase is there throughout the world. Stuff like that. Make sure we're up to date and works hand in hand with the managing director to seal commercial and advertising deals.

Manager - Shouts from the touchline? Oversees tactics? The one and only who makes Liverpool tick ;)

Honourary Life Presidents/Vice-Presidents - Honoured by the club as they've probably served the club well. Have a say in things and will be in this position throughout their whole life. Looks more like people who make a living out of doing nothing.

So basically what I said?
      redsonfire

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #31: Sep 24, 2009 04:24:41 pm

Apparently didn't read your post :D

Just got to it now and yeah, more or less the same. Looks like I've got some potential for business, I just thought them out on the spot with my common sense? ;)
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #32: Sep 24, 2009 04:37:02 pm
      Apparently didn't read your post :D

Just got to it now and yeah, more or less the same. Looks like I've got some potential for business, I just thought them out on the spot with my common sense? ;)

Yeah you do, spot on about everyone and right about the Honorariums.

Quick Reply