Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

Sami Hyypia Player Thread

Read 30227 times
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Re: Sami wants to sign new contract
      Reply #23: Feb 26, 2008 10:02:34 am
      Not only would I keep Sami on the playing staff, I would also make sure he stays at Liverpool FC as part of the back room staff team for the next 10 years too.

He and Carra would make a truly brilliant coaching and management team in years to come. The man loves the club and the fans love Sami... of course he won't be able to play many games when Skrtel and Agger click (praying here...) but would he be a fantastic influence off the pitch?? ..too F***ing right he would.

The man is full of character, in fact, if memory serves me right, he was the VERY FIRST player to back Rafa in his hour of need, screw the silence he was supporting his boss, well done that man!

Liverpool's success legacy has been built on key individuals acting as references for the players, fans... and owner/s over many years - this must continue in eras to come.

Sami must stay, it would be foolish to let him go to Foolham. One year playing contract with two years coaching contract to follow that.

Does anyone know if Sami has started on his coaching badges yet? If he hasn't he should... I wonder if Rafa would back him on that score, because if Rafa loves the club as much as he says he does (and I believe he does) then he should look after the future and that means the team of players who will become the next generation of leaders at LFC. Rafa is a total one-off (a la Shankly and Paisley, and I mean that) ...but the playing staff becoming managers of future LFC set-ups is a must IMHO.

« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2008 10:05:16 am by donrafael »
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #24: Feb 26, 2008 10:05:21 am
      IMO Sami is aging like a fine wine, he is just getting better and better! We would be crazy to get rid of him, his current form is spectacular, and we will be in a great position with regards to our central defense when all our boys are back to full fitness. We will have excellent cover, should (god forbid) any of them get injured in the future or during periods where they may be suspended. Plus there is the added benefit of each man fighting for his place, this can only motivate them more. We have a good balance of youth and experience at the moment, why would we want to change this?
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #25: Feb 26, 2008 10:10:22 am
      I would give him a contract without a doubt, especially with two young CB's (skirty and agger) and all the reserve CB's. His expierience is priceless and maybe he can teach skirty and agger how to snuff out attacks before the opposition even think of it themselves like he's been doing this season.

I hope he would eventually be a defense coach because he is a legend in every sense of the word.
      Trev
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 24 posts |
      Reply #26: Feb 26, 2008 10:23:00 am
      Defo keep Sami he's been marvelous for our club right back from his days with Henchoz up till today a fantastic servant who as someone already mentioned deserves a place on the coaching staff when his playing days are finally over, keep going big man

YNWA
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #27: Feb 26, 2008 11:17:47 am
      He has another 2 seasons in him i would have thought and then offer him a coaching role, he could have jumped ship to fulham when he was put out the team buy agger but he kept his head down and has proved he is still as good as he was a few seasons ago, except I get the feelin he has lost some of the pace he had ;D
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #28: Feb 26, 2008 11:21:16 am
      ^ he never had much pace to begin with....
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #29: Feb 26, 2008 11:40:48 am
      ^ he never had much pace to begin with....

True, he was never a player that depended on his pace, and that's why he's kept going.

He's been a great servant to the club, if he's happy to stay then why not let him? He's shown this season that he still has the ability to play for us, and recent events have shown that on occassions not even four centre backs is enough. I'd like to see him taking on a bit part role next season & starting on his coaching badges, so that the following season he can retire from playing & take up a position on our coaching staff.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #30: Feb 26, 2008 11:46:33 am
      No disrespect to Sami, but of course he does, and so does his wife and kids, and not forgetting his agent. I like him a lot, but he really is slower than ever, but saying that I hope he stays, never moaned, always got on with his job, and can score a few too. (Juve 05 comes to mind)
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,059 posts | 2745 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #31: Feb 26, 2008 01:00:11 pm
      personally I think his experience could be vital in the dressing room definitely give him a contract. What a servant he has been to the club I have nothing but major respect for Sami
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #32: Feb 26, 2008 01:11:23 pm
      There's no way we can get rid of sami before he retires. He's part of the furniture at anfield at this stage and i definitley agree he would be an excellent defensive coach.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #33: Feb 26, 2008 01:24:11 pm
      I'd keep him for another year. But he would only play if others were being rested or others were injured. I think it's time now for Sami to step down as first choice, Skrtel & Agger should both be first choice pairings. Yes I think Jamie Carragher is very important to us but I just can't see him getting any fitter now.. he looks knackered in every game he now plays.
      sjkreds
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 142 posts |
      • Reincarnation anyone?
      Reply #34: Feb 26, 2008 01:44:21 pm
      No disrespect to Sami, but of course he does, and so does his wife and kids, and not forgetting his agent. I like him a lot, but he really is slower than ever, but saying that I hope he stays, never moaned, always got on with his job, and can score a few too. (Juve 05 comes to mind)

As said above, he never had much pace, but he makes up for that by using his many years of experience to read the game brilliantly.
      We should keep him without a doubt, and then offer him a role at the club on the coaching staff when he retires, with the servant he's been to anfiield i would like to see him play out his career here if possible.
      Jrwanderer
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 115 posts |
      • Team Spirit of Champions
      Reply #35: Feb 26, 2008 01:45:22 pm
      Sami deserves to see out his playing career at Anfield, as a thank you for the service and loyality he has shown us. Then I'd give him a coaching role.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #36: Feb 26, 2008 01:58:36 pm
      With Agger just back tonight and Skrtel not having been here long i think its safe to say Sami and Carra are still first choice partnership but Sami staying is an absolute must and then he should go into a coaching role.

I cant see rafa selling him anyway given what he has done for the club and for just 1 million, never.
      ste_macca
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,175 posts | 22 
      Reply #37: Feb 26, 2008 02:53:45 pm
      Deffo keep him,  would be ideal for a defensive coach, i really do hope he gets an extension to his current contract, i would love to go to see his testimonial game and he fully deserves one.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,059 posts | 2745 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #38: Feb 27, 2008 10:17:17 am
      can I just add that I feel Sami is the kinda player the club should hold on to after they retire to work with the youth set up coaching etc. and maybe as he works through the ranks he could be a future manager
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #39: Feb 27, 2008 11:54:23 am
      Let him stay i dont think he will get many game next season but his experience will be good for the squad he can hand out good advice to the younger players,it wouldnt be the same seeing Sami in another clubs shirt.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #40: Feb 27, 2008 11:55:04 am
      http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N158976080227-0908.htm

BOSS: SAMI HAS NOTHING TO PROVE
      Jimmy Rice 27 February 2008 

Rafa Benitez has revealed Sami Hyypia's future will not be decided until later in the season – but insists the big Finn has nothing to prove. 
      Hyypia yesterday spoke of his desire to remain at the club beyond his current contract, which is up in the summer.

Benitez said: "I was talking with him but he knows we have to wait a little bit. But I am really pleased with him. The question now is to see how he progresses, but he knows my thoughts.

"He doesn't have to prove anything. We know him and he knows why we have to analyse the situation.

"Every year he has been a key player for us. He's a centre-back with experience who's good in the air and who can play the ball.

"He is playing more games than we maybe expected this season but every game his performance is good."

Hyypia has spent nearly a decade at Anfield after being signed from Willem II by Gerard Houllier in 1999.

He was voted 38th in Liverpoolfc.tv's 100 Players Who Shook The Kop series and is regarded by most Liverpudlians as one of the club's greatest ever defenders.
      INGY
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #41: Feb 27, 2008 10:48:37 pm
      wouldn't give sami a new one, getting found out now, great servant tho.

have a look at this.

http://luketraynor.merseyblogs.co.uk/2008/02/a_team_of_carraghers.html#more

someone's suggesting in the comments that carra could only have one more year.

Reckon he's got a good three seasons in him at least still.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #42: Feb 27, 2008 10:59:18 pm
      I would have thought Hyypia would get a new deal, however if he doesnt then he would still be loved by the fans, a true red and a great servant to the club
      solodee

• 6,033 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #43: Feb 27, 2008 11:44:32 pm
      He deserves a new contract. With the injuries we suffered in the defence, Hyypia has been very active in the back.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,670 posts | 6685 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #44: Feb 29, 2008 05:58:18 am
      We definitely need to keep Sami...a true servant of this wonderful club. he loves the Club, we love him...would love to see him get a testimonial and with 10 years service as well...wouldn't he be entitled to long service leave ;). Another reason for keeping him, is that he is the only current player at the club who knows how to head a goal from a corner....maybe he can teach the others how to attack the ball at corners as Sami seems the only player capable of doing it.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #45: Feb 29, 2008 08:47:42 am
      Sami Hypia is definitely worth another contract,we would of been in sh*t street without him this season.HE is as loyal to the RED cause as anyone could be and would be ideal for bringing the younger players on.I cant give him any higher recognition than to say he is like a modern day BILLY LIDDELL who gives his best all the time.

Quick Reply