Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Sami Hyypia Player Thread

Read 30421 times
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Re: Sami wants to sign new contract
      Reply #46: Feb 29, 2008 08:57:34 am
      Not only would I keep Sami on the playing staff, I would also make sure he stays at Liverpool FC as part of the back room staff team for the next 10 years too.

He and Carra would make a truly brilliant coaching and management team in years to come. The man loves the club and the fans love Sami... of course he won't be able to play many games when Skrtel and Agger click (praying here...) but would he be a fantastic influence off the pitch?? ..too F***ing right he would.

The man is full of character, in fact, if memory serves me right, he was the VERY FIRST player to back Rafa in his hour of need, screw the silence he was supporting his boss, well done that man!

Liverpool's success legacy has been built on key individuals acting as references for the players, fans... and owner/s over many years - this must continue in eras to come.

Sami must stay, it would be foolish to let him go to Foolham. One year playing contract with two years coaching contract to follow that.

Does anyone know if Sami has started on his coaching badges yet? If he hasn't he should... I wonder if Rafa would back him on that score, because if Rafa loves the club as much as he says he does (and I believe he does) then he should look after the future and that means the team of players who will become the next generation of leaders at LFC. Rafa is a total one-off (a la Shankly and Paisley, and I mean that) ...but the playing staff becoming managers of future LFC set-ups is a must IMHO.

Totally agree with you on the coaching senario, Sammi has been a loyal hard working servant to our club and deserves any new contract to keep him hear. In future times I would dearly love to see Sammi as Assitant to Carra in a managment role Carra would make an awesome manager because of his tactical brain and will to win.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Sami Agrees new contract
      Reply #47: Apr 05, 2008 12:13:13 pm
      Sami Hyypia has today agreed a deal to stay at Anfield until the summer of 2009.
      The 34-year-old, whose contract was due to expire at the end of the season, is now set to join a select band of players to stay at the club for a decade.

Hyypia told Liverpoolfc.tv: "I am very happy to have agreed a new deal. This is a great club with fantastic supporters, so I'm delighted."

The former skipper has so far made 440 appearances since arriving on Merseyside from Willem II back in 1999.

Boss Rafa Benitez expects that number to keep rising next season and claims Hyypia is the best possible role model for young defenders such as Martin Skrtel and Daniel Agger.

"This is great news for the club," said the Spaniard.

"Sami has a lot to offer. He is a fantastic professional who is an example to all young footballers. He understands the game and is clever. All these things mean he can help other players.

"He has shown this year how important he is to us on the pitch and he can continue to do that next season."

Signed by Gerard Houllier for a bargain £2.5million, Hyypia was a key part of the 2001 treble-winning side after forming a rock-solid partnership with Stephane Henchoz.

He was one of the stand-out performers on the road to Champions League glory in Istanbul, scoring a cool volley which proved crucial in the quarter-final defeat of Juventus.

Incredibly, the centre-back played every minute of 57 consecutive European games for the Reds from November 2001 to February 2006.

History will undoubtedly judge Hyypia to be one of the club's shrewdest pieces of business. His collection of winner's medals is now in double figures and in 2006 fans voted him 38th in Liverpoolfc.tv's 100 Players Who Shook The Kop series.

He is also a legend in his homeland having amassed 90 caps and won Finnish Player of the Year six times. 
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Re: Sami Agrees new contract
      Reply #48: Apr 05, 2008 12:14:40 pm
      Absolutely F***ing made up.

Well in on your testimonial Sami lad!  ;)
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,708 posts | 3716 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #49: Apr 05, 2008 12:17:30 pm
      It is good to see hyypia with us 'cos he is playing well and he is good example for agger & skrtel.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #50: Apr 05, 2008 12:21:08 pm
      Fantastic news. Hopefully he remains at the club after he has retired.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #51: Apr 05, 2008 12:24:25 pm
      This is great news before the match! I'm absolutely made up for Sami, he's going to have his tenth year with Liverpool, and all the praise in the world will not be enough for all he has done for us! He's my favourite player at the moment, perhaps of all time but that takes some thinking about! Back when I used to play for my local team I played the same position as Sami, and the way he plays is everything I would have wanted to have been. Strong and solid, powerful and dependable, even gets a few goals every season!

I've said it before, but he has aged liked a fine wine, time hasn't worn him out it's made him better. He uses his experience and aniticipation to be ahead of the stikers, and would be a great assest to the club when he retires as a defensive coach IMO.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #52: Apr 05, 2008 12:27:35 pm
      I agree Clint mate he has an excellent rapour with the team and they can only grow stronger with his leadership alongside Carra.  I am well chuffed that he has agreed another year but I do feel that will probably be his last year at the club.  We have so much to appreciate Hyypia for with his determined attitude, aerial support and the odd headed goal too, Houllier grabbed a bargain in this guy a real star!  Congrats Sami :D
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #53: Apr 05, 2008 03:08:24 pm
      if one player deserves a testimonial it is sami hyypia.

a brilliant role model on and off the park, hopefully there will be a position for him at the club after he has hung up his boots.

well done sami, delighted for ya!
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #54: Apr 05, 2008 05:38:11 pm
      Nice one Sami i cant see him getting many games next season but hes a good squad member and hes been a loyal servant to us.
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #55: Apr 05, 2008 06:40:14 pm
      Simply a Liverpool Legend.

Well in sami !
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #56: Apr 05, 2008 07:33:46 pm
      This is good news,he will become part of a rare breed at a football club.10 years at a club.Naext year i think he will be used spearingly and possibly as a mentor to the likes of Jack Hobbs.
      ste_macca
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,175 posts | 22 
      Reply #57: Apr 05, 2008 07:40:12 pm
      Nice one Sami, im made up he has signed on a bit longer with us. He fully deserves his testimonial.
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #58: Apr 05, 2008 07:42:01 pm
      Does a modern player,even one like Sami really need a testimonial?
      IB
      • Prediction League Champion 2008/09
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 307 posts | 18 
      Reply #59: Apr 05, 2008 08:06:46 pm
      Fantastic news, Sami has proven this season that he can be relied on if things dont go to plan (Agger's injury). He's got fantastic stamina, even at this age and has proven that he can provide fantastic defensive skills.
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #60: Apr 05, 2008 08:41:40 pm
      Excellent news! He has been a great player for us and glad he is staying for another year.

I think after his playing career is over, he would make a great coach for the young ones, he probably has so much knowledge to pass on.

He will probably get a testimonial as well.
      ste_macca
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,175 posts | 22 
      Reply #61: Apr 05, 2008 08:44:03 pm
      Does a modern player,even one like Sami really need a testimonial?

Maybe he doesnt need one, but why the heck not, im sure he would love a testimonial game, 10 years service which is getting rare for a player in todays football and also he is loved by the fans, it would be a special day for him and the fans to remember.
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #62: Apr 05, 2008 08:57:28 pm
      Absolutely suburb news.
      In todays age of foreign players coming for money and bumping up their pensions, I don't see many other foreign imports celebrating 10 years at the top of their game and being rewarded a contract on sheer merit.

Sami has come back into the team (after a season of people / posters questioning his place) and has performed impeccably this season. Sami has been and has always been a model professional, and this news is just as good as a major signing for me.
      Kids can learn so much from this bloke, it's clear he loves the club, he's not here for the money, but to help the club strive forward on upward.

If only every foreign signing would have the same passion and committment.

Made up for you Sami lad. I will be there for your testimonial, and I'm sure you'll do the right thing.
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #63: Apr 05, 2008 09:39:57 pm
      .....just remembered when i seen sami in the garage by mine. man is he tall ! , top feller !
      Prash
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #64: Apr 05, 2008 10:49:52 pm
      good to hear!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6740 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #65: Apr 06, 2008 01:32:58 am
      Fantastic news, let's just hope that come May 2009 we can get Sami that Premiership medallion to hang around his neck. God knows he deserves it. True Legend.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #66: Apr 06, 2008 08:42:31 am
      A consummate professional in the mold of Gary Mc, would love to see at the club in a coaching roll in the future. Well done Sami you undoubtedly deserve it.
      IRWT
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #67: Apr 06, 2008 08:58:34 am
       Well done Sami,He has more than earned this extension to his contract. We would of been in the sh*t without him this season.From the day he signed for L.F.C. he has been a credit to himself and most important to the Liverpool F.C. cause and as RAFA says the young lads will benefit from having him around.
      wdavidw10
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #68: Apr 06, 2008 12:22:35 pm
      Its great news to hear that sami has signed a new contract! He desveres it most!!

Quick Reply