Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Petition to free Michael Shields

Read 36448 times
      eAyeAddio
      • Forum Youth Player

• 8 posts | -1 
      Re: Petition to free Michael Shields
      Reply #23: Jul 13, 2007 06:47:51 pm
      The petition is up to nearly 13,000 people already.

What's the target ?         100,000 should do it.
      Jrwanderer
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 115 posts |
      • Team Spirit of Champions
      Reply #24: Jul 18, 2007 07:13:45 pm
      Signed
      lfc 4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 653 posts | -11 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #25: Jul 18, 2007 08:13:39 pm
      Signed
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #26: Aug 01, 2007 05:49:34 pm
      Wankers, absolute wankers. This is the government's response:

Thank you for the petition about the new evidence in the Michael Shields case.

Since the incident in May 2005 the Foreign and Commonwealth office has provided Mr Shields and his family with all appropriate consular assistance during their time in Bulgaria. As you know, we cannot interfere in the judicial affairs of another state as they cannot interfere in our own. However the FCO has helped to facilitate the transfer agreement with the Bulgarian authorities to allow Michael to serve the remainder of the sentence in a UK facility.

The FCO appreciates the concern over Mr Shields' conviction, but there is little more they can do to assist. As far as the Bulgarian authorities are concerned the case is closed and all appeal processes exhausted. The FCO is aware that Mr Shields' legal team made an approach to the European Court of Human Rights, but that this also failed. Given the European Court's ruling that the Bulgarian courts had not violated the European Convention on Human Rights by refusing to admit any further evidence after the trial had started, the FCO sees no grounds for their intervention. It is now for Mr Shields' legal team to decide on how to take his case forward.

FFS how can this government stand by whilst one of it's citizens is wrongly banged up and just say 'nothing to do with us, we're not getting involved'

Topic un-stickied as the petitions over.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #27: Aug 01, 2007 06:13:58 pm
      This had better work!!!!!!!!!!! Although we all have an idea how much notice is taken from these petitions!

The lad has gone through enough!! It's time for him to be free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was just going to mention this as well Eddie.

Apologies for quoting myself but I did have my doubts. Anything for a worthy cause with these petitions, just seems like a joke for the government. They probably give the petitions so long, so as they can think of a ridiculous excuse for not doing anything about it. That's how pigheaded they are.

Gobsh*tes!

Another setback. Hopefully something else can arise for his cause.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #28: Aug 02, 2007 03:36:37 pm
      Unlikely. Probably out boning one of his horses as we speak.

Anyway, Mickey Shields - if this petition thing doesn't work out I'm getting these fellas on the case.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EMjmyv1rNJ8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EMjmyv1rNJ8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Think the A-Teams the only option now! Get them to tell Gordon Brown to quit his jibba-jabba!
      EddieC
      • Started Topic

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #29: Oct 16, 2007 11:52:26 am
      There is a meeting taking place soon with the Bulgarian authorities with a view to either issuing a pardon or re-opening Michaels case. If you haven't already signed the petition please do so now, it only takes a minute & Michaels family would appreciate having as much ammo as possible.

Topic re-stickied.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #30: Nov 13, 2007 08:48:36 pm
      Does any one know where Michael is being held? The reason I'm asking, and I am open to guidance here, would it be acceptable for every active member to send him a Christmas Card this year just to say that even after 2 and a half years he is not forgotten. Any one have any thoughts? as I said I am open to guidance.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #31: Nov 13, 2007 08:56:10 pm
      Does any one know where Michael is being held? The reason I'm asking, and I am open to guidance here, would it be acceptable for every active member to send him a Christmas Card this year just to say that even after 2 and a half years he is not forgotten. Any one have any thoughts? as I said I am open to guidance.

I think that's a really good idea mate I'm sure he would love to know he has got alot of support back home and  I know me and yorkie will send him one for sure.  I'm not sure where to find the address though? there may be someone on here who has contact with his family.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #32: Nov 13, 2007 09:39:49 pm
      Just seen this, "UK government could free Shields"

in a nut shell
      A letter from the Bulgarian government said this means the decision about whether to grant him a pardon is now down to the British government.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/7092878.stm

Come Gordon do the right thing.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #33: Nov 13, 2007 10:42:37 pm
      Then he should almost certainly be released, it was the stubborn foreign gits that failed to see what really happened.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #34: Nov 15, 2007 09:43:42 pm
      Michael Shields to take lie detector test
      Nov 15 2007 by Greg O'Keeffe and Ian Hernon, Liverpool Echo

THE Home Office has agreed to let jailed Liverpool FC fan Michael Shields take a lie detector test in his Lancashire prison.

The decision could be crucial in the engineering student’s long battle to prove his innocence and win a pardon.

A deal was brokered behind the scenes by Riverside MP Louise Ellman during discussions with ministers and the prison service on behalf of the Shields family.

She said today: “Michael has always wanted this chance to show conclusively that he is innocent and the victim of a grave miscarriage of justice.

“The campaign to secure a pardon from either Bulgaria or the UK will continue and this could help although there are complicated issues involved.”

Michael, now 21 and from Edge Hill, was convicted of the attempted murder of a Bulgarian barman while on his way home from Liverpool’s Champions League victory in Istanbul.

Despite alibi evidence he was found guilty and a signed confession by fellow fan Graham Sankey was later retracted,

Earlier this year he returned to Britain to complete his sentence and last month both he and his family asked for a polygraph.

The Home Office officials have now told Mrs Ellman they have no objections, provided there are no security problems at Garth Prison, Leyland, where he is being held.

Prison governor Dave Savage has given the go-ahead.

He now needs written authorisation from Michael himself – which will be sorted within days.

In a letter to Mrs Ellman he said: “We would agree in principle to allowing Michael to undertake the polygraph test but only with his written consent.

“Unfortunately we cannot permit a film crew or cameras into the establishment whilst the tests are being completed.

“The polygraph expert would need security clearance prior to being allowed into the establishment.”

Meanwhile Mrs Ellman has agreed to give justice minister David Hanson and Foreign Office minister Jim Murphy a comprehensive legal dossier covering in chronological detail Michael’s treatment at the hands of the Bulgarian police and courts.

And this week the Bulgarian authorities hinted they would not object if the UK decided to pardon Michael.
                                  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully Michael will know be able to prove his innocence

AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #35: Nov 16, 2007 10:59:06 am
      That is good news after all this time they leave it till now to let Michael protest his innocence for a crime that was proved not to be of his doing.  All we can hope for now is Michael himself not giving up after the appalling way this case has been handled.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #36: Nov 18, 2007 11:55:08 pm
      Heard about this on Pete Price about an hour a go.  His Mum came on and explained what the situation was.

What fantastic news!

How on earth can a young man be wrongly convicted without any evidence on the slab that was 'allegedly' thrown at the waiter.

Let's pray he's out soon. 

YNWA Michael.
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #37: Nov 20, 2007 12:35:42 am
      Too right he should be out. 

Let's hope some of these suits pull their fingers out.  He's been imprisoned for nearly two and a half years because he had a white T-shirt on.  It's beyond a joke, and I can't believe it is still carrying on.

rosscoveney
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | -4 
      Reply #38: Dec 04, 2007 12:56:47 pm
      Signed
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #39: Dec 18, 2007 03:49:11 pm
      signed ! when i think what i've done during the time he's been locked up i thank god and pray for his release !
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #40: Dec 19, 2007 01:22:00 pm
      His third Christmas behind bars looming. 

An absolute joke.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #41: Dec 20, 2007 02:50:38 pm
      Absolutely JD. Our government need to sort his pardon out asap! Hopefully the lie detector test can help speed things up today. Hope it goes well for him.

Link

Michael Shields will bid to clear his name later when he takes a lie detector test.

The 21-year-old from Wavertree was convicted of attempted murder following an attack on a Bulgarian waiter in May 2005.
      Shields insists he will prove his innocence with the help of the polygraph test.

He will be assessed by a forensic psychologist first before being hooked up to the machine and questioned for two hours.

He will be asked key points relating to the attack on Martin Georgiev, including whether he was involved or if he was in the area at the time.

Campaigners for the Liverpool fan, who is serving a ten year sentence, say they will take the results and new evidence to a meeting with Justice Secretary Jack Straw in the New Year.

Experts say the result will be 95% to 98% accurate.

I heard some of Councillor Joe Andersons call on Radio Merseyside earlier and the meeting with Jack Straw is scheduled for some time mid January.

My thoughts are with the Shields family. Can't imagine how they must be feeling this time of year.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #42: Dec 20, 2007 07:01:07 pm
      He passed  ;) 

Get the lad home now !!!  He's innocent
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #43: Dec 20, 2007 09:39:23 pm
      Great stuff Smiggs! I think we all knew he would anyway.

Does anyone know if there is some very important reason why things can't be looked into over the weekend? Or is petty appointments are more important than an innocent mans freedom!  >:( New evidence, a successful lie detector test that's nearly one hundred percent accurate and permission from the Bulgarian government for a pardon!!! What the F**k are we waiting for? Can anyone in the know, let us know?...
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #44: Dec 20, 2007 09:41:59 pm
      Signed, we are all behind him, and I'm sure when he does get released he will know we all support him. Sure he would love to know now. F***ing Bulgarians.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #45: Dec 21, 2007 09:15:23 am
      Just heard on Radio Merseyside that Michael passed the lie detector test to prove his innocence.Dont think it will be too long befor he is released,and it will be about time too.

Quick Reply