Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 12th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Why is our defence so shaky?

Read 6999 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Re: Why is our defence so shaky?
      Reply #23: Oct 01, 2009 12:53:02 am
      Is there no way we can blame Lucas?

And then maybe mention Alonso going to Madrid?

::)
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #24: Oct 01, 2009 01:01:37 am
      I believe we are doing fine at the moment, the only area that we have to address is when on the offensive we have committed players forward, leaving a big void in the middle for the opposition to exploit. I'd say we need the midfield to track back fast enough to cover the defense. But again, except for Masch and Stevie, i'm not sure who else can do that. Even Shriek runs 50 yards back to cover or regain possession, we need to learn to do that.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #25: Oct 01, 2009 01:19:08 am
      I believe it is teams have kind of found us out a little. It started a little last season and i think it is just the teams with managers who know what they are doing and spend a bit of time looking at tapes know where we are weak. So shouldn't be a problem against the mancs ;)
      It is alot on the players as well though. It begins in midfield for me, where we are not quite on the ball like we were last year. I'm not gonna drag up the whole Alonso thing, because that has been done to death. Yeah, we would be quite good with him, but we should be able to deal with it. It basically is we just haven't found the right balance in midfield just yet, and although in some games it is great, in others we seem completely lost in midfield. This then puts alot more pressure on the defense. We seem to be gifting the opposing team alot more opportunities to head forward from midfield, sometimes with a wealth of space, and thus is catching our defense out. Unfortunately we are making some shocking mistakes in defense as well, but they wouldn't come if the opposing team didn't have so many chances to push forward. I remember times last year when we were on top of our game, and you would hardly see a shot on Reina for a half, sometimes a whole game. I would love to see that Liverpool back!
      My theory anyways, hopefully we won't have to talk much more about this as Rafa will be weaving his magic as we speak.. i hope. IRWT
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #26: Oct 01, 2009 01:19:49 am
      Probably not likely to make much of a difference in general but when Carra and Skrtel were partnered together last season was Carra not Right Centre back as opposed to Left Centre Back?

Like I say probably makes no difference in general but never know, may be playing a part :-\
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #27: Oct 01, 2009 01:21:37 am
      Probably not likely to make much of a difference in general but when Carra and Skrtel were partnered together last season was Carra not Right Centre back as opposed to Left Centre Back?

Like I say probably makes no difference in general but never know, may be playing a part :-\

I don't know, but that could be it.. write a letter to Rafa asap, we have found the problem! :D
      jh
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 33 posts |
      • a Red from the little red dot
      Reply #28: Oct 01, 2009 07:52:19 am
      not sure if anybody else agrees, but stevie G has not been his usual tenacious self.. u know, chasing-like-mad back whoever tried to run past him and eating the guy up with a perfect tackle..

maybe its rafa's instructions to stay forward instead, or he's just plain lazy..

if only he does it more often, i'm sure the def will get better protections
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #29: Oct 01, 2009 08:00:31 am
      Stevie G is not lazy. I think it is just a dip of form, that is partly caused by the change in tactics we have been employing a bit with midfield reshuffles. He'll come good.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,372 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #30: Oct 01, 2009 08:11:17 am
      As for the full backs being more attacking that's why we're conceding more - bollocks.

Hardly bollocks DLS. Arbeloa would never leave the 2 centre backs as exposed as Johnson does and Insua is the same on the left. As I said in the opening post its a good thing overall for our team that the 2 full backs play like that. Carra was never lightening quick and hes lost some of his pace and its coincided with a more attack minded set of full backs playing alongside him. Leaving him more exposed

No excuse for the 2 centre backs vulnerability in the air tho Skrtel must be 6'3. They will get it sorted  tho 
      CocoLoso
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts |
      Reply #31: Oct 01, 2009 08:58:21 am
      Carragher is finished. Thats why our defence is shaky. As soon as Agger is fit he should replace Carra who has been crap for the last two seasons. By the way Carra has scored more goals for the spurs than us.
      rio09
      • Banned

• 94 posts | -3 
      Reply #32: Oct 01, 2009 09:17:41 am
      i couldnt agree more with you coco loso.I dont believe jamie should be starting. Agger and skertel should be starting for the mancs.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #33: Oct 01, 2009 09:23:51 am
      Carra ain't finished yet. Yeah he is not as good maybe but to write him off is bollocks. And been sh*te for two seasons? Hell no. And rio9, it's Skrtel, not Skertel ;)
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #34: Oct 01, 2009 09:30:40 am
      How can you all put the blame on Carragher just because we are conceding?

He's only 31 years old and he can still play. IMO, he was just done by the pace of Hines during that West Ham game and he has been playing relatively well the others. He probably miss that influence of Sami in the dressing room as there is no one experienced enough he can turn to. Going back to his pace, Carra was never the fastest but his ability to read games like Sami was vital. He isn't getting any younger but I don't think he's as bad as you have made him sound when probably all the other players on the field aren't at their best as well.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #35: Oct 01, 2009 09:35:27 am
      Exactly Adryan, using scapegoats when the whole team is below par is just a cowards way out. When we play as bad as we did Tuesday there is no way it is just one player. And the other times? There have been alot of players at fault the other games so picking on Carra who has not been at fault to often, certainly no more than anyone else, is wrong. Still one of our most experienced defenders, and invaluable.
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #36: Oct 01, 2009 09:38:50 am
      This defensive form is just temporary, and hopefully sooner rather than later we'll become a bit more solid at the back. 
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #37: Oct 01, 2009 09:45:57 am
      It is no way bollocks that because of our attacking game instilled into a fullback, we are being exposed. Against Fiorentina, where did they penetrate? The flanks. They got past Johnson and Insua with ease! Both players couldn't stop anything going down the wings because they were chasing the ball back from a run they made into the box. They've been shithouse in defence all season and it's stretching our back 4.

The good thing about Arby in defence was that he would make a run but it was when Insua was staying back. If Insua bombed forward, Arby was sitting on the halfway line waiting for a counter. Read the game superbly IMO.

Couple this with Carra and Skrtel lacking confidence. I think Agger coming back will send a rocket right up the arse of both of them. That's the best thing about him coming back, after his health of course.

Also, our midfield isn't right on top with Masch being a tit on the field. He hasn't dominated a match once this season because he either slides in recklessly for no reason or is off the ball. Not only him but (i hate bringing Alonso into any debate but..) with no Alonso setting the tempo, it's a new style of play for our midfield. We dominated Stoke and Hull...that's it.
      rio09
      • Banned

• 94 posts | -3 
      Reply #38: Oct 01, 2009 09:57:13 am
      I no its unfair to write jamie off but he is getting old and we have to accept the fact that maybe is body isn't what it used to be and maybe he isn't that world class player he once was. I think we badly need to work on defending set pieces we concede a lot of goals from set pieces and we might just need agger to play the role of carra if we want to look at the future and winning the title. I am not writing of cara but just maybe he isnt that same player.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #39: Oct 01, 2009 10:19:20 am
      How about Gerrard?  ::)
      CocoLoso
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts |
      Reply #40: Oct 01, 2009 10:58:24 am
      I'm not blaming Carra for all of our defensive frailties but if you analyse most times we have conceeded from set-pieces it is usually Jamie who is being out-muscled, out-jumped or losing the nearest opponent. The goals from Bassong, Davies(Aston Villa) and Cole come to mind. His real lack of pace and overall contribution to attack is also a worry but i'm not expecting Rafa to dop him as he loves him. By the way, his place of birth does not warrant a starting position.
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #41: Oct 01, 2009 11:43:58 am
      Im sorry but im not buying this rubbish about attacking full backs being the reasonf for coneding. Anyone seen Chelsea? Their full backs have been "bombing on" forever, and they have always been rock solid in defence. Lets be honest too, Terry aint exactly fast, but he ushers his back line extremely well, and thats once the opposition has managed to get past Essien. I believe it is a confidence thing, and Carra has no faith in his defence, now, given that the defence have proven themselves in the past, we could perhaps consider that Jamie is ignorant by not having trust in his fellow players. Its ok being passionate and giving 100%, but arrogance and ignorance can cost us.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #42: Oct 01, 2009 11:55:24 am
      Im sorry but im not buying this rubbish about attacking full backs being the reasonf for coneding. Anyone seen Chelsea? Their full backs have been "bombing on" forever, and they have always been rock solid in defence. Lets be honest too, Terry aint exactly fast, but he ushers his back line extremely well, and thats once the opposition has managed to get past Essien. I believe it is a confidence thing, and Carra has no faith in his defence, now, given that the defence have proven themselves in the past, we could perhaps consider that Jamie is ignorant by not having trust in his fellow players. Its ok being passionate and giving 100%, but arrogance and ignorance can cost us.

It's the timing of their runs/their midfield that allows it though. They always have atleast 3 players sitting back and waiting for the counter. The disappointing thing about our defence this season is that there has been 2 fullbacks going forward but not alot of cover for them from other players while the fullbacks take their place on the wing/in the box. Just easy pickings for attack.

Anyway - i'm not concerned about the level of goals conceded, its the matter in which they are conceded.
      The Kop Kid
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 150 posts |
      Reply #43: Oct 01, 2009 12:01:57 pm
      Defence starts with the attackers. That's how it always was with our best sides down the years.
      The amount of work Rushie and Fowler put in chasing down full backs or pressuring goal keepers was phenomenal. It starts there and continues in midfield but so far this season I don't think we've worked as hard as we did last term.
      Even Kuyt has dropped his amazing work rate this season.
      I mean F**k me he was like a Duracell battery last year.
      We have to work harder as a team it's not all down to the back four.
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #44: Oct 01, 2009 12:09:42 pm
      It's the timing of their runs/their midfield that allows it though. They always have atleast 3 players sitting back and waiting for the counter. The disappointing thing about our defence this season is that there has been 2 fullbacks going forward but not alot of cover for them from other players while the fullbacks take their place on the wing/in the box. Just easy pickings for attack.

Anyway - I'm not concerned about the level of goals conceded, its the matter in which they are conceded.

I know Essien and such all fill in when others push forward. Maybe the back line needs to gel a bit I guess. I remember reading an article about Ashley Cole, and how the art to being a full back is picking your run wisely, this is something both Johnson and Insua need to work on.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #45: Oct 01, 2009 12:12:49 pm
      I know Essien and such all fill in when others push forward. Maybe the back line needs to gel a bit I guess. I remember reading an article about Ashley Cole, and how the art to being a full back is picking your run wisely, this is something both Johnson and Insua need to work on.

Couldn't agree more with that one mate.

Quick Reply