Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Playstation Network

Read 30434 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Playstation Network
      Reply #23: Apr 23, 2011 10:34:16 am
      Hack Attack: Sony Confirms PlayStation Network Outage Caused By ‘External Intrusion’

Unfortunately for PlayStation Network and Qriocity services users, it looks like the widespread network outages will continue.

Since Sony’s PlayStation and music networks went down two days ago, there has been a fair amount of public speculation over the cause of the outage. (Largely due to Sony’s tight-lipped handling of public relations.) Many blamed vengeful gremlins loose in Sony’s server clusters and datacenters, while others immediately pointed the finger at Anonymous, the merry band of hackers that metastasized out of 4chan.

Thankfully, after 24+ hours of communication silence, Sony has updated its blog and ended the speculation. According to the electronics colossus, “an external intrusion” is responsible for the ongoing outages of the PlayStation Network and Qriocity. (It probably sounded like this at Sony headquarters. Or this.)

As to who these nefarious “intruders” are: It seems that Sony does not yet know who is responsible for the breach, or if it does, it is instead smartly spending its time sealing areas of vulnerability and trying to get the network back up and running. And though reports of PlayStation’s outage began heating up early Thursday morning, Sony reports that it in fact self-defensively shut down the Network sometime Wednesday evening.

According to the network’s blog, “An external intrusion on our system has affected our PlayStation Network and Qriocity services. In order to conduct a thorough investigation and to verify the smooth and secure operation of our network services going forward, we turned off PlayStation Network & Qriocity services on the evening of Wednesday, April 20th. Providing quality entertainment services to our customers and partners is our utmost priority. We are doing all we can to resolve this situation quickly, and we once again thank you for your patience. We will continue to update you promptly as we have additional information to share.”

So, when I said Sony has ended all speculation, I was really only half-correct. Sony is still not naming the party responsible for the breach, so the speculation will likely continue. (Can you hear the blogosphere cheering?) Anonymous has prior beef with Sony and has attacked the company before, so it’s not surprising many blamed them for the service disruption. (You can read more about Anon’s prior grievances with Sony in yesterday’s post.)

However, AnonOps (Anonymous Operations), the group’s mouthpiece and network through which members frequently communicate, has adamantly stated via its news wing that it was not responsible for the outage. Though, it seems that this particular announcement was made prior to Sony delivering the news that the problem was in fact due to hacking. So, Anonymous pointing to Sony’s incompetence as the cause of the outages is off base. Sort of.

More likely, as Anonymous makes mention of in the announcement, the hack was perpetrated by some offshoot of the group, which is either more angry at Sony than the majority, or is more eager to get its precious “lulz”. (While I have to admit that I sometimes find myself sympathetic to some of Anonymous’ philosophical stances, it’s hard not to use words like “fundamentalist” when referring to “factions” within the group, and draw structural comparisons between black hatters and terrorists. There are obviously important distinctions here, and line-blurring, but there it is.) Or, on the other hand, we might soon be learning of an as-yet-unknown hacker entity that is making a run at Anonymous for public notoriety. Gulp.

The PlayStation Network currently has over 70 million users and is Sony’s online medium for its PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Portable consoles. Both the Network, and Sony’s Qriocity music service were targeted. As stated previously, in its most recent blog post, Network spokespeople make no mention of how long the outage will continue, but it’s likely that it may take several more days to sort out. And this is after Sony posted yesterday saying that the outage may last for a “full day or two” — and after Amazon’s web and cloud services suffered from their own major outage.

At this point, the outage has lasted for over 48 hours and has become quite a disaster for Sony. (Or a “kerfuffle”, if you prefer a softer word.) Now, if this were in fact the result of denial-of-service attacks, it’s hard to place the blame entirely on Sony. Few networks can defend against large-scale DDoS attacks, which is, sadly, the point. That being said, the company has known since Wednesday night that there was an intrusion, so I find it odd that it would wait for two days to inform its users — and remove a post from its EU blog early Thursday saying that the outage is a result of “targeted behaviour by an outside party”.

All in all, the company’s public relations strategy is, at the least, very confusing. While it’s true that millions of gamers are being inconvenienced and are being forced offline, sure, it’s certainly not the end of the world. But, both for the sake of the company — and its users — a higher frequency of communication and level of transparency has to be achieved. In today’s world, a company can’t allow its official Twitter streams (@Playstation has nearly 800K followers) to go without an update for 24 hours. Especially when 70 million people are affected.

So, for everyone’s sake, I hope the Network can get up and running before this turns into the longest widespread network outage (due to hacking) in recent memory. If it isn’t already.

We will update this post over the weekend as we learn more. Stay tuned.
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 761 posts | 40 
      Reply #24: Apr 23, 2011 10:59:07 am
      Cheers Red, does not sound good!.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #25: Apr 23, 2011 12:27:13 pm
      Hope you’re enjoying the long weekend, if you’re lucky enough to have one in your country. At the time of writing we are working hard to fix the current PSN outage. Hopefully you will all be back online by the time you read this but, if not, then rest assured we’re still doing everything we can and I’ll be updating with the latest information where and when I can. Here’s your recap:
      From http://blog.eu.playstation.com/

Sounds as if Sony expect to be back up today. Good news I guess.
      KopiteKid
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts |
      • Scouse Solidarność
      Reply #26: Apr 23, 2011 11:23:33 pm
      Sounds as if Sony expect to be back up today. Good news I guess.

Last time I was online was about 7pm and it was still "under maintenance"  :(
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #27: Apr 24, 2011 01:29:24 pm
      They are rebuliding the psn supposedly?

We sincerely regret that PlayStation Network and Qriocity services have been suspended, and we are working around the clock to bring them both back online. Our efforts to resolve this matter involve re-building our system to further strengthen our network infrastructure. Though this task is time-consuming, we decided it was worth the time necessary to provide the system with additional security.

We thank you for your patience to date and ask for a little more while we move towards completion of this project. We will continue to give you updates as they become available.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #28: Apr 24, 2011 09:43:12 pm
      Wow, if it was Anonymous they've completely fu**ed Sony up with this.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #29: Apr 24, 2011 09:53:46 pm
      I want compo for this goddammit!!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #30: Apr 24, 2011 09:58:19 pm

Me too, I'm having Cod withdrawls so will probably end up snapping at the missus and be homeless by the end of the week. :D
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,618 posts | 3849 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #31: Apr 24, 2011 10:02:13 pm
      Finally set up my own PS3. Turned it on to play and it needs an update to play the games. Oh yeah no games for me. God be with the days you could just plug in a console and play the F***ing thing
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #32: Apr 25, 2011 11:51:56 am
      Network 'supposed' to be back up again later today.

Sony are lucky I've been busy this weekend, but I'll get annoyed if it isn't on later.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #33: Apr 26, 2011 12:52:54 am
      Seems it's down longer than they thought it would be but don't think there appears to be any update or resolution to the problem.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #34: Apr 26, 2011 05:33:27 pm
      There's been some talk of credit card details being vulnerable after this blackout on the PSN. Luckily for me I never bought anything from the Store!
      redmau5
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 393 posts |
      Reply #35: Apr 26, 2011 07:42:12 pm
      News doing the rounds is that sony took the psn down due to a custom firmware.  This firmware ptetty much turned the ps3 in to a dev system.  And every item in the store id free.
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #36: Apr 26, 2011 10:07:41 pm
      Just had a couple of good games online, oh how I love having an xbox.  >:D
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,618 posts | 3849 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #37: Apr 26, 2011 10:08:19 pm
      Looks like I got the wrong console
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #38: Apr 26, 2011 10:08:39 pm
      Just had a couple of good games online, oh how I love having an xbox.  >:D

Still rather have a ps3 tbh. :D
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,389 posts | 2823 
      Reply #39: Apr 26, 2011 10:22:36 pm
      More trouble for PS3.

Now confirming that personal details were obtained by whoever hacked it. They haven't ruled out that credit card data might have been obtained.

Aiming to resume some services within a week.
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #40: Apr 27, 2011 08:48:21 am
      PlayStation hacker took user info

Sony has warned users of its PlayStation Network that their personal information, including credit card details, may have been stolen.

The company said that the data might have fallen into the hands of an "unauthorised person" following a hacking attack on its online service.

Access to the network was suspended last Wednesday, but Sony has only now revealed details of what happened.

Users are being warned to look out for attempted telephone and e-mail scams.

In a statement posted on the official PlayStation blog, Nick Caplin, the company's head of communications for Europe, said: "We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19 2011, certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account information was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network".

The blog posting lists the personal information that Sony believes has been taken.

* Name
          * Address (city, state/province, zip or postal code)
          * Country
          * E-mail address
          * Date of birth
          * PlayStation Network/Qriocity passwords and login
          * Handle/PSN online ID

Mr Caplin added: "It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained.

"For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information."

Credit cards

Sony admitted that credit card information, used to purchase games, films and music, may also have been stolen.

"While there is no evidence that credit card data was taken at this time, we cannot rule out the possibility," Mr Caplin said.

"If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, to be on the safe side we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may also have been obtained."

Sony has not given any indication of how many PlayStation Network users may have had their information taken, but the service has around 70 million members worldwide.
      'PR Disaster'

The theft of so much detailed customer data would be seen as a "public relations disaster", according to Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant at security firm Sophos.

"This is a big one," he told BBC News.

"The PlayStation Network is a real consumer product. It is in lots of homes all over the world.

"The impact of this could be much greater than your typical internet hack."

Mr Cluley warned that, even without credit card details, the information taken was enough to help criminals carry out further attacks on other services.

"Some people will use the same passwords on other sites. If I was a hacker right now, I would be taking those e-mail addresses and trying those passwords," he said.
      User anger
      Lovefilm error message on PlayStation Some streaming media services available on PlayStation have been affected by the outage

PlayStation users got their first indication that something was wrong with the service when it became unavailable on Wednesday 20 April.

In the following days, Sony issued three brief statements asking users to be patient while it investigated an "external intrusion", or hack.

However, the fact that it took almost seven days for the company to reveal that data had been taken has angered some gamers.

Commenting on the Sony blog, Tacotaskforce wrote: "You waited a week to tell us our personal information was compromised? That should have been said last Thursday."

Another user Sid4peeps wrote: "This update is about 6 days late. I think it is time to move to the other network, no regard for customers here."

But some PlayStation users appeared to be happy with Sony's handling of the matter. Ejsponge61 commented: "Wow, this is alot of info. Thanks, this is very much appreciated by all of us PlayStation fans."

The Sony PlayStation Network remains unavailable to users. The company has not said when service will be restored.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13192359

So glad I only had the red ring of death to worry about with my XBox.

Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #41: Apr 27, 2011 12:16:54 pm
      Very worrying indeed, whether you have used a credit card or not. Not happy about this at all.

A company the size of Sony should have the funds and resources to stop things like this happening
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #42: Apr 27, 2011 02:02:42 pm
      How much does anyone want to bet following this Sony is going to be seeing a whole load of PSN member's leaving the service, or at least stopping using it for purchases.

On the up side, isn't it good the PSN was down for all this nice weather? :D
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #43: Apr 27, 2011 04:19:01 pm
      Haha, yeah, good timing. I can picture fat, pale-faced kids tentatively stepping out of their front doors, squinting into the blinding sun and filling their lungs with the long forgotten caress of fresh, summer air.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,618 posts | 3849 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #44: Apr 27, 2011 04:24:34 pm
      Haha, yeah, good timing. I can picture fat, pale-faced kids tentatively stepping out of their front doors, squinting into the blinding sun and filling their lungs with the long forgotten caress of fresh, summer air.

Simpsons did it!
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #45: Apr 27, 2011 04:47:47 pm

South Park: Simpsons Did it!

I aint a regular online user so aint a huge problem for me - though i did wanna have a bash on RDR the other day and wasn't able to.

Annoying, but still love my PS3.

Quick Reply