Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Celtic Fans

Read 19917 times
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Celtic Fans
      Oct 11, 2009 06:14:21 pm
      Stumbled across this on a Celtic forum and thought it was great so I posted it. Apologise if it's been covered before.

Justice for the 96
      ….say a prayer for those football fans who went to support their team and never came home. April 15th is the 19th anniversary of the Hillsborough Disaster when 96 Liverpool fans, young and old, died so tragically. Anyone who attended football matches throughout this era will know that it could have been any of us at nearly any ground.

One of the greatest pleasures of being a Celtic supporter is the people you meet and the friends you make along the way. Some of whom become lifetime soul mates whilst others may be casual acquaintances you share a pint with as you dissect every minute of the season so far. The guys from the Hillsborough Justice Campaign are the former and one of the highlights of last season for the Jungle Bhoys was meeting up with this sound group of Liverpool fans who have campaigned long and hard to get Justice for the 96, the Liverpool fans who died so tragically supporting their team in 1989.

The Jungle Bhoys first became involved after the Liverpool fans set up a card display to highlight the cause for justice with the famous Kop holding up cards which spelled out “THE TRUTH”. They also kept up a constant chant of “Justice for the 96” for the first 6 minutes of the match. A thread on www.kerrydalestreet.com highlighted the campaign and put forward the suggestion that a banner should be made to show our solidarity with the campaign.

The JBs agreed this was a just cause and immediately went about setting up a Paypal account to take donations and designing a fitting tribute. The money soon came in from like-minded fans across not only the Celtic support, but the Liverpool support too, including a magnificent gesture by the Irregulars LFC supporters bus who organised a whip round on their bus coming home from an already expensive away day at Watford and raised over £200 for the cause.

A 26 foot digitally printed banner was made and was unveiled at the Old Firm game at Celtic Park on October 2006. The objective was to raise awareness of the campaign in Scotland and further afield as well as to show our solidarity for the campaign by presenting the banner to the Liverpool support at a convenient date.

The plan was to take a minibus down to a game before the end of the season and hand over the banner to the Hillsborough Justice Campaign who we had been in constant touch with every step of the way and had built up a special relationship with. Ste had lost his brother who he had travelled with to the tragedy and along with Murph had been instrumental in ensuring these guys would never be forgotten. Both Ste and Murph are also mad Celtic fans.

Imagine our surprise when we heard from the HJC that Liverpool FC had invited six Celtic supporters down to their match against PSV in the Champions League and that the banner could be presented at half time to the Kop with the Celtic supporters carrying the banner the full length of the pitch, before handing it over to the Kop. There was little time to get organised so we decided the best way to split the six tickets was to ensure two representatives from the Jungle Bhoys, two from Kerrydale Street, who had initiated the idea and two from Celtic Minded who had fully supported the initiative and got right behind it from the start.

Juggling work and family commitments, a car load left Glasgow straight from work on the day of the match, returning straight after the game, with another flying in from Dublin for this special occasion. Badgeman from the JBs and Carcus from Celtic Minded kept everyone entertained on the way down, with their general sh*te talking (oh the power of the pen!) and the Badger’s downloading of Sat Nav on to his mobile phone proved a masterstroke as we made it to Liverpool just in time for the game. It was certainly a less eventful trip than the one just a few days later when yours truly managed to make about 200 attempts before finding the right exit at the big junction just before Aintree.

On arrival at Anfield we made a beeline for the HJC shop just behind the Kop to meet with the guys for the first time, then we all headed to the memorial at the opposite end of the ground to pay our respects and to add our Celtic scarves to the tribute. The first thing that hit us was the raw emotion that was still so evident 18 years on. Lots of people were crowded around the memorial in the narrow streets around Anfield and many were holding each other tightly as they looked at the names and wept openly and uncontrollably. It was a truly emotional sight and one which as a Celtic supporter I found it impossible to comprehend ever happening to our support. We as a support have suffered tragedy throughout our history which has united us in grief, in particular the tragic death of John Thomson and more recently when Jinky passed away but how would we react to 96 of our own dying inside a ground as we support our beloved team?

Even the thought is enough to send a shiver down the spine and underline the old adage “There but for the grace of God go I”. That is the very reason everyone, especially all football supporters, should get behind this campaign. This could have happened to any one of us as we looked at the names on the memorial, some from the same family.

As we stood with eyes transfixed Ste said something that will live with me forever “When you see names on the monument I see bodies”. Ste, of course, had to identify his brother’s body amongst the body bags laid out in the gym floor as the full extent of the tragedy unfurled.

To the match itself, and their was a very strange feeling, sitting in the best seats in the house, which Liverpool had so generously provided, wearing our Celtic gear in amongst the Liverpool support, who must have wondered what was going on with this mini invasion. Liverpool were already a goal up from the home leg so the atmosphere would be subdued we were told but we were surprised and very impressed by the singing and chanting from the Kop in particular and their range of songs which got right behind their team, as well as making a mockery of Chelsea’s so called “history”.

Incredibly the guys from RTK “Reclaim the Kop” had went out their way to pay homage to the Celtic support after our gesture and they displayed a fantastic banner which spread out all the way along the front of the Kop stating “Thank You Celtic Fans We’ve Never Walked alone” in red and green. This was an outstanding gesture and one that was well appreciated by the guys. We know well the amount of time, effort and expense it takes to make a large, painted banner and so to do this for a one off event summed up the respect both set of fans showed for each other that night.

With the massive banner, the big telescopic flags and the huge surfers in the Kop it provided a marvellous spectacle as the teams took to the pitch. The 35 minute mark soon came and we were beckoned to make our way to the back of the stand where we were lead to the corner opposite the Kop and we unfurled the banner in preparation for the walk on to the pitch itself. All of a sudden six ghuys, some of whom knew each other and some who had just met that day, stood sombre looking at the banner and taking in the sentiment expressed as the butterflies took over our stomachs and we imagined how the players must feel standing in the tunnel before a big match.

CELTIC FANS IN SOLIDARITY WITH JUSTICE FOR THE 96. YOU’LL NEVER WALK ALONE we held up as we entered the pitch. Ste from the HJC led us out and the first thoughts at being on the pitch itself was to try and make sure we didn’t freeze. The banner was given a fantastic reception and it felt as if the whole stadium swallowed us up as we walked the full length of the pitch. The grass felt thick and lush and as we got to the centre circle we passed the outstretched banner to Ste in a symbolic gesture of solidarity. Ste then lead us straight to his beloved Kop where the banner was surfed into the crowd and held up throughout half-time.

The cheers and applause from the Kop were deafening and as we approached they had grew louder and louder, creating a fantastic wall of noise. It was incredible to imagine actually playing on that pitch and shooting into that goal with the crowd almost sucking the ball into the net. The second half, looking back, was a blur as my head was full of the experience we had at half time which is a memory that will live long in our minds. After the match we went back to the HJC shop to meet more of the guys then it was into the Albert for a few pints before the long trip back up the road for a 6 o’clock start in the morning.

The whole experience was incredible but to see the pain and grief still etched on the faces of the Liverpool support after all these years and the genuine gratitude on their faces for the efforts of the Celtic support made it all worthwhile. The small part we played certainly paled into insignificance.
      timmj60
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 100 posts | -14 
      Re: Celtic Fans
      Reply #1: Oct 11, 2009 06:50:07 pm
      no time for the ira chanting fans.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #2: Oct 11, 2009 07:48:11 pm
      ^ ^ ^ I think you love Celtic really.  You don't half talk about them in your posts. Anyways, reading your posts I gather you are from Belfast with a soft spot for Rangers...so seeing as you stereotype Celtic as ''ira chanting fans'', I'll stereotype you and say you're a bigoted, sectarian man who fails to see how close Celtic are to the club you support. I suppose you condone Rangers fans singing about the UVF and chanting ''F**k the pope'' at every match? ;)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #3: Oct 12, 2009 01:06:59 am

At least they don't have links to chelsea, unlike some Rangers supporters clubs.

Most Jock Celtic fans I have met have been absolutely sound, can't say the same for Rangers fans.
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #4: Oct 12, 2009 01:11:03 am
      At least they don't have links to chelsea, unlike some Rangers supporters clubs.

Most Jock Celtic fans I have met have been absolutely sound, can't say the same for Rangers fans.

Being a Scouser in the Glasgow area, I can confirm the Celtic fans are good but the Rangers fans all love Chel$ki.
      The rivalry between them is unreal, I even got told to take my Liverpool top off in a local pub because it says You'll Never Walk Alone and that will make Rangers fans pissed off.
      The Neg-er
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 29 posts |
      Reply #5: Oct 12, 2009 09:57:31 am
      Singing'F**k the pope'and songs on about the famine is hardly much better. . I thought this article was a great show of respect by the celtic fans
      Doddzy89
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 704 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #6: Oct 12, 2009 01:50:24 pm
      There as both as bad as each other with the bigotry although I despise Rangers, mainly because of the F**k the pope chants and being mocked about my religion. Well played Celtic fans for the show of respect.

Rangers fans love Chelsea, the call themselves the blues brothers along with Linfield. Can remember when Celtic played Chelsea in a pre-season friendly there was a bit of trouble between the two sets of fans all because of the links with other clubs.

YNWA Liverpool & Celtic
      seriousbusiness
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts | -4 
      Reply #7: Oct 12, 2009 03:43:55 pm
      best atmosphere in the world imo...
      Doddzy89
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 704 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #8: Oct 12, 2009 04:02:38 pm

One thing a won't agree with, Anfield on a Champions league night can't be matched by any club in the world.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #9: Oct 17, 2009 02:08:36 am
      Its great that their is such a connection between Celtic/Liverpool.  Not only the memorial match, but I think the supporters sort of mirror image eachother. Very passionate about their club, believe in city,club,neighborhood and roots.  Liverpool has a fairly deep Irish Immigrant history from the late 1800's and early 1900's for ship building and dock workers.  Its great that my (2) clubs are connected deeply.

The divisions are certainly sectarian vs  Rangers/Celtic  I have never understood that. Celtic/Rangers all live in the same town, their both followers of the "Christian faith", the differences in the religous beliefs is really somewhat minimal.  But I didn't grow up w/ it so I cant relate. However, I understand and if living in Glasgow my whole life, I am sure I would of chosen a side too. If growing up Celtic in Glasgow an a Rangers fan attacked me and my friends, I would probably do the same to them.  Its a vicious circle, You got to protect your friends, neighborhood,family and team and if throwing down with some of your rivals does that then I understand.
      timmj60
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 100 posts | -14 
      Reply #10: Oct 17, 2009 06:39:58 pm
      Look celtic fans are decent but was in the albert  a few years ago and they sang 2 nil to the ira about the two boys who were blown up in warrington.
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #11: Oct 17, 2009 08:00:58 pm
      Look celtic fans are decent but was in the albert  a few years ago and they sang 2 nil to the ira about the two boys who were blown up in warrington.

i doubt that very much.  for a start there would have been an almighty ruck if that was the case...and this is the first i have heard of this.

You're talking sh*t there mate imo
      timmj60
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 100 posts | -14 
      Reply #12: Oct 17, 2009 08:20:40 pm
      no was there mate.all this sucking up to celtic kind off enbarressing.
      timmj60
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 100 posts | -14 
      Reply #13: Oct 17, 2009 08:24:47 pm
      plus there was a ruck
      timmj60
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 100 posts | -14 
      Reply #14: Oct 17, 2009 08:25:27 pm
      ira fuckers were kicked out
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #15: Oct 18, 2009 12:02:03 am
      You wanna calm down a bit there,  This is a Liverpool FC thread.  If you want a sectarian slanging match you can do one right now.  You know what you're trying to do here, and it isn't on, isn't on at all.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #16: Oct 18, 2009 02:10:04 pm
      no was there mate.all this sucking up to celtic kind off enbarressing.

It's funny you don't mention Rangers fans getting twatted all over the place on County Road mid to late 90's by Everton fans do you?

You from Belfast you sad F***ing tw*t?

I was in a bar full of Celtic fans that very same night in Liverpool City Centre and never once heard them sing anything like that.

It's funny but you don't see Celtic Fans acting like Rangers did in Manchester do you?
      timmj60
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 100 posts | -14 
      Reply #17: Oct 18, 2009 02:24:29 pm
      Am i missing something.I support LFC.Not CEltic or Ranger.But this luv fest for Celtic is sad.Go on there fans sites and see the vile that they dish out.Hell what was the banner at ibrox thank you rangers fans for trying to destroy manchester
      timmj60
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 100 posts | -14 
      Reply #18: Oct 18, 2009 02:30:57 pm
      ARD  MACHAH
      RED
      Am i missing something its a Liverpool thread so what are you talking about Celtic.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #19: Oct 18, 2009 02:49:22 pm
      Am i missing something.I support LFC.Not CEltic or Ranger.But this luv fest for Celtic is sad.Go on there fans sites and see the vile that they dish out.Hell what was the banner at ibrox thank you rangers fans for trying to destroy manchester

What this one!

>:D

It is not a lovefest between us and Celtic, just an appreciation of the fact that they have stood shoulder to shoulder with us regarding our fight for justice for the 96 as displayed by THAT banner that was donated to us by a Celtic supporters club.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #21: Oct 24, 2009 03:08:35 am
      ARD  MACHAH
      RED
      Am I missing something its a Liverpool thread so what are you talking about Celtic.

In all fairness, it's a thread regarding Celtic's ongoing support for the JFT96 Campaign.

And I'd be very pleased if we could stop all of the bitching about Celtic, Rangers, religion, etc. Hardly an appropriate backdrop given the subject.

Thank you.

On topic, YNWA Celtic fans. We thank you all for your ongoing support.
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #22: Oct 25, 2009 12:29:40 pm
      In all fairness, it's a thread regarding Celtic's ongoing support for the JFT96 Campaign.

And I'd be very pleased if we could stop all of the bitching about Celtic, Rangers, religion, etc. Hardly an appropriate backdrop given the subject.

Thank you.

On topic, YNWA Celtic fans. We thank you all for your ongoing support.

I think that draws a line under this.

Well said CRK.

Quick Reply