Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Fourth Plinth Tribute

Read 4357 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 39,956 posts | 8458 
      Fourth Plinth Tribute
      Oct 14, 2009 02:43:26 pm
      Plinth art project draws to close

Antony Gormley's Fourth Plinth art project in London's Trafalgar Square has come to an end after 100 days and 2,400 participants.

During the One And Other project, a different person stood on the plinth every hour for 24 hours a day.

Gormley said he felt "huge pride" about the project, but was also "incredibly sad" that it had come to an end.

The first "living statue" was housewife Rachel Wardell, who took her place on the plinth on Monday 6 July.

The last, medical photographer Emma Burns, from Darlington, stepped down from the plinth just after 0900 BST.

The 30-year-old dedicated her time to the football fans who were killed in a crush during the FA Cup semi-final at Hillsborough Stadium in 1989.

She read out a short story about each of the 96 victims, then released a balloon in their honour.

It lasted a little over the allotted hour but, as there was no-one to take her place, she was allowed to stay on the plinth to finish the recital.

When asked how he felt about the project coming to an end, Gormley said: "I've got very mixed emotions - huge pride that we've actually succeeded.

"We made this monument out of 2,400 abstracted hours from real lives.

"Another part of me feels incredibly sad because this has become part of London life and I've never been able to cross the city without making a detour and see who's on it. It's become compulsive viewing."

'Mixed reaction'

Participants for the project were chosen at random by a computer from tens of thousands of entries.

Gormley said at the weekend he had achieved his goal of challenging perceptions of what constituted art.

"If it wasn't disturbing to people, it wouldn't be doing its job," he said.

"If it isn't contentious and doesn't get a mixed reaction, it's totally failing."

However, the crowds who turned out for the final morning of the project were positive.

"I've seen about 200 different people on the plinth," said Jay, from London.

"It's brought loads of people together and everybody's got to know one other and everybody's had a good time"

"I walk past the plinth twice a day every day," added Nadia.

"It brings a smile to my face every time".

Plinth art project draws to close

Click on link and it will show the video of Emma, with JFT 96 banner, releasing balloons and reading out her short stories about each of the 96.

http://www.oneandother.co.uk/participants/Burnse
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Re: Fourth Plinth Tribute
      Reply #1: Oct 14, 2009 08:18:18 pm
      Brilliant that.

Is right Emma Burns. YNWA.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #2: Oct 14, 2009 11:50:31 pm
      What a brilliant, brilliant thing Emma done there. I'm lost for words to be honest.

Just a truly special way to spend an hour of your life.

YNWA Emma.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #3: Oct 15, 2009 12:13:23 am
      Was good to hear You'll Never Walk Alone being sung at the end there as well.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #4: Oct 15, 2009 12:19:45 am
      I'll be watching the whole thing soon. I didn't realise it was the link below the BBC video, so I was thinking it was in that BBC video and watched it and thought I'd missed it. Only just realised now.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #5: Oct 15, 2009 12:14:51 pm
      Emma Burns.

If she was on this forum she'd be going straight in to the Forum Legend category.  Superb.
      timmj60
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 100 posts | -14 
      Reply #6: Oct 18, 2009 01:56:14 pm
      Brought tears to my eyes.Great shout Gemma
      MsGerrard
      Reply #7: Oct 18, 2009 09:54:55 pm
      Brought tears to my eyes.Great shout Gemma

Erm....do you mean Emma?  ::)

Quick Reply