Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

People going mental! Why ?

Read 10296 times
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Re: People going mental! Why ?
      Reply #69: Oct 20, 2009 02:43:51 pm
      I have no problems with Aurelio at left-wing instead of Dossena, he is arguably our best crosser.

Kuyt as the furthest forward could be a problem as you say because he does like to chase the ball instead of letting it come to him.

Would this really be that much of an experiment?  Yossi played behind Torres this season and Gerrard in the middle.  Johnson spends most of his time up there anyway so just tell him not to come back.  Steve Darby is good enough to play and if Masch doesn't have to think about covering Lucas he will be more defensive - like the Masch of old.

Plus, if now is not the time to experiment, what was that shambles on Saturday?
      Actually yes you've ruined my argument on experimenting by pointing to Saturday!! It could be tried, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but I don't think it would be fair on Darby, to throw him in, in a crucial CL game, or against Utd, if he didn't play well he would be slaughtered, you only need to look to some peoples reactions to Spearings performance v Sunderland on here.

Agree on giving it a go, but not in the next two games (can't think off the top of my head who our game after the mancs is)
      Shay
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,732 posts | 46 
      Reply #70: Oct 20, 2009 02:53:22 pm
      Actually yes you've ruined my argument on experimenting by pointing to Saturday!! It could be tried, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but I don't think it would be fair on Darby, to throw him in, in a crucial CL game, or against Utd, if he didn't play well he would be slaughtered, you only need to look to some peoples reactions to Spearings performance v Sunderland on here.

Agree on giving it a go, but not in the next two games (can't think off the top of my head who our game after the mancs is)

I haven't slaughtered Spearing - he did his best but didn't do very well.  The same as most of the team.

My argument is that Masch would have the confidence to do his own job and protect Darby and Insua if Gerrard was next to him.  With a couple of defenders in front of them (Johnson and Aurelio) they could also expect some assistance from ahead of them.

You could be right about not throwing the lad in for these important games, but I can't see how we can improve without doing something radical.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #71: Oct 20, 2009 02:59:02 pm
      Thanks mate.  I try to offer a reasoned argument - gets you much further than shouting or spouting bollocks all the time - and I appreciate anyone else's opinion as long as it is delivered in the same way.

The thing with Dossena is that I have always though he looked better as left-wing, 'cos he can't defend for toffee.

Here's a thought, push Kuyt (until Torres comes back) up top with Yossi, Gerrard in midfield with Masch, Johnson and Dossnea as wingers and Steve Darby at right back with Insua/Aurelio on the other side.  Pick 2 from 3 centre halves ('cos Ayala isn't going to get a go) and see how we get on.

That gets the best out of Johnson (who looks shaky in defence but fantastic going forward), Dossena and Gerrard as it adds some grit, drive and precision in the middle of the park.

Anyone to comment?

No for several reasons mate.

When we're in this kind of form I don't wanna see Dossena anywhere the side. He may be better on the left wing than at left back but he simply isn't good enough anywhere on the pitch. And with Insua still learning his trade, I'd rather see somebody who can offer him protection. Biggest problem with that is none of our left wingers are good enough and don't over the greatest of protection. Push come to shove, I'd slap Aurelio out there because the rest of the options aren't good enough.

Kuyt up front is a non-starter for me. One up front needs to be able to keep hold of the ball, Kuyt can't. Plus he's having a nightmare at the moment. He didn't fill me with too much confidence when he played up top against Sunderland and since he arrived he's never really been prolific enough to be a main centre forward.

Masch has been completely out of sorts this year, whereas Lucas has been consistently OK. The Brazilian hasn't been outstanding by any means, but he's been decent unlike Masch who has been way below his best.

I don't mind Johnson on the right wing as his defensive work is average to say the least. But for a young lad like Darby trying to make his mark on the side, he, like Insua, will need that extra bit of protection which I'm not sure Johnson could provide.

So I think my team (until Torres returns) would be.

Reina
      Johnson Carra Skrtel Insua
      Kuyt Gerrard Lucas Aurelio
      Yossi
      Ngog

Reason I'd go with Ngog is I just think he'll give us a bit of an areial threat and could possibly hold it up, especially with Yossi behind him to go on his tricky runs. Stevie in the middle is a must for now, he's the only forward thinking midfielder we have (don't have a clue about Aquilani). We've got the protection of our full backs with Kuyt and Aurelio.

And the biggest plus is there's no place for Riera, Babel or Dossena :laugh:
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #72: Oct 20, 2009 02:59:24 pm
      I haven't slaughtered Spearing - he did his best but didn't do very well.  The same as most of the team.

My argument is that Masch would have the confidence to do his own job and protect Darby and Insua if Gerrard was next to him.  With a couple of defenders in front of them (Johnson and Aurelio) they could also expect some assistance from ahead of them.

You could be right about not throwing the lad in for these important games, but I can't see how we can improve without doing something radical.
      Wasn't referring to you specifically, seen a few posts in other threads saying things like 'What happened to our academy, we used to produce Gerrards, now all we got is Spearing' Or words to that effect.

But it's the managers job to make these big calls, if he feels he's ready and is getting given the right feedback about him, then he will be in and get a chance, if he isn't hearing the right things, then he won't. Simples. ;)
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #73: Oct 20, 2009 03:00:44 pm

(can't think off the top of my head who our game after the mancs is)

Arsenal in the League Cup before Fulham at Craven Cottage.
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #74: Oct 20, 2009 03:03:03 pm
      Arsenal in the League Cup before Fulham at Craven Cottage.
      Ah right, cheers, well Arsenal would be the game if any to give it a try. Be a good test for our younger players that one, really show where there at coming up against another batch of top class youngsters.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #75: Oct 20, 2009 03:06:29 pm
      Ah right, cheers, well Arsenal would be the game if any to give it a try. Be a good test for our younger players that one, really show where there at coming up against another batch of top class youngsters.

Agree, I said a very similar thing in Spearing's player thread. Coming up against that Wilshire kid will really test him and give us a better indication if he's gonna be good enough. But I think the team we send to the Emirates will be picked on how we fare in the next two games. If we lose both, the League Cup could be our best shot of a trophy so Rafa may decide to send a more experienced side than the one that played against Leeds.
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #76: Oct 20, 2009 03:15:13 pm
      Agree, I said a very similar thing in Spearing's player thread. Coming up against that Wilshire kid will really test him and give us a better indication if he's gonna be good enough. But I think the team we send to the Emirates will be picked on how we fare in the next two games. If we lose both, the League Cup could be our best shot of a trophy so Rafa may decide to send a more experienced side than the one that played against Leeds.
      Agreed, I know people call it a mickey mouse competition, but it's a shot at a trophy, and it's the only cup comp. that we haven't won under Rafa. Think we will see a mix of youngsters and fringe players.

I want the league cup!!

Quick Reply