Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

The Beach Ball

Read 12543 times
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Re: The Beach Ball
      Reply #23: Oct 18, 2009 10:18:05 am
      The balloon ed's picture is in the papers,I ope' he's not at the Lyon game.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #24: Oct 18, 2009 10:34:06 am
      In the first minute it showed Pepe's goal, the beach ball was in our goal at the time.

Could Pepe have not thrown it out of the goal or alerted the ref/steward/4th official??

Exactly what I was saying. Unless the ball did not go out of play from the moment the beach ball came in till the goal.
      « Last Edit: Oct 18, 2009 12:24:03 pm by Adryan »
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #25: Oct 18, 2009 11:53:17 am
      ffs.

What are you pair trying to do to this poor kid?

Seriously thought you'd know better. D'you want this lad to get a kicking or something?

Look at the players on the pitch before you blame the f***in beach ball.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #26: Oct 18, 2009 12:13:49 pm
      He was having a bit of fun.

Do you really think he'd have thrown it on if he knew it'd help Sunderland score?

Did you say the same thing about our fans when they threw socks on to the pitch at Goodison? No you F***ing didn't.

Leave it.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #27: Oct 18, 2009 12:16:36 pm
      ^ Agreed.

If you want to talk about the damn beach ball then maybe you should be talking about the ref, his 'assistants', and the 4th official - who all failed to get the rules right and have a drop-ball because of the outside interference that contributed to the ball ending up in the net.

Once again, the FA and their officials get the major decision wrong.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #28: Oct 18, 2009 12:20:12 pm
      No need to be showing pictures of the guy, he probably feels bad enough as it is.

The players on the pitch then had 85 minutes to make up for it, but they didn't. It's not the balloons fault, or the kid who threw it onto the pitch.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #29: Oct 18, 2009 12:20:59 pm
      All that true, but he's still a goon for throwing it onto the pitch.

I think anyone who throws anything onto the pitch is a tw*t personally.

That being said he obviously shouldn't be named and shamed as some people are calling for.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #30: Oct 18, 2009 12:22:31 pm
      I think anyone who throws anything onto the pitch is a tw*t personally.

Except socks and Tesco bags, correct?
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #31: Oct 18, 2009 12:23:38 pm
      No?

I said anyone.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,480 posts | 2863 
      Reply #32: Oct 18, 2009 12:33:39 pm
      Freak goal was 'wrongly allowed'
      A former FA Premier League referee says he is "amazed" Sunderland's winner against Liverpool, which deflected off a beach ball, was allowed to stand.

Jeff Winter told BBC Radio 5 live: "Everyone's going to have a field day but nobody's getting upset about it.

"But the laws of the game clearly state that if there's an outside interference the game has to be stopped.

"The referee (Mike Jones) and his assistant knew something was wrong, and it should have been a dropped ball."

The incident occurred when Darren Bent took a first-time shot from just inside the penalty area in one of Sunderland's first attacks during Saturday's Premier League match at the Stadium of Light.

The ball evaded Glen Johnson's attempted block and, at almost the same time, deflected off a large red beach ball at the edge of the six-yard box.

Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina found his eyes initially drawn to the path of the beach ball and was wrong-footed, in no position to make the save.

Jones did seem to consult the assistant referee but allowed the goal to stand.

Winter said: "Sunderland fans would say it would have probably gone in anyway and that it was a Liverpool fan who threw it [the beach ball] on the pitch.

"But I'm absolutely amazed. It is a basic law in football and the goal should just not have stood.

"I am absolutely amazed that a referee at that level of football, that between him, his assistant and the fourth official they didn't see what had happened and give the correct decision.

"There would have been absolute ructions at the Stadium of Light because the fans wouldn't have understood what had happened but I was watching yesterday afternoon and I was thinking 'hang on this can't be right'.

"I try to defend referees whenever possible but this, in terms of interpreting the laws of the game, is far more serious than when a ball crosses a line and somebody doesn't see it.

"But on this occasion the irony is that everyone is having a laugh and a joke about it."

After the incident, Reina was furious and rushed to remonstrate with a referee's assistant - but the goal stood despite a Fifa law which states: "The referee stops, suspends or terminates the match because of outside interference of any kind."

Rafael Benitez, Liverpool's manager, refused to focus his anger on the fifth-minute incident calling it a "a very technical question".

"It was a special situation but we didn't play well," he said.

"The goal changed the game but we made some mistakes and gave the ball away. When we had our chances, we didn't take them. These things can happen. It's a bad situation for us that the [beach] ball was in the middle and was influential but again I will say we didn't play well - that's the main thing for me."

His counterpart, Steve Bruce, said he initially thought the strike might have taken a deflection off Johnson rather than the beach ball.

Having found out what had actually happened, he said: "If you really know that rule then you are a little bit sad. I didn't know the rule that if a ball hit an object it should be a dropped ball, I always thought it's Sod's Law and you carry on, but there we are.

"We've had a bit of luck there way, it's one of those things but it's obviously helped our cause.

Freak goal was 'wrongly allowed'
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #33: Oct 18, 2009 12:35:47 pm
      I got some stick for just putting the picture there so I have removed it.

Blame the players on the field not the ball or the referees/linesman/officials ::)
      RedWilly

• 9,213 posts | 1646 
      Reply #34: Oct 18, 2009 12:37:19 pm
      Kid's a goon. Sky Sports are actually after him, so soon everyone will know him.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #35: Oct 18, 2009 01:33:46 pm
      Kid's a goon. Sky Sports are actually after him, so soon everyone will know him.
      I hope for the kids sake they don't find him, he's 10 years old ffs but that wouldn't stop some dickhead smacking his head in.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,452 posts | 8660 
      Reply #36: Oct 18, 2009 01:33:48 pm

If I was his dad, I'd tell them sh*t-stirring bas**rds to F**k right off.

He's a red, no matter what happened, we don't grass on our own.

Snitches get stitches!!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #37: Oct 18, 2009 01:53:46 pm
      I don't really see the point of this topic.

You have good and bad fortune in football. You've just got to take it on the chin when things go against you and move on.

People calling this kid need to get a grip. He's a F***ing kid! Who's also a red!!

thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #38: Oct 18, 2009 03:58:50 pm
      Just saw something on sky sports news, it showed the ball being put on the pitch before kick off then staying in the corner of our goal for 8 minutes then when they scored it was in the penalty area. It didn't show it being moved from our goal but I can only assume that Reina kicked it out.
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #39: Oct 18, 2009 04:07:36 pm
      Premier League - Liverpool shop sells out of beach balls
      Eurosport - Sun, 18 Oct 09:17:00 2009

Mischievous fans of rival teams have flocked to Liverpool's official online store to buy the club out of beach balls.

The Reds lost 1-0 to Sunderland on Saturday courtesy of a Darren Bent strike that deflected in off a large red ball that had been thrown into the penalty box by a Liverpool supporter.

Opposition fans revelling in Rafa Benitez's side's misery have bought all remaining 'beach sets' from the online shop, which consist of a towel, a bag and the now-infamous beach ball.

The sets had been reduced from £20 to £10 and have now sold out. They will be a must-have item for travelling supporters visiting Anfield in coming weeks.

Several web users have also left spoof reviews on the site.

'Natalie from Manchester' wrote: "I bought this set, but seem to have lost the ball in Sunderland. Is it possible to order a replacement?" while 'G from Johnon' commented: "This is one of the most flexible products I have ever purchased. Great for not only the beach, but can also play up front."

Liverpool fans are unlikely to see the funny side; the defeat was their fourth of the season, and leaves them seven points off the top of the Premier League.

Referee Mike Jones allowed the goal, although the laws state play should be stopped if any 'outside agent' interferes, and restarted with a drop ball.

Bent's shot bounced into the ball and deviated into the bottom-right corner past goalkeeper Jose Reina, who was so badly distracted he moved to save the beach ball.

Sky Sports News broadcast footage on Saturday of a young fan batting the ball into Reina's penalty box from the away end, but Match of the Day and the Sunday newspapers blocked out the fan's face fearing reprisals for his blunder.

Sunderland manager Steve Bruce said he did know the goal should not have stood, saying: "If anybody knew that rule - that it is supposed to be a drop ball - then you are a saddo."

However, former Premier League referee Jeff Winter said he was shocked Jones did not disallow the goal.

Winter said: "I'm absolutely amazed. It is basic law in football. The goal should just not have stood. The laws of the game state that if there's an outside interference the game has to be stopped."

New this would happen. >:(
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,452 posts | 8660 
      Reply #40: Oct 18, 2009 04:07:45 pm
      Just saw something on sky sports news, it showed the ball being put on the pitch before kick off then staying in the corner of our goal for 8 minutes then when they scored it was in the penalty area. It didn't show it being moved from our goal but I can only assume that Reina kicked it out.

Or maybe a Sunderland steward did?

Especially after hearing what a sterling job they did yesterday, throwing Liverpool fans out for supposed standing, but only those that were nearest to the aisles, but apparently letting the Sunderland fans on the opposite of the divide get away with exactly the same thing!

And why hasn't that tw*t from SSN down by the ground been set on fire yet!
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #41: Oct 18, 2009 04:41:59 pm
      Premier League - Liverpool shop sells out of beach balls
      Eurosport - Sun, 18 Oct 09:17:00 2009

Of course. F***ing typical.
      dave09
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 153 posts | -1 
      Reply #42: Oct 18, 2009 07:12:30 pm
      there is loads of jokes and stuff all over the net about the beach ball now
      dave09
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 153 posts | -1 
      Reply #43: Oct 18, 2009 07:14:32 pm
      there is a video of a referee scoring,apparently it's allowed but a beach ball aint
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #44: Oct 18, 2009 07:15:28 pm
      Wow a real comedian. ::)
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,480 posts | 2863 
      Reply #45: Oct 18, 2009 07:19:36 pm
      I'd laugh so much if we scored from a deflected shot off a beach ball thrown by a United fan next weekend.

Quick Reply