Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Celtic / Rangers leaving SPL?

Read 1328 times
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Celtic / Rangers leaving SPL?
      Oct 17, 2009 01:32:52 am
      Caught a brief report on BBC Sport..Is it true.  They said they were going to go to an English Division poss. Championship or League One.. Or some sort of mixed Euro league w/ Italian,French,German,Dutch teams from mid tier divisions.

IMO..I would like them to stay in SPL. I know the dollars aren't their. but w.out Celtic or Rangers the SPL is done!.. Plus that really takes away from the whole "Old Firm".

I would miss it.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Re: Celtic / Rangers leaving SPL?
      Reply #1: Oct 17, 2009 01:50:23 am
      I was reading about some Atlantic league which they are going to form with other 2nd tier European leagues like Holland. I always felt this talk about European Super Leagues, Celtic/Rangers joining the EPL, Belgium clubs joining Dutch league etc is silly. I think it would kill the very nature of the game which is based on domestic leagues and domestic play.

As far as the SPL they would be dead pretty much, sure it would be more competitive at the top without the big two but the amount of supporters in which Celtic and Rangers bring to the football stadiums all over Scotland would really put a dent in the bottom line. Also the fact why would any TV carrier buy into the SPL with when their two greatest assets are not there.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #2: Oct 17, 2009 01:54:24 am
      What about hearts and hibs they are pretty big teams with big following in a decent sized city. They would be made up.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #3: Oct 17, 2009 02:17:44 am
      If this happens i will be right pissed off. Takes away from the very heart of the game, playing against your fellow countryside teams, bragging rights for the fans between cities and counties. SPL will be a dead thing as well, will become just a small league that no-one but the people of the respective towns and cities take any notice of.
      Back to the rivalries though, i mean there would be none besides that Old Firm one! They might develop, but they wouldn't be great. I mean it just doesn't seem right to be regularly playing against teams whose fans don't even speak the same language. Then what happens to Uefa Cup and such? How do they work that? If they are travelling week in/week out just for the league, then Uefa Cup/Champions league, then there will be alot of bitching about travel im sure. Do not like this idea at all, the privilege to play teams from other nations is earned by finishing top of a DOMESTIC league, not a mash-up of teams thinking they are to good for there own league, it's just a slap in the face for the likes of Hearts, Hibs, Dundee Utd etc.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #4: Oct 17, 2009 02:31:54 am
      Stupid idea. They're from Scotland - play there!
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #5: Oct 17, 2009 02:36:23 am
      What about hearts and hibs they are pretty big teams with big following in a decent sized city. They would be made up.
      They certainly have a big following and their supporters are just a passionate as Celtic/Rangers. But in terms of " Money" they are second tier.  They could just not fill the void needed to keep SPL afloat.  

Maybe find some way of merging SPL into the FA and start them in League One and see who makes it the the EPL. That would be a lot better, and I would think that would be awesome.  I mean if Cardiff and other Welsh teams play in the FA why not Scottish clubs? They would certainly make more in TV money than staying in SPL.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #6: Oct 17, 2009 02:40:13 am
      If they do then they should start in the Blue Square Divisions and have to work their way up like Morecombe or whoever it was that had to start in the Conference i think.

But to be honest they are Scottish teams so they should be in the Scottish leagues not coming into the English leagues for god sake.

Think it's an abysmal idea and people are mad for even considering it.
      fc~hansa~fing
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 27 posts |
      Reply #7: Oct 18, 2009 02:06:19 pm
      I think Celtic and the Rangers will lose attractiveness when they join the premierleague and they`ll for sure never  play in the championsleague or the europe league again. The next step shall be that there is a great britain league or what ? i think that they can`t easily forget the fans and their traditions .
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #8: Oct 18, 2009 04:11:30 pm
      Absurd idea.

There is already the CL and Europa league for teams from other countries to play one another, I don't see the interest in these kind of proposals whatsoever.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #9: Oct 18, 2009 04:25:32 pm
      Got to agree the only thing this is about is money there's no doubt that the chairman the shareholders of Celtic and Rangers will be 100% behind the move for all the wrong reasons. The clubs history and traditions will be swept away for a few dollars more there should be a referendum and a free vote on matchdays.

Quick Reply