Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Which would you prefer to win 2007 / 08

Premiership
      (98.1%)
      European Cup
      (1.9%)

Europe or Premiership next season

Read 4944 times
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Europe or Premiership next season
      Apr 27, 2007 07:26:04 am
      Have been playing with this thought that if there was a choice, would you want Liverpool to win the league next season or the CL?

I am going with the league.

What say ye?

Sorry guys wanted to make this a POLL but don't seem to be able to!? (done  :))
      « Last Edit: Apr 27, 2007 09:07:25 am by mrtommo »
      richbull76
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 53 posts |
      Re: Europe or Premiership next season
      Reply #1: Apr 27, 2007 07:51:42 am
      Both  ;)

Got to be the league Title, would love to see us perform week in week out throughout the season and actually challenge for it, rather thean 3/4th all the time, We always have a dip in form, and an awfull start to the season over the past few seasons. Lets hope that there is a bit of activity in the transfer market, and bring in a few to make us into title winners, Although the champions league would still be good, best put up a challenge when we aim to retain it in successive seasons, but lets win it in athens first once we get there  ;) ;D :o ::)
      Rhys.a.red.
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 56 posts |
      • Everywhere leads to somewhere
      Reply #2: Apr 27, 2007 08:30:16 am
      Got to be the prem.
      I think raffa will have this in mind in the summer. With the money he will get i think we will go all out for the league.
      When we lift the trophy in Athens, that would be the second in 3 years so i think it will just springboard us onto the league. :champ:
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #3: Apr 27, 2007 09:08:28 am
      Interviewed shortly after the 1973 League & UEFA cup ā€˜doubleā€™, Bill Shankly pointed proudly to the glistening First Division championship trophy and described it as the clubā€™s ā€œbread and butterā€. He said that being successful in Europe had been good for the club and good for the country but that winning the League was what the club wanted to do ā€œall the timeā€.
      So next year win the league first and then add a seventh European cup to put the finishing touches to the season ;D
      bobbins
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts |
      Reply #4: Apr 27, 2007 01:46:29 pm
      Premier league for sure, just to stop those manc's and chevski's saying, yeah well you've never won the premier league, like it's a different thing to before, it's still a league title, and we have 18.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #5: Apr 27, 2007 02:01:59 pm
      Obviously has to be the Prem. It's been far too long since our last title and that's the most important thing to win.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #6: Apr 27, 2007 02:45:39 pm
      Ooo. Why can't we have both?
      ;)
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      Reply #7: Apr 27, 2007 03:06:20 pm
      has to be the prem, how sweet would that be??? :)

if poss tho both ;)
      TH14
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #8: Apr 27, 2007 03:29:06 pm
      Hi all new here.

If liverpool wins the CL this year, then the main focus next year should be the EPL title. If Liverpool doesn't win the CL, then you should be challenging for all major trophies next season and on wards.
      wdavidw10
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #9: Apr 27, 2007 03:58:40 pm
      its gotta be league, i wud like both tho, bt the league is wot we need!!
      Mickey LFC4Ever
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 76 posts | -6 
      Reply #10: Apr 27, 2007 04:40:19 pm
      defo the league, been too long i just cant take it anymore, buy a decent striker in the summer then play weakened teams in the league cup and fa cup to lessen the amount of games we play and just focus on the league.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #11: Apr 27, 2007 06:23:36 pm
      Weve got to challenge for the title next season europe would be a bonus aswell,lets win all 4.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #12: Apr 27, 2007 08:28:53 pm
      Got to the Prem by now and of course the Super Cup, which we'll be contesting as European Cup wimnners for the 6th time....
      Adam_lfcfan
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 108 posts |
      • A team of Carras...apart from up front!!
      Reply #13: Apr 27, 2007 09:40:38 pm
      Premiership preferably but i want to be greedy and win as many trophies as we can!!!!!!!!
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #14: Jun 06, 2007 01:23:22 am
      So... everyone's keen on a trip to Moscow then ;)
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,775 posts | 6724 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #15: Jun 06, 2007 01:52:05 am
      Premiership for me, sick of seeing those Chavs and the Mancs standing on that podium on the last day, cringing that it should have been us. :(
      terry_anthony
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 66 posts |
      • U'll NeVEr WaLk AloNe
      Reply #16: Jun 06, 2007 09:27:34 am
      League for me!!

If we can get both CL and League it will be better. Can we?

We have to get some quality players in. Hopefully as soon as possible or else everyone else will beat us in purchasing players just like Nani.
      « Last Edit: Jun 06, 2007 09:33:29 am by JD, Reason: Post tidied up. »
      Davejh65
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 62 posts |
      Reply #17: Jun 06, 2007 09:59:53 am
      We are one of the top clubs in the Country AND in Europe, we have a big enough squad and getting to be good enough players,  surely we need to think BOTH!! I know United think that way and so do Chelski.  If you don't think you can do it, you can't do it. 

It's time to be positive, stand up and say we can and we WILL, not pussyfoot about saying every game as it comes and how hard it is.  Be bold I say, come out and say (Rafa,Hicks,et al) we are going for them all and thats it!   egg on our faces I can take but confidence is key.   

Fire in ye belly and a goal to aim at, not 1 or the other if possible.

DH
      mr.green
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 89 posts |
      Reply #18: Jun 06, 2007 10:14:50 am
      both
      I think Liverpool win Premiership and CL next season.
      ynwa
      TINHEAD14
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 117 posts |
      Reply #19: Jun 06, 2007 11:55:16 am
      The main target must be a strong challenge at the title, but if champions league final comes along again, musnt grumble!
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #20: Jun 06, 2007 12:06:14 pm
      I hope we dont have a sh*tty start to the season like last season and the one before that. The prem must be top priority
      Naza05
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts |
      Reply #21: Jun 06, 2007 12:12:31 pm
      Why not both???

EPL first choice and then if possible the champions league i think we have a good chance to challenge for both depending on who's being brought in
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #22: Jun 06, 2007 12:24:53 pm
      Well, I think the poll's been pretty conclusive, it has to be the Prem next season.

At the end of the day, great as it is the Champions League is a cup competition, and there will always be an element of luck involved (or so will be stated by opposition supporters). To be considered truly as a great team we have to do it consistently over the course of a season & win the league. It's been far too long for a team of our standing.
      ozzyred
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 153 posts |
      Reply #23: Jun 06, 2007 06:49:40 pm
      the treble
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #24: Jun 07, 2007 12:03:59 am
      Agree with most, it's been far too long since we have won the league. I want to see a good strong start to the season to give us a platform to win the title.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #25: Jun 07, 2007 09:14:09 am
      I think Rafa  made a mistake last season when putting weaker sides out to play the lesser teams and so often it backfired. We must play our STRONGEST available side every prem game, home and away ! When you're two or three goals up, then you can give the top players a rest. This is the only tactic which will win us the prem.          The C.L. ?      We already have a sucessful format for that one so no reason why we can't do both.! 
      davie t
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 501 posts |
      Reply #26: Jun 07, 2007 11:41:25 am
      Its got to be the League for me because its been sooo long since we last won it.
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #27: Jun 07, 2007 01:20:30 pm
      I think Rafa  made a mistake last season when putting weaker sides out to play the lesser teams and so often it backfired. We must play our STRONGEST available side every prem game, home and away ! When you're two or three goals up, then you can give the top players a rest. This is the only tactic which will win us the prem.          The C.L. ?      We already have a sucessful format for that one so no reason why we can't do both.! 

100% right there. U dont see manc or chelsea holding back their top guns for small clubs
      LFC LEGENDS
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 98 posts | -1 
      • Ynwa
      Reply #28: Jun 08, 2007 02:06:16 am
      The League. No more words needed its been way to long
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #29: Jun 09, 2007 10:33:49 am
      i think we should try and get all the cups we play in.
      lstrex
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #30: Jun 09, 2007 01:25:51 pm
      with a top scorer (like micheal owen  :P) we could win both easy but id have to say the scum are getting closer on 16 and as an 18year old i cant renember the last time we won the league then the champions league
      samcharles
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 181 posts | -9 
      Reply #31: Jun 09, 2007 01:56:31 pm
      "form is temporary class is permanent"
      Cork City FC
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 32 posts |
      • Cork City FC - The Rebel Army
      Reply #32: Jun 09, 2007 02:04:23 pm
      I'd say Liverpool will make another big push for the Champions League again this year. I'm not too sure about the Premiership. They just have the kind of manager that plays a European style of soccer as apposed to and English style, in my opinion. I'd say that they'll finish 3/4th in the Premiership nad make at least the quarter-finals of the Champions League.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #33: Jun 09, 2007 03:50:53 pm
      Liverpool will win the premiership next season!!! No doubt in my mind that we will win it. I already have $100 on at 10/1 in Tab in Australia so I am guaranteed $1000, happy days. And there is no reason we can't win the champions league or the FA Cup again ;) ;D
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,775 posts | 6724 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #34: Jun 11, 2007 02:46:22 am
      Liverpool will win the premiership next season!!! No doubt in my mind that we will win it. I already have $100 on at 10/1 in Tab in Australia so I am guaranteed $1000, happy days. And there is no reason we can't win the champions league or the FA Cup again ;) ;D

mattmcg, since you won't be here to collect it mate (I think you said you're going home in December)...I'll collect it and hold onto it for you mate ;). Happy days indeed ;D
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #35: Jun 11, 2007 09:33:47 pm
      As Shankly put it, the leagues our bread and butter! It's what we need regularly at Anfield! European Cups are lovely too obviously!  8) But the Premiership is a must now!
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #36: Jun 11, 2007 09:54:19 pm
      The league has to the no.1 choice them pricks are getting too close to our record for comfort!
      samcharles
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 181 posts | -9 
      Reply #37: Jun 11, 2007 10:03:23 pm
      liverpool will not win the prem next year not with the crap and the politics in the transfer matters going on and Rafa not getting his 3 major signings that he said he wanted in April................... get used to it we are all being let down at the moment....... i love our liverpool but I'm so upset with what I'm reading between the lines. i love the reds but we are not going to win the prem and it pains me to even write this. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #38: Jun 13, 2007 11:14:26 pm
      liverpool will not win the prem next year not with the crap and the politics in the transfer matters going on and Rafa not getting his 3 major signings that he said he wanted in April................... get used to it we are all being let down at the moment....... I love our liverpool but I'm so upset with what I'm reading between the lines. I love the reds but we are not going to win the prem and it pains me to even write this. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

More optimism please fella 8) In Rafa We Trust!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #39: Jun 14, 2007 12:38:56 am
      liverpool will not win the prem next year not with the crap and the politics in the transfer matters going on and Rafa not getting his 3 major signings that he said he wanted in April................... get used to it we are all being let down at the moment....... I love our liverpool but I'm so upset with what I'm reading between the lines. I love the reds but we are not going to win the prem and it pains me to even write this. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Look mate, get your head together. First of all, would you prefer us to win the league or the champions league next season. That's what this thread is about. Personally (no offence DM Osbon) I don't think this thread is debatable. League comes first!

Second of all, I can understand your frustration at the moment, but if you feel so strongly about us being let down and us definitely not winning the league next season, then why not start a thread with valid reasons why? Then we can have a sensible debate about it.

slimdogg
      • Forum John Barnes

• 407 posts |
      Reply #40: Jun 14, 2007 06:38:25 am
      It's gotta be the prem, no matter how many leagues we have won none of the come with the word premiership in it
      bruno7
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 52 posts |
      Reply #41: Jun 14, 2007 11:13:05 am
      Premership, But Number 6 would still be very much welcome of course.
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #42: Jun 14, 2007 11:45:35 am
      No matter how much money we have to spend in the transfer market, the prem is not garanteed. Chelski didnt win it in thier first year of roman's rule. This money needs to be available every year and january to make sure we are on the up and up.

dont mean to be a rotten apple, but still hope they can do it. Lord knows we have the ability
      boblfcec5
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 38 posts |
      Reply #43: Jun 14, 2007 06:14:04 pm
      has to be premiership we need to close the gap
      Wellzy
      • Forum John Barnes

• 422 posts |
      • Sports Journalist
      Reply #44: Jun 14, 2007 07:18:41 pm
      Samcharles, your really starting to piss me off and many other members for that matter. With your "close contact" rumours with the club. Then going and saying the complete opposite. Your sudden outbursts are incredibly annoying.

Pull yourself together, your talking about Liverpool as if we are fighting relegation! Couldnt be more far from it lad. We need fans with optimism, support for Rafa and the players and love for Liverpool FC. Not some crying git who keeps coming out with statements like "We will not win the prem."

You should seriously think about where your loyalty lies and think before you post.
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #45: Jun 14, 2007 08:34:56 pm
      It has to be the Prem and it has to be before we leave Anfield, simple as that.
      Where better than here and when better than now?

Only time will tell what is going on behind closed doors at Anfield. I read the transfer and speculations but in all honesty I don't want to get into that kind of talk. I can make my own choices regards who I'd like to see come and go but that won't change a thing. I can only really offer any decent debate as and when the transfers happen.
      Decisions are made which will please or annoy fans but we have to have faith in those we pay to bring fruits to bear. Rafas' most curious choice recently was his team selection and formation in the Champions League Final. I will never understand why he didn't start Crouchy up front with Kuyt ??? That mystified me no end! But he has seen sufficient class from Crouchy in both Prem and CL to keep him and hopefully will add another World class striker to complement him. We need to get the front line sorted and quickly. It was our Achilles heel last season!

I hope desperately we do better than 3rd next season. Since the last time we won the league in '89/'90 if you add up all our finishing positions divided by the number of years since we won the title it's 3.6 which is not really good enough for a club of our caliber! Our best position was 2nd in 2001/2 soon after our 5 trophy haul under Houllier. Without winning the league they were good times but I would swap all those trophies for a sustained challenge at the Prem resulting with us be crowned Premiership Champions - at Anfield - She deserves a swan song of the highest order.

Where better than here and when better than now?  ;)

boblfcec5
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 38 posts |
      Reply #46: Jun 16, 2007 06:19:15 pm
      Samcharles, your really starting to piss me off and many other members for that matter. With your "close contact" rumours with the club. Then going and saying the complete opposite. Your sudden outbursts are incredibly annoying.

Pull yourself together, your talking about Liverpool as if we are fighting relegation! Couldnt be more far from it lad. We need fans with optimism, support for Rafa and the players and love for Liverpool FC. Not some crying git who keeps coming out with statements like "We will not win the prem."

You should seriously think about where your loyalty lies and think before you post.

Well said here have been on a number of posts in the forum and the crap that is coming from Samcharles mouth makes me laugh or is that cry!! He seems to think he knows  more then anyone. Sam unless you have actual facts on something why are you posting or are you just trying to get us all to think the same as you....never going to happen!! You pessimistic  view to our transfer dealings don't forget the season only ended like a month ago we still have 2 months left so we shouldn't be worrying now. And to say we won't win the premiership is just mad, how is that supporting your team come on sort it out!!!! LFC forever You'll Never Walk Alone!!!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #47: Jun 17, 2007 10:37:03 pm
      Obviously we want the league - whats with this prem/premiership sh*t, can't stand the term - please don't fall for that sky sh*te

Tis why we keep saying we want no 19 - under this prem crap it would be our first if yer catch me drift - don't fall for it!

Anyway we exist to win trophies, haven't voted cos I'm a greedy c**t and I want both!!
      Liverpool Fc Biggest Fan
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts |
      Reply #48: Jun 18, 2007 12:16:30 pm
      Premier league

Quick Reply