Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Stadium of lights' Beach-ball Goal Appeal?

Read 7487 times
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,071 posts |
      Stadium of lights' Beach-ball Goal Appeal?
      Oct 18, 2009 01:10:14 pm
      Jeff Winters was on BBC radio 5live saying it's a basic law that if there is something on the pitch that interfere with the game, the game has to be stopped..

There is no excuse for our sh*t performance yesterday but surely we can appeal for a rematch or the goal to be scrapped for the match to be 0-0...

Should we appeal?
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Re: Stadium of lights' Beach-ball Goal Appeal?
      Reply #1: Oct 18, 2009 01:12:38 pm
      Can we?

Can you really see them chalking it off or replaying the game though? I can't.

It's one of those things that will inform future occasions, but sadly, not the example.
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #2: Oct 18, 2009 01:14:11 pm
      Jeff Winters was on BBC radio 5live saying it's a basic law that if there is something on the pitch that interfere with the game, the game has to be stopped..

There is no excuse for our sh*t performance yesterday but surely we can appeal for a rematch or the goal to be scrapped for the match to be 0-0...

Should we appeal?

Far worse decisions have happened in the game and have stood. One this season at Crystal Palace which was worse. Beach Ball was a wrong decision but we still had 93 minutes to score and we never. Who can we send an appeal to for that?

Trying to make an appeal to get a 0-0 at Sunderland just proves how shocking we were.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #3: Oct 18, 2009 01:20:12 pm
      We just have to take the result , whether we like it or not.

We conceded in the 4th minute, there were 86 minutes plus injury time for us to score and win the game, we didn't.
      There's not much point in dwelling about this and we should just move on and make changes for the future.
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #4: Oct 18, 2009 01:20:47 pm
      I wouldn't appeal even if we had the chance to.

We deserved to lose the game, no excuses for that. It'll give the lads a kick up in the arse how sh*t they were as well.

Like that danny said, 93 minutes to score and we didn't take advantage. Shows how poor we were, not up to any standard that we should be near to, and going into an appeal (and possibly winning it) would take the focus off our performance in the game.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #5: Oct 18, 2009 01:23:18 pm
      Going back 7 or 8 years there was a FA cup game between Arsenal and Sheffield United.. There was a injury on the pitch and the ball was kicked out of play by United.. The throw was took by Arsenal supposely back to United's posession but Overmars took control of the loose ball and scored... And the goal stood by letter of the law... But arsene wenger offered a rematch...

In our situation the referee should have known this basic rule.... It happen again in another game but it cost us a point....
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,389 posts | 2823 
      Reply #6: Oct 18, 2009 01:26:19 pm
      We'd never get a successful appeal here. Never.

It was a mistake, and it will happen less in the future because of yesterday but yesterday still won't be corrected.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,279 posts | 2834 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #7: Oct 18, 2009 01:34:22 pm
      Not Liverpool's style. We lost we move on
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #8: Oct 18, 2009 01:40:10 pm
      Freak goal was 'wrongly allowed'
      A former FA Premier League referee says he is "amazed" Sunderland's winner against Liverpool, which deflected off a beach ball, was allowed to stand.

Jeff Winter told BBC Radio 5 live: "Everyone's going to have a field day but nobody's getting upset about it.

"But the laws of the game clearly state that if there's an outside interference the game has to be stopped.

"The referee (Mike Jones) and his assistant knew something was wrong, and it should have been a dropped ball."

The incident occurred when Darren Bent took a first-time shot from just inside the penalty area in one of Sunderland's first attacks during Saturday's Premier League match at the Stadium of Light.

The ball evaded Glen Johnson's attempted block and, at almost the same time, deflected off a large red beach ball at the edge of the six-yard box.

Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina found his eyes initially drawn to the path of the beach ball and was wrong-footed, in no position to make the save.Jones did seem to consult the assistant referee but allowed the goal to stand.

Winter said: "Sunderland fans would say it would have probably gone in anyway and that it was a Liverpool fan who threw it [the beach ball] on the pitch.

"But I'm absolutely amazed. It is a basic law in football and the goal should just not have stood.

"I am absolutely amazed that a referee at that level of football, that between him, his assistant and the fourth official they didn't see what had happened and give the correct decision.

"There would have been absolute ructions at the Stadium of Light because the fans wouldn't have understood what had happened but I was watching yesterday afternoon and I was thinking 'hang on this can't be right'.

"I try to defend referees whenever possible but this, in terms of interpreting the laws of the game, is far more serious than when a ball crosses a line and somebody doesn't see it."But on this occasion the irony is that everyone is having a laugh and a joke about it."

After the incident, Reina was furious and rushed to remonstrate with a referee's assistant - but the goal stood despite a Fifa law which states: "The referee stops, suspends or terminates the match because of outside interference of any kind."

Rafael Benitez, Liverpool's manager, refused to focus his anger on the fifth-minute incident calling it a "a very technical question".

"It was a special situation but we didn't play well," he said.

"The goal changed the game but we made some mistakes and gave the ball away. When we had our chances, we didn't take them. These things can happen. It's a bad situation for us that the [beach] ball was in the middle and was influential but again I will say we didn't play well - that's the main thing for me."

His counterpart, Steve Bruce, said he initially thought the strike might have taken a deflection off Johnson rather than the beach ball.
      Having found out what had actually happened, he said: "If you really know that rule then you are a little bit sad. I didn't know the rule that if a ball hit an object it should be a dropped ball, I always thought it's Sod's Law and you carry on, but there we are.

"We've had a bit of luck there way, it's one of those things but it's obviously helped our cause.

Freak goal was 'wrongly allowed'

Does not change much, we were sh*te, but the result may have been different as they may have played differently, but we were poor.
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/8312966.stm
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #9: Oct 18, 2009 01:51:02 pm
      Nothing can be changed now really.

Just look at that disallowed goal scored in The Championship this year. That was absolutely ridiculous and they haven't been awarded the goal/a replay since.
      rez
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 101 posts |
      Reply #10: Oct 18, 2009 03:22:51 pm
      I wouldn't appeal even if we had the chance to.

We deserved to lose the game, no excuses for that. It'll give the lads a kick up in the arse how sh*t they were as well.

Like that danny said, 93 minutes to score and we didn't take advantage. Shows how poor we were, not up to any standard that we should be near to, and going into an appeal (and possibly winning it) would take the focus off our performance in the game.

Completely agree with this. Imagine how much we'd have to hear about this from other fans and the media etc if it was to be played again. I'd rather win the title without people saying we didn't deserve it. Take it as a well dererved kick up the arse for not playing good enough!
      philH
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 628 posts |
      Reply #11: Oct 18, 2009 03:24:02 pm
      Agree with reds on Fire We were S**t  take the defeat on the chin and move on.
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #12: Oct 18, 2009 03:29:51 pm
      Maybe if it happened in the dying minutes of the match and we ended up losing, then i could understand the reason for appealing.

But the fact is we had 85+ minutes to equalise and we didn't, because we were sh*t.

We've got to move on.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #13: Oct 18, 2009 03:55:20 pm
      What I find sad is Bruce's reaction when he states that ''if you really know that rule your a little bit sad'', it's a refs job to know the rules and they get paid good money to know the rules of the game, so for Bruce to say that is daft, and again I say a Ref should know the rules, as for Bruce he should have that quoted back to him the next time his team suffers from a refs bad decision....
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #14: Oct 18, 2009 04:02:06 pm
      What I find sad is Bruce's reaction when he states that ''if you really know that rule your a little bit sad'', it's a refs job to know the rules and they get paid good money to know the rules of the game, so for Bruce to say that is daft, and again I say a Ref should know the rules, as for Bruce he should have that quoted back to him the next time his team suffers from a refs bad decision....

F**k Bruce, I knew that rule, does it make me sad? :f_tongueincheek:

PhilH is right. Take it on the chin, it's not like we played beautifully and were cheated. We played like sh*t and got beat, now let's move on.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #15: Oct 18, 2009 04:03:26 pm
      Should I really answer that question? :f_whistle: :f_tongueincheek:
      Shay
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,732 posts | 46 
      Reply #16: Oct 18, 2009 04:17:49 pm

PhilH is right. Take it on the chin, it's not like we played beautifully and were cheated. We played like sh*t and got beat, now let's move on.

My thoughts exactly, AA.  We were dire and didn't deserve anything from the game.

By the way, I assume all referees should know the basics of football law, is fat head calling them all sad?  Have we got another Fergiegate here?
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #17: Oct 18, 2009 05:00:16 pm
      I think a re-match is in order, the ref obviously made a glaring error that directly effected the result, we should appeal straight away, we need every point we can get now.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,389 posts | 2823 
      Reply #18: Oct 18, 2009 05:07:54 pm
      I think a re-match is in order, the ref obviously made a glaring error that directly effected the result, we should appeal straight away, we need every point we can get now.

How often does that happen though?

Did we get a replay when Chelsea got that lucky penalty against us a couple of seasons ago? Did Celtic get a replay because of Eduardo's dive? Celtic could have claimed that they result of the match could have been different had that goal not gone in.

Mistakes will happen and will continue to happen. And replays will not happen and will continue not to happen.

Now let's do what great teams do by taking it on the chin and moving on to the next game.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #19: Oct 18, 2009 05:30:03 pm
      We lost. Deal with it.

The goal shouldn't have stood, but the players being so abysmal deserved to lose it and Sunderblunder deseved to win it. We will move on, the LFC way.
      Esoteric Mist
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 577 posts | -5 
      Reply #20: Oct 18, 2009 06:07:35 pm
      Its a sad way to loose, but we're lucky we only lost 1-0. If it weren't for reina it would've been 3-0
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #21: Oct 18, 2009 06:18:13 pm
      Quit with the F***ing whining - appeal my ARSE. We're not Man U - what's done is done, sh*t happens and we move on.
      CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Reply #22: Oct 18, 2009 06:19:11 pm
      At least it didn't skrew our healthy goal difference.  We had our chances too if we'd had better finishers on the pitch damn! Tough week ahead Lyon have only lost 1 match this weekend so they'll be al fired up to bounce-back.  Rafa andthe Team needs our total support for this one. YNWA

Quick Reply