Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Stadium of lights' Beach-ball Goal Appeal?

Read 7486 times
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,071 posts |
      Stadium of lights' Beach-ball Goal Appeal?
      Oct 18, 2009 01:10:14 pm
      Jeff Winters was on BBC radio 5live saying it's a basic law that if there is something on the pitch that interfere with the game, the game has to be stopped..

There is no excuse for our sh*t performance yesterday but surely we can appeal for a rematch or the goal to be scrapped for the match to be 0-0...

Should we appeal?
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Re: Stadium of lights' Beach-ball Goal Appeal?
      Reply #1: Oct 18, 2009 01:12:38 pm
      Can we?

Can you really see them chalking it off or replaying the game though? I can't.

It's one of those things that will inform future occasions, but sadly, not the example.
      danny8t4
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,819 posts | 51 
      Reply #2: Oct 18, 2009 01:14:11 pm
      Jeff Winters was on BBC radio 5live saying it's a basic law that if there is something on the pitch that interfere with the game, the game has to be stopped..

There is no excuse for our sh*t performance yesterday but surely we can appeal for a rematch or the goal to be scrapped for the match to be 0-0...

Should we appeal?

Far worse decisions have happened in the game and have stood. One this season at Crystal Palace which was worse. Beach Ball was a wrong decision but we still had 93 minutes to score and we never. Who can we send an appeal to for that?

Trying to make an appeal to get a 0-0 at Sunderland just proves how shocking we were.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #3: Oct 18, 2009 01:20:12 pm
      We just have to take the result , whether we like it or not.

We conceded in the 4th minute, there were 86 minutes plus injury time for us to score and win the game, we didn't.
      There's not much point in dwelling about this and we should just move on and make changes for the future.
      redsonfire
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,660 posts | 111 
      • 96 Candles Burn Bright
      Reply #4: Oct 18, 2009 01:20:47 pm
      I wouldn't appeal even if we had the chance to.

We deserved to lose the game, no excuses for that. It'll give the lads a kick up in the arse how sh*t they were as well.

Like that danny said, 93 minutes to score and we didn't take advantage. Shows how poor we were, not up to any standard that we should be near to, and going into an appeal (and possibly winning it) would take the focus off our performance in the game.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #5: Oct 18, 2009 01:23:18 pm
      Going back 7 or 8 years there was a FA cup game between Arsenal and Sheffield United.. There was a injury on the pitch and the ball was kicked out of play by United.. The throw was took by Arsenal supposely back to United's posession but Overmars took control of the loose ball and scored... And the goal stood by letter of the law... But arsene wenger offered a rematch...

In our situation the referee should have known this basic rule.... It happen again in another game but it cost us a point....
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,389 posts | 2823 
      Reply #6: Oct 18, 2009 01:26:19 pm
      We'd never get a successful appeal here. Never.

It was a mistake, and it will happen less in the future because of yesterday but yesterday still won't be corrected.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,279 posts | 2834 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #7: Oct 18, 2009 01:34:22 pm
      Not Liverpool's style. We lost we move on
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #8: Oct 18, 2009 01:40:10 pm
      Freak goal was 'wrongly allowed'
      A former FA Premier League referee says he is "amazed" Sunderland's winner against Liverpool, which deflected off a beach ball, was allowed to stand.

Jeff Winter told BBC Radio 5 live: "Everyone's going to have a field day but nobody's getting upset about it.

"But the laws of the game clearly state that if there's an outside interference the game has to be stopped.

"The referee (Mike Jones) and his assistant knew something was wrong, and it should have been a dropped ball."

The incident occurred when Darren Bent took a first-time shot from just inside the penalty area in one of Sunderland's first attacks during Saturday's Premier League match at the Stadium of Light.

The ball evaded Glen Johnson's attempted block and, at almost the same time, deflected off a large red beach ball at the edge of the six-yard box.

Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina found his eyes initially drawn to the path of the beach ball and was wrong-footed, in no position to make the save.Jones did seem to consult the assistant referee but allowed the goal to stand.

Winter said: "Sunderland fans would say it would have probably gone in anyway and that it was a Liverpool fan who threw it [the beach ball] on the pitch.

"But I'm absolutely amazed. It is a basic law in football and the goal should just not have stood.

"I am absolutely amazed that a referee at that level of football, that between him, his assistant and the fourth official they didn't see what had happened and give the correct decision.

"There would have been absolute ructions at the Stadium of Light because the fans wouldn't have understood what had happened but I was watching yesterday afternoon and I was thinking 'hang on this can't be right'.

"I try to defend referees whenever possible but this, in terms of interpreting the laws of the game, is far more serious than when a ball crosses a line and somebody doesn't see it."But on this occasion the irony is that everyone is having a laugh and a joke about it."

After the incident, Reina was furious and rushed to remonstrate with a referee's assistant - but the goal stood despite a Fifa law which states: "The referee stops, suspends or terminates the match because of outside interference of any kind."

Rafael Benitez, Liverpool's manager, refused to focus his anger on the fifth-minute incident calling it a "a very technical question".

"It was a special situation but we didn't play well," he said.

"The goal changed the game but we made some mistakes and gave the ball away. When we had our chances, we didn't take them. These things can happen. It's a bad situation for us that the [beach] ball was in the middle and was influential but again I will say we didn't play well - that's the main thing for me."

His counterpart, Steve Bruce, said he initially thought the strike might have taken a deflection off Johnson rather than the beach ball.
      Having found out what had actually happened, he said: "If you really know that rule then you are a little bit sad. I didn't know the rule that if a ball hit an object it should be a dropped ball, I always thought it's Sod's Law and you carry on, but there we are.

"We've had a bit of luck there way, it's one of those things but it's obviously helped our cause.

Freak goal was 'wrongly allowed'

Does not change much, we were sh*te, but the result may have been different as they may have played differently, but we were poor.
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/8312966.stm
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #9: Oct 18, 2009 01:51:02 pm
      Nothing can be changed now really.

Just look at that disallowed goal scored in The Championship this year. That was absolutely ridiculous and they haven't been awarded the goal/a replay since.
      rez
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 101 posts |
      Reply #10: Oct 18, 2009 03:22:51 pm
      I wouldn't appeal even if we had the chance to.

We deserved to lose the game, no excuses for that. It'll give the lads a kick up in the arse how sh*t they were as well.

Like that danny said, 93 minutes to score and we didn't take advantage. Shows how poor we were, not up to any standard that we should be near to, and going into an appeal (and possibly winning it) would take the focus off our performance in the game.

Completely agree with this. Imagine how much we'd have to hear about this from other fans and the media etc if it was to be played again. I'd rather win the title without people saying we didn't deserve it. Take it as a well dererved kick up the arse for not playing good enough!
      philH
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 628 posts |
      Reply #11: Oct 18, 2009 03:24:02 pm
      Agree with reds on Fire We were S**t  take the defeat on the chin and move on.
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #12: Oct 18, 2009 03:29:51 pm
      Maybe if it happened in the dying minutes of the match and we ended up losing, then i could understand the reason for appealing.

But the fact is we had 85+ minutes to equalise and we didn't, because we were sh*t.

We've got to move on.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #13: Oct 18, 2009 03:55:20 pm
      What I find sad is Bruce's reaction when he states that ''if you really know that rule your a little bit sad'', it's a refs job to know the rules and they get paid good money to know the rules of the game, so for Bruce to say that is daft, and again I say a Ref should know the rules, as for Bruce he should have that quoted back to him the next time his team suffers from a refs bad decision....
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #14: Oct 18, 2009 04:02:06 pm
      What I find sad is Bruce's reaction when he states that ''if you really know that rule your a little bit sad'', it's a refs job to know the rules and they get paid good money to know the rules of the game, so for Bruce to say that is daft, and again I say a Ref should know the rules, as for Bruce he should have that quoted back to him the next time his team suffers from a refs bad decision....

F**k Bruce, I knew that rule, does it make me sad? :f_tongueincheek:

PhilH is right. Take it on the chin, it's not like we played beautifully and were cheated. We played like sh*t and got beat, now let's move on.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #15: Oct 18, 2009 04:03:26 pm
      Should I really answer that question? :f_whistle: :f_tongueincheek:
      Shay
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,732 posts | 46 
      Reply #16: Oct 18, 2009 04:17:49 pm

PhilH is right. Take it on the chin, it's not like we played beautifully and were cheated. We played like sh*t and got beat, now let's move on.

My thoughts exactly, AA.  We were dire and didn't deserve anything from the game.

By the way, I assume all referees should know the basics of football law, is fat head calling them all sad?  Have we got another Fergiegate here?
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #17: Oct 18, 2009 05:00:16 pm
      I think a re-match is in order, the ref obviously made a glaring error that directly effected the result, we should appeal straight away, we need every point we can get now.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,389 posts | 2823 
      Reply #18: Oct 18, 2009 05:07:54 pm
      I think a re-match is in order, the ref obviously made a glaring error that directly effected the result, we should appeal straight away, we need every point we can get now.

How often does that happen though?

Did we get a replay when Chelsea got that lucky penalty against us a couple of seasons ago? Did Celtic get a replay because of Eduardo's dive? Celtic could have claimed that they result of the match could have been different had that goal not gone in.

Mistakes will happen and will continue to happen. And replays will not happen and will continue not to happen.

Now let's do what great teams do by taking it on the chin and moving on to the next game.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #19: Oct 18, 2009 05:30:03 pm
      We lost. Deal with it.

The goal shouldn't have stood, but the players being so abysmal deserved to lose it and Sunderblunder deseved to win it. We will move on, the LFC way.
      Esoteric Mist
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 577 posts | -5 
      Reply #20: Oct 18, 2009 06:07:35 pm
      Its a sad way to loose, but we're lucky we only lost 1-0. If it weren't for reina it would've been 3-0
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #21: Oct 18, 2009 06:18:13 pm
      Quit with the F***ing whining - appeal my ARSE. We're not Man U - what's done is done, sh*t happens and we move on.
      CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Reply #22: Oct 18, 2009 06:19:11 pm
      At least it didn't skrew our healthy goal difference.  We had our chances too if we'd had better finishers on the pitch damn! Tough week ahead Lyon have only lost 1 match this weekend so they'll be al fired up to bounce-back.  Rafa andthe Team needs our total support for this one. YNWA
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,241 posts | 8575 
      Reply #23: Oct 18, 2009 06:20:36 pm
      Quit with the F***ing whining - appeal my ARSE. We're not Man U

Or Neil Warnock or Fat Sam!
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #24: Oct 18, 2009 06:40:57 pm
      Dmasta, CurlyRed, vydex and 330 Guests are viewing this topic. :o
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #25: Oct 18, 2009 07:17:36 pm
      I actually hear there will be an investigation by the FA looking into cheating by Liverpool having 12 balloons on the pitch instead of 11.

Heard this earlier which quite amused me...everybody played like a balloon barring Pepe. 

Anyway, I agree with everyone who says we shouldn't appeal.  Play sh*t like that and you deserve to lose.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,389 posts | 2823 
      Reply #26: Oct 18, 2009 07:21:00 pm
      256 guests...
      dave09
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 153 posts | -1 
      Reply #27: Oct 18, 2009 07:21:30 pm
      what happens if sunderland qualify for europe 1 point ahead of other teams,will they complain then and try to sue
      StevieG123

• 9,716 posts | 65 
      Reply #28: Oct 18, 2009 07:24:05 pm
      We lost the game because we played like muppets, if they hadn't scored from the beach ball, they'd have scored some other way.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #29: Oct 18, 2009 09:19:10 pm
      We lost the game because we played like muppets, if they hadn't scored from the beach ball, they'd have scored some other way.

Well there's a chance it could have ended 0-0 because they fluffed some golden chances as well, but yes we certainly didn't deserve anything but maybe a point, which then woulda been harsh on Sunderland.
      Fact is, although id love for their to be a way to be able to replay the match, scrap it, it won't. Hopefully it'll set an example, but for now let's just move on. We are not a club that looks for excuses, thats those cu*ts down in Manchester. Let's be that club we always have been who holds ourselves accountable and doesn't try to gloss over a sh*te performance with an excuse.
      Look at what went wrong, fix it, move on and then stuff these manc bas**rds this weekend.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #30: Oct 18, 2009 09:26:32 pm
      Let it go folks. We played sh*te, they got a lucky break. We lost. these are the facts. Nothing is going to change. Just take it on the chin.
      dave09
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 153 posts | -1 
      Reply #31: Oct 18, 2009 09:30:05 pm
      how can steve bruce say sunderland dserved to win,to win you need to put away your chances,sunderland were actually lucky this goal was given otherwise they would have been criticised for not taken their chances
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,924 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #32: Oct 18, 2009 09:49:07 pm
      No point of an appeal as the team were shocking.
      CurlyRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 799 posts |
      Reply #33: Oct 18, 2009 09:52:46 pm
      Well started playing more like themselves on the 60min mark - better once Masc came on.  Still would have preferred a draw tothe loss but nothing can be done now
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #34: Oct 18, 2009 09:58:21 pm
      Appeal?No,nothing's going to change the result, so move on to the Lyon game.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #35: Oct 18, 2009 10:08:47 pm
      Lyon = Lion.

Lion = cat.

Cats like playing with balls.

Come on lads.

RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #36: Oct 18, 2009 11:05:13 pm
      Lyon = Lion.

Lion = cat.

Cats like playing with balls.

Come on lads.

Let's hope the only balls we see are attached to our players.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,345 posts | 1532 
      Reply #37: Oct 18, 2009 11:15:35 pm
      The referee did consult with his assistant before allowing the goal. He said " should I allow that goal, I'm sure if any outside influence interfears with the ball I have to halt the game, have the object removed,  and restart the game with a drop ball"? ANSWER. " Yeah, but it's against Liverpool, you know the instructions, F**k the rules, you have to give the goal".  :f_tongueincheek:
      Stevie-G-
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 169 posts |
      Reply #38: Oct 18, 2009 11:19:24 pm
      Absolutely shocking decision to give this goal but nothing will happen about it,let's just move on to the Lyon game.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #39: Oct 18, 2009 11:23:05 pm
      Theres more chance of Everton winning the Premier Leagu than any appeal being heard or game being replayed, just another we have to put behind us and march onto the next game. The whole team was piss poor and got their just desserts for a lackluster display, Sunderland got a bit of luck , but thats football.
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,849 posts | 68 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #40: Oct 18, 2009 11:26:01 pm
      Maybe the supporter who threw the beach ball on did it for Voronin in the hope he could score with it ? but anyway the result stands and should be a lesson to all officials ...if there is a foreign object on the pitch ( no i don't mean Voronin ) then remove it after stopping play and a bounce up .
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #41: Oct 18, 2009 11:35:59 pm
      Maybe the supporter who threw the beach ball on did it for Voronin in the hope he could score with it ? but anyway the result stands and should be a lesson to all officials ...if there is a foreign object on the pitch ( no I don't mean Voronin ) then remove it after stopping play and a bounce up .
      No your'e wrong,if it is Voronin,still remove it.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #42: Oct 18, 2009 11:43:39 pm

Reckon it would have been 0-0 myself.

Anyway, it does raise a pretty important question.  Premiership referee's get a fair amount of pay these days.

I'm fairly sure they only have two requirements in their job

a) be physically fit
      b) know the laws of the game

Is it really asking too much for referees in a league worth billions of pounds to have read the rules of the game?
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #43: Oct 18, 2009 11:45:59 pm
      They're too worried about the FA's 'this season' clauses to think about the actual rules. They must run around thinking 'If two feet off the floor then yellow card, even if ball won', or repeating the off-side clause in their heads 'if he's coming back and doesn't touch it, but when he does'...

Plus, they're all sh*t.
      Coutinho_10
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 461 posts |
      • Don't take yourself too seriously...
      Reply #44: Oct 19, 2009 01:40:45 am
      We're not going to get anything out of an appeal, we never F***ing do.
      But, if we had an alcoholic as a manager, were arrogant tw*ts, and hired our ex players to score 90th minute own goals we'd get everything given to us.
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #45: Oct 19, 2009 02:41:42 am
      The general opinion on this subject is that because we played so poorly people want to forget about the beach ball and move on.

Fans are saying that we had 85 minutes to score, and we were sh*te, so we deserved to lose anyway. Some are admitting that only thanks to Reina we kept it to 1-0 where it could have been 3-0.

Could it be that a freak deflection off a beach ball could become the catalyst for the players to turn it all around? If at the end of the season we are parading the trophy around Liverpool will we be saying "this all started with infamous "beachball" incident.
      "we never lost another game after the beachball incident"
      g.adair
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 164 posts |
      Reply #46: Oct 19, 2009 02:48:07 am
      Not Liverpool's style. We lost we move on
      spot on
      j-max
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 91 posts |
      Reply #47: Oct 19, 2009 04:01:06 am
      We should if we can
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #48: Oct 19, 2009 05:06:44 am
      It was a fu**ed up situation and I love rafa's response to not go nuts and to move on. We shouldn't review it as it would set a precident and personally I don't trust the premier league, uefa or fifa to be consistent now or in the future. If they ruled in our favour now it would only bite us in the arse in another issue in the future. The ref and all his team were muppets but our team were the bigger problem in the way they failed to deliver.
      robbyr
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #49: Oct 19, 2009 09:34:44 am
      To me the game has been tainted, an unfair result, all the refs seem to admit it was wrong , so why isnt something done about this, surly some sort of review panel should make a decision, it may only be one point, but this season one point could mean everything.
      vydex
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | -5 
      Reply #50: Oct 19, 2009 11:30:15 am
      I have to say that I admire the way Rafa has accepted this with such humility and class, if that had been Neil Big Nose Warnock or Ferguson we would not have heard the end of it.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,946 posts | 5007 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #51: Oct 19, 2009 11:58:23 am
      Cant see the point, We were sh*te, End of, Yes Pepe may have been distracted, And yeah the ref should have stopped the game, But tbh, Sunderland were the better team on the day and would have felt robbed had they not got the 3pts, Imagine it happened to us at the other end, A replay, It's the sort of thing 'ol whiskey nose' would demand,Admit defeat gracefully and move on.

YNWA   IRWT
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #52: Oct 19, 2009 11:59:58 am
      I have to say that I admire the way Rafa has accepted this with such humility and class, if that had been Neil Big Nose Warnock or Ferguson we would not have heard the end of it.

Ditto.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #53: Oct 19, 2009 02:28:44 pm
      Na no way should we appeal..we were sh*t it could have been worse,fair play to sunderland they deserved it we didnt end of.

Lets just move on and get a result against lyon and the scumbags.
      The Kop Kid
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 150 posts |
      Reply #54: Oct 19, 2009 02:44:03 pm
      You can appeal all you like mate, it won't make a blind bit of difference.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #55: Oct 19, 2009 02:44:52 pm
      If Darren Bent had been on his usual form we would have lost by an enormous amount we looked empty lazy and second class the beach ball was just a distraction from all of the above..
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #56: Oct 19, 2009 04:29:36 pm
      Should we appeal? I don't think so. I know that the referee should stop the game to allow removing of the ball but will it changed the fact that we didn't play our best football that day? And if we do appeal, I don't think the result will be in our favour. Firstly, it's not their supporter who threw in the ball, it was ours. So being that a solid case to present on behalf of Sunderland should we make an appeal, I don't think we stand a chance.

Liverpool is either yoou win it or lose it. There's no way around!
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      Reply #57: Oct 19, 2009 04:35:12 pm
      Referee Mike Jones On Championship Duty After Sunderland's 'Beach Ball' Goal Against Liverpool
      The ref has been temporarily moved down a level as Benitez remains philosophical...
      Mike Jones will referee in the Championship next weekend after controversially allowing Sunderland's winning goal against Liverpool to stand on Saturday.

Darren Bent's shot struck a beach ball thrown onto the pitch by a Liverpool fan and deflected past Pepe Reina into the net. Although most observers were ignorant of the precise rules governing such an incident, it later transpired that the goal should have been disallowed.

FIFA's laws of the game state "the referee should stop, suspend or abandon the match because of outside interference of any kind". The game should therefore have re-started with a dropped ball.

The Premier League today confirmed that the match would not be replayed, but Jones will now officiate the game between Peterborough United and Scunthorpe United at London Road.

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez accepted that there was little the Reds could do now, but hoped that the incident would at least make things clearer in the future.

"We know there was a mistake, so that's it," he mused to reporters at a press conference today. "We don't want to change things, and we cannot change things so it's better to move forward.

"From the bench I couldn't see the ball. After when we watched the replay we were surprised because we thought it was a balloon. It was more than a balloon!

"But I think it's clear, all the experts agree that the goal could be disallowed, and that's it. So now in the future it will maybe be easier for the rest of the teams.

"I think it's just a special situation so hopefully in the future it will not happen again. It's something that you cannot stop, the referee has to see these things before."
      http://www.talkaloadofbull.com/en/news/9/england/2009/10/19/1570855/referee-mike-jones-on-championship-duty-after-sunderlands
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #58: Oct 19, 2009 05:25:35 pm
      If we complain about it then we sound like Ferguson and Man. U , making excuses for losses.  But if the rule states that the goal should be disallowed then it should be disallowed.  Its not a grey area, it was clearly deflected off the beachball.  The rule is their for this instsnce. Beyond doubt.

I would certainly take a draw out of it or a replay of the match, but it just makes us look like bitches.
      robbyr
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #59: Oct 19, 2009 05:39:53 pm
      a lot of you are missing the point
      had this goal not gone in, it may have been a very different game, heres hoping but maybe would have been more confident if we were not a goal down so early.

also what would happen if somebody threw another snooker ball onto a snooker table whilst a pro match was on or god forbid a brick in front of jenson button yesterday. It just isnt fair, now if it was another team then maybe things would be done, you all know who im talking about.
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #60: Oct 19, 2009 05:40:51 pm
      Anyone remember the goal the mancs conceded a couple of years ago against tottenham when the ball was miles over the line and Graham Norton flapped it out and the goal wasn't given?
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      Reply #61: Oct 19, 2009 05:59:50 pm
      SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 11 
      • We see things they'll NEVER see!!!
      Reply #62: Oct 19, 2009 06:24:50 pm
      Just accept the facts: the goal was given, we lost, we played like sh*t, we aren't going to appeal, and there is no point dwelling in the past because we have got far more important matches coming up in the next 2 weeks

end of.
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #63: Oct 19, 2009 10:42:36 pm
      Completly agree with you.Lets acceptance this the way Rafa has and move on..
      Just accept the facts: the goal was given, we lost, we played like sh*t, we aren't going to appeal, and there is no point dwelling in the past because we have got far more important matches coming up in the next 2 weeks

end of.
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #64: Oct 19, 2009 10:43:53 pm
      Can someone explain to be why any fan would bring a beach ball to the game anyway?How does that help to cheer on the lads...?
      barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #65: Oct 20, 2009 01:56:59 am
      Recently. (in the club shop)  there was a special on the beach set that includes the beach ball  (10 pounds)

I think with the prices of merchandise in the club shop the lads parents may have been looking for a bargain. Maybe thats all he had with the badge on it.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6742 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #66: Oct 20, 2009 09:39:25 am
      Like the saying goes, Build a Bridge and get over it.

Done, dusted, sh*t happens (more usually than not, against us) but let's just move onto beating Lyon.
      alwaysred
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      Reply #67: Oct 20, 2009 09:43:14 am
      Liverpool Beach Ball T-Shirt

We'll probably see some of these these on Sunday as the beach balls are now sold out.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #68: Oct 20, 2009 09:53:07 am
      Shouldn't that T-Shirt read Beach Ball 1 - Liverpool 0 ?

F***ing Muppets!  :tosser:
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #69: Oct 20, 2009 10:02:08 am
      Man city loses to a baloon

It's happened before!

But yeah, there's no point blaming the ball or the referee. It's just that our (another) poor performance was overshadowed by the ball. The beach ball incident doesn't hide the fact that we didn't turn up.

We should accept the result and move on to the next game. No point harping on it.
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #70: Oct 20, 2009 10:39:17 am
      We were sh*t, end of. All complaining will do is make us look ridiculous, and achieve nothing. It's over, and Sunderland were by far the better side anyway, deserved defeat.
      johnstop
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,745 posts | 23 
      Reply #71: Oct 20, 2009 10:50:42 am
      Hopefully Utd will arrive with their fans in an obvious gloating mood loaded with beachballs.Maybe this is themoment were players will look at themselves and instead of looking ot Stevie and Nando they will look at themselves and perform to a level they know is required for LFC and that starts with 100% commitment.
      2 wins and it will all be forgotten about.
      alsmal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,539 posts | 34 
      • Right or wrong, its MY opinion.
      Reply #72: Oct 20, 2009 12:40:46 pm
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #73: Oct 20, 2009 04:56:36 pm
      Seen that my Manc mate joined both a group and a page on Facebook called something like 'Liverpool Beachball Society'.

Who reckon's we should make a page named 'Fergie's Whiskey' - wonder how many fans that'll get.

Quick Reply